* * * * * 2 votes

20% Off eshop, Xbox, Facebook, iTunes cards @ Family Dollar 3/20-3/27

Nintendo eshop Xbox Facebook iTunes

#151 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   2913 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:21 PM

Jesus Christ.

#152 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14076 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:25 PM

I have 3 Family Dollar stores in my town, but they're all in extremely shady neighborhoods. Our local weekly ad makes no mention of the gaming card deal. Is it worth risking my personal safety to drive and check, or is this likely a regional deal?

It's at every Family Dollar, YMMV for the competence of the staff. Shrike and I had no issues in south St. Louis County (on Thursday) but as you can see others aren't as lucky.

For us in STL it was in the ads that come every week via postal mail, it was a 4-page flyer.

#153 IronZombie   Time to Feed CAGiversary!   1476 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

IronZombie

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:16 PM

So the consensus is that the Xbox deal works then? I have one a couple miles away, also in a shady neighborhood (go figure) but it's worth it to stock up on some cash in preparation for Quantum Break.

#154 lyric706   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1134 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:24 PM

Just tried again at my location for Xbox cards. Now, the UPC on the ring behind the counter can't be used at all. Some shady stuff right there from Family Dollar corporate.

#155 IronZombie   Time to Feed CAGiversary!   1476 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

IronZombie

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:43 PM

Just tried again at my location for Xbox cards. Now, the UPC on the ring behind the counter can't be used at all. Some shady stuff right there from Family Dollar corporate.

What do you mean? The cards didn't ring up?

#156 lyric706   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1134 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:49 PM

What do you mean? The cards didn't ring up?

Right. The register wouldn't accept the UPC code for any Xbox card on the ring. Meaning: They couldn't sell them to me.

#157 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14076 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:00 PM

Anyone else have an issue today?

#158 applecider   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   228 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

applecider

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:06 PM

I am amazed at the amount of people terrified of low income neighborhoods. It's not as if there are hourly drive-by shootings and gangs of "thugs" waiting to mug you at the Family Dollar. It's okay, the "poors" don't bite and their poverty is not contagious.

#159 dennisb407   Banned Banned   5420 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

dennisb407

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:14 PM

I have 3 Family Dollar stores in my town, but they're all in extremely shady neighborhoods. Our local weekly ad makes no mention of the gaming card deal. Is it worth risking my personal safety to drive and check, or is this likely a regional deal?

just go. You can't be a pussy forever. SMH

#160 jimbo8574   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   7522 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:14 PM

7-11 robbed a couple doors down from a Family Dollar I might try tomorrow. I will be in that hood tomorrow afternoon. Sorry some area are shit holes and I can understand people not wanting to deal with it for a few bucks. Especially when half the time people aren't even able to actually get the deal.

http://hudsonvalleyn...epsie-7-eleven/

#161 IronZombie   Time to Feed CAGiversary!   1476 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

IronZombie

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:15 PM

Right. The register wouldn't accept the UPC code for any Xbox card on the ring. Meaning: They couldn't sell them to me.

That's a bummer. Is it worth me heading over and trying or is it just a one-off situation in your store? This is crazy how badly they're handling it. Any other store would've overrided the deal manually because it says in their own f***ing ad that it's supposed to work. These guys just shrug and let you walk out of there with empty hands. That's bad business.

I am amazed at the amount of people terrified of low income neighborhoods. It's not as if there are hourly drive-by shootings and gangs of "thugs" waiting to mug you at the Family Dollar. It's okay, the "poors" don't bite and their poverty is not contagious.

Haven't read the entire thread so perhaps some people gave that impression. Not here though. To be honest I'm just too lazy to drive all the way there more than anything. The bad neighborhood remark was out of pure amusement. These stores really are only in bad areas.

#162 pacifickarma   Master of Orion CAGiversary!   2298 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

pacifickarma

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:20 PM

just go. You can't be a pussy forever. SMH

My town has one of the highest per-capita murder rates in the USA. I've lived here for almost 40 years. I'm not a "pussy," I'm a survivor. :)

#163 EDiTOR9   Huh? CAGiversary!   1954 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:21 PM

^Every other comment is about how a CAG could potentially lose his/her life by going to a Family Dollar.

#164 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5550 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:30 PM

^Every other comment is about how a CAG could potentially lose his/her life by going to a Family Dollar.

Tempting fate is half the fun! Adding games that you will never play to your backlog is the other half. But what's life without whimsy? :D

#165 Ratmonkey  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:56 PM

7-11 robbed a couple doors down from a Family Dollar I might try tomorrow. I will be in that hood tomorrow afternoon. Sorry some area are shit holes and I can understand people not wanting to deal with it for a few bucks. Especially when half the time people aren't even able to actually get the deal.

http://hudsonvalleyn...epsie-7-eleven/

"the male suspect took the cash register drawer containing several hundred dollars"

Yeah, that's right....SEVERAL hundred dollars. For a few moments he was a hundredaire.

#166 mrcheapo11   Whoooooooooooooop! CAGiversary!   1477 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

mrcheapo11

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:51 PM

That's a bummer. Is it worth me heading over and trying or is it just a one-off situation in your store? This is crazy how badly they're handling it. Any other store would've overrided the deal manually because it says in their own f***ing ad that it's supposed to work. These guys just shrug and let you walk out of there with empty hands. That's bad business.

You can't just force a transaction with these cards. If an employee were to just make it a generic item and charge the proper price, the card isn't activated nor will a code be printed out on a receipt(it seems there are two types of Xbox GCs). My experience with Family Dollar employees isn't all that great, but you can't blame them for not magically being able to get the system to accept the bar code.

#167 ericpol   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   254 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:52 PM

Yep same here by the same token really didn't want to give them my business anyway. They treat their employees like shit.

#168 rydall   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   58 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:47 PM

I tried multiple family dollars with no luck. Some couldn't get the key ring to discount the card and others had no idea there was a key ring. Bestbuy priced matched the physical ad no problem

#169 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   2913 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:52 AM

I really wish I had the foresight to PM at Best Buy. Could have used dem reward points.

#170 GeeWiz   Cheaper than Cheap! CAGiversary!   2185 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 02:20 AM

I really wish I had the foresight to PM at Best Buy. Could have used dem reward points.

You still can, you have until tomorrow to do so

#171 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   2913 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 26 March 2016 - 02:25 AM

I don't plan to get any more now.

#172 IronZombie   Time to Feed CAGiversary!   1476 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

IronZombie

Posted 26 March 2016 - 02:33 AM

You can't just force a transaction with these cards. If an employee were to just make it a generic item and charge the proper price, the card isn't activated nor will a code be printed out on a receipt(it seems there are two types of Xbox GCs). My experience with Family Dollar employees isn't all that great, but you can't blame them for not magically being able to get the system to accept the bar code.

Not saying I blame the employee. My gripe is with the company as a whole. The deal's been going on for 5 days out of their week and they still haven't fixed it. You would think corporate would have gotten their sh** together and activated it within their system since they planned to have the sale. This is false advertising.

#173 Versafied   Formerly known as vlv723 CAGiversary!   2934 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:20 AM

Here's the sale poster I saw...
9e237ba9fa24af7ac4d541d64619df06.jpg

But...El Hoardo(s) strikes in Whitter, CA!
128ff558ec6feea6f81ff3642b100dfe.jpg

#174 Churchbus   Squirtin out both ends CAGiversary!   96 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Churchbus

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:54 AM

Walked in, grabbed 2 $20 cards, checked out. Easy as cake. The only trouble I had was getting my baby to calm down.

That's right, I took a 6-month-old baby into a Family Dollar. Judging by the responses in this topic, I'm pretty sure that qualifies me as an Internet Badass.

#175 junkie88   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   299 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:53 AM

I had no idea I even had a family dollar anywhere close. There in parts of the town we just drive around rather then through so never knew they were there. First one had no $20 Nintendo cards and no Xbox cards at all. The second had all of them. I grabbed two $20 Nintendo cards and one Xbox card. The Nintendo cards rang up fine the Xbox card didn't work and they needed the key ring. The upc on the key ring for $50 was "invalid". so I had to get two $25.

#176 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5550 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:07 PM

Walked in, grabbed 2 $20 cards, checked out. Easy as cake. The only trouble I had was getting my baby to calm down.

That's right, I took a 6-month-old baby into a Family Dollar. Judging by the responses in this topic, I'm pretty sure that qualifies me as an Internet Badass.

Was your baby "strapped?"

#177 sharpeone   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2160 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:11 PM

Haha, try a very mobile 18-month-old screaming because she wanted to get down in the store :).  Heading back to get more at some point today....without the child :).

#178 jimbo8574   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   7522 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:17 PM

The display at the store near my house was exactly like that.  They were out of the 15/25/50 cards though.  I was wondering how they all fit on one spindle.  Supposedly some guy refills the GCs on Thursday or Friday but haven't been over that way since Tuesday.

Might not bother to stop at that one last FD today.  Shoprite (North East grocery store) had $10 back on $50 in select GCs.  They were out of the XBox cards (had the 3 month subs only).  But it was also good on Game Stop so picked up two $25s. Probably need PSN or Amazon credit more then XBox credit.  But my local game stops sell me any of them and let me us a Game Stop GC.  Or might use my buy 2 get 1 used item free.

Maybe not as sweet as walking out with $50 credit for $40 but $10 back at Shoprite and CVS is close enough.  Will use the CVS $10 coupon today and Shoprite next week when we shop for groceries again.

Anyway good luck to those still trying to get some credit.  

Here's the sale poster I saw...
9e237ba9fa24af7ac4d541d64619df06.jpg

But...El Hoardo(s) strikes in Whitter, CA!
128ff558ec6feea6f81ff3642b100dfe.jpg

#179 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5550 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 02:05 PM

The display at the store near my house was exactly like that.  They were out of the 15/25/50 cards though.  I was wondering how they all fit on one spindle.  Supposedly some guy refills the GCs on Thursday or Friday but haven't been over that way since Tuesday.

Might not bother to stop at that one last FD today.  Shoprite North East (grocery store) had $10 back on $50 in select GCs.  They were out of the XBox cards (had the 3 month subs only).  But it was also good on Game Stop so picked up two $25s. Probably need PSN or Amazon credit more then XBox credit.  But my local game stops sell me any of them and let me us a Game Stop GC.  Or might use my buy 2 get 1 used item free.

Maybe not as sweet as walking out with $50 credit for $40 but $10 back at Shoprite and CVS is close enough.  Will use the CVS $10 coupon today and Shoprite next week when we shop for groceries again.

Anyway good luck to those still trying to get some credit.  

When I went to get Xbox credit the other day, the Xbox cards looked the exact same way, which was why they had to scan the key ring to get the codes to ring up.  I'm assuming that the Family Dollar store in the photo never had physical cards just like the second one I went to.  In other words, you tell the cashier which denomination you want and he or she will ring it up for you.  I wish they had Shoprite here, but they don't.  At the moment, I could use a GameStop gift card deal because I could get way more use out of a Steam card than an Xbox card.

#180 jimbo8574   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   7522 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 02:23 PM

The first store I went to tried the keyring cards the first time.  Second time manager was there and said keyring cards will not work.  Need physical.  Store near my job had limited gift cards, no poster, no physical or Live cards on the keyring the cashier looked through.

Tempted to try one last time at a different store but I was able to pickup $50 GS credit and $50 Live this week and get $20 back.  Both times it just worked.  CVS cashier pointed out the coupon at the bottom of the receipt.  The Shoprite cashier did not.  It was one of those catalina coupons which some times are out of paper but was all good this time.  

Probably good enough for me.  Will have to see how pressed I am for time later when I am running errands.