Feeling ripped-off by Sony

epobirs

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Recently, Sony had a promotion on the Playstation Store wherein if you spent $100 or more by a certain date, you would receive $15 back in store credit. They've run this promotion previously and I don't recall there being any problems but it didn't work out that way this time around.

Life sometimes gets in the way of important things like gaming and I'm forced to admit that I'll sometimes go weeks at a time without turning on one or more of my games systems. When participating in the most recent promotion I failed to notice that it required watching for a message containing the redemption code for $15 on the consoles' messaging system. I'm not into online multi-player, so I don't have much use for the internal messaging system, nor did I think Sony would it as the sole means to tell me my redemption code was waiting and it would expire on March 31.

Now, virtually every other activity involving money or even zero sums, such as game purchases or adding funds to the PSN wallet, causes an email to be sent to my specified address. If Sony had notified me by email the redemption code was waiting and I had a looming deadline, I could have taken a few minutes to fire up the Vita or PS4 long enough to deal with it, even if I'd have to wistfully then shut it off for lack gaming time. No, in this instance Sony did not send an email and I only discovered the message with the redemption code when I turned on my vita on April 2, two days after the code had expired.

I spent a good deal of time waiting for a chat session with a PSN representative and the response I got was essentially, "You should have read the fine print, sucker. Sucks to be you." If this had been a face to face encounter with a live human I'm not sure if I would have been able to rest the urge to violence.

This is BS on Sony's part in multiple ways. First, why such a short time period, less than a month, to redeem the code before it expired? What's the rush? Second, why the dependence on the console messaging system and no email? Yet Sony has no problem sending me documentation of every transaction, no matter how minor, not to mention at least two ads every week. They have no problem sending email when there is a legal obligation or when trying to get me to buy more stuff.

I cannot help thinking this is entirely intentional on their part. Much as many companies offer rebates with maximal hassle factors to avoid paying out whenever possible, I have no doubt that some valued Sony employee structured this in hopes of screwing people out of the promised store credit. That is what really makes furious about all of this. The appearance of intent to deny payment to customers acting in good faith.

It wasn't a huge amount of money and it was spread across a considerable number of games in the then flash sale, so each game cost me an extra dollar or so more than originally calculated in light of the promotion. OTOH, I spent more than I would have otherwise because the game that put me past the $100 requirement was priced a bit higher than I'd normally go for, just to get across that line.

If this was just Sony being stupid I'd be irritated. But the feeling that this was the intended result has me feeling a need to take action. Just what I cannot say yet but something will come to me. Raising this in a public forum like CAG is a start.

While I do agree that they should allow more time to use the code, you really should have kept up on the terms of the promotion if you planned on using it. This isn't the first time they've only done PSN messages for the spend $XX get $XX back promo.

at lease you got the code i didnt many times and i stopped doing them and there CS Suckso they will not help u

During these promos I get an email from playstation store with the $15 credit code, to the account associated with my psn. And I have never not gotten the code. 

Overall my experience with ps store customer service has been pretty good, they gave me a few refunds when I mis-bought things etc. 

Try calling their customer service.  $15 isn't nothing, it's worth at least asking them to send you another code, they might say no, but it costs you nothing to ask.

During these promos I get an email from playstation store with the $15 credit code, to the account associated with my psn. And I have never not gotten the code.

Overall my experience with ps store customer service has been pretty good, they gave me a few refunds when I mis-bought things etc.
That is no longer the case. As far as they care, if you don't pay attention to the console's internal messaging system, you have only yourself to blame. They flat out told me it was my fault for expecting things to be done in a reasonable fashion. Essentially, the Animal house excuse: "You fucked up, you trusted us!"

That is no longer the case. As far as they care, if you don't pay attention to the console's internal messaging system, you have only yourself to blame. They flat out told me it was my fault for expecting things to be done in a reasonable fashion. Essentially, the Animal house excuse: "You fucked up, you trusted us!"
Do you ever take a break from trying to blame everyone else but yourself? You keep mentioning how Sony could have taken simple little actions like sending you an email as a reminder about the deadline. But why do you not blame yourself also for not taking a few seconds to read the details of the promotion? I agree that a reminder email would be nice, but to say that you "feel ripped off by Sony" for making assumptions and not reading the promotion details is ridiculous.

Were you not curious at all about how they were going to send you the code? Unless they specifically said they were going to send it to you by email, you're at fault for mysteriously assuming that it'll be sent by email. If you can't read and fulfill your obligations in a deal, don't participate in the deal. Imagine if millions of customers acted like a whiny little brat like you calling up Sony after every promotion asking for a new code because they were too lazy to read the details that were pretty clearly written. Do you think they should hand out millions of codes every time if people complain? Stop being so selfish and just accept your fault and loss that you brought onto yourself.

But hey, if you still think you're right and they're wrong, you should sue them for fraud and see how that goes. I doubt any judge will side with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back