New Trailer for Star Wars Rogue One movie

bsmith

CAG Newbie
What do you guys think? It is the story of how the rebels stole the death star plans. It comes out this December. 

I gotta admit, those AT-AT's attacking that rebel base gave me some chills. Also looks like Forest Whitaker is bringing his Ghost Dog persona which is cool. Wonder if he is a Jedi outcast or what.

Wasn't this the plot of Dark Forces?
Yep

Honestly I don't think we need a backstory about how the rebels got the plans. It's too bad that Star Wars Rebels fills the gap between Ep 3 and 4. Looks very convincing though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't get why a story about how the plans were stolen needed to be made into a prequel to episode 4.

Honestly if you think about it since it seems that SW: Rebels is considered *Cannon* , it could have been easy and cheaper to have an arc in the final episodes of season 3 (which is said to be the last one!) that could have told the story how the rebels stole the plans.

I really see no need for a Han Solo movie or a Fett movie. We don't need the love story about how Solo met/freed Chewie.

This movie feels like a high quality fan film though.

Honestly yeah it's all about the money as we are getting towards the end of Marvel Cinematic Universe within the next 5 years and Disney needs another cash cow to keep it going. I would NOT be surprised if we see two star wars type movies every year if this movie becomes a hit.

You really need to have someone spell this out for you?

IMAX day one for me!
Yes, that and multiple viewings for me... TFA got 5 viewings out of me before I quit lol. I couldn't beat my TPM 6 viewings.

I *might* wait until the second week to see it in IMAX.. I had to wait 90 minutes in line for the IMAX viewing (real IMAX not digital Imax)

Wait what? Are you kidding me? Three Trailers, Rogue Friday, Toy displays at Target and Walmart and TRU.... have you been living in a cave on Dagobah? :p
Unless all this stuff came out last week I've seen nothing outside the original trailer. There's been little to no buzz between my friends and co-workers. I seriously forgot this was a thing. I went to Target a couple weeks ago and strolled through the toy aisle and don't remember seeing any Rouge One stuff. Then again my Target here in Dagobah hasn't even put up Christmas stuff yet.

Saw it this afternoon and the movie looks great. It has a VERY different tone from the rest of the series and while the story has been told before, this is a pretty fresh take and ties everything together nicely albeit fanservice-y. I can wait to see the sequel! :D

I saw it yesterday and definitely enjoyed it more than Force Awakens. Didn't seem like it was going out of its way to reference the original trilogy the way Force Awakens constantly did. For the most part cameos and references didn't feel out of place (aside from a couple).

I love Star Wars but this film was pretty awful. Not sure how it's getting the reviews it is, other than paid/blind fans. Jyn is a vehicle for the story and a terribly written character. I couldn't muster the care for her all the way through the film and hilarious as it sounds, the droid K2 had more life than her. The action is where it's at, but it honestly breaks down each time you move on from a battle, trudging on through a point A to point B movie. That's really what holds it back, is that this story was already set in stone given the preceding movies so much so that you can't really enjoy the journey as you already know the ending. Sadly, my main attraction, the battle for Scarif, was a huge letdown for me as a fan of war machines as well.

Overall, I asked myself the question whether I'd ever wish to view Rogue One again and the answer was an easy "no".

I saw it yesterday and definitely enjoyed it more than Force Awakens. Didn't seem like it was going out of its way to reference the original trilogy the way Force Awakens constantly did. For the most part cameos and references didn't feel out of place (aside from a couple).
Totally agree.

I love Star Wars but this film was pretty awful. Not sure how it's getting the reviews it is, other than paid/blind fans. Jyn is a vehicle for the story and a terribly written character. I couldn't muster the care for her all the way through the film and hilarious as it sounds, the droid K2 had more life than her. The action is where it's at, but it honestly breaks down each time you move on from a battle, trudging on through a point A to point B movie. That's really what holds it back, is that this story was already set in stone given the preceding movies so much so that you can't really enjoy the journey as you already know the ending. Sadly, my main attraction, the battle for Scarif, was a huge letdown for me as a fan of war machines as well.

Overall, I asked myself the question whether I'd ever wish to view Rogue One again and the answer was an easy "no".
I didn't care much for her either and yeah, K2 was my favorite rogue as well. Like you said though, the action is where this movie shines and it's what made it enjoyable for me. The sets were amazing and I loved how everything wasn't clean and sterile like in TFA. The corridor scene was pretty decent, but I think it missed the true menace of the character. Comics did it a lot better.

The beginning was pretty boring but the best part would have to be at the end when it was all action. The action part are definitely the strong point of the movie.

Finally watched this since it came out on BR. I can see why it got good reviews, it is pretty good. Lots of fan service though but some of it they could get away with as it did resolve a few things. I enjoyed this way more than The Force Awakens by a longshot. The last 45 minutes of it was amazing; loved the space battle at the end the most which is huge for me as I think they've always been fun to watch in any SW movie but have always enjoyed the ground action more in the others.

- Was Tarkin all CGI or did they get a guy that sounded like him in it and used CGI to "sharpen" him up to look just like Cushing? I know they used CGI in some capacity. Whatever they did that was a hell of a job.

- I knew from reviews most were not fans of the soundtrack and I figured those were John Williams fanboys bitching just to bitch but after hearing it I can understand. It's a bit odd though as Michael Giacchino is a great composer and usually works with JJ Abrams who didn't direct this obviously but still. His stuff on Lost was especially good. People probably would have complained if he did this but perhaps he should have tried to blending in some of his original stuff with existing Williams songs? I bet if fans got to hear more familiar tunes they wouldn't have reacted so harsh as even Williams reused existing songs with his newer stuff in TFA.

- I read the original ending was changed a couple times. Originally, they all survived then they changed it to them dying once they found out Disney wanted it to be dark. Apparently they were to die at the hands of Vader in that hallway scene that we see those Rebels get slaughtered in in the final cut. That was too much though apparently so they changed the team's death to be on the planet. I actually kinda am glad they did that...that would have been a huge downer to see Vader tear through all of them like that in the end and I liked the individual deaths the characters had on the planet, especially Jyn's with the impending blast coming her way.

- Maybe I missed something but it seemed like they were able to cope with the AT ATs in this like they were an afterthought compared to ESB where an entire army spent 20 minutes trying to take them down.

The AT-AT fight was bullshit IMO. It was the biggest letdown of the film other than the hollow characters. I love war machines and there's no way a few ground troops and x-wings would take down one that fast, let alone a column.

The AT-AT fight was bullshit IMO. It was the biggest letdown of the film other than the hollow characters. I love war machines and there's no way a few ground troops and x-wings would take down one that fast, let alone a column.
Bit funny considering they take 20 minutes in ESB just to take them out with Snowspeeders and in the end didn't even take them all out. XD In this they had rocket launchers but you also saw the X-Wings get in on the action one wonders why they didn't send them in Hoth at the start since they had them. Could proton torpedo them if nothing else.

bread's done
Back