* - - - - 6 votes

Best Buy Ad 4/17-4/23

#1 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1901 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 06:45 PM

Games:

• :wiiu: Star Fox Zero $59.99 (Available Friday)
    • Get the Falco amiibo for $4.99 with the purchase of Star Fox Zero
    • Star Fox Zero Collector's Edition Guide $34.99
  • :3ds: Bravely Second: End Layer $39.99
  • Untitled-1-1.gifUntitled-2.gif Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 $39.99 Save $20
  • Untitled-1-1.gifUntitled-2.gif Need For Speed $39.99 Save $20
  • Untitled-1-1.gifUntitled-2.gif :wiiu: Guitar Hero Live $59.99 Save $20
  • Untitled-1-1.gifUntitled-2.gif Guitar Hero Live Guitar 2-Pack Bundle $79.99 Save $20
  • Untitled-1-1.gifUntitled-2.gif Call of Duty: Black Ops III $39.99 Save $20

Everything Else:

• Save $50 on all Xbox One consoles
  • Save $20 on an Xbox One Controller when you buy an Xbox One console
  • Save $5 on 3 months of Xbox Live with purchase of any new Xbox One or Xbox 360 game or accessory
  • Buy 1 Get 1 Free on Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Takeover
  • Buy 1 Get 1 Free on Disney Infinity 3.0 Power Discs
  • Free Marvel's Avengers 3 Pack with purchase of Marvel Battlegrounds Playset
  • Xbox One Dusk Shadow Wireless Controller $69.99
  • Seagate 2TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive for Xbox One and Xbox 360 $99.99 Save $20
  • Guitar Hero Guitar $29.99 Save $10

New Release Blu-ray (Available Tuesday)

• The Revenant 4K $29.99
  • Ip Man Trilogy Only @ iconbestbuy.gif Steelbook $24.99
  • Norm of the North $19.99
  • Fifty Shades of Black $19.99
  • Veep: The Complete Fourth Season $24.99
  • Silicon Valley: The Complete Second Season $24.99

This is from the digital ad. Paper ads resume May 1st.

#2 Flash15   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   6526 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 06:48 PM

Thanks. Is there anything difference between the normal Seagate 3.0 External Hard Drive and the Xbox One besides the color? Do they both perform the same? I need one so I'm wondering why the 'Xbox' one is more expensive.

#3 Darby27   Licensed to Dill CAGiversary!   13528 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 06:54 PM

Thanks. Is there anything difference between the normal Seagate 3.0 External Hard Drive and the Xbox One besides the color? Do they both perform the same? I need one so I'm wondering why the 'Xbox' one is more expensive.

It's more expensive because it says Xbox on it and is green.

No other difference.

#4 Faithful   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   617 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Faithful

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:17 PM

Plants v Zombies 2 for $32 after GCU looks pretty good to me!

#5 jvang117   Friendly CAG CAGiversary!   3269 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:24 PM

Ip Man Trilogy steelbook? Take my money!

#6 jtfox21   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   159 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:58 PM

Ip Man Trilogy steelbook? Take my money!

What is this?

#7 dennisb407   Banned Banned   5420 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

dennisb407

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:01 PM

What is this?

https://www.facebook.com/IpManTrilogy/

#8 jtfox21   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   159 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:20 PM

https://www.facebook.com/IpManTrilogy/

Well I researched when I asked... saw some Mike Tyson stuff in the 3rd movie... Bruce Lee in the 2nd and 3rd movie... just wondering why I haven't heard of it until this ad?

Rotten Tomatoes has around 90% fresh for each movie... but Meta is sitting around 70% for each. Kindve a wide spread.

#9 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2649 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:30 PM

Well I researched when I asked... saw some Mike Tyson stuff in the 3rd movie... Bruce Lee in the 2nd and 3rd movie... just wondering why I haven't heard of it until this ad?

Rotten Tomatoes has around 90% fresh for each movie... but Meta is sitting around 70% for each. Kindve a wide spread.

I don't know why he linked to a facebook page to explain, but these are movies about one of the greatest martial arts masters of all time, known as "Yip Man". He trained Bruce Lee, and their relationship is the focus of Ip Man 2. They are pretty good -- the Metacritic/RT discrepancy makes sense if you know how they actually reach those scores, and personally I think Metacritic is trash.

I haven't seen Ip Man 3, though, and Mike Tyson starring in it is offputting.

#10 starmask2k3   CAG MASTER'S Trading Ban   13735 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

starmask2k3

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:25 PM

no revenant steelbook @bby

#11 KrayzieKMF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3090 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:31 PM

You've never seen the first Ip Man? It is great. I don't know about 2 and 3 though.

#12 Righteous Nixon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   874 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Righteous Nixon

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:00 PM

- the Metacritic/RT discrepancy makes sense if you know how they actually reach those scores, and personally I think Metacritic is trash.

Nobody knows exactly how they reach those scores as each site has thier own proprietary methods for scoring and weighting averages and they do not make those algorithms or methods public. So this post really doesnt make any sense since you really have no clue how they actually reach their scores. The idea behind an aggregate review site is simple enough, but again all of these sites have thier own proprietry methods for scoring. They don't just simply add up the scores and divide by the number of reviews. Its the same for IMDB as well. Again, they all have thier own proprietary methods of scoring and they have never been made public before.

#13 crazedracerguy   Guitar Slinger! CAGiversary!   5537 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

crazedracerguy

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:02 PM

For those of you interested in The Revenant for the digital code - the HDX copy will be on sale at VUDU this week for $9.99...

#14 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2649 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:10 PM

Nobody knows exactly how they reach those scores as each site has thier own proprietary method for scoring and weighting averages and they do not make those algorithms or methods public. So this post really doesnt make any sense since you really have no clue how they actually reach those scores. The idea behind an aggregate review site is simple enough, but again all of these sites have thier own proprietry method for scoring. They don't just simply add up the scores and divide by the number of reviews. Its the same for IMDB as well. Again, they all have thier own proprietary methods of scoring and they have never been made public before. 

But you can know enough about the basics (score average vs positive/negative average) to believe one over the other. Neither should be taken as absolute truth, obviously, but I find RT to be much more reliable. Especially since Metacritic will assign scores to reviews with no score, which is insane, although from reading the text it's easy to tell if it's positive or negative.

There's also the issue of Metacritic not taking different rating scales into account. For example, if someone only rates from 1 to 5, they can't get lower than 20, and there's a pretty sharp divide between the stars. It's just always struck me as asinine.

#15 Righteous Nixon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   874 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Righteous Nixon

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:20 PM

But you can know enough about the basics (score average vs positive/negative average) to believe one over the other. Neither should be taken as absolute truth, obviously, but I find RT to be much more reliable. Especially since Metacritic will assign scores to reviews with no score, which is insane, although from reading the text it's easy to tell if it's positive or negative.

There's also the issue of Metacritic not taking different rating scales into account. For example, if someone only rates from 1 to 5, they can't get lower than 20, and there's a pretty sharp divide between the stars. It's just always struck me as asinine.

Thats just it, they don't make the average score numbers available. The only way to get that would be to add up all the scores and figure out the average yourself. And If you do so, you will find that all of the aggregate review sites currently on the internet devaiate from that figure, sometimes dramatically so. So knowing about score average and positive vs negative is one thing. Actually figuring out those figures with each film is something else entirely. Without knowing the weighted system they are using for averages, there is no way of knowing which site is rmore accurate to the true average. And its very likley that it changes depending on the film. I am sure RT is more accurate with some films and MC is more accurate with others. It would take a LOT of work, on a regualr ongoing basis, to figure out just which one is more accurate on a regular basis. 

Either way, without knowing those proprietary scoring methods, stating that one is better than the other is nothing more than subjective opinion. I have never seen any objective data, by someone who actually took the time to figure out the averages themselves, that proved that one site is more accurate than the other. 

And that original comment I was replying too still makes no sense. 

"- the Metacritic/RT discrepancy makes sense if you know how they actually reach those scores, and personally I think Metacritic is trash."

Considering nobody knows how they reach those scores, due to having proprietary scoring methods that are kept secret, its impossible to say whether or not the discrepancy makes sense. 

#16 Lil Frier  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:18 PM

Any mention of SSD deals in the ad? Mine died the other day, and I'm not enjoying using a 5400-RPM drive to hold my OS.

#17 NeoMonk  

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:26 PM

JWRU41E.gif

#18 PapaSlaughter  

PapaSlaughter

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:06 AM

Need the infinity figures to go on sale. The new marvel figures haven't hit a sale yet.

#19 Vulsker  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:14 AM

Dang...i was hoping for a trade deal.

#20 Ferrari Racer   Banned CAGiversary!   6665 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Ferrari Racer

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:27 AM

JWRU41E.gif

this month has been pretty uneventful

#21 EldritchOnRye   Flim Flam Argle Bargle CAGiversary!   36693 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

EldritchOnRye

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:58 AM

Time for the weekly stay up until 3 AM to be disappointed then swear I won't do it again next week.

this month has been pretty uneventful

I haven't bought anything from BBY since March 20th.  Hubert be slacking.

#22 Ferrari Racer   Banned CAGiversary!   6665 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Ferrari Racer

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:59 AM

Hubert is too busy partying

XvWpBNR.jpg?1

#23 Liquid Metal   hasta la vista my ass!!!!!!! CAGiversary!   2786 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Liquid Metal

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:44 AM

Agent: I can't blame him this time and BB ceo "Worth it!!!" were great quotes.

#24 daring  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:46 AM

I haven't purchase a movie in nearly 10yrs. but i must have that ip man steelbook and the trilogy. 

the 1st ip man movie was beyond great and probably my favorite movie of all time. the cast great, great action, the pace was nearly perfect and story was well told. i highly recommend it to anyone who have yet to see it, definitely give it a chance if you want a movie with good story and action. 

#25 trunks982   Wii are the Champions! CAGiversary!   6187 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:26 AM

Ip Man Trilogy steelbook unboxing:

#26 @FIF   Salty Dog CAGiversary!   2058 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:32 AM

Life is Strange Limited and standard editions are both on sale. Limited for PS4 is $20 + tax after GCU and can be locked with Amazon for $32.50. That'll probably die quickly.

#27 eulogywerd21   Jesus wept CAGiversary!   3180 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

eulogywerd21

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:14 AM

For those of you interested in The Revenant for the digital code - the HDX copy will be on sale at VUDU this week for $9.99...

Where is this information at?

#28 Narukami   http://i.imgur.com/J8SRXIT.jpg The hype is dead. CAGiversary!   2280 Posts   Joined 4.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:21 AM

Hubert is too busy partying

XvWpBNR.jpg?1

You are my hero.

Dang...i was hoping for a trade deal.

Trade deals are dead at BBY.

#29 EldritchOnRye   Flim Flam Argle Bargle CAGiversary!   36693 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

EldritchOnRye

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:14 AM

Trade deals are dead at BBY.

I think the last thing I traded in at BBY was Rise of the Tomb Raider right after it came out.

#30 MrshllJcb   Drinkin High Life CAGiversary!   4344 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:07 PM

Never really dealt with Vudu before. But saw this post and looked through some of my physical movies and had a few codes, and randomly got an email from Wal Mart with a $10 vudu credit so I'm going to look into it. Do you know which day the sale starts? Haven't seen the Revenant and really wanted to so this seems like a good opportunity