* * * - - 5 votes

Wii U: Tokyo Mirage Sessions Fire Emblem Special Edition UP!

#31 hhhdx4   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1466 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:32 PM

Because Nintendo indeed. No one else probably wants a niche big box Wii U game at this point and BBY still has the Xenoblade X ones.

Nintendo isn't the only company that makes retailer exclusive special editions.

#32 EvilChamp   Super Nintendo CAGiversary!   2189 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

EvilChamp

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:36 PM

I will buy anything that has Fire Emblem attached to it. 

#33 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   9682 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:02 PM

I will buy anything that has Fire Emblem attached to it.

No offense but:

Spoiler

:D

#34 Cloudx9  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:05 PM

Guess I'm slow but is thus Shin Megami TenseI X Fire Emblem???

#35 EldritchOnRye   Flim Flam Argle Bargle CAGiversary!   36694 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

EldritchOnRye

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:07 PM

I know I sound foolish, but I thought this was one of those random JRPGs that come out for the vita like once a week, I didnt know this was the Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei that was announced 2 years ago. As a result, its back on my radar, thanks OP.

SMTxFE, get it right! ;)

I don't think it's foolish at all... I don't get why they would they changed the name. Both Persona and Fire Emblem have very solid followings and brand recognition. Something like Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE just sounds like a mix of random words.

Part of me is certain that some big shot at NoA hates FE and will do anything to sabotage the series potential for success.

This is an Atlus game so they most likely are making the decisions on it. SMT is not a mainstream brand in the west and Persona probably borders on it but is still niche. FE has really broken out with Awakening so they're probably trying to capitalize on that but it is still a bunch of alphabet soup for western audiences.

SMTxFE was never anything more than a place holder and the cross naming convention is not understood by western audiences at all, see this thread.

Nintendo isn't the only company that makes retailer exclusive special editions.

No but almost all their CEs for the last good while have been GS exclusive.

Guess I'm slow but is thus Shin Megami TenseI X Fire Emblem???

Yes, they announced its actual title a couple months ago.

#36 MrClark  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:10 PM

I don't think it's foolish at all... I don't get why they would they changed the name. Both Persona and Fire Emblem have very solid followings and brand recognition. Something like Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE just sounds like a mix of random words.

Part of me is certain that some big shot at NoA hates FE and will do anything to sabotage the series potential for success.

I'm pretty sure the fan base of those 2 series don't need to have the names in the title to know what it is. Those 2 franchises are probably bought 90% by fans of them and follow info about them. So a different name won't keep anyone from buying it that is a fan of the series.

Isn't like if they made a call of duty and battlefield game but called "wartime mash up", that might cause issues because they have their fans but aren't as involved in the games, they just know a call of duty is coming out and buy it. They have a different kind of devotion.

Kind of like how star wars fans are way more involved than fans of most any other movie and you can't slip anything by them.

Or maybe it's simply an odd name because it isn't persona and it isn't fire emblem so they didn't want to set expectations wrong by labeling them as such. Put fire emblem in the name and you expect hardcore strategy, put persona in it and you expect a lengthy and character deep story, and they didn't want people going in with an idea of what it should be but isn't.

I'll buy it because I like atlus, I like those franchises and because it looks like fun.

#37 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2715 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:23 PM

Because, as I mentioned earlier, it really has almost nothing to do with either franchise. There are some FE characters in it and the battle system is like SMT. That's it.

I love both SMT and FE, and I didn't know they changed the name or announced a US release date until a couple of months ago. At least it'll be a great last hurrah for the Wii U.

#38 khoido   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   195 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:32 PM

TMS is SMT backwards. When I type it out, it sounds like a dumb conspiracy thing to point out, but everyone seems convinced it was intentional.

Mind=blown :whee:

#39 SlaughterX   Teh Killer CAGiversary!   1268 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:32 PM

If I preorder then get prime at a later day will it adjust my price?

#40 STEVE05   The Darkest Timeline CAGiversary!   1574 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:46 PM

I never order on Gamestop, but want to make sure I get an order in before Amazon...is it easy to cancel on Gamestop if I need to?

#41 xtreme_Zr2   Mr. Sonny Crockett CAGiversary!   1020 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:51 PM

Didn't know of the name change either. Thanks for posting!

#42 miyamotorola   I have mild to moderate eczema CAGiversary!   3534 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

miyamotorola

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:12 AM

:x gamestop and amazon.. the 2 places where things go out of stock quick only to return in abundance..

#43 Hinoshiko   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   172 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Hinoshiko

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:16 AM

I never order on Gamestop, but want to make sure I get an order in before Amazon...is it easy to cancel on Gamestop if I need to?

With pre-orders it is. A simple click of the Cancel order button.

#44 Querjek   Thirty Seven CAGiversary!   2121 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:31 AM

With pre-orders it is. A simple click of the Cancel order button.

My orders never have cancel buttons. I always have to call.

#45 Tom Ato   Vine Ripened CAGiversary!   806 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:00 AM

There's no way to get notified by Amazon when/if this appears is there?

#46 EvilChamp   Super Nintendo CAGiversary!   2189 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

EvilChamp

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:02 AM

No offense but:

Spoiler

:D

Until I have a bad experience, that can't hold true for me. Best SRPGs on the market, Radiant Dawn being No. 1. 

#47 Haar  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:44 AM

Until I have a bad experience, that can't hold true for me. Best SRPGs on the market, Radiant Dawn being No. 1. 

You realize that this isn't an SRPG and is instead more of a typical turn-based RPG, correct? Just want to make sure you know the gameplay is not at all like Fire Emblem's.

#48 Hinoshiko   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   172 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Hinoshiko

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:13 AM

My orders never have cancel buttons. I always have to call.

Mine is showing a "Cancel Shipment" button right now, it's been there since i first pre-ordered it couple days ago. I have an account with Gamestop.com and didn't check out as a guest or anything.

I usually cancel alot of my pre-orders from Gamestop within a few days of pre-ordering them, so it's very possible that Cancel Button may disappear after a certain amount of time has passed. 

#49 cassette  

cassette

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:37 AM

If I preorder then get prime at a later day will it adjust my price?

no, price stays the same. you have to place a new order and cancel the old one.

#50 eliter1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2935 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:42 AM

Fire Emblem? Take my money, please.

#51 kickrockz713   Say it again CAGiversary!   10674 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

kickrockz713

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:33 AM

Amz needs to hurry up, I need this in my life.

#52 Masterkyo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   11333 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:52 AM

Seem like NOA print Massive LE  copies again.  GS still have it in stock.  I am not worry much about this LE if i get it i get it. If not deal with Regular copy.

#53 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14141 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:28 AM

From GS.com:

So the FE part of the game is the slaying of monsters, and the whatever other part is singing or dancing or something?

This is basically a Persona game, but instead of demons the Personas are Fire Emblem character spirits.

#54 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   3662 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:56 AM

Definitely pre-ordering this as soon as it's on Amazon. Hope I can get one in before the inevitable sell out.

#55 Dashey10  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:15 PM

Has anyone been able to put a $5 down on this at a store?

#56 amishler   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   77 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

amishler

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:23 PM

Has anyone been able to put a $5 down on this at a store?

I preordered it instore last night. I paid in full, but the employee mentioned a $25 down payment rather than the usual $5 since it's a special edition.
  • Ros likes this

#57 Ros  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:27 PM

I preordered it instore last night. I paid in full, but the employee mentioned a $25 down payment rather than the usual $5 since it's a special edition.

Same here. Was told the minimum was $25.

#58 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1869 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:04 PM

I don't understand why Nintendo never released a stand-alone FE for the Wii-U. Even just an enhanced port of the Radiant Dawn games would have been acceptable.

#59 EvilChamp   Super Nintendo CAGiversary!   2189 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

EvilChamp

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:21 PM

I don't understand why Nintendo never released a stand-alone FE for the Wii-U. Even just an enhanced port of the Radiant Dawn games would have been acceptable.

A Wii U Fire Emblem game in the spirit of PoR or RD -- heck even Fates -- would have sold so well. I don't get it either. 

#60 Cloudx9  

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:24 PM

It's because the decision makers over at Nintendo are morons, especially when it comes to the NA market.