* * * * * 3 votes

CAG Niche Backloggers Anonymous (Monster Hunter World!) [February]

Japan Niche Cag Backlog Vita Playstation Xbox Nintendo PS4 PS3

Poll: Backlog game of the month

Wait for next month

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

-

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

-

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 kickalillas2   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1666 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

kickalillas2

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:29 AM

I'm towards the end of VC. I almost forgot about all the little things that made this game great. Hopefully  Sega releases that enhanced port of 2 and 3.

#92 sirpikaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   825 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:29 AM

Dat mission 7, nearly made me hate this game quick. The difficulty could have used a bit less of a shove off a cliff and more a nudge toward a cliff. Ended with a B and losing no one though, I'm happy for now.

#93 Midori Monkey  

Midori Monkey

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:00 AM

Heh thats the mission i'm on atm.  At first I wasn't going to care about A ranks, but I have gotten all As so far... so I'm gonna shoot for the plat. But this mission is killing me.  I just can't get it done in the turns needed for an A :( i must be  missing a ruin wall or something... it just feels like there are a lot of wasted turns :(

#94 Gershomcz  

Gershomcz

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:18 PM

Funny, I'm currently on that mission too. That damn tank.

#95 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2973 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:03 PM

Got all the way to! ... Chapter 3...

Sorry, I'm trying but Overwatch has me by the ass.

I really like the game though, and the atmosphere of it has a kind of "WW2 era movie" tone to it, like Saving Private Ryan, or Stalingrad. It's a lot more deep that your standard "kids save the world" JRPG. I never played it when it first came out, but I think it looks amazing on the PS4, can't believe this was an early PS3 title, as the mechanics are so well developed and polished.

I have one question though, when you use CP to move a character, they can get shot at but time stops after you go into aim mode. Then you can take damage again afterwards. So I guess it isn't like a turn-based at that moment? What I'm trying to ask is: "Is it best to go into aim mode immediately after running and then quit back to the map after firing, or do you have time to plan your actions?

Thanks

#96 kickalillas2   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1666 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

kickalillas2

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:50 PM

Finished it the other day. I feel like I had a harder time playing it thru on the ps4 than I did on the ps3. Not sure if my gaming skillz are degrading in my old age. (I'm 29)

#97 Midori Monkey  

Midori Monkey

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:23 AM

I have one question though, when you use CP to move a character, they can get shot at but time stops after you go into aim mode. Then you can take damage again afterwards. So I guess it isn't like a turn-based at that moment? What I'm trying to ask is: "Is it best to go into aim mode immediately after running and then quit back to the map after firing, or do you have time to plan your actions?

Thanks

Yea get to where you want to be then go into aim asap.  The game pauses the enemies when you are in aim mode. Then from there turn to shoot whatever you wanted to.  I think that little bit of damage you see when you first go into aim mode alrdy happened and the animated just finishes up.  The best tip is save between turns.  I actually never realized you could do this before when I played the ps3 version... no clue how I missed that.  It helps you plan your moves, and it is nearly impossible to get an A without reloading saves.  Especially if you have no prior knowledge of where the enemies are on the map.  Or if you have to make a miracle shot with a lancer or sniper.  

#98 Gershomcz  

Gershomcz

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:29 AM

I just got to ch 12. That unexpected event in ch 11 though.

#99 Midori Monkey  

Midori Monkey

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:50 AM

Just finished up the plat in Valkyria Chronicles.  I did way better this time than I did when I played it on ps3.  I never realized how close I was to beating it back then before I lost my save.  I apparently had 2 stages left to do :(

Such an amazing game though.  I am really glad they remastered it, and added trophies.  I had a blast earning all the medals and I doubt I woulda done that in the ps3 version.

#100 Offthecrossbar   Takes One Step Forward CAGiversary!   113 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

Offthecrossbar

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:50 AM

Loved Valkyrie Chronicles. Unless it involved a tank, my strategy was always the same, charge in blindly with Rosie. Luckiest character I've ever played, she'd dodge/evade whatever it was called and land critical hits far, far more often that she should have. I'd literally send her on suicide missions just to test her inability to die... and she'd end up decimating the enemy.

/swoon

#101 sirpikaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   825 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:31 PM

Still working on this. Almost done,i hope to finish before Friday! It's really a great game, looks good, plays good.

Did the thread die? Don't die! Quick we need a new pole:

My 3 suggestions:

Ni no kuni, xenoblade chronicles x, virtues last reward.

#102 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2973 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:28 AM

Sorry, been really busy lately with summer courses, haven't updated anything yet either.

Anytime I do play games, I usually play Overwatch too, but I really do love Valkyria Chronicles, so so much. Still on Chapter 6 though. I know it would be really unfair to extend the month, but I feel like with the thread being so quiet, that maybe others have the same dilemma?

So I wanted to ask, if anyone wants to extend Valkyria into the month of July, since we are running a little late. Of course, I know many of you already beat and plat it, so if you guys don't, that's totally fine too. I'll just shorten the suggestions and voting period so we get started by next Monday.

Basically, does anyone want to stay on Valkyria chronicles for another month, or move on? (Vote by Thursday night) (I won't vote as it may seem unfair, but I wanted to see if anyone else was in the same predicament)

#103 Gershomcz  

Gershomcz

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:40 AM

Not dead just busy. I'm actually on the finale. Plan on beating this week.

As for next month. I'll go with whatever the majority vote is. I actually was going to play Steins;Gate no matter the vote anyways.

#104 Midori Monkey  

Midori Monkey

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:07 AM

I don't care if we extend, I got my plat in it at the beginning of the month, but I've been super addicted to overwatch so I'll be entertained  :-P

#105 sirpikaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   825 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:19 AM

I'm ok with extending, mainly so I don't have to rush the last three chapters. but I want some discussion, if you're not playing valkyria sell me on what you are playing lol!

Overwatch has been dominating my multi-player time as well it's just so good. I am playing on Xbox one and never have enough people that can work together so it gets tough even if I can clear the way, everyone wanders...

#106 Gershomcz  

Gershomcz

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:39 AM

Valkyria is really good. Some missions got hard real fast. Doing skirmishes helped a lot. Characters and story is great too. Other than this I play Dark Souls 3 once in a while.

#107 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   3013 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:52 PM

Yeah, its fine if we extend VC for July, then maybe we can have early voting on August's game. 

#108 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9166 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:01 AM

I think I've reached overwatch slight boredeom. Feeling a bit too samey and wow are the rewards for ranked slow.....

#109 WhirlwindMonk   CAG Ultra Noob CAGiversary!   198 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

WhirlwindMonk

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:04 PM

Another month sounds good to me, I completely forget to check this thread at the beginning of last month. Just purchased the game for $5 in the Steam sale, so I'm ready to go. I already owned it for PS3, but since I'm travelling a decent bit this month, it'll be much more convenient to have on my laptop.

#110 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2973 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:26 AM

As you've all guessed, Valkyria Chronicles is extended to July. We'll also have suggestions and voting for August come early. 

Even if you've already beaten and platinumed that game, feel free to discuss other things, like characters, gameplay, and what you look forward to in a sequel or spinoff. Be sure to monitor what you post though, and use spoiler tags if needed.

I am also getting stale of Overwatch and will probably put a lot more time into VC soon. I think its the fact that competitive mode kinda splits me into contrasting states, on one hand I want to work well with a group and win, but on the other it feels stressful and awkward when people don't seem to be playing for fun. I don't mind playing with a lower rank, it'll even help make things easier to lower the average, but I'd hate to hinder others.

Anyway, in VC, I'm really just playing for the story and to experience the game, so I haven't been reloading saves, or trying to get A ranks. In fact I've actually had a lot of people die too. Is it just me, or do the scouts seem kind of useless? Like I only have the heroine so she could give an extra turn. Rosie seems to be my go to character, and I rely on the tank a lot. 

Also, I don't know why but Oscar just loves to miss. Like the reticle is directly on the target and he just shoots with his eyes closed. 

Another thing, is there any use to spending money and EXP in the grave yard to learn skills? I almost always use everything for leveling up the squad and getting new weapons. Does leveling even increase their stats? Or does it just teach them new skills once in a while?

Thanks

#111 sirpikaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   825 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:48 PM

Scouts have saved me so often. The amount of ground they an cover in their turn helps so much. Remember you don't have to kill everybody, just take the enemy base. A well timed scout can do some of the earlier missions almost by themselves. That being said, combine them with the orders you learn from the old gentleman, you can have some powerful turns. I always get those orders from him as soon as I can!

I usually play the mission through once and if I'm not satisfied with how it goes I reload from the beginning and do it again. This helps me not stress about some of the surprises. Especially mission 7, lol.

#112 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   3013 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:35 AM

I'm gonna try and play some VC this weekend, but Tokyo Mirage Sessions has its hooks in me deep.

Personally, I never used any of the orders from the graveyard gentleman, but I used the hell out of scouts.

I purchased VC2 a few weeks ago when it was on sale on the PSN, but I haven't had a chance to even download it yet.

I'm not too thrilled about what I've seen of the new VC game so far, since it looks like its less turn-based and more action. I like strategy and having time to think about my moves.

#113 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2973 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:58 PM

I finally beat Chapter 7! Took me like 3 hours, it doesn't help that the enemy uses every single one of their turns and it takes like 20 minutes for them to finish. Would be nice to have a fast forward button. Anyway, ended up with a B rank. I really lamed them out at the end, just had all my lancers in the last base and just kept shooting the tank once it was vulnerable.

A little tip that might be spoilerish.

Spoiler

Also, I think whenever we have a PS4 game, we can use the Japanese Niche Games Community on there to post screen shots and the like, ditto for a Steam group if there is one. I rather bring more traffic into that community than make a brand new one for this thread. If you aren't familiar with it, info is on the first page of the Jpn niche thread on CAG deals section.

Anyway, chapter 7 was tedious, but I think beating it motivated me to tackle the game even more.

#114 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2973 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:04 AM

Alright, finally Chapter 10, a bit of a tear-jerker. I'm beginning to appreciate the combat a bit more, but those linear missions where you use like one or two characters get a bit annoying.

Also, does anyone switch characters for their squad? I've mostly been sticking with my original picks. I picked them due to their abilities, but I don't want to go and compare them all over again.

#115 Gershomcz  

Gershomcz

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:21 AM

I have to finish this game too. I left it off on the final chapter as soon as the month was extended.

I never switch neither. I just liked my original choices and stuck with them. Although I'm going to do another playthrough and play with all different members.

#116 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   3013 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:05 PM

Unfortunately, my disc drive has died on my PS3, so I never could get to play Valkyria Chronicles. Maybe next month will be something I can participate more in.

Just about a week and-a-half left in July, so I think we should start the nominations for next month's game. My three nominations include:

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC/SC

Akiba's Trip

Tales of Hearts R

#117 BlackRockWaifu   Advocate for the Black Friday Champion Fredyyy CAGiversary!   2973 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

BlackRockWaifu

Posted 23 July 2016 - 03:11 AM

This game is awesome with remote play, gonna try to finish it this week.

Does anyone switch weapons much? I noticed that some missions give you weapons as a prize, but they seem much weaker than what I originally have.

Gonna start streaming this game, not to advertise as I don't really stream at all, but it'll give me a little motivation to put more time into it.

Also, thank you Krymner for the reminder, I figure we get the suggestions now, and I'll run the poll mid-week. We can get started by the end of the week, and have a weekend where we can finish up Valkryia Chronicles and begin the next game. Should be fun and bring more activity in.

#118 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40067 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 03:16 AM

Alright, finally Chapter 10, a bit of a tear-jerker. I'm beginning to appreciate the combat a bit more, but those linear missions where you use like one or two characters get a bit annoying.

Also, does anyone switch characters for their squad? I've mostly been sticking with my original picks. I picked them due to their abilities, but I don't want to go and compare them all over again.

Chapter 10 is where I stopped. Right before the thing happens.

I just wasn't in the mood to have feelings that day :-P

#119 Gershomcz  

Gershomcz

Posted 23 July 2016 - 03:59 AM

This game is awesome with remote play, gonna try to finish it this week.

Does anyone switch weapons much? I noticed that some missions give you weapons as a prize, but they seem much weaker than what I originally have.

If you're talking about the aces weapons then yeah those suck. However I found the weapons that Cordelia gives you better than the fully upgraded ones.

#120 sirpikaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   825 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:43 PM

Hmm suggestions.

Xenoblade chronicles x
Virtues last reward
Ni no kuni

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Japan, Niche, Cag, Backlog, Vita, Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo, PS4, PS3