PAX West 2016 Thread: Less Prime, More CAG

blueshinra

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Hi everyone!
Okay, time to update this thread for realz. This will be my seventh PAX, my sixth Prime/West, and my sixth time hosting the unofficial CAG Meetup. Welcome to the 2016 thread! :grouphug:

Important Notices and Updates:
- Passes have been shipped. If you haven't gotten them yet, watch your mailboxes! Also note that the letter inside contains various updates as to where some stuff'll be this year.
- As usual, see the post below for all basic PAX and Seattle info.
- If you're currently trying to get passes, through eBay, Craigslist, Reddit, or whereever, be mindful of bootlegs. Also, according to some posters on NeoGAF (here, here, and here), there's a good chance that the longer you wait, the cheaper your options will get. In general: common sense.
- If you have extra passes and want to offer them to your fellow CAGs, please follow CAG rules and proper decorum for sales/trades. Keep in mind that this is not a trading thread. You are free to post that you have and/or are looking for passes, but please do not spam this thread with such notices; conduct as much of your business as possible via trade lists and/or PMs. If this thread gets too large/busy with requests/offers, I will list them here for convenience's sake.
- Another place to buy/sell passes: DemonsMaster recommends this Reddit community.

Post-PAX CAG Meetup
Rock Bottom Brewery has worked out for us for most of the previous meetups, so let's do it again, okay? :)

As usual, post in this thread to RSVP. The deadline to RSVP is Sunday, September 4 at 10PM!

Oh, and if you're new to this, note that this is an unofficial meetup that is neither sponsored nor endorsed by Cheap Ass Gamer (though staff members are of course welcome)! Everyone is expected to cover their own food, drinks, and tips.

If you have any questions, please post them here or shoot me a PM.

- DATE/TIME: Monday, September 5th; arrive by 7PM
- RSVP: R. Kasahara, bitprophet, metaly, zenprime, creid, ThreeRandomWords, DemonsMaster

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Previous Years' PAX Prime/West Threads: 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015

Old updates:
East is over, so you know what that means...

Checked last year's thread, and it seems Prime passes went on sale on May 7th, so the wait shouldn't be long!

The usual info, including the Unofficial CAG Meetup, will go up soonish. Anyway, let's get this thread started! Who's planning on going this year? How fast do you think passes will sell out? :cold:

Last edited by a moderator:
PAX Prime West 2016
Friday, Sept. 2nd - Monday, Sept. 5th :whee: Washington State Convention Center; Seattle, WA

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Useful Links

:hot: General PAX Information :hot:
- PAX West (formerly PAX Prime) Official Site
- Twitter: Offical_PAX - Updates on nearly everything PAX-related (West, East, Dev, Aus, and South). Usually replies promptly to questions.
- Twitter: PAX_lines - Up-to-the-minute info about lines for panels, concerts, etc. The most useful PAX-related Twitter after the official account.
- Facebook: PAX Prime - Seattle

:mrgreen: Other PAX-Related :mrgreen:
- Penny Arcade forums: PAX West - the best PAX West knowledge-base out there.
- Twitter: PAXParties and Facebook: PAX Parties - Party and meetup information.
- Twitter: PAX_Tourney - Tournament information.
- PAX Pokemon League - In case you want to be the very best, like no one ever was.
- Twitter: PAX Game Show Night - Info and such about one of PAX's best annual panels.
- Twitter: League of Heels - For all of your PAX Wrestling needs.

Schedule and Events

There will be a Cheap Ass Gamer panel this year! It will take place in the Wyvern theater on Friday, Sept. 2 at 9PM. thorbahn3 has posted more info about this panel here.

Official Schedule:
Web link: here!
iOS/Android/Windows Phone 7/Blackberry: Download the Guidebook app via the right sidebar at the official site.
Other formats: printer-friendly version

CAG's Favorite Panels: Game Show Night, Retrogame Roadshow, Awesome Video Game Data, PAX Rumble, Omegathon Final Round

For up-to-date party information, please see the PAX Parties Twitter and Facebook links above.

Hotels

- Hotel registration. Note that all of the best/closest rooms at convention rates are already booked. You can still book many (if not all) of these hotels at Orbitz, Travelocity, etc., but the rates will be higher.

General Info for PAX West Newbies

Under the spoiler are tips for enjoying PAX and all the info about food, transportation, and miscellaneous info (like Seattle sightseeing) from last year's thread. All this stuff is old hat for most of the people who follow this thread, but for those who are new to PAX West, hope this is useful :)

Helpful Tips

- Wear comfy shoes! Comfy clothing, too, but comfy shoes are more important.
- Bring the following stuff with you every day: PAX badge, schedule book/Guidebook app and lanyard (available at the show), bottled water, cash, hand sanitizer, camera of some kind, poster tube, handheld gaming device(s) of your choice.
- Be especially courteous to the Enforcers! They are volunteers who are there to help you, and they are awesome.
- Take showers (and practice proper hygiene in general) every day! A shower only takes 10 minutes each day and guarantees you won't be "that guy/gal with the confunk".
- If you're cosplaying, use common sense! Here's PAX's policy on prop weapons.

General Seattle Information

- Washington State Convention Center official website
- Yelp listings/reviews for Downtown Seattle businesses

Food

Eating Out
- Downtown Seattle restaurant map (from 2013, so somewhat outdated):
VEunhhU.jpg
- Google doc with restaurant info via the Penny Arcade forums (from 2014; not sure how up-to-date it is).
- The Juicy Cafe - one of the most popular eating spots in the Convention Center itself; healthy, inexpensive, and tasty food. Vegan-friendly and runs extended hours during PAX.
- Specialty's Bakery and Cafe - a good breakfast spot; breakfast sandwiches, pastries, coffee, etc.
- MOD Pizza - awesome pizza; decent selections of toppings and beverages. Another inexpensive and popular option.
- Gordon Biersch and Rock Bottom Brewery - Brew pubs that have been homes to previous CAG meetups.

Groceries
- Kress IGA Supermarket - a little on the upscale side, but good in general.
- Target

Transportation

Within Seattle
- King County Metro Transit
- If you're driving into downtown, the Convention Center itself offers good parking.

For Out-of-Towners
- Planes: Hipmunk is a handy tool for airplane ticket price comparisons. I couldn't find any convention-specific rates for flights this year.
- Trains: Amtrak; can't find any info on this year's PAX Train yet.
- Car Rental: Note that if you're coming in from out of town by plane or train, you should not need a rental car. Downtown Seattle is very walkable, especially if you're in a hotel close to the convention center.
- Light rail public transit is available to downtown Seattle from the airport (SeaTac/Airport station) and Amtrak (Int'l District/Chinatown station).

Miscellaneous

Sightseeing
If you're visiting from out of town and have time to kill before or after PAX, why not check out Seattle?

Seattle Center:
There's a lot of stuff to see and do at Seattle Center, including the Space Needle. A quick and popular way to get there is the Monorail. Combo tickets are available for the museums and other attractions there if you plan on seeing more than one thing and want to save a little cash.
- Pacific Science Center: current exhibits and IMAX theater schedule. There's also LaserDome, for Laser Floyd, etc.
- Chihuly Garden and Glass - on the smaller side for a museum, but worth visiting at least once if you're into art.
- The EMP Museum - formerly known as the Experience Music Project and Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame, or EMP|SFM. Features pop music and sci-fi/fantasy exhibits.

Cheapass sightseeing:
- Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park and Olympic Sculpture Park are two free museum-style attractions I've enjoyed on past trips.
- Int'l District/Chinatown makes for good window shopping, thanks in part to the Kinokuniya Bookstore and Pink Gorilla.
- Pike Place Market and Pioneer Square are neat places to walk around.
- For even more suggestions: Free Things to Do in Seattle.

Shipping
- In case you need to ship anything home, there is a FedEx inside of the convention center. They also sell poster tubes (you're definitely going to need one of those).
- There are also USPS and UPS branches downtown, but they aren't as convenient to get to.

Special thanks to zenprime, creid, kube00, metaly, JEKKI, and anyone else I may have forgotten who has contributed info to this and/or previous PAX Prime/West threads.

If you have anything else useful to add, let me know!

So, how about that pass sale going live yesterday? :whee: Everyone get theirs?

As in last year's thread, if you have any extras available, you can post about it here once but please do not spam such notices. Restrict as much of this sort of business as possible to PMs and/or actual trading threads.

The usual OP updates and such are coming soon.

(Sigh) I won't be coming this year. Partially because of how quickly the passes sold out. But mainly because of my own personal circumstances. These excursions are costly for me, my brothers wouldn't be able to come with, and the timing just isn't right this year. I'll be looking to return for 2017. In the meantime I would love to hear everyone's accounts of the get-togethers, and first-hand experiences from the Indie booths.

I got all 4 days on tuesday! No extras though :( Im for sure coming to the meet up this year after last year I was wayyyy too exhausted from pax dev/omegathon :(

CAG panel this year! :whee:

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/751630638529273857
Also, sorry I haven't updated the thread yet; will do that soon, really :razz:

Got our passes today, so I finally decided to update the first two posts :whee: Note that the second post has been rearranged somewhat, and also includes a few new and updated links.

#PAXiscoming

Really wish I could go this year...but family obligations are important. I'll lurk in this thread. Eat some MOD Pizza for me and have a beer or two at Yard House or the Tap House 

Btw you should add www.reddit.com/r/paxpassexchange to the OP! It's worked out for me very well in the past if I've needed to sell an extra badge. You aren't allowed to sell it for more than $10 over face, and as long as you have an enforcer verify the badge is legit before you purchase you should be good to go! It's a great resource.

Btw you should add www.reddit.com/r/paxpassexchange to the OP! It's worked out for me very well in the past if I've needed to sell an extra badge. You aren't allowed to sell it for more than $10 over face, and as long as you have an enforcer verify the badge is legit before you purchase you should be good to go! It's a great resource.
I should sell mine there

Added it (and your RSVP); thanks!

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/763881519547092993

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/763882756812247041

If anyone of you come across a extra tshirt sized large Id love to have it. Or anything Resident Evil...

Have fun you guys! Can't wait till next year

My schedule so far:

Fri

10:30 - Storytime with Amy Hennig

11:30 - FFXII Zodiac Age

5:00 - Kusoge! Japan's Awesome Awful Crap Videogames

9:00 - CAG panel

(probably skipping Saturday?)

Sun

10 - PAX RUMBLE

1:30pm - Dragon Quest VII developer panel (not on the schedule for some reason, but Nintendo tweeted about it?)

Mon

5:30 - Omegathon final

If anyone is interested I have an extra 4 day set that I'm trying to get rid of since my friend can't make it.  Willing to sell at base price to fellow Cag'er

I'll be arriving Thursday and staying at one of the hotels near the convention center if you want to meet up later that day.

If you're interested shoot me pm.  

Added a couple of Twitter accounts to the second post:

- PAX Game Show Night - info and stuff about this annual panel
- League of Heels - PAX Rumble (and PAX Wrestling in general) news and info

Meanwhile, I'm in my usual pre-PAX state of running around getting stuff done before I have to leave for Seattle. Can't wait to see everyone!

Awesome glad the community on this site is still as awesome as it was so many years ago! Now we get a Pax Prime panel, sweet, hope to meet some of you in line!

If anyone is going to the "You Paid Too Much" CAG Panel and gets a Marvel Heroes Key that doesn't want it, I'd gladly take it off your hands!

Hey guys - I haven't made it to PAX in a few years.  Hope everyone is having fun.  I want one thing and one thing only from PAX.  Apparently there is a Destiny emblem code available.  I'm a huge Destiny player and kind of obsessed with the game (and have played it for way too many hours).  I'm not above begging someone from CAG who is there for a code.  ;)  If anyone gets an extra please consider me!  Thanks!

And there's finally a CAG panel!  I was there when Cheapy and Shipwreck did a CAGcast from the floor at PAX, but a real panel is a much bigger deal!

Also, Jared, how the hell did I miss that $0.01 Skylanders sale/glitch!?  I mean, I never even heard it happened till I watched the panel.  I need to turn in my CAG card...

Hey guys - I haven't made it to PAX in a few years. Hope everyone is having fun. I want one thing and one thing only from PAX. Apparently there is a Destiny emblem code available. I'm a huge Destiny player and kind of obsessed with the game (and have played it for way too many hours). I'm not above begging someone from CAG who is there for a code. ;) If anyone gets an extra please consider me! Thanks!

And there's finally a CAG panel! I was there when Cheapy and Shipwreck did a CAGcast from the floor at PAX, but a real panel is a much bigger deal!

Also, Jared, how the hell did I miss that $0.01 Skylanders sale/glitch!? I mean, I never even heard it happened till I watched the panel. I need to turn in my CAG card...
It showed up on the CAG price tracker and I bought every single one. I never posted that deal. Those Skylanders were mine.

bread's done
Back