CAGcast #452: All of It

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks Xbox One console revision rumors, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Overwatch (briefly), Mighty No. 9 trailer, Nintendo rumors, E3, and so much more!

Download (1 hours 28 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS
https://audioboom.com/boos/4618942-cagcast-452-all-of-it/

Get $5 off your order (with free shipping) at http://www.harrys.com with coupon code CAGCAST

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro -   Track 07 -Dropk

Outro - Shirt Tales

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nintendo said the Nintendo DS wasn't the successor to the Game Boy Advance when they first showed it. They said it was a 3rd product in their line of systems.

wombat spoiling that uncharted 4 moment is so unprofessional-   I mean he literally gives one second of notice before revealing it.  Cheapy you should edit that out  The silence from Cheapy and  Shipwreck is like they are saying: Did he really just reveal that?   This is not a being to sensitive to spoilers moment.  The game is three weeks old and you spoil a moment that was pretty amazing-- Maybe you should let Cheapy and Shipwreck handle the new game analysis

wombat spoiling that uncharted 4 moment is so unprofessional- I mean he literally gives one second of notice before revealing it. Cheapy you should edit that out The silence from Cheapy and Shipwreck is like they are saying: Did he really just reveal that? This is not a being to sensitive to spoilers moment. The game is three weeks old and you spoil a moment that was pretty amazing-- Maybe you should let Cheapy and Shipwreck handle the new game analysis
It isn't a spoiler

It isn't a spoiler
I completely disagree- I respect your opinion. I also feel you are in a minority in having that opinion. Your opinion should not excuse you from ignoring people who think it is a spoiler. One thing for certain it is unprofessional. It also is ironic you read feedback on this episode that you are on top of your game, then proceed to finish this episode at the bottom of your game.

I just think these new consoles are just a load of hooey. Six teraflops or 1, it just sounds like an excuse for software developers to try and hide the failings of their offerings. We've reached a point where graphics can definitely match gameplay, but to have to make the consumer upgrade again after plinking down over 500 dollars because the game can only be smoother or prettier, despite the fact these consoles can do so much? Eh. Just cut the fat already Sony and Microsoft.

DID YOU GUYS HEAR ABOUT THE NINTENDO MEH? IT'S NINTENDO MH, YEAH MEH. GET IT GUYS? IT'S MH IT'S LIKE MEH. GET IT GUYS.

Hopefully the next systems will be launched with removable parts, so future updates won't cost you hundreds of dollars. I assume average gamers dont want to drop that kind of money every few years. This community is a prime example of that, a bunch of gamers trying to get a deal on gaming hardware and software. If companies begin to launch cheaper software maybe consumers would be more open to this update on a consoles life cycle.

Regarding your comments about consumer confusion. . .

Go onto your local town message board and ask a simple question such as "Should I get an Xbox 360 or an Xbox One?"

You will be amazed by the shear amount of misinformation you will read (Most of this "information" comes from parents' children who are usually clueless).

Now imagine the responses you would get if you asked "Should I get an Xbox One,  an Xbox One Elite or an Xbox One Slim?" I do not envy Gamestop employees when all of this shit will come out.   Hopefully they'll make the Elite red so they can refer to that one as the "Red one."

Claiming you need to get to the Jeep to start Uncharted 4 is bizarre, even by Shipwreck's standards. The Scotland levels that come before it are already full on Uncharted.

I killed over 500 people in my first playthru on Moderate so that's less than the first three games, but still involved plenty of stealth, melee and shooting. The combat is just as good as the combat in the new Tomb Raider games but the story and characters are much better, which is why the Uncharted games review better.

Claiming you need to get to the Jeep to start Uncharted 4 is bizarre, even by Shipwreck's standards. The Scotland levels that come before it are already full on Uncharted.
I killed over 500 people in my first playthru on Moderate so that's less than the first three games, but still involved plenty of stealth, melee and shooting. The combat is just as good as the combat in the new Tomb Raider games but the story and characters are much better, which is why the Uncharted games review better.
I think the combat in Tomb Raider is far superior to what is in Uncharted. The bow alone is far more satisfying than any weapon Uncharted offers. I don't like comparing these games though as they aren't that similar outside of basic concepts. Tomb Raider is an open world game with RPG elements that encourage exploration. Uncharted is a linear thrill-ride with excellent story, characters, and production.

Well Blizzard does have their own yearly convention. BlizzCon has 25k+ attendees every year so it would make sense that they'd be more focused on BlizzCon as opposed to E3.

What really ticks me off about these new ".5" consoles is that I feel this generation has been extremely lackluster so far. There haven't really been many games that have truly felt like a leap forward. Almost everything I have played feels like it could have been handled on a PS3 or 360 without too much degradation. Maybe Forza Horizon 2 is the big exception, as it allowed free roam off road, which was a huge change over FH1.

So now comes a new generation before anyone has really taken advantage of the current generation. That feels pretty shitty.

I have major doubts about the viability of VR in the home, but support for that would at least feel like something new. But what are the chances that anything will truly take advantage of that either?

I completely disagree- I respect your opinion. I also feel you are in a minority in having that opinion.
Well, I agree with wombat. It's not a spoiler. It doesn't even make sense unless you've played through the relevant part in U4.

The investor report about Nintendo was just pure speculation from the analyst.  But it's always been likely a new handheld will come out as well as a console.  Iwata himself said that Nintendo is going to mimic iOS (have 1 software platform across all their devices)  and that this could mean even more form factors and not fewer.  His comments didn't preclude 1 form factor.  But just reinforced there's even more of a chance that it could mean the opposite. 

And so the 1 platform from Nintendo is likely to only be a virtual platform.  Nintendo's equivalent of iOS.   And either we will see more games shared across form factors where possible whether that means buy once and play anywhere  or  it means something more along the lines of Smash Bros ,which had both a 3ds version and a Wii U version, but the games were fairly similar roughly speaking.  (Nintendo doesn't like to give away stuff for free so I would guess they would want to charge extra $$$ for the work it takes to take a console game and make a handheld version of it or vice versa.)

But what we won't see, going forward,  is  a Mario Kart 7 only for 3ds and a Mario Kart 8 only for the Wii U situation where each Mario Kart was a completely separate game.  We will see 1 Mario Kart or should they make more than 1, each would work on either platform.

The simplest way to describe DC Universe: Rebirth is that it revealed someone interfered with the universe reforming after the events of Flashpoint. It messed things up and that's how we got the New 52.
So it's not a hard reboot but a lot of the bad stuff is going to rolled back.

Trivia. Anything will be better than Zack Snyder but Geoff Johns had a big part in the creation of the Green Lantern movie.

I'd guess the new consoles won't be sold for a loss like  past consoles.    I wouldn't be surprised if the price is $500.  Sony/MS already have a cheaper version on shelves so they don't have to worry about being priced low.  Plus Sony/MS would have less time to make money on the back end because of the shorter cycle.  And many of the customers buying the new models will already  have purchased alot of PS4/X1 games.  

I think the quick console cycle is due to the standard x86 architecture and more standard gpu solutions.  

I think customers are used to consumer electronics/appliances/cars etc always having a new model every year so I don't think having a new console every few years is any big deal.

And a faster console cycle will probably follow Nvidia's/AMD's gpu cycle.  Those guys come out with new gpu architectures every 2-3 years.  

Playing a game on a PS4 vs PS4.5 would be no different concept than playing the same game on a high-end pc vs a middle of the road pc.    You'll get more graphical bells/whistles and/or higher resolution on the more powerful model.

I think the combat in Tomb Raider is far superior to what is in Uncharted. The bow alone is far more satisfying than any weapon Uncharted offers. I don't like comparing these games though as they aren't that similar outside of basic concepts. Tomb Raider is an open world game with RPG elements that encourage exploration. Uncharted is a linear thrill-ride with excellent story, characters, and production.
At heart they're both third person shooters and the critics have always preferred Uncharted, even Uncharted 3 which was the weakest in the series IMO due to an overload of annoying enemies. Fixing that issue and incorporating some of the mechanics from TLOU (another TPS that's better than Tomb Raider) is what made Uncharted 4 such a fun game to play.

At heart they're both third person shooters and the critics have always preferred Uncharted, even Uncharted 3 which was the weakest in the series IMO due to an overload of annoying enemies. Fixing that issue and incorporating some of the mechanics from TLOU (another TPS that's better than Tomb Raider) is what made Uncharted 4 such a fun game to play.
Might as well throw Zelda into the comparison then because Tomb Raider shares as many game structure mechanics with Zelda as it does with Uncharted.

The combat is the least interesting part of the Uncharted games. Would anybody argue against that?

The Last of Us and Uncharted are two franchises that are more experiences than anything else. I really don't think either are anything memorable based strictly on their gameplay. If you took the story out they'd be pretty mediocre games. The gameplay in Tomb Raider is a lot stronger, including the combat.

Cheapy you missed a prime opportunity with the opening music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QEsjd1WZuY

To Wombat's question, how are all the companies able to release significant updates in a short period? It's probably mostly for the same reasons the consoles are "disappointingly slow". That is, the entire industry has a crisis in chip technology. The half-step technology between the 28nm process and the 16nm process never really worked out. That's why you see NVidia able to make such a large leap in one generation and it's why the consoles are going to leap ahead so soon.

There were no GPUs made on the 22nm process and AMD never made any CPUs/APUs on it either. Only Intel made CPUs on it and the consoles don't use Intel.

The original consoles had to be scaled back due to process problems so now catching up looks like leaping ahead.

Also, I wouldn't worry about market confusion. These will be pro consoles and priced as such. The slims will be the mainline consoles. These will be like an "Elite controller", there for those who play a lot of games and want to spend more on their hobby to make the experience a bit better.

Of course it will get weird at some point in the future when they make a slim (and cheap model) of the pro versions. Then will there be a new pro above those? It's new territory I guess we'll find out when we get there.

Why would Shipwreck want BOTH the Xbox One Slim and the Super Xbox One?  If one has the max teraflops available (ie. 6 or so) wouldn't you just want that one instead of the "medium" version???

I think this super console will be priced out of the market though I'm predicting $500

Thanks to Wombat for being the only member of the CAGCast that still lives by the CheapAssGamer mantra and doesn't jump at the chance to drop another pile of money on MS and Sony for the .5 consoles at launch.

Oh, and I'm sure Sony/MS appreciate Shipwreck quickly volunteering "$600 - I'll buy that!" but I can say he doesn't speak for many of us CAG's.

Ladies and gentlemen, let's place our bets for new console pricing. I'll go $700 for the Xbox 1.5 or PS4.5 pricing. My thought is that the VR pricing will be less than the console pricing. Moreover, the early adopters will subsidize the price drop that will probably happen summer 2017 (just in time for E3 2017).

One caveat, if all release dates hold steady (PS4.5 this fall, Xbox 1.5 this spring), my bet is that which ever console comes later will be less than the predecessor. Therfore $Xbox 1.5 < $PS4.5 (assuming that Microsoft learns from their higher price tag at launch). 

Might as well throw Zelda into the comparison then because Tomb Raider shares as many game structure mechanics with Zelda as it does with Uncharted.
Do you kill 500+ people primarily by shooting from a third person perspective in any Zelda game?

http://www.gamesradar.com/rise-tomb-raider-biggest-problem-may-never-be-fixed/

My Lara Croft killed about 657 people in a span of 30 hours, which works out to a brisk 22 kills per hour. As far as murder mileage goes, it’s … is “impressive” the right word? I don’t know, but it’s hard to reconcile with Rise of the Tomb Raider’s suggestion that Lara is a human being herself, never mind someone who also exudes shades of regret and fragility.
That's more people than my Nathan Drake killed in my 18 hour playthru of Uncharted 4.

The combat is the least interesting part of the Uncharted games. Would anybody argue against that?
Yes, lots of people prefer the shooting to the traversal because there's much more skill involved. I've seen a lot of complaints from people who preferred the more shooting-heavy pacing of Uncharted 2 to U4. Also, the multiplayer has been very popular for almost seven years now and that's because of the shooting.

In the 250 or so episodes of CAGCast to which I have listened, the ratio of inane or forced Wombat jokes to organic, timely and chortle-worthy laughers is probably somewhere around 99-1.  This week we had one of the latter.  

- "I believe EA Sports has it in the game" was downright clever and quick.  

Good job Wombat!  Looking forward to the next one some time around CAGCast #517.

Cheapy's dyslexic joke where he uttered "hmm" soon after Ship introed the Nintendo MH went over everyone's head.

I don't understand how some still think Wombat's jokes go over Cheapy's and Ship's heads. Did they not hear the TMNT Van Gogh / Beethoven joke?! So tasteless for Wombat to bring that up when the Turtles themselves don't have visible, external ears. Wow...

All in good fun though. I loved the 'bad' joke, Cheapy's reaction to it, and Wombat's reaction to Cheapy.

I  also think these new consoles are going to really dent any VR impact. People are always going to jump on a newer, better version of something they already enjoy and use compared to a totally new product. Especially a product where alot of people are split between being on-board and not interested, plus the whole "you have to try it" doesn't help average consumers. 

Question: If VR didn't exist at all, do you think Sony and Microsoft would be gearing up for a ".5" new console right now?  People are fooling themselves if they expect 4K gaming will be standard with these new systems. I can see 1080 60FPS but thats it. It seems like this extra power in the new systems is just for VR sake.

Also, Cheapy are you watching Silicon Valley? I think you'd enjoy it if you aren't.

Thanks.

The original Ghostbusters... isn't all that hot.

It's not really a comedy, is it? I mean... I considered it a comedy until I watched it recently. Not that it's unfunny, there just wasn't a lot of humor emphasis, though the jokes that were there were pretty good, except for that weird ghost sexytime moment.

And Stay Puft, the iconic monster, is in it for less than 3 minutes. They just kinda one-and-done him, despite him being world famous now.

It's totally cool to love Ghostbusters -- it is a staple franchise of American pop culture -- but that kinda makes me think what people really like are its franchise/overall IP more than the actual movie. Maybe people are really only in love with the peripheral stuff about it. I'm not sure if they'd love the movie itself if they sat down and watched it. As a Star Wars fan, I feel the same way about Star Wars Episode IV (and the traumatic special fx in the theatrical cut I recently watched).

So I do empathize with the user who was a little confused why people are in flames over the new movie when the first one was kind of just a 7/10. But I like some movies that are below 20% on RT, like the glory that is 1992's Encino Man, so we all have our preferences.

I also didn't hate Crystal Skull. Ban me here and now and I'd understand.

Wombat makes great jokes. His humor is so underrated. His transformers joke and his EA joke. So good.
His duck duck truck joke this episode was genius and didn't get the reception it deserved.

He usually makes knowingly bad jokes just to piss on Cheapy and Shipwreck though

The original Ghostbusters... isn't all that hot.

It's not really a comedy, is it? I mean... I considered it a comedy until I watched it recently. Not that it's unfunny, there just wasn't a lot of humor emphasis, though the jokes that were there were pretty good, except for that weird ghost sexytime moment.

And Stay Puft, the iconic monster, is in it for less than 3 minutes. They just kinda one-and-done him, despite him being world famous now.

It's totally cool to love Ghostbusters -- it is a staple franchise of American pop culture -- but that kinda makes me think what people really like are its franchise/overall IP more than the actual movie. Maybe people are really only in love with the peripheral stuff about it. I'm not sure if they'd love the movie itself if they sat down and watched it. As a Star Wars fan, I feel the same way about Star Wars Episode IV (and the traumatic special fx in the theatrical cut I recently watched).

So I do empathize with the user who was a little confused why people are in flames over the new movie when the first one was kind of just a 7/10. But I like some movies that are below 20% on RT, like the glory that is 1992's Encino Man, so we all have our preferences.

I also didn't hate Crystal Skull. Ban me here and now and I'd understand.
You obviously aren't old enough to appreciate the original but hey, at least you have Power Rangers.

bread's done
Back