Changes to Best Buy GCU

cplater

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I just got the following email from Best Buy:

Dear Gamers Club Unlocked Member,

Thank you for being a valued Gamers Club Unlocked member. We would like to inform you that the terms and conditions for the Gamers Club Unlocked program have changed.

Changes to the Gamers Club Unlocked program take effect immediately.

The new terms and conditions can be found here.

To learn more about Gamers Club and Gamers Club Unlocked click here.

Sincerely,

The My Best Buy Gamers Club Team
I'm not sure what has changed, as the link just shows the updated policy.

Just got this email too. All I care about is that we still get 20% off new games (which is still listed).

Last edited by a moderator:
  • To receive benefits, you will need to make sure that your My Best Buy account is added to the transaction before it is completed.

I think they bolded the changes.  The biggest thing is you have to make sure it is added and discount applied to the sale, cannot be done afterwards.  I guess you could return it if it was unopened then re-purchase, but it seems to mainly say they will not refund the discount anymore.  So double check the price before you pay!

Also, it clarifies that just buying a membership card online does not count as being "enrolled".  You have to go to the store and enroll with the gift card you bought.

awesome-deal.png

Is it possible that GCU no longer applies to preorders? 

20% discount off new physical video game software (excludes pre-owned video game software and digital gaming). Limit 3 copies of each title per platform per year per member. Valid on in-stock items only. No rainchecks. No dealers. For complete details of this benefit, see My Best Buy Gamers Club and Gamers Club Unlocked FAQs.

They've been updating their system on the backend - I'm sure some of you have noticed your rewards haven't updated for a while. I assume this notice is just a legal requirement they have to send out anytime something changes that is consumer facing. Doesn't seem like any perks are different. 

Is it possible that GCU no longer applies to preorders?

20% discount off new physical video game software (excludes pre-owned video game software and digital gaming). Limit 3 copies of each title per platform per year per member. Valid on in-stock items only. No rainchecks. No dealers. For complete details of this benefit, see My Best Buy Gamers Club and Gamers Club Unlocked FAQs.
No way Jose. Still getting preorder discount plus Amazon prime offering 20% on preorders means they would never concede

I think the paid membership remains largely unchanged. Comparing this page to a version archived 2 months ago - it looks like they gimped bonuses from the free gamer's club membership (which I honestly didn't know existed)

the old page listed 2x points for purchases and trade-ins for the free membership:

http://web.archive.org/web/20160301061204/http://www.bestbuy.com/site/my-best-buy/gamers-club/pcmcat338600050004.c?id=pcmcat338600050004

The new version limits those bonuses to paid members only:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/my-best-buy/gamers-club/pcmcat338600050004.c?id=pcmcat338600050004

I think the paid membership remains largely unchanged. Comparing this page to a version archived 2 months ago - it looks like they gimped bonuses from the free gamer's club membership (which I honestly didn't know existed)

the old page listed 2x points for purchases and trade-ins for the free membership:

http://web.archive.org/web/20160301061204/http://www.bestbuy.com/site/my-best-buy/gamers-club/pcmcat338600050004.c?id=pcmcat338600050004

The new version limits those bonuses to paid members only:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/my-best-buy/gamers-club/pcmcat338600050004.c?id=pcmcat338600050004
The terms page from the email still says free GC members get 2x points.

It's funny that after I saw this email my first thought was to check CAG for an explanation on the changes.  Guess nothing to see.

• To receive benefits, you will need to make sure that your My Best Buy account is added to the transaction before it is completed.

I think they bolded the changes. The biggest thing is you have to make sure it is added and discount applied to the sale, cannot be done afterwards. I guess you could return it if it was unopened then re-purchase, but it seems to mainly say they will not refund the discount anymore. So double check the price before you pay!

Also, it clarifies that just buying a membership card online does not count as being "enrolled". You have to go to the store and enroll with the gift card you bought.
I just added a game just to check it out and the savings came off automatically just as it always did. I didnt need to add anything else

Like everyone else I came here to find out what changed. Unlike everyone else, I actually read the terms entirely, then came here to see wtf I missed 'cuz it seems exactly the same lol.

By the way, for those of your checking to see if your GCU still applies the same way it always did: if there is a change, the email clearly states the changes won't take effect until July 31st. So checking now, will not prove anything.

Like everyone else I came here to find out what changed. Unlike everyone else, I actually read the terms entirely, then came here to see wtf I missed 'cuz it seems exactly the same lol.

By the way, for those of your checking to see if your GCU still applies the same way it always did: if there is a change, the email clearly states the changes won't take effect until July 31st. So checking now, will not prove anything.
Huh? The email explicitly states "Changes to the Gamer Club unlocked take effect immediately".

But I don't see any noticeable differences.

Just curious, but the $10 for pre-order is still there right?  If not that's a huge change, but that is the regular "Free" Gamers Club if i remember right...

***  UPDATE ***

Yes, the $10 certificate is independent of the GCU and Regular GC.  It is for "select" pre-orders that seem to be the popular ones...  i'm surprised to see No Mans Sky not listed currently, and i didn't check when i pre-ordered because i thought it was part of GCU.  May be that it won't show up as such until they have a new official release date. 

I just added a game just to check it out and the savings came off automatically just as it always did. I didnt need to add anything else
Yeah but were you logged in? That counts as having your account "added to the transaction". I think the 'change' is that if you forget to sign in or forget to give your membership info in-store they can't retroactively adjust the purchase (you can, of course, still return and rebuy).

Huh? The email explicitly states "Changes to the Gamer Club unlocked take effect immediately".

But I don't see any noticeable differences.
Strange, mine says July 31st. I guess they sent different emails to the regular gamer's club members (I share my GCU, so I don't get the GCU emails).

Just got this email too. All I care about is that we still get 20% off new games (which is still listed).
I frantically searched then breathed a sigh of relief when I saw it was still there.

I scanned the document and didn't see anything different except maybe having to sign up in store? I've always signed up in-store so I dunno

I clicked on this expecting to see that GCU was going to only offer the 20% off the first two weeks like Amazon. Looks like nothing of note has changed though, so that's good. If they went the route of Amazon I wouldn't renew GCU and I'd start buying everything from Amazon, but if Best Buy leaves GCU alone then I will continue to spend thousands of dollars with them. 

20% discount off new physical video game software (excludes pre-owned video game software and digital gaming). Limit 3 copies of each title per platform per year per member.
Is this different? I thought it was limited to 3 copies of a game period, regardless of the platform(s).

WOW I expected a rage fest

"Ever since they lower the price, GCU has been shite. All these new ppl ruined it!"

like we used to see... Glad to know it was nothing afterall!

I bet this was just a test to let us know that they will change the terms at any time. In a few weeks they will remove the 20% discount :twoguns:  

I don't want to freak everyone out but there is a major change that they seem to have not mentioned to the public:

GCU will no longer work on Black Friday deals. :whistle2:(

I don't want to freak everyone out but there is a major change that they seem to have not mentioned to the public:

GCU will no longer work on Black Friday deals. :whistle2:(
I noticed this too and was trying to track the thread back down to post it. Looks like I got beat to the punch. That is a major negative. Who doesn't like stacking on top of already decent deals?

where does it say that in the terms?
Ugh... I definitely didn't notice when I saw it before...

20% discount off new physical video games (excludes pre-owned video game software and digital gaming). Benefit does not combine with promotions advertised in Best Buy's Thanksgiving Day physical ad or expanded digital ad

No one said anything about it in the first few pages so I figured it was only told internally.

Ugh... I definitely didn't notice when I saw it before...

20% discount off new physical video games (excludes pre-owned video game software and digital gaming). Benefit does not combine with promotions advertised in Best Buy's Thanksgiving Day physical ad or expanded digital ad
BOOOOOOO this change!

I'll just have to watch extra closely for the 45 days after a purchase then

bread's done
Back