- - - - -

So you thought Obamacare will give you insurance well guess again

#1 slidecage   Nothing to say CAGiversary!   29326 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:36 PM

https://www.yahoo.co...-191310560.html

so i pay  400 a month for my health insurance and  they are now  demanding   20 to 40% jump rate in indiana  meaning my health care will be next  year 

480 to  560  PER MONTH...

seems i will be going to the doctor every day this year   cause next year i will not have insurance.

#2 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20828 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:44 PM

Technically, it still gives you insurance.

#slidecage'd

#3 dohdough   Sum Dum Guy CAGiversary!   6854 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:06 PM

We need more threads like these.

#4 RedvsBlue  

RedvsBlue

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:54 PM

Good on ya slidecage, still usin' the Yahoo like its 1999.

#5 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10957 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:27 PM

so i pay  400 a month for my health insurance and  they are now  demanding   20 to 40% jump rate in indiana  meaning my health care will be next  year

Sounds like you picked the wrong state to live in.  You should move.

#6 slidecage   Nothing to say CAGiversary!   29326 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:25 PM

Sounds like you picked the wrong state to live in.  You should move.

texas is worse what was it  100% jump they want

and its going to get worse with them allowing the insurance companies to merge.  It was what  5  this year and going down to 3  next

#7 Finger_Shocker  

Finger_Shocker

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:28 PM

Why don't you blame the REPUBLICAN governor of your state instead.   Instead of hating gays, passing stupid religious laws, and giving tax breaks to the rich, maybe they would spend more time working FOR the WELFARE of EVERYONE in the state

#8 slidecage   Nothing to say CAGiversary!   29326 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:30 PM

Why don't you blame the REPUBLICAN governor of your state instead.   Instead of hating gays, passing stupid religious laws, and giving tax breaks to the rich, maybe they would spend more time working FOR the WELFARE of EVERYONE in the state

lol  more  welfare  maybe instead  how about getting them OFF and making them find jobs instead of sitting on their asses.

#9 dohdough   Sum Dum Guy CAGiversary!   6854 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:39 PM

lol  more  welfare  maybe instead  how about getting them OFF and making them find jobs instead of sitting on their asses.

:shock:

If-Youre_TPBO.jpg

#10 Finger_Shocker  

Finger_Shocker

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:40 PM

Well that would mean if you GET OF YOUR ASS and WORK MORE AND HARDER, you could pay for the cost of your health insurance instead of bitching about Obama right?

Are you going to blame Obama for rising cost insurance prices, how about the continual rise of food and rent.

I bet its Obama fault too that bread is no longer 10cents like it was in the 30's too

Plane tickets used to cost under 100 bucks, I bet its Obama fault too for the yearly rise in flight cost as well.

Maybe if America isn't full of stupid uneducated people, stupid immigration policies, not allowing monopolization of the drugs/health care/ industries  we would have more doctors and health professionals, which actually will lower costs. 

We have a gov't who don't even care about funding to stop diseases like Zika, Ebola, Drug-resistant bacteria, all that affects health cost.  Once you are sick it cost more to resolve than if there is preventive measures already in place

#11 slidecage   Nothing to say CAGiversary!   29326 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:10 PM

Well that would mean if you GET OF YOUR ASS and WORK MORE AND HARDER, you could pay for the cost of your health insurance instead of bitching about Obama right?

Are you going to blame Obama for rising cost insurance prices, how about the continual rise of food and rent.

I bet its Obama fault too that bread is no longer 10cents like it was in the 30's too

Plane tickets used to cost under 100 bucks, I bet its Obama fault too for the yearly rise in flight cost as well.

Maybe if America isn't full of stupid uneducated people, stupid immigration policies, not allowing monopolization of the drugs/health care/ industries  we would have more doctors and health professionals, which actually will lower costs. 

We have a gov't who don't even care about funding to stop diseases like Zika, Ebola, Drug-resistant bacteria, all that affects health cost.  Once you are sick it cost more to resolve than if there is preventive measures already in place

obama wants to take credit for  everything else so  might as well give them credit for this.  He told people   its  FREE and people think its free cause they are not paying their monthly bills   (look at how much insurance companies have lost  since  taking these people)

also is the fault of  any person  who  allowed this fucking insurance companies to merge

why the Fuck should i work harder  when  the people who sit on their asses are given more  free stuff.    That is why another war civil war is civil war is coming  laugh all you want but in the next 100 years or less  you will see this nation split

#12 Finger_Shocker  

Finger_Shocker

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:35 PM

why the Fuck should i work harder  when  the people who sit on their asses are given more  free stuff.    That is why another war civil war is civil war is coming  laugh all you want but in the next 100 years or less  you will see this nation split

Practice what you preach

Lead by example

This is the reason why America is a failure of a nation and will fail, the gov't is great at punishing people but fail to hold itself accountable.

#13 berzirk   I'm not so serious CAGiversary!   2506 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:55 PM

So ehh...his poorly worded, rambling post is at least rooted in reality.  We were told all along that those dirty, miserable, uninsured people were driving up healthcare costs by going to the emergency room and never paying their bills, and if only they were insured, then we could start driving down healthcare costs. In a vacuum, that might work.  The problem is that nobody is going to offer their money as the pool to take away from.  So healthcare providers are more likely to get paid.  You think they'll respond by dropping rates for services?  Of course not.  At least in Oregon, many of the large providers hate working with the government insurance programs, and have banned new Medicare/caid customers and Oregon Health Plan families because the process is so undesirable. 

Well, then maybe the health insurance companies will lower their premiums because they have been handed millions of new customers, while losing some of their restrictions of pre-existing conditions and insurance caps?  That's been completely disproven, with states across the country reporting that the insurance companies operating out of their states are submitting premium increases of 20+ percent. So they haven't elected to take less money (not to mention the clause in the ACA that was supposed to grant them government money if they found a way to lose money - so as a business, they literally cannot lose money.  Surely lobbyists weren't involved in this altruistic legislation). 

Then lastly, the consumers...us.  Are we willing to pay a bunch more in health costs and premiums to close the gap on increasing healthcare costs?  Well...guess what...we don't have a choice, so there's the answer. We no longer need to pay higher rates and costs because those terrible uninsured wretches...we need to pay it because they have insurance now from the government.  

So at least in my household, the Affordable Care Act has made healthcare less affordable for my family, and it appears that unless you're eligible for free healthcare, your costs have gone up too. 

#14 slidecage   Nothing to say CAGiversary!   29326 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:04 PM

So ehh...his poorly worded, rambling post is at least rooted in reality.  We were told all along that those dirty, miserable, uninsured people were driving up healthcare costs by going to the emergency room and never paying their bills, and if only they were insured, then we could start driving down healthcare costs. In a vacuum, that might work.  The problem is that nobody is going to offer their money as the pool to take away from.  So healthcare providers are more likely to get paid.  You think they'll respond by dropping rates for services?  Of course not.  At least in Oregon, many of the large providers hate working with the government insurance programs, and have banned new Medicare/caid customers and Oregon Health Plan families because the process is so undesirable. 

Well, then maybe the health insurance companies will lower their premiums because they have been handed millions of new customers, while losing some of their restrictions of pre-existing conditions and insurance caps?  That's been completely disproven, with states across the country reporting that the insurance companies operating out of their states are submitting premium increases of 20+ percent. So they haven't elected to take less money (not to mention the clause in the ACA that was supposed to grant them government money if they found a way to lose money - so as a business, they literally cannot lose money.  Surely lobbyists weren't involved in this altruistic legislation). 

Then lastly, the consumers...us.  Are we willing to pay a bunch more in health costs and premiums to close the gap on increasing healthcare costs?  Well...guess what...we don't have a choice, so there's the answer. We no longer need to pay higher rates and costs because those terrible uninsured wretches...we need to pay it because they have insurance now from the government.  

So at least in my household, the Affordable Care Act has made healthcare less affordable for my family, and it appears that unless you're eligible for free healthcare, your costs have gone up too. 

also the insurance companies are   lairs.. My mother has insurance though her work   Right on the card it says 

IN NETWORK....  1000 Dec. max out of pocket 2000..

about a month ago  she was thowing up all day  every 2 hours   and then at night  she started throwing up every hour so we took them to the  ER  (got to love the people in the ER,  2 people were they cause they had  colds  another person was there cause  their foot did not feel right , like they really paid the 5000 bucks it cost to be in there)       Well after sitting in the er for   5 hours they come back and said she had the flu and sent us home.. She goes to work monday  and is sick but works,  She goes to work tuesday and  passes out and starts throwing up again   so back to the er she goes   and find out she has  kindey stones and maybe a  blockage...   total  bill  was like 3000 bucks after insurance   If you had none the bill was like 18,000  (like i said like these people who are going in with a cold paid it)   Well  we call up the insurance company to see what is going on    since  MAX out of pocket was  2000,  They go   O we up that to  5000 but we  did not want to make up new cards     WTF

Also when i signed up for my insurance they got my  DEC is  2000 and max is  7500.. I call them up after getting sick and now are told my  dec is  1200 and my max is 5000. Everytime i call them up asking a question they say i need to get a referal to see a doctor  (what i dont) 

it just shows you how fucking stupid these people are 

i been told to go  to  HIP here in the state    but good luck finding any doctors that will accept it   that is  why im going to the doctor  to get my   knee. leg   back  shoulder and   heart  taken care of this  year  Before im forced to move to  hip next year  

also this does not add up they told me to stay away from  MDWISE   cause its nothing but medicade?   Yet the  amount is the same   415  a month for it>

i found my old bills 

2013  my   health  was  250 a month

2014  it jumped to  320

2015 it jumped to  400

if i stayed it  it would of been 460   

that is  doubled within 3 years

#15 dohdough   Sum Dum Guy CAGiversary!   6854 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:49 PM

also the insurance companies are   lairs.. My mother has insurance though her work   Right on the card it says 

IN NETWORK....  1000 Dec. max out of pocket 2000..

about a month ago  she was thowing up all day  every 2 hours   and then at night  she started throwing up every hour so we took them to the  ER  (got to love the people in the ER,  2 people were they cause they had  colds  another person was there cause  their foot did not feel right , like they really paid the 5000 bucks it cost to be in there)       Well after sitting in the er for   5 hours they come back and said she had the flu and sent us home.. She goes to work monday  and is sick but works,  She goes to work tuesday and  passes out and starts throwing up again   so back to the er she goes   and find out she has  kindey stones and maybe a  blockage...   total  bill  was like 3000 bucks after insurance   If you had none the bill was like 18,000  (like i said like these people who are going in with a cold paid it)   Well  we call up the insurance company to see what is going on    since  MAX out of pocket was  2000,  They go   O we up that to  5000 but we  did not want to make up new cards     WTF

Also when i signed up for my insurance they got my  DEC is  2000 and max is  7500.. I call them up after getting sick and now are told my  dec is  1200 and my max is 5000. Everytime i call them up asking a question they say i need to get a referal to see a doctor  (what i dont) 

it just shows you how fucking stupid these people are 

i been told to go  to  HIP here in the state    but good luck finding any doctors that will accept it   that is  why im going to the doctor  to get my   knee. leg   back  shoulder and   heart  taken care of this  year  Before im forced to move to  hip next year  

also this does not add up they told me to stay away from  MDWISE   cause its nothing but medicade?   Yet the  amount is the same   415  a month for it>

i found my old bills 

2013  my   health  was  250 a month

2014  it jumped to  320

2015 it jumped to  400

if i stayed it  it would of been 460   

that is  doubled within 3 years

$10 says that you don't read any of the insurance documents that you get in the mail outside of pre-estimates and hospital bills.

The problem is that states with these crazy increases tend to have healthcare systems that are run like shit. Why's that? Because the states are the ones that run the exchanges.

Even then, 99.99% of people have no idea how much insurance used to cost, especially if you got in on a group policy-rate through the employer. At $250 a month, slidecage has a high deductible disaster policy that covered maybe half of what's being covered now. His current plan as an individual would've cost at least twice as much as it currently does if it weren't for PPACA.

What PPACA does is put everyone into a group policy-rate. My insurance cost me about $60 a month, but it costs my employer about $600, which is a decent plan. A Cadillac Plan would cost maybe $700. On the MA state exchange, a similar plan costs about the same. Sure, it's a shit ton of money, but like I said, a vast majority of people are completely ignorant to how much insurance actually costs and for those that were unable to get on a group policy prior to PPACA, it provides massive savings...unless of course you're slidecage and paid $250 a month only to enjoy a $10k deductible with barely any coverage.

It's the same shit with cellphones and car repairs...drives me fucking batty.

#16 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20828 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:41 PM

$10 says that you don't read any of the insurance documents that you get in the mail outside of pre-estimates and hospital bills.

$10 says he can't even read.

There's a good chance he's just smashing his face into the keyboard to respond to people, and random words are coming out as a result of it.

Would explain a lot actually, now that I think about it...

#17 detectiveconan16   Delicious! CAGiversary!   7124 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

detectiveconan16

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:24 PM

And 10 years ago was better regarding health insurance? The only reason Obamacare exists is because of the colossal Fuck up that happened beforehand, people went bankrupt trying to get heart surgery or cancer treatments, and if you could afford it but shown to have one of a long list of diseases like a yeast infection, you're sol.  People are complaining now because they're not the same young invincible bucks they were in 2006, Insurance IS expensive, and if people actually gave a crap we'd have something better than this barely of an improvement ACA. Nope, we're wasting our tax monies on a bunch of overgrown children in Washington who promise to repeal Obamacare over and over and over, instead of providing real solutions.

#18 berzirk   I'm not so serious CAGiversary!   2506 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:41 AM

It would be wonderful to get to the bottom of why medical procedures cost so much more in the US than anywhere else, but that's damaging to both Republicans AND Democrats, and they can't hide behind their lobbyists.  In summary, the government inflates medical costs by requiring that Medicare/caid cannot be charged a higher rate than anyone else, even though they are shitty to work with, so they have set the price floor. There (to my knowlege) is no price ceiling, so you have these various not-for-profit (HA!) insurance companies working with the not-for-profit (HAAAA!) clinics on figuring out how much a person should have to spend out of pocket. 

And on the topic of reading insurance forms, claims, and "This is Not a Bill, This is Not a Bill, THIS ONE IS A BILL" forms, I'm moderately well educated, fairly old, and have a fundamental understanding of the process, and I find medical bills and insurance statements horribly confusing, misleading, and a pain in the ass to decipher. Asking for a detailed bill after a medical procedure (pregnancy) is about as offensive to clinics, as fisting the Pope would be to Catholics.  Reading through that shit and seeing that an extra-strength Advil is $10 a pill in the post-partum room?  You'll learn the true meaning of rage.

#19 slidecage   Nothing to say CAGiversary!   29326 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:45 AM

The problem is that states with these crazy increases tend to have healthcare systems that are run like shit. Why's that? Because the states are the ones that run the exchanges.

Even then, 99.99% of people have no idea how much insurance used to cost, especially if you got in on a group policy-rate through the employer. At $250 a month, slidecage has a high deductible disaster policy that covered maybe half of what's being covered now. His current plan as an individual would've cost at least twice as much as it currently does if it weren't for PPACA.

What PPACA does is put everyone into a group policy-rate. My insurance cost me about $60 a month, but it costs my employer about $600, which is a decent plan. A Cadillac Plan would cost maybe $700. On the MA state exchange, a similar plan costs about the same. Sure, it's a shit ton of money, but like I said, a vast majority of people are completely ignorant to how much insurance actually costs and for those that were unable to get on a group policy prior to PPACA, it provides massive savings...unless of course you're slidecage and paid $250 a month only to enjoy a $10k deductible with barely any coverage.

It's the same shit with cellphones and car repairs...drives me fucking batty.

Ummmm   shows you have no clue what your talking about     ONE the  250  a month  was a single person plan  (my job never offered health insurance)   My   De.  was  1500 and  3000 Out of pocket   and  COVERED everything   ... it was the same     1500 and 3000 out of pocket and it went up to  the 400 per month  3  years later  (that is  with not seeing the doctor at all in those 3 years)  

the insurance i have now though the marketplace   Im paying the same  400 a month..  DE is  1200   out of pocket is  5000 or so and covers    a lot lot less (no x rays  until  i pay the first 1200,... no lab  test until i pay the 1200... no rehab  until i pay the 1200)  ect

i get 0  tax credit  per month

so im payin the same for less covarge

#20 slidecage   Nothing to say CAGiversary!   29326 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:48 AM

It would be wonderful to get to the bottom of why medical procedures cost so much more in the US than anywhere else, but that's damaging to both Republicans AND Democrats, and they can't hide behind their lobbyists.  In summary, the government inflates medical costs by requiring that Medicare/caid cannot be charged a higher rate than anyone else, even though they are shitty to work with, so they have set the price floor. There (to my knowlege) is no price ceiling, so you have these various not-for-profit (HA!) insurance companies working with the not-for-profit (HAAAA!) clinics on figuring out how much a person should have to spend out of pocket. 

And on the topic of reading insurance forms, claims, and "This is Not a Bill, This is Not a Bill, THIS ONE IS A BILL" forms, I'm moderately well educated, fairly old, and have a fundamental understanding of the process, and I find medical bills and insurance statements horribly confusing, misleading, and a pain in the ass to decipher. Asking for a detailed bill after a medical procedure (pregnancy) is about as offensive to clinics, as fisting the Pope would be to Catholics.  Reading through that shit and seeing that an extra-strength Advil is $10 a pill in the post-partum room?  You'll learn the true meaning of rage.

why it cost so much cause people  have colds and runs to the   ER     runs up  5000 bucks and goes  Im  not paying for it  they said it was free.    Was talking to the doctor  when  was waiting for my mother  to come back from her test and they said over  40%   of the people they see in the ER  never pay their bills that is why it cost so much.   Now if this is true i have no clue.   

#21 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20828 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:53 AM

I think slidecage is starting to overheat, and burn out.

His text is starting to randomly change sizes within the same post.

Capitalizations seems to be optional.

Single spaces between words in a sentence just aren't enough anymore.

Appears to have parrot syndrome, and starting to repeat himself over and over again.

Coherency is at an all time low, even for slidecage standards.

Total meltdown is imminent, people.  RUN!

#22 RedvsBlue  

RedvsBlue

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:17 PM

It would be wonderful to get to the bottom of why medical procedures cost so much more in the US than anywhere else, but that's damaging to both Republicans AND Democrats, and they can't hide behind their lobbyists. In summary, the government inflates medical costs by requiring that Medicare/caid cannot be charged a higher rate than anyone else, even though they are shitty to work with, so they have set the price floor. There (to my knowlege) is no price ceiling, so you have these various not-for-profit (HA!) insurance companies working with the not-for-profit (HAAAA!) clinics on figuring out how much a person should have to spend out of pocket.

Just remember folks, just because it's not-for-profit doesn't mean the CEO and top execs aren't making a fat payday...

#23 berzirk   I'm not so serious CAGiversary!   2506 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:36 PM

Just remember folks, just because it's not-for-profit doesn't mean the CEO and top execs aren't making a fat payday...

Absolutely.  It's a balance sheet thing to be not for profit.  If you made too much, you need to spend more.  I'd love to see that status be audited thoroughly.  Talk about places that need government intervention - not for profits, religious tax exempt, public funding of private companies.  That needs some real oversight. 

#24 SonicGamer   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   998 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:44 AM

I see Obama care being changed. Its not even a realistic thing to be able to afford the payments let alone the copays

#25 dopa345   All around nice guy CAGiversary!   2247 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:52 PM

The problem with Obamacare is that is a completely self-defeating system which disregards the whole concept of insurance coverage and risk pools.

In order for insurance coverage to work, the majority of people that pay into it have to take out less than they pay in.  The point is that it is a safety net so for most things (auto insurance, homeowners insurance, life insurance especially) we hope that never have to use it and don't mind paying into it for the peace of mind of having that safety net.  Likewise, the insurer can adjust your premium based on your risk.  Shitty drivers should have to pay more to get insurance coverage compared to someone with a spotless driving record.  People who have risk factors for early death (obesity, smoking, high blood pressure) should have to pay more or even be denied life insurance coverage compared to a fit, non-smoking person with no health issues.

The problem with Obamacare is that it explicitly prevents insurers from making these adjustments in regards to health insurance.  Everyone in a given health plan pays the same regardless of health status.  As a result, healthy people will pay more than they normally would, sicker people will pay less.  So the moral hazard is that as premiums climb, healthy people will forgo insurance, leaving only the sicker member buying insurance.  In turn, this leads to costs for the insurer to increase since the risk pool is sicker, premiums go up driving out healthier members continuing this vicious cycle.  Even worse, Obamacare has loopholes that permit people to wait until they get sick, enroll for insurance, then cancel once they no longer need it which exacerbates this problem.   The nominal penalty is not enough to discourage this type of behavior and this is why premium increases have actually accelerated compared to before Obamacare.  And I won't even get into how Obamacare screws over providers.....

And why medical care costs more in the US than other countries?  Easy.  It's the toxic medicolegal environment of medical practice that hangs over the system.  If we simply employed a loser pays system, that would greatly alleviate health care costs off the bat.

#26 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   4392 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:30 PM

Well, if you're going to talk legal reform ("tort reform"), there is a problem with "loser pays" wherein legitimate cases may not be brought for fear of losing. I have what I think is a better solution: don't give the winner these astronomical judgments, particularly the punitive damages part of the award. Instead, give the person only reimbursement + pain and suffering + maybe a small multiplier of some sort... and the rest of the money goes to a charity or something. (But not for executive salaries at the charity!!) Then you calculate the attorneys' portion based off of that smaller amount and not the entire judgement. That would cause fewer lawsuits to be brought--particularly frivolous ones--where the plaintiffs are seeing the court system as a potential lottery payout.

As far as the insurance costs being out of whack, alot of that has to do with government being involved in the process as well as people not having to pay directly for things. I realize you can't shop around when you go into cardiac arrest, but many other Dr. visits and other non-essential care are not comparison shopped just like other things so there are no market forces that can bring down the costs. Imagine if every hotel had to offer the same level of accommodations to everyone... we'd need hotel insurance!

#27 slidecage   Nothing to say CAGiversary!   29326 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:46 PM

United healthcare has just said they are LEAVING The market place   BUT you can still buy  insurance though they  by yourself.    Reports of up to 80% of the people who have went though the market place to buy united health care    have not  paid a single payment in  2015 and they have lost over 500 million dollars.   So if your lose your insurance you can thanks the sob  who  want it and think they dont have to pay for it... Then again  you really cant blame them when obama was on tv every day saying this insurance was going to be  FREE 

#28 The Green Giant   Leader of the Veggies CAGiversary!   9400 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

The Green Giant

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:32 PM

https://www.yahoo.co...-191310560.html

480 to  560  PER MONTH...

seems i will be going to the doctor every day this year   cause next year i will not have insurance.

Guess it's time to make the USA a socialist nation where health care is free for all and paid for by taxes on the wealthy.

#29 mrsilkunderwear   Just Do It. CAGiversary!   1701 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

mrsilkunderwear

Posted 12 June 2016 - 11:11 PM

Guess it's time to make the USA a socialist nation where health care is free for all and paid for by taxes on the wealthy.

Or you know, get the government out of it. 

#30 dohdough   Sum Dum Guy CAGiversary!   6854 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:58 AM

The problem with Obamacare is that is a completely self-defeating system which disregards the whole concept of insurance coverage and risk pools.

In order for insurance coverage to work, the majority of people that pay into it have to take out less than they pay in.  The point is that it is a safety net so for most things (auto insurance, homeowners insurance, life insurance especially) we hope that never have to use it and don't mind paying into it for the peace of mind of having that safety net.  Likewise, the insurer can adjust your premium based on your risk.  Shitty drivers should have to pay more to get insurance coverage compared to someone with a spotless driving record.  People who have risk factors for early death (obesity, smoking, high blood pressure) should have to pay more or even be denied life insurance coverage compared to a fit, non-smoking person with no health issues.

The problem with Obamacare is that it explicitly prevents insurers from making these adjustments in regards to health insurance.  Everyone in a given health plan pays the same regardless of health status.  As a result, healthy people will pay more than they normally would, sicker people will pay less.  So the moral hazard is that as premiums climb, healthy people will forgo insurance, leaving only the sicker member buying insurance.  In turn, this leads to costs for the insurer to increase since the risk pool is sicker, premiums go up driving out healthier members continuing this vicious cycle.  Even worse, Obamacare has loopholes that permit people to wait until they get sick, enroll for insurance, then cancel once they no longer need it which exacerbates this problem.   The nominal penalty is not enough to discourage this type of behavior and this is why premium increases have actually accelerated compared to before Obamacare.  And I won't even get into how Obamacare screws over providers.....

And why medical care costs more in the US than other countries?  Easy.  It's the toxic medicolegal environment of medical practice that hangs over the system.  If we simply employed a loser pays system, that would greatly alleviate health care costs off the bat.

You should leave your business office affairs to your office manager, human resources, or whoever handles the billing because you clearly have no idea how enrollment periods work or frankly, anything remotely related to billing.

I have to admit, reading someone touting tort reform as a solution gave me a giggle.