* * * - - 26 votes

Limited Run Games Thread - Big Day Feb.23, Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD [Vita], Revenant Saga [PS4/Vita], & The Metronomicon [PS4]

limited run games omg so rare ps4 vita

#16291 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20692 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:30 AM

The canceled games are unannounced and smaller.

No flip tables from me then.

gjDkeqL.gifv3llIct.gif

Spoiler

#16292 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22306 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:27 AM

This isn’t going to be their first switch release, but it was just announced. They’ll be announcing another one at 60k followers (about 5k to go).

Glad I saw this... almost traded for a PS4 copy recently. 

Currently playing: 

Nada... 

fyreboltx.png

║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#16293 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5649 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:31 PM

Glad I saw this... almost traded for a PS4 copy recently. 

I wonder what the numbers will be for this? To low, and now you've pissed off the new NS crowd of shoppers, who will in turn state they won't be back(which is BS). LOL Or they produce to many, and the "sky is falling", as no one want's it because it's in stock more than a few days.

This is going to be highly entertaining either way, as the PS4/Vita crowds where bad enough, but the "N" crowds, holy shit, LRG better start praying now. LOL

#16294 homeoneday  

homeoneday

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:53 PM

I wonder what the numbers will be for this? To low, and now you've pissed off the new NS crowd of shoppers, who will in turn state they won't be back(which is BS). LOL Or they produce to many, and the "sky is falling", as no one want's it because it's in stock more than a few days.

This is going to be highly entertaining either way, as the PS4/Vita crowds where bad enough, but the "N" crowds, holy shit, LRG better start praying now. LOL

People will always complain no matter what lrg do. It’s actually a good sign for their business. Otherwise no one will care.

#16295 JoshTX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2304 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:31 PM

but the "N" crowds, holy shit

Ha. Got a good laugh reading this. Fanboys of all products are annoying, but the Nintendo fan club takes the cake. 

joshTX.png

#16296 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22306 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:26 PM

Doesn't Nintendo also have a bigger print requirement than Sony? Or was that just a thing in the past? 

Ha. Got a good laugh reading this. Fanboys of all products are annoying, but the Nintendo fan club takes the cake. 

As someone who was once part of this, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this. I mean, they make fantastic games but holy shit, their fanboys preach them like every single game they release is the greatest game ever made. 

Currently playing: 

Nada... 

fyreboltx.png

║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#16297 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   3550 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

As someone who was once part of this, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this. I mean, they make fantastic games but holy shit, their fanboys preach them like every single game they release is the greatest game ever made. 

All evidence of this is on the facebook page Everything Nintendo

#16298 zlatour   Banned Banned   1785 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:45 PM

LRG should use Saturday Morning RPG to gauge Switch sales.

The contract is essentially with themselves and they are the developers. It's ok to over produce on this one, imho, because it will eventually sellout, and, after production costs, it's 100% profit for them.

#16299 jedex   Elite Chemist CAGiversary!   752 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:53 PM

The contract is essentially with themselves and they are the developers. It's ok to over produce on this one, imho, because it will eventually sellout, and, after production costs, it's 100% profit for them.

The question is how much will they charge for it?

I'm guessing 35 plus

#16300 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5649 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:01 PM

Doesn't Nintendo also have a bigger print requirement than Sony? Or was that just a thing in the past? 

Last gen there was a bigger requirements, but I thought I read it is now a non issue(but I may be wrong).

Yeah, I don't even bother to comment on "N" specific sites like Go Nintendo anymore. As the koolaid was once being served in a Big Gulp, and now it's just hooked up by IV, so no level of sanity is ever had. LOL

I was actually gonna recommend this as well, as sitting on inventory for your own games isn't really a big deal. With the NS user base, I don't know that qty's over the PS4 will really be needed, but as stated, the "N" crowd defies logic at every turn, so who knows?

The question is how much will they charge for it?

I'm guessing 35 plus

I would guess the pricing will be based around what they offer it for on the e-shop, as the N tax may be a factor.

#16301 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   786 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:42 PM

Well, luckily, most of LRG have smaller file sizes, so maybe the "Nintendo tax" won't be a factor with LRG releases not needing larger cards.

#16302 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   6554 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:59 PM

It's so true. Nintendo fanatics are the nuttiest nutjobs around.  Oversized man-children.

You begin to suspect that your bowl is a portal to the Meat Dimension.

#16303 falsedichotomies  

falsedichotomies

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:12 PM

Im kind of disappointed this is even the announced title. I thought the plan for Switch was higher profile releases at a reduced rate.

#16304 reaperztoll  

reaperztoll

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:16 PM

Im kind of disappointed this is even the announced title. I thought the plan for Switch was higher profile releases at a reduced rate.

I was a big supporter of these guys at the start but have completely cooled to them. If they start releasing anything of quality I'll consider a purchase down the road but all I see is garbage for a while now.

Too much real life, not enough time for video games

#16305 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5627 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:24 PM

I was a big supporter of these guys at the start but have completely cooled to them. If they start releasing anything of quality I'll consider a purchase down the road but all I see is garbage for a while now.

We get it.  You've literally posted the same thing repeatedly.  Why would anyone who doesn't like a product or company keep posting in the thread dedicated to that product and company over and over again?  Nobody cares.   

#16306 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5649 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:28 PM

This isn't the main title they have been promoting, that will happen once they reach their social media numbers, whatever the hell that was. But as stated above, why bother to come here when all games are trash and not worth your time?

Saturday Morning RPG is a game by LRG development side(Mighty Rabbit), and was a pretty well received title for what it was. And for whatever qty's they offer, it's all extra cash for them. I would probably port B&C as well, and make some extra dollars with that.

#16307 reaperztoll  

reaperztoll

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:50 PM

We get it.  You've literally posted the same thing repeatedly.  Why would anyone who doesn't like a product or company keep posting in the thread dedicated to that product and company over and over again?  Nobody cares.   

Why do you constantly pick fights with anyone who posts in this thread? Same rationale, you have turned into the thread police in here and it's hilarious.

Too much real life, not enough time for video games

#16308 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   10406 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:10 PM

It's so true. Nintendo fanatics are the nuttiest nutjobs around. Oversized man-children.

Theyre like. Cool announcement! So where is the Switch release? As you know, I only buy Switch games, even if theyre inferior versions.

#16309 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5627 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:17 PM

Why do you constantly pick fights with anyone who posts in this thread? Same rationale, you have turned into the thread police in here and it's hilarious.

Oh, the irony and lack of self awareness with this guy...

#16310 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8170 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:18 PM

I think it's alright to be a bit critical of releases. I mentioned Croixleur Sigma being extremely short and not super hard even on higher difficulties. Not everyone just collects everything to have a complete physical PS4/Vita/Whatever the heck library.

#16311 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5627 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:29 PM

I think it's alright to be a bit critical of releases. I mentioned Croixleur Sigma being extremely short and not super hard even on higher difficulties. Not everyone just collects everything to have a complete physical PS4/Vita/Whatever the heck library.

I fully agree, but there is a difference between being critical and just coming into a thread for something you know you dislike to repeatedly post about how bad it is.    

#16312 elessar123  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:45 PM

I'm guessing it'll have a $10 Nintendo tax for the physical, cause those damn carts are expensive.

Spoiler

#16313 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5649 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:38 PM

I'm guessing it'll have a $10 Nintendo tax for the physical, cause those damn carts are expensive.

They could also do a special LE for Golf Story that has a "grass" flavored cart, and really get the collectors going. LOL

#16314 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2476 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:05 PM

Well, on the one hand, the Vita carts aren't exactly cheap to produce either. And yet those titles frequently come in at the same price as the cheaper PS4 copies.

But yes, the Switch titles that come out of LRG will most likely have some manner of "Nintendo tax" appended to them. Not only is it a physical medium, but Nintendo is much less aggressive when it comes to sales of their digital games. So the digital baseline for a lot of these titles on the eShop is going to be higher than what you would typically see on PSN. And while the Switch is doing decently, it doesn't have the same kind of install base as the PS4. So Nintendo isn't producing Switch carts with the kind of capacity that Sony is cranking out PS4 games. That's going to translate into a higher per-unit production cost.

I expect the Switch releases to come in somewhere in the $30 - $40 range, tack another $5 - $10 on for a decent manual. The "collectors" editions with extras will likely be around the same price as current collector's editions. The extras produced for those usually have much better markups than the games themselves.

I got my River City Ransom and Double Dragon order in yesterday. Now I actually need to try playing the games.

#16315 NiiNJA   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   363 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:19 PM

Got my copies of River City Melee in today and thankfully I ordered 2 because that Battle Royal SP cover is an abomination! The back cover on DDIV being all orange is a bit rough too lol.

#16316 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   6554 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:13 PM

I buy a ton of games from LRG.  I'll be as critical of them as I feel like.   They haven't been doing a very good job with the games they've chosen to release lately.  Double Dragon 4 and River City Melee were cool ideas.  But there there hasn't been as much value as I'd like to see with most releases. Scrolling shooters and RPGs are good ideas for the types of games that people like to collect.  Like Dariusburst.  Nex Machina was an ideal type of game to publish.  Dear Esther and other arthouse indies are ideal choices as well.  I hope to see some more games like those in the future. Presently, LRG is running off fumes from their previous good releases.  I'm glad to hear they've cancelled some of the upcoming shovelware. 

poor shitpost1997  :argue:

#16317 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   6554 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

On a side note, do other people feel like 2017 just happened to be a slow year for indie game releases? 

Maybe I spent too much time on the NFL and fantasy football this year, that I'm out of the loop.  But I've checked out several goty and best games from '17 lists and there just wasn't a whole lot of good Indie action.   Seems like it was a down year.  It's probably hard to find good stuff to publish, let alone get a deal done.

The biggest things I heard of were games like Thimbleweed Park, Night in the Woods, and What Remains of Edith Finch.  I hope LRG can get some of those games. 

#16318 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2476 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:24 PM

Well, it's important to remember that LRG aren't solely responsible for what they put out. LRG is a very small-scale physical publisher, and they are dependent on the developers they work with for all of their releases, and frequently for the actual nature of the content they put out. The cover art for their releases, for instance, is usually provided by the developers. I believe that LRG occasionally produces the cover art themselves, but this is the exception, and not the rule. And even in those situations they are still dependent on the developer for source artwork and final approval. So they don't exactly have a free hand in such decisions.

They also don't just get to release games all willy-nilly. They have to sign contracts months in advance of release, and they are bound by their contracts once signed. Breaking of any of those contracts for cancelling a release will likely involve the reimbursement of funds, as well as potentially soured relations with the developer in question. So they can't exactly go around cancelling releases to streamline their release schedule at will either. And on top of all that, the recent ESRB policy change has thrown a wrench into the whole process, which will likely derail or delay several of their existing contracts.

The whole process is not nearly as cut-and-dry as some fans seem to think. I'm always confused when people point to LRG themselves and blame them for elements that they frankly had little or no control over. If you feel a particular game they release isn't good, just don't buy it. Nothing wrong with that. I've done that myself several times. I'm not going to pretend that their catalog is without fault, not all games are gems. But it is also important to differentiate between personal taste and critical appraisal. I'm not a sports game guy. I've just never found sports sims appealing. But if LRG released one that most sports fans agreed was solid, I wouldn't claim that they had dropped the ball just because that particular title wasn't in my wheelhouse. I can acknowledge that a game is technically and creatively worthwhile, even if I personally would never want to play it.

#16319 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3228 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:52 PM

On a side note, do other people feel like 2017 just happened to be a slow year for indie game releases? 

Maybe I spent too much time on the NFL and fantasy football this year, that I'm out of the loop.  But I've checked out several goty and best games from '17 lists and there just wasn't a whole lot of good Indie action.   Seems like it was a down year.  It's probably hard to find good stuff to publish, let alone get a deal done.

The biggest things I heard of were games like Thimbleweed Park, Night in the Woods, and What Remains of Edith Finch.  I hope LRG can get some of those games. 

It comes back to the "what is indie" debate. My brother in law essentially washes everything that doesn't come from an established or "big" publisher as indie. So games like Pyre are just as indie as Undertale.

I bought Thimbleweed on sale in the e-shop and played Edith Finch on release. I avoided Night in the Woods since it came off as hipster simulator but a few youtube videos have me interested in the Switch release.

All three of those are much more marquee IMO than what LRG typically publishes and while I'd love to see them as well I have to imagine established publishers have probably approached them already so the question would be can LRG offer a better deal and actually deliver on it.

#16320 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   6554 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:13 PM

Oh that's right, Pyre!  Everything from Supergiant Games would make excellent LRG releases:  Bastion, Transistor, and Pyre.  

All three of those are much more marquee IMO than what LRG typically publishes and while I'd love to see them as well I have to imagine established publishers have probably approached them already so the question would be can LRG offer a better deal and actually deliver on it.

You're right, it probably won't be easy.  But things have fallen off the mark lately and this is where they should be aiming.  I think people would happily pay a premium for better games too.