* * * - - 28 votes

Limited Run Games Thread - Broken Age [Switch] & 8-Bit Adventure Anthology [PS4] on 10/12!

limited run games omg so rare ps4 vita

#20581 Tothoro  

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:51 AM

Night Trap Vita trophies popped up recently: https://psnprofiles....versary-edition

I remember the developer saying the version existed, makes me think an LRG release may be in the pipleines.

#20582 Destro14  

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:15 AM

I have 2 quests regarding the Tribute Treasure boxes. Has anyone had problems redeeming My Nintendo reward points for Flinthook?  I was successful redeeming them for Mercenary Kings. 

Both Flinthook and Slime san will not redeem for me

#20583 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2305 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:50 PM

Layers of Fear (PS4) is down to 46%... or 1143 copies.  32 Sold in 24hours.  Approximately 28.6% of the 4000 print run are currently unsold not counting the games being held for retail, trade shows, promos, and replacements.

Layers of Fear (PS4) is at 46%... or 1128 copies.  15 Sold in 24hours.  I figure it'll be the same tomorrow but with friday's release they will have a bunch of them sell much like Senran Kagura.

#20584 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   197 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:12 PM

I just got an update from the Mages of Mystralia ps4 kickstarter the game is coming out October 19th on LRG site 

#20585 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   197 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:25 PM

Layers of Fear (PS4) is at 46%... or 1128 copies.  15 Sold in 24hours.  I figure it'll be the same tomorrow but with friday's release they will have a bunch of them sell much like Senran Kagura.

lol there is 9 copies left of Narcosis 

#20586 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2305 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:09 PM

Layers of Fear (PS4) is at 45%... or 1112 copies.  16 Sold in the last 24hours.  It's tracking as expected.  Tomorrow it'll be interesting seeing what the number is that morning before the sale and after the first hour of the sale.   I may follow it just to see.  This market is kind of interesting as it's own minigame.

lol there is 9 copies left of Narcosis 

6 copies of Narcosis left as of this moment.   Unless it gets buried in tomorrows sale, I think it'll sell out.  I'm actually pretty amazed LRG didn't just pull the copies so they could claim it sold out.  Kudos to them.

#20587 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2589 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:37 PM

I am a little surprised by how long Layers of Fear for the PS4 is hanging around. I opted for the PS4 copy for my order, and didn't bother with the Switch release. While I can certainly recognize the appeal of the Switch version, the style of game fits better for the PS4 for me. Atmosphere is everything in a horror game. So having a version that runs smoother with more rendering power, and especially with a capable surround-sound system connected is what I am looking for. While the Switch version offers portability, I prefer not to take my horror experiences on the go.

Its just a matter of personal preference though.

#20588 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4623 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:37 PM

I am a little surprised by how long Layers of Fear for the PS4 is hanging around. I opted for the PS4 copy for my order, and didn't bother with the Switch release. While I can certainly recognize the appeal of the Switch version, the style of game fits better for the PS4 for me. Atmosphere is everything in a horror game. So having a version that runs smoother with more rendering power, and especially with a capable surround-sound system connected is what I am looking for. While the Switch version offers portability, I prefer not to take my horror experiences on the go.

Its just a matter of personal preference though.

I agree. There are some types of games that have some pretty big pros/cons for handheld vs proper home theater setup. My 65 inch TV and 5.2.2 surround sound setup is going to give me a much, much more immersive horror experience than the Switch can in portable mode. And if I just want that more immersive experience, then there's no reason to choose the Switch in docked mode with inferior graphics and frame rate.

#20589 flybrione   Guitar Solo CAGiversary!   3239 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:16 PM

Yes! I finally received confirmation of Super Hydorah Vita shipping. I ordered the standard edition.

Now I just need Cosmic Star Heroine.

#20590 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6576 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:04 AM

So now we're getting NES games on PS4, I didn't see this coming. LOL https://limitedrunga..._eid=858e51038e

This is kind of cool I guess, but the NES versions of these games are about the weakest options, but also maybe the easiest to make happen on PS4. I do love all 3 games, just not the NES versions, as those are good if your only option, but nothing great that's for sure.

#20591 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11304 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:48 AM

not even a platinum. smh

#20592 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   11570 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:04 AM

The Mega Bundle today actually makes sense for once.  You only get one copy of each game, plus it appears you get some bonus cards with the bundle, including a guaranteed gold one.  I was definitely going to be picking up both games today, so I might as well go for the bundle.

#20593 SPORK94  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:11 AM

I got my tribute box and UPS "loved" my box too much :-( I haven't had to do a replacement since oddworld abe's odysee. Shipping is going to be expensive.

#20594 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   11570 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:21 AM

I got my tribute box and UPS "loved" my box too much :-( I haven't had to do a replacement since oddworld abe's odysee. Shipping is going to be expensive.

I also got my copy a couple days ago and luckily it arrived unscathed.  It's a nice package overall, though was a little surprised how big the box was. 

One thing I don't get is why Nintendo is forcing LRG to add Switch branding to their CE boxes while companies like NISA can just slap a "For Hybrid Console" sticker on their Switch CE boxes and be done with it.  Is Nintendo unfairly targeting LRG with this requirement?

#20595 TuscaloosaJohnny  

TuscaloosaJohnny

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:57 AM

So now we're getting NES games on PS4, I didn't see this coming. LOL https://limitedrunga..._eid=858e51038e

This is kind of cool I guess, but the NES versions of these games are about the weakest options, but also maybe the easiest to make happen on PS4. I do love all 3 games, just not the NES versions, as those are good if your only option, but nothing great that's for sure.

Yeah, I was SO excited when this showed up on Xbox Store last year as I played the heck out of Shadowgate on NES and never finished Uninvited. Out of curiosity, why did you dislike the NES versions? Too slow without a mouse?

#20596 Edzo04   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   422 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:32 PM

I also got my copy a couple days ago and luckily it arrived unscathed. It's a nice package overall, though was a little surprised how big the box was.

One thing I don't get is why Nintendo is forcing LRG to add Switch branding to their CE boxes while companies like NISA can just slap a "For Hybrid Console" sticker on their Switch CE boxes and be done with it. Is Nintendo unfairly targeting LRG with this requirement?

I thought that statement was odd as well. Got the Disgaea 1 CE the other day and NIS is still using those stickers so I don't know why LRG had to put the branding

#20597 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2305 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:25 PM

Layers of Fear (PS4) is at 45%... or 1112 copies.  16 Sold in the last 24hours.  It's tracking as expected.  Tomorrow it'll be interesting seeing what the number is that morning before the sale and after the first hour of the sale.   I may follow it just to see.  This market is kind of interesting as it's own minigame.

6 copies of Narcosis left as of this moment.   Unless it gets buried in tomorrows sale, I think it'll sell out.  I'm actually pretty amazed LRG didn't just pull the copies so they could claim it sold out.  Kudos to them.

Layers of Fear (PS4) is at 37%... or 1093 copies.   That's fishy since yesterday it was 45% with 1112 copies.  19 copies shouldn't be worth 8% when 16copies only dropped it 1% the day before.  As a whole run, it's 27.325% remaining.  Clearly behind the scenes something manipulated the total original copies for the batch which makes it appear it's selling faster than it is.  Doing some simple math, it appears the original amount listed was nearly 2500 (2471 rounded up) copies... the new amount listed makes it appear there were 3000 (2954 rounded up) copies in the batch.  Like I said, it's fishy.

Narcosis sold out those last 6 copies.  For such a small run, 2800 copies, it shows just now fickle this market can be.

I'm kind of surprised at 8-Bit Adventure Anthology.  First, surprising since a remaster of Shadowgate for the Switch is supposed to release this fall (announced a week or two ago).   Second, this was just out of left field.  I really dislike the way they drop announcements like this a day  before a release.   Even though I don't mind the NES versions at all, I think if I really wanted to play these versions I'd probably just do through other means (leaning towards the NES Classic with that sweet original nes pad).

I thought that statement was odd as well. Got the Disgaea 1 CE the other day and NIS is still using those stickers so I don't know why LRG had to put the branding

I think it's plausible that it's not enforced on NISA because the CE's they sell are only sold direct to the customers by mail where as LRG's games have retail distribution.  Granted it might be limited distribution but the moment you put a game in stores the rules change.  That's what lead to the whole deal with the ESRB.  They were selling in retail locations and got caught.

#20598 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   11570 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:02 PM

Got the Mega Bundle for today - looks like it is going fast.

#20599 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   197 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:04 PM

Mega Bundle sold out in 2 min

#20600 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6576 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:08 PM

Yeah, I was SO excited when this showed up on Xbox Store last year as I played the heck out of Shadowgate on NES and never finished Uninvited. Out of curiosity, why did you dislike the NES versions? Too slow without a mouse?

Well, no real "dislike", just said the NES versions are the weakest options, and that's mostly due to no mouse support(there are also better graphic options other places as well). As I stated, I didn't love them, but if someones only option, they are more than enjoyable. If I had played these originally, they would probably be on my top NES games list, as they are all good point & click games, which I'm a fan of.

My first romp with these was on the Amiga, and I didn't even find out about the NES versions until much later than that. All versions across all platforms have pluses and minuses, but these games are P&C, and without a mouse, there really is no point & click so to speak. So that's why I personally prefer other versions.

#20601 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2305 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:08 PM

An hour in....

Layers of Fear is at 1003 copies while claiming 35% remain.   So 90 copies sold.  Not a huge number but that's more than 4x what they sold in the previous 24hours.  It'll be interesting to see where things are on Monday morning.

8-Bit Adventures is at 270 copies claiming 14% remain.  So basic math (270/0.14), 1929 copies were  available for the first batch of the 3000 print run.  That is an odd number so doing some more math... 270/2000 would equal 13.5%... which rounds up to 14%... so I'd lean towards the original allotment being 2000.

#20602 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   434 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:35 PM

My first romp with these was on the Amiga, and I didn't even find out about the NES versions until much later than that. All versions across all platforms have pluses and minuses, but these games are P&C, and without a mouse, there really is no point & click so to speak. So that's why I personally prefer other versions.

There's the PS4 touchpad, though.  It's kind of close, although probably way more sensitive than the mouse which could be a pain when it seems like this game could require you to be pixel perfect at times.   I wonder if they have any touch pad sensitivity option.

#20603 looserattledgamer  

looserattledgamer

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:50 PM

An hour in....

Layers of Fear is at 1003 copies while claiming 35% remain.   So 90 copies sold.  Not a huge number but that's more than 4x what they sold in the previous 24hours.  It'll be interesting to see where things are on Monday morning.

8-Bit Adventures is at 270 copies claiming 14% remain.  So basic math (270/0.14), 1929 copies were  available for the first batch of the 3000 print run.  That is an odd number so doing some more math... 270/2000 would equal 13.5%... which rounds up to 14%... so I'd lean towards the original allotment being 2000.

They don’t number their games. There is no numbers on the back of their releases like the other limited companies. so these numbers don’t really mean anything. I’m sure they print way more than they say that the do.

#20604 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6576 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:18 PM

There's the PS4 touchpad, though.  It's kind of close, although probably way more sensitive than the mouse which could be a pain when it seems like this game could require you to be pixel perfect at times.   I wonder if they have any touch pad sensitivity option.

Well, releasing 20+ year old games on the PS4, I would hope they take advantage of the touch pad, but as stated, no telling how well that may work(or not). 

#20605 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   434 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:33 PM

Well, releasing 20+ year old games on the PS4, I would hope they take advantage of the touch pad, but as stated, no telling how well that may work(or not). 

Oh, they definitely allow the PS4 touchpad to be used.  I did see one review where the reviewer mentioned it was pretty sensitive.

#20606 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2305 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:41 PM

Only 7 left from the morning batch of 8-bit Adventures.

They don’t number their games. There is no numbers on the back of their releases like the other limited companies. so these numbers don’t really mean anything. I’m sure they print way more than they say that the do.

While it's true they don't number individual copies, they have made it very clear in the past that they only produce the number that they advertise and that number includes all the replacement copies, trade show copies and those sent to retailers.  I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that what they are saying is true.   After 180+ individual released games (plus the LE's) they've done so far, there's no evidence that suggests they are lying about production numbers.   As it stands it looks like the evening batch should be at most the remaining 1000 copies of the game as well as any sales that had to be cancelled from the morning batch.   If they haven't allotted for replacements, retail and trade show copies then the number will be lower.

Ultimately I'm tracking the numbers out of curiosity.  It's just something to do and it'll be interesting to see what the evening batch ends up being as well as how quickly it sells out and if it affects Layers of Fear dying in sales.   So far Layers of Fear hasn't had the boost that Senran Kagura got with it's massive amount of leftovers from the launch weekend.

#20607 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2589 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:52 PM

Oh, they definitely allow the PS4 touchpad to be used.

Sweet. Now I feel even better about picking up a copy. "Adventure Game" is an easy way to get me in the door. "8-bit" makes things a little more difficult. While there were a few decent adventure games on the NES (several of which are in this collection) it was definitely not a genre that the console was known for. And D-Pad controls were part of that. Being able to use the PS4's touchpad would go a long way to making these games more playable.

It is entirely possible to make a capable Adventure game with a console-centric control scheme. Just look at titles like Snatcher. But you do have to build your game for that control scheme from the ground up. Attempting to fuse a d-pad with a game that was originally designed for a mouse has much more flawed results.

Also, this 8-Bit Adventure Anthology reminds me of something. Am I the only one who misses original cover art? The iconic art-work from these game's covers is so much better than most of the cover design you see today.

#20608 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   434 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:38 PM

Being able to use the PS4's touchpad would go a long way to making these games more playable.

Also, this 8-Bit Adventure Anthology reminds me of something. Am I the only one who misses original cover art? The iconic art-work from these game's covers is so much better than most of the cover design you see today.

I had seen the touchpad usage in a youtube review.  The reviewer did mention something about the sensitivity, but I still bet it would be better than the sticks/d-pad.  

And I agree about the art-work - as someone who is a sucker for these physical releases, the art work is going a long way on selling me on buying something that I have a slim chance of playing.  Look at that artwork which is in stark contrast to, say, the uninspired and lazy cover art for Sony's huge Spider-Man game.  Not that there still isn't decent artwork out there for modern releases....

#20609 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   803 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:33 PM

Do I just buy 2 copies of golf story or bundle 1 copy with something else? Layers of fear doesn't really interest me, same with the NES collection as I've never played any of them before, and already have broken age on vita.

#20610 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2305 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:52 PM

Ok this is suspicious. Currently it shows 381 left with 20%. So 381/0.20=1905 copies available. This is not possible since they had 2000 in the am batch. It appears if they really are only doing a 3000 run then they are padding the number to make it look like it's selling faster. As in "oh no only 20% left, I better buy now!" ... as the real number was around 1000 copies or possibly even just 900 (since some were pulled for the bundles)... and 381/900 would just be 42%. In any case... it looks like it'll sell out, but I really hope they aren't purposefully manipulating the site to make it look like it's selling faster than reality. It's entirely possible the 3000 on the listing was a typo and it should have been 4000. LRG is known for typos.