* * * - - 28 votes

Limited Run Games Thread - Broken Age [Switch] & 8-Bit Adventure Anthology [PS4] on 10/12!

limited run games omg so rare ps4 vita

#20731 spoonTRex   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   64 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

spoonTRex

Posted Today, 03:22 PM

You can find the player by itself for cheap, but it's worthless without the boot up disc. The disc is the pricey piece.

Mostly true, but there is a 3rd party software out there that's supposedly better. (Game Boy Interface)

#20732 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2305 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 04:12 PM

Source:

https://twitter.com/...423329262292992

(Note: He posted this May 15th, with health issues and work it didn't feel that long ago....but it's been out there for five months)

If overlooked in May, then people need to start watching his twitter feed closer.  That's not me being critical, just saying there might be other things people have missed.

I appreciate you posting the source, major props for that.

Looking at the tweet, what you've shown is how obscure this information actually was.

The picture is of the three NES games in front of shelves with other games and collectibles with no descriptive textual content.  These guys are collectors and have shown how into collecting they are, so what it says to me is possibly they added some games to the massive collection in the office (partially shown in the picture, but featured in the office tour posted on youtube).

The tweet remained active for less than 24hours where only 17 people even commented.   Speculation five months ago for less than a day with no specific confirmation it was the PS4 version or that it would be coming out in October is not enough to predict that this game was going to pop up last week.  It was odd that DoubeDam21 posted about it Tuesday (not sure where his info came from, but it was better than social media and a thumbs up to him for sharing), considering LRG themselves didn't tweet about it until Thursday (the day before launch).

In my book if there's no advertising for the launch until the day (or even week) before something comes out then it's a stealth release.  Maybe that's not an agreeable definition of the term, but a total lack of information seems pretty stealth to me.

#20733 jedex   Elite Chemist CAGiversary!   819 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 05:00 PM

I appreciate you posting the source, major props for that.

Looking at the tweet, what you've shown is how obscure this information actually was.

The picture is of the three NES games in front of shelves with other games and collectibles with no descriptive textual content. These guys are collectors and have shown how into collecting they are, so what it says to me is possibly they added some games to the massive collection in the office (partially shown in the picture, but featured in the office tour posted on youtube).

The tweet remained active for less than 24hours where only 17 people even commented. Speculation five months ago for less than a day with no specific confirmation it was the PS4 version or that it would be coming out in October is not enough to predict that this game was going to pop up last week. It was odd that DoubeDam21 posted about it Tuesday (not sure where his info came from, but it was better than social media and a thumbs up to him for sharing), considering LRG themselves didn't tweet about it until Thursday (the day before launch).

In my book if there's no advertising for the launch until the day (or even week) before something comes out then it's a stealth release. Maybe that's not an agreeable definition of the term, but a total lack of information seems pretty stealth to me.

Saving so much money now that I could less about LRG and a complete collection.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#20734 spoonTRex   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   64 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

spoonTRex

Posted Today, 05:24 PM

The CARBY from Insurrection Industries is probably the best and cheapest ($75 shipped with HDMI cable and remote) solution currently for HDMI on the GC. It's also the only solution using a reproduction metal connector. I got mine a few weeks ago and it is awesome and the connector looks exactly like the original Nintendo connector.

Thanks for this, BTW. My friend tried out the HDMy adapter which also had the remote and cable included, but I've now purchased a CARBY to try out, so thanks!

#20735 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11304 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 05:45 PM

I couldnt maintain a complete Vita collection when we got a rush of lackluster games and mobile ports that didnt have a platinum either

#20736 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2589 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted Today, 06:13 PM

EVERY platform gets its fair share of stinkers. Every platform gets some measure of shovelware. The Vita is no different. It avoided some amount of western-developed shovelware thanks to a sharp drop off in western support. But it has definitely gotten a number of lackluster titles from the indie runnoff, the dregs of the Japanese industry, and the odd mobile game.

Personally, I don't understand the desire for a complete platform run. That's a level of obsessive/compulsive that I'm not willing to dapple in. Going for a complete run means that you will have to stockpile a large number of bad games. I'd much rather focus on getting the best games for each system. I've held off on several LRG titles because I felt they were not up to snuff.

Of course, I also think I'm one of the less harsh critics here. Some of the people who roll up in this forum seem to think that anything that isn't a widely-known title is garbage. I go to the trouble of doing a little research when I'm deciding whether or not a game is worthwhile. A game is not bad just because it was originally a mobile game. A game is not bad if it hasn't gotten much publicity, and isn't as well known. And a game isn't bad just because it is clearly of Japanese origin. You have to dig up some information, read some reviews, and then make an informed decision, not a knee-jerk reaction.