* * * - - 40 votes

Limited Run Games Thread - Global Outbreak of...Delayed Shipping

limited run games omg so rare ps4 vita

#29101 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2764 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:06 PM

Was searching to see if Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 was getting a physical release when I stumbled upon this from July: https://limitedrunga.../news/lrg3-2020

What else was announced six months ago but has yet to see a preorder?

Bored at work so went through the 33 items from the list and found that over a third of them are still awaiting a preorder window! Red means no preorder window while green means has had preorder window.

1. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 (Switch, PS4) — TBD
  2. Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling (Switch, PS4) — TBD
  3. Carrion (Switch) — TBD*
  4. Castlevania Anniversary Collection (Switch, PS4) — Q3 2020
  5. Demon Turf (Switch) — TBD
  6. Garou: Mark of the Wolves (PS4) — July 2020
  7. Grandia HD Collection (Switch) — August 7, 2020
  8. GRIS (Switch) — TBD*
  9. Katana Zero (Switch) — November 2020
  10. Kunai (Switch) — July 8, 2020*
  11. MegaDimension Neptunia VII (Switch) — July 28, 2020*
  12. Mighty Gunvolt Burst (Switch, PS4) — August 28, 2020
  13. My Friend Pedro (PS4) — TBD*
  14. Observer (Switch) — TBD*
  15. Papers, Please (Vita) — July 24, 2020
  16. PixelJunk Eden 2 (Switch) — TBD
  17. Return of the Obra Dinn (Switch, PS4) — July 24, 2020
  18. More River City Girls — Details TBD
  19. Samurai Jack: Battle Through Time (Switch, PS4) — TBD
  20. Shantae (Switch, GameBoy Color) — September 2020
  21. Shantae: Risky's Revenge (Switch) — September 2020
  22. Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash! (PSVR) — July 31, 2020
  23. Star Wars Episode I: Racer (Switch, PS4, PC) — July 10, 2020
  24. Super Meat Boy Forever (Switch, PS4) — TBD
  25. The friends of Ringo Ishikawa (Switch) — July 21, 2020*
  26. The Mummy Demastered (Switch, PS4) — July 31, 2020
  27. The Secret of Monkey Island 30th Anniversary Anthology (PC) — October 2020
  28. To The Moon (Switch) — Q4 2020
  29. TowerFall Ascension (Switch) — Q3 2020
  30. Trover Saves the Universe (Switch) — Q4 2020
  31. Where the Water Tastes Like Wine (Switch) — TBD*
  32. Xtreme Sports (Switch, GameBoy Color) — October 2020
  33. Ys Origin (Switch) — July 8, 2020*

#29102 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3171 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:28 PM

Just got a delayed shipping notice from BBY for Shantae (PS4). Presume it'll come eventually. Delay or no delay, I still prefer ordering from BBY if it's an option.

#29103 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6591 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2021 - 05:18 PM

Just got a delayed shipping notice from BBY for Shantae (PS4). Presume it'll come eventually. Delay or no delay, I still prefer ordering from BBY if it's an option.

Mine is out for delivery.  I wonder if it was just a specific store or distro facility issue?

#29104 super1upqueen   Shinobi Student CAG Veteran   171 Posts   Joined 0.7 Years Ago  

super1upqueen

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:40 PM

Oh thank Christ, my Ys Origin CE has finally shipped. Of course, it's UPS Mail Innovations, the worst shipping service out there. People should never have to pay for that shitshow. You know LRG is getting deals on shipping fees and they have the gall to charge for Mail Innovations...

#29105 hagz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   126 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:50 PM

Mine just got delivered today.  In my experience, when I get a delayed shipping notice from them, I usually get a shipping confirmation from them later that day.

#29106 hagz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   126 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:55 PM

is there any possibility of the original Shantae game coming to the PS4, either physical or just digitally?  Kind of annoying that if that's the only game in the series that isn't on the PS4.  Game Boy games have come to PS4 XBONE like in Contra and Castlevania Anniversary Collections.

Is there a release date for the original one to be release on the Switch's eShop too?

#29107 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3171 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:06 PM

Mine just got delivered today.  In my experience, when I get a delayed shipping notice from them, I usually get a shipping confirmation from them later that day.

Yeah, that is usually the case for me, too.  Haven't seen anything further yet, though.  BBY is usually good about this so presume I'll have it some time this week.  

#29108 marineal   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1617 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

marineal

Posted 20 January 2021 - 12:27 AM

Me too and i put an order the day it went live. can't change to store pick up either. dammit

#29109 Tothoro  

Posted 20 January 2021 - 12:53 AM

is there any possibility of the original Shantae game coming to the PS4, either physical or just digitally?  Kind of annoying that if that's the only game in the series that isn't on the PS4.  Game Boy games have come to PS4 XBONE like in Contra and Castlevania Anniversary Collections.

Is there a release date for the original one to be release on the Switch's eShop too?

Nintendo's done a lot of timed exclusivity stuff recently with higher profile non-AAA games - Panzer Dragoon, Brigandine, Meat Boy Forever, etc. Typically for around six months. The only Switch-exclusive Wayforward games have been Vitamin Collection (which is heavily based around the Switch's control scheme) and Bakugan, which was also released <6 months ago.

LRG caught some flak for rereleasing Panzer Dragoon on PS4 after Switch, so I have no clue if they'll do that again (I feel like if they think they can squeeze more money out of it they will).

Ultimately I have no proof or guarantee one way or another, but I would wager it's likely to get at least a digital release. I'm waiting personally, as PS4 is my preferred platform and i don't care about the original Shantae enough to be upset if I miss out.

#29110 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3171 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 20 January 2021 - 02:51 AM

Would consider getting Panzer Dragoon on PS4 from BBY if it shows up there.

Debating whether to get Scott Pilgrim PS4 via LRG or to wait on BBY. At least I have six weeks to think about it.

#29111 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   13304 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2021 - 05:41 AM

Well the Scott Pilgrim sales numbers have started to come in (source: LRG cofounder Douglas Bogart's Twitter) and they are a bit staggering.  For last weekend alone they sold over 45K Switch copies and 15K PS4 copies (and preorders are still open for almost 6 more weeks). 

Even more staggering is the cash flow LRG is getting from this sale. LRG has gone on record stating that each developer they work with will get paid the full amount of the digital version of the game, and LRG will keep what is left for making the game, operations, and profit.  Well, for Scott Pilgrim LRG charged a full $20 over the digital version (digital $14.99, physical was $34.99).  That makes it a cool $1.2 million in their pockets after the developer gets paid.  And that's assuming every version of the game sold was the cheapest standard edition (with the smallest profit margin).  The profit margin on the CE is likely much more than $20 for each unit sold.  And that's also not even counting the other high profit merchandise (shirts, pins, etc) that was sold. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they bank over $5 million from this game when the preorder period is over.  It would probably be wise to use a little of that money to hire some temp staff in the shipping department for when that game ships as it will frankly be much more than their current staff can handle.  Yeah, they are not so much that little game company anymore.

#29112 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1300 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:28 AM

The full cost of the digital might seem low, but if they sold a digital copy, they would only get 70%. LRG is probably making </=$10 per title.

#29113 shosaisyu   Waster of Monies CAGiversary!   235 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

shosaisyu

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:54 AM

I hate that LRG got ahold of this. Just when they'd shipped me 1 of my 2 last games I have another one.

See you in 2023, Scott Pilgrim, I can't wait to play you for the first time.

#29114 srocky26  

Posted 20 January 2021 - 03:15 PM

Well the Scott Pilgrim sales numbers have started to come in (source: LRG cofounder Douglas Bogart's Twitter) and they are a bit staggering. For last weekend alone they sold over 45K Switch copies and 15K PS4 copies (and preorders are still open for almost 6 more weeks).

Even more staggering is the cash flow LRG is getting from this sale. LRG has gone on record stating that each developer they work with will get paid the full amount of the digital version of the game, and LRG will keep what is left for making the game, operations, and profit. Well, for Scott Pilgrim LRG charged a full $20 over the digital version (digital $14.99, physical was $34.99). That makes it a cool $1.2 million in their pockets after the developer gets paid. And that's assuming every version of the game sold was the cheapest standard edition (with the smallest profit margin). The profit margin on the CE is likely much more than $20 for each unit sold. And that's also not even counting the other high profit merchandise (shirts, pins, etc) that was sold.

I wouldn't be surprised if they bank over $5 million from this game when the preorder period is over. It would probably be wise to use a little of that money to hire some temp staff in the shipping department for when that game ships as it will frankly be much more than their current staff can handle. Yeah, they are not so much that little game company anymore.

Are you also accounting for the effort put in to make the deal, create the box art, marketing, actually producing the physical game, support staff to answer “when will it ship” tickets, etc?

#29115 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   1402 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2021 - 03:31 PM

I hate that LRG got ahold of this. Just when they'd shipped me 1 of my 2 last games I have another one.

See you in 2023, Scott Pilgrim, I can't wait to play you for the first time.

You can literally buy the digital version to play? I don't understand this the rationale behind I'm buying this to play for the first time mentality.

Buying the digital version so you know what you are getting into before committing the money towards the physical version is probably the better way to go about this. 

Most people buying this are nostalgic from the original release; if it's your first time, folks have already voiced that the gameplay is done better in newer, better releases like SOR4.

#29116 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2896 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 20 January 2021 - 03:35 PM

Are you also accounting for the effort put in to make the deal, create the box art, marketing, actually producing the physical game, support staff to answer “when will it ship” tickets, etc?

Don't forget the inherent overhead of having a physical office space, and warehouse facilities for storing physical stock. Salaries for office staff, legal expenses, insurance, and the overrun from larger-than-needed print runs. Businesses have way more expenses than most people realize.

This isn't to say that they aren't doing well for themselves. But I also don't think they are rolling in profits the way some people seem to think. Physical products inherently have lower margins, and I'm willing to bet that many of the recent games they've sold don't do nearly as well as Scott Pilgrim has. Not everything can be a hit, and one of the consequences of larger output is a drop in novelty.

#29117 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   13304 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:50 PM

Yes, that is why I stated: "and LRG will keep what is left for making the game, operations, and profit."

#29118 Honokie  

Posted 22 January 2021 - 12:05 AM

LRG is a great company and I'm not sure why there is so much hostility towards them here. We would have never gotten physical copies of these games otherwise. A few games were somewhat late, but so what? Most people keep the games sealed and don't play them so it doesn't matter. I had one problem, opened a ticket and they resolved it the next day. Panzer Dragoon coming to PS4 is literally not their fault, if you know anything about the history of gaming there have always been timed exclusives with better versions on other platforms later. For now I give them a 9/10.

#29119 Equippt  

Posted 22 January 2021 - 01:37 AM

LRG is a great company and I'm not sure why there is so much hostility towards them here. We would have never gotten physical copies of these games otherwise. A few games were somewhat late, but so what? Most people keep the games sealed and don't play them so it doesn't matter. I had one problem, opened a ticket and they resolved it the next day. Panzer Dragoon coming to PS4 is literally not their fault, if you know anything about the history of gaming there have always been timed exclusives with better versions on other platforms later. For now I give them a 9/10.

Believe it or not, this is pretty much how we all started. I hope you keep that enthusiasm. For me, buying from LRG just became unfun. They still occasionally put out stuff I want, but even then their massive shipping backlog means there's no telling when I'll actually get what I ordered. Plus I'm not interested in rereleases of games that often have millions of physical copies out there already so I'm not really their target demographic anymore.

I still hang around because when they do put out something I want, it usually means they're my only option to get it. That's probably why there's so much negativity: LRG ends up with a lot of exclusive games so even the people who don't like them keep following them because there's no alternative.

#29120 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10321 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 January 2021 - 01:54 AM

I find it kind of sad that these will likely not be opened. I feel games are meant to be played. I have many unopened myself and honestly am trying to sell them off or play them usually when the digital is able to purchased cheaply in a sale or something. Most of the time by the time you get your physical copies months and months later you no longer really care as much since the hype is down. The hype is high for Scott Pilgrim for example, but what about in like 10 months or whenever they release it? That's my main drawback, plus many games just don't need physical copies and aren't worth preserving that way IMHO. I will get Scott Pilgrim maybe on release at BB, but by then I probably wont care anymore. It's the same for Kickstarters for me. A lot of the times when the years go by and we finally get a product, it could be out of date, or not as cool by then. There are exceptions obviously.

#29121 shosaisyu   Waster of Monies CAGiversary!   235 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

shosaisyu

Posted 22 January 2021 - 03:26 AM

You can literally buy the digital version to play? I don't understand this the rationale behind I'm buying this to play for the first time mentality.

Buying the digital version so you know what you are getting into before committing the money towards the physical version is probably the better way to go about this. 

Most people buying this are nostalgic from the original release; if it's your first time, folks have already voiced that the gameplay is done better in newer, better releases like SOR4.

I don't buy digital video games.

For the people who don't keep the games sealed , the company's communication methods are awful. You can only order from them with the expectation of "you'll get it someday" with no vague window ever sticking, and just becoming another vague window. Any time anything is fubared, order-wise, they've failed me personally ( SOR4 late? Here, have a steam code. Don't want to play on steam? Too bad, steam codes are cheap and we don't want to spend money to give you a code on the platform you ordered. ) Elimination of rewards program with no replacement of any incentives. ( is the bottom line really that small? )

Early -on they used to churn out consistent darling games, but now it's like..anything has a pulse gets a run. Not that i'm saying it's bad, because it'll probably hit some niche game I want because of this, but now I have to deal with tens of LRG emails hoping to find a release I recognize.

#29122 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   1107 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 January 2021 - 03:39 PM

All good points above me, and I'm going to add one more: I buy games to play.

The only reason I have sealed games is because I haven't gotten around to playing them yet (or I got a code for my platform of choice at the same time). So more often than not, I want to play something when I order it, unless I know it's a preorder with a firm release date. And it's not unreasonable to expect a reasonable shipping time. The vast majority of LRG releases are already available to the public digitally, which makes the wait even worse for someone like me that always prefers physical over digital.

Early on, the good stuff about LRG overshadowed the bad. But then the bad kept growing, and the good was curtailed, mostly by LRG themselves. They've worked themselves into a corner, but they didn't have to. They grew too big, too quickly, and not having proper business experience (something they admit to), they didn't know how to properly manage that growth.

Honestly, I'm amazed they're still in business, but when they keep getting (so far) exclusives like 'Scott Pilgrim,' they'll stay in business. If there was a release of 'Scott Pilgrim' (I'm using this game as the most recent example) anywhere other than LRG, even another "limited" company not traditional retail, you bet your ass people would be skipping over LRG, because who knows when they'll receive their game.

#29123 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3429 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 January 2021 - 04:50 PM

but now I have to deal with tens of LRG emails hoping to find a release I recognize.

This thread is enough to keep up with the LRG releases.  I unsubbed from the emails years ago and am still very well informed.