* * * - - 30 votes

Limited Run Games Thread - The Switch is on!

limited run games omg so rare ps4 vita

#19441 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3446 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:18 PM

Wait.. what? 

https://www.polygon....za-ps4-remaster

#19442 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7613 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:37 PM

I will not allow Sega to pat themselves on the back until 3, 4, 5 are confirmed for the west, and more importantly, confirmed to be getting physical disc releases.  I could totally see them backtracking and going digital-only for some  if not all of 3-5.  Especially if say sales were poor for either Kiwami 2 or Yakuza 3. 

#19443 Pheria   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1206 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:19 PM

My PS3 picks would be:

Eiyuu Senki: The World Conquest

Girl Fight

Legasista

Bloodrayne Betrayal

I think the first Agarest War game is only digital on PS3 in NA, too right? But with it already being physical on 360 it's less enticing.

#19444 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2379 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:27 PM

Another PS3 game that has gone up in value is Yakuza 3.  But for the most part the market is pretty weak for the PS3.  Even some of the better RPG's are still pretty cheap.

As far as what to release?  I completed my PS3 collection more than a year ago.  Since then I picked up the Chronicles of Riddick (has both games on the disc)... and that's about it.  The only thing I haven't picked up is Way of the Samurai 4, which has a EU release in physical form.  Still, it's typically $30 for a new copy shipped in the USA.  Still, if they did the NA version on disc... for the same price... I'd probably seriously consider that... though I really need to play some of Way of the Samurai 3 to be 100% sure the series is for me.

Aren't both the PS3 & PS4 using the same disc(blu-ray)? I figured so long as Sony is producing PS4 titles, they can continue to offer PS3 ones as well. But I could be wrong in regards to the disc being the same, as I don't have a PS4 so not to familiar with things in regards to that system.

Not all BR's are the same.  The base technoly is, but the disc encryption and the encoded barcodes and stuff are different.  Plus they have a nice PS3 logo burned into them. From what I read, the discs are manufactured with some of the encryption actually in the form of defects unique to the disc.   It's highly possible the discs are infact slightly different.  I looked at a few discs last night for both systems and you can kind of see the defect in certain light and all the actual obvious differences around the center ring on the bottom.  I'd imagine the blanks (even if they are unique) can be used on the same manufacturing platform as PS4 stuff.

The other thing beyond the discs are the BR disc boxes and box art.  The PS3 boxes are somewhat unique in the BR world.  The logo is pretty much inset and off to the top right corner of the front, the boxes are mostly clear for later released games, and the box art is cut down smaller than the PS4 boxes (and in line with BR movie art size).  So art would require different paper, or more likely a separate cutting process than the PS4 art.

In the end they would likely need the PS3 specific blanks with the encoding on them, the ps3 specific br boxes, and then they would need to retool for the art or print it separately.   I'd imagine the art is probably not that big a deal.  They probably print that outside of the facility where actual product assembly is done, but the supply of blank PS3 discs and boxes is where a hiccup could happen which would result in new stock having to be created.  IF Sony is sitting on a bunch of old stock though, then this may be a blessing to them.  My guess is, if they have any old stock it's likely not enough for a full retail release.

#19445 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7613 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:40 PM

TBQH, the PS3 was a shit system, with it's continuous online updates and installs.  If you didn't play it daily, every time you turned it on to play a game there would be some brand new 30minute install. It's no wonder the xbox 360 gained such traction during that cycle. :puke:

#19446 Equippt  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:27 PM

TBQH, the PS3 was a shit system, with it's continuous online updates and installs.  If you didn't play it daily, every time you turned it on to play a game there would be some brand new 30minute install. It's no wonder the xbox 360 gained such traction during that cycle. :puke:

Yes! Time for an old-school console war!

http://www.ign.com/a...rate-reaches-54

#19447 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22502 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:46 PM

Completely agree with you on that point but Sony pumped out some fantastic games for it. And even for third party games, which often ran worse, I ended up getting on PS3 bc I had issues with my 360s. By the time they released the S model, I pretty much fully moved on. 

#19448 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6721 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:59 PM

Yeah, I dodged the bullet on the RROD, as I had an extended warranty for my 360 at BB, and as soon as the slim came out, I traded in my 360 for the slim. BB warranty was another great thing that went the way of the DoDo, but it was awesome while it lasted.

For the reasons mentioned, is why I never touch my PS3 much, as the updates are beyond  Fuck ing insane. I have to plan a day ahead if I want to play, so that way I can do all the updates and charge the controller before hand. LOL I do agree it had some great games, many of which I still plan to play at some point. And does any one know if CFW can improve the PS3's issues? 

#19449 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   572 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:39 PM

Just got an email for a 10% discount on Night Trap Switch.

If you bought the PS4 version, keep a lookout for the email.

Really great idea to incentivize double dipping since a lot of people will be. Hopefully you can retroactively apply this to your order if you already placed it

#19450 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3446 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:45 PM

My first 360 RRODed while under warranty. My replacement RRODed out of warranty, so I bought a new one (back when the original model was the only model). But I upgraded to the slim as soon as it was released.

OG 360 build was crap, but damn the games were amazing.

#19451 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7613 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:45 PM

PS3 and 360 was the era of pc gaming. 

#19452 4tygames   Cover Guru CAGiversary!   1256 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:35 AM

Disc versions of After Burner Climax and Daytona USA on the PS3 would be awesome. I would also buy Eufloria if it got released too. That game was very chill, but addicting as well.

#19453 Thomas96   I am Thomaticus! CAGiversary!   6073 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Thomas96

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:41 AM

I'd like to see Outrun 2006 released as a Vita game.  Anything from Sega would be great releases.  

#19454 kevers7290   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   233 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

kevers7290

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:10 PM

Generally speaking, how responsive is LRG to support tickets? I'm trying to change my email on file and I've been waiting a couple of days now for a response. I just want to make sure I don't get any pre-orders squashed or get a ban by changing my email. Should I message them on twitter or social media?

#19455 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3022 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:47 PM

Another PS3 game that has gone up in value is Yakuza 3.  But for the most part the market is pretty weak for the PS3.  Even some of the better RPG's are still pretty cheap.

As far as what to release?  I completed my PS3 collection more than a year ago.  Since then I picked up the Chronicles of Riddick (has both games on the disc)... and that's about it.  The only thing I haven't picked up is Way of the Samurai 4, which has a EU release in physical form.  Still, it's typically $30 for a new copy shipped in the USA.  Still, if they did the NA version on disc... for the same price... I'd probably seriously consider that... though I really need to play some of Way of the Samurai 3 to be 100% sure the series is for me.

Not all BR's are the same.  The base technoly is, but the disc encryption and the encoded barcodes and stuff are different.  Plus they have a nice PS3 logo burned into them. From what I read, the discs are manufactured with some of the encryption actually in the form of defects unique to the disc.   It's highly possible the discs are infact slightly different.  I looked at a few discs last night for both systems and you can kind of see the defect in certain light and all the actual obvious differences around the center ring on the bottom.  I'd imagine the blanks (even if they are unique) can be used on the same manufacturing platform as PS4 stuff.

The other thing beyond the discs are the BR disc boxes and box art.  The PS3 boxes are somewhat unique in the BR world.  The logo is pretty much inset and off to the top right corner of the front, the boxes are mostly clear for later released games, and the box art is cut down smaller than the PS4 boxes (and in line with BR movie art size).  So art would require different paper, or more likely a separate cutting process than the PS4 art.

In the end they would likely need the PS3 specific blanks with the encoding on them, the ps3 specific br boxes, and then they would need to retool for the art or print it separately.   I'd imagine the art is probably not that big a deal.  They probably print that outside of the facility where actual product assembly is done, but the supply of blank PS3 discs and boxes is where a hiccup could happen which would result in new stock having to be created.  IF Sony is sitting on a bunch of old stock though, then this may be a blessing to them.  My guess is, if they have any old stock it's likely not enough for a full retail release.

Whoa I have a copy of Yakuza 3!  Why did it go up in value so much?

#19456 Stridix   IT"S OVER 9000!!! CAGiversary!   173 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:09 PM

Generally speaking, how responsive is LRG to support tickets? I'm trying to change my email on file and I've been waiting a couple of days now for a response. I just want to make sure I don't get any pre-orders squashed or get a ban by changing my email. Should I message them on twitter or social media?

I submitted a ticket on Friday morning 9AM.  Resolved on Tuesday at 4PM.

yeah it's gonna take some time.

#19457 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   11841 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:13 PM

For me personally, its been one day max before they got back to me.  I probably opened 3 tickets overall over the last 2 years though, so fairly small sample size.

#19458 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7613 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:34 PM

Observer is available for FREE on Twitch Prime right now.  You have until the 17th to claim it. 

#19459 315Retro   Westside Wizard CAGiversary!   1249 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:54 PM

Ace of Seafood came today. Unfortunately I won't be able to play it for a while but there it is.

#19460 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2379 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:02 PM

Just got an email for a 10% discount on Night Trap Switch.

If you bought the PS4 version, keep a lookout for the email.

Yeah, I got the same email.  It makes me wonder if maybe they aren't selling as many copies that they are trying to temp folks with a double-dipper-discount like this.  Whatever the case, not a game I really need to own another copy of and my intent with the PS4 version is to play it and then sell it on so it'll be more of a rental experience where maybe I just break even or it only costs me a few bucks for the experience.

Whoa I have a copy of Yakuza 3!  Why did it go up in value so much?

I think it's a simple case of supply and demand.  I think the original production run for North America may have been on the small side. So even with the reprint early last year, the game is still on the more rare side and fewer people are keen to sell it off.

#19461 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2143 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:16 PM

The coupon they sent me doesn't even work. :-k

#19462 DS9   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   417 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:17 AM

I'd like to see Outrun 2006 released as a Vita game.  Anything from Sega would be great releases.  

THIS 100000000x but wont happen evar.

#19463 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11581 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:18 PM

July 20th
Thumper PS4/Switch, Hue PS4/Vita

July 27th
Exile's End PS4/Vita, Everspace PS4

August 3rd
West of Loathing (NS)

August 10th
Phantom Breaker PS4/Vita, Rabi Ribi PS4/Vita

August 24th
Senran Kagura: BA Vita, Unknown PS4/Vita

September 7th
2 Unknown PS4 games, Salt and Sanctuary PS4/Vita

#19464 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3446 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:14 PM

September 7th

Salt and Sanctuary PS4/Vita

Finally!!!! Have they announced a CE?

#19465 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11581 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:19 PM

no

#19466 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8961 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:33 PM

Getting those last 3 Vita release in August. Could be my last Vita physical purchases honestly haha.

#19467 DoubleDam21  

DoubleDam21

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:32 PM

Don’t plan on it anytime soon considering they have a tendency to announce what the CE consist of the week of release.

#19468 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   572 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:09 PM

It will be a bag of salt. Bookmark this post.

#19469 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22502 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:10 AM

July 20th
Thumper PS4/Switch, Hue PS4/Vita

July 27th
Exile's End PS4/Vita, Everspace PS4

August 3rd
West of Loathing (NS)

August 10th
Phantom Breaker PS4/Vita, Rabi Ribi PS4/Vita

August 24th
Senran Kagura: BA Vita, Unknown PS4/Vita

September 7th
2 Unknown PS4 games, Salt and Sanctuary PS4/Vita

Calling it now: the world is gonna end on Sept 6 simply because the universe doesn't want me getting S&S. 

#19470 vic_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   2125 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:25 AM

Yay! August 10th will be awesome what a great combo.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: limited run games, omg so rare, ps4, vita