* * * - - 32 votes

Limited Run Games Thread - The Switch is on!

limited run games omg so rare ps4 vita

#21541 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14106 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:05 PM

I walked back to my desk at 8:58 (central), realized I had forgotten about Shantae, and logged in right then and there.

Checked out with PayPal, and got two copies.  

Was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

EDIT:  This is my second LRG order ever.  The first was Windjammers.

#21542 dualrec  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:06 PM

I just want the usb drive.

#21543 Gameboy415   16-bits of awesome CAGiversary!   3427 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:07 PM

FFS, the Shantae bundle went up over a minute early and sold out while I was waiting for Headlander to go live. Fantastic.

Is there going to be another batch available at 5PM??

#21544 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   12609 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:07 PM

Wow, the CEs for both Jak and Shantae sold out super fast.  I didn't get either as I didn't think either was worth the price (though granted I had under a minute to decide about Jak and Daxter and may end up changing my mind).  I guess it shows that the CEs for well known franchises sell out fast no matter the cost.

#21545 Vigilante   Hold On to That Hatred CAGiversary!   37190 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:08 PM

If LRG had the entire Jak & Daxter series on PS4 for $29.99-$39.99, that would have been tempting. But $24.99 just for the first game? Easy pass.

At least I was able to get the Shantae CE without much trouble.

#21546 NiiNJA   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   429 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:09 PM

As far as I understand it ND never patched the poor framerate and glitches from the PS4 PSN versions of J&D. Did they do so recently?

#21547 nickerous   3DS CAG CAGiversary!   435 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:11 PM

Third order for me. Steamworld Dig In Vita and Bastion on Vita were the other two. Managed to get Shantae and the other 4 cards. Don’t know why though. Already have the game. I’ve got to stop rebuying games.

#21548 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   565 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:11 PM

Yeah, this title is kind of big I guess, just still a HUGE disappointment in regards to the overall game, but it's not like I was hyped either way, since I don't normally buy PS4 games.

Yeah, this is not what I would've been expecting, especially since I didn't really think Sony would be handing over licenses to LRG (even though it seemed like LRG must have mentioned it for there to have been so many Sony guesses in this thread).

But, unfortunately, this whole "surprise" plan worked out perfectly for them in my case.  I was on the phone and totally forgot about this and got off my call right at 10:00AM EST.  Now, I do love Jak and Daxter, so I probably would've been all in no matter what, but I didn't even think about it.  I saw there was an art book and a soundtrack which are my main two requirements for a CE and pulled the trigger.   Then I went back and looked more closely at what I just ordered.  I really paid little attention to it since when I saw "Jak and Daxter" I didn't even consider that this wasn't the entire trilogy.   Good job, LRG.  You win.  I am sure this "book" CE packaging will be uniform across the series and I will make sure I have a complete and matching set.  $240+ for 3 PS2 games I already have physically for the PS3 in some nice packaging.  

#21549 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2775 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:12 PM

I just want the usb drive.

It looks cool but It's only 16gb (32gb go for about $5) and with that odd shape it'll prove impractical to actually use it.  You'd be better off just displaying an actual PS2 memory card.

#21550 phoenixlau   backlogged CAGiversary!   515 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:13 PM

I already own the PS3 Jak and Daxter HD Collection on disc which looks about the same graphically (in some ways better), so I passed on this.  Will definitely be in for Jak Racing though!

Also opens up some interesting possibilities for LRG in terms of potentially being able to snag other Sony published PS2 Classics on PS4 (Ape Escape 2, Wild Arms 3, etc.) or even PS4 digital titles like Resogun.

#21551 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4948 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:14 PM

Very interesting surprise. It's a terrible value, but still a very cool release, so I grabbed it. LRG rarely offer good value, and my protest of 1 will do little to nothing to change anything. I might as well get a cool release for my shelf (sounds like saying myself with a speech impediment) instead! 

#21552 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   565 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:15 PM

Details went up seconds before it was purchasable:

JD_TPL_MockUp_CE_PS4Corner_4500x2250_704

I get that they're excited to work with Naughty Dog, but this isn't the kind of game I'd want and the thread here seems to agree so far. Jak has had three physical releases over the years and there are a lot of deserving games that aren't getting physicals yet. Things like Celesete, Into the Breach, Crypt of the Necrodancer, etc.

I don't think it's an either/or situation.  I doubt releasing Jak and Daxter has any impact on whether or not Celeste gets released.   If LRG can release Celeste, they will be releasing Celeste.   

The morning batch for the standard release has already sold out - as much as people may not agree with it, many more seem to either be on the same page or venting while they place the order.

#21553 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10117 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:16 PM

As far as I understand it ND never patched the poor framerate and glitches from the PS4 PSN versions of J&D. Did they do so recently?

In other news how about the new avengers trailer!

#21554 Tothoro  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:24 PM

I don't think it's an either/or situation.  I doubt releasing Jak and Daxter has any impact on whether or not Celeste gets released.   If LRG can release Celeste, they will be releasing Celeste.   

The morning batch for the standard release has already sold out - as much as people may not agree with it, many more seem to either be on the same page or venting while they place the order.

It's not necessarily an either/or situation, but getting a release like this together obviously took a large amount of effort and prioritization on their part. I feel like if they directed that effort toward getting something like Celeste out the door, then they'd be better accomplishing their goal. On the blog today, Josh said, "We’re a small company that has made preserving digital games in physical form and bringing them to you, the fans of these games, our primary mission.". These aren't unpreserved digital games, they've been perserved multiple times.

Anyway, I'm aware money talks and these sold out, so they're not likely to change anything. I'm glad they've been able to grow and get these kinds of opportunities as a company, but I'm not a fan of re-buying games personally.

#21555 Miker525  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:27 PM

I ordered one. Kinda regret it. Meh.

#21556 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   12609 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:28 PM

LRG still hasn't fixed the incorrect tax issue for certain states.  Be sure to check your Order details to see if you've been charged an incorrect County tax in PA, IL and a few other states.  Open a ticket if you have.

Also, the purchase points weren't added to the new Rewards system.  Guess I'll have to open a ticket for that too?

#21557 Jurai  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:32 PM

well, didn't even know this was dropping so missed out, typical LRG shenanigans

edit: after hyping this up for so much why would they do such a small run and not just do open preorders

#21558 Equippt  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:36 PM

I don't think it's an either/or situation. I doubt releasing Jak and Daxter has any impact on whether or not Celeste gets released. If LRG can release Celeste, they will be releasing Celeste.

I just think this one wasn't really targeted at their hardcore fans (e.g. all of us). If LRG announced tomorrow that they were releasing Scott Pilgrim on PS3, we'd all lose our goddamn minds...and no one else would care at all. The Jak games seem like a way for them to appeal to a broader audience. On the other hand, it makes me question the wisdom of the "surprise" angle, since that's probably the least effective way to raise awareness outside of the hardcore fanbase. Then again it sold out pretty fast so it definitely didn't hurt them.

Still, I find it funny that three out of the four games up for sale today are available physically on other platforms. I suppose that's how it goes when they're forced to focus only on the most popular games available to them.

#21559 Jurai  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:37 PM

I just think this one wasn't really targeted at their hardcore fans (e.g. all of us). If LRG announced tomorrow that they were releasing Scott Pilgrim on PS3, we'd all lose our goddamn minds...and no one else would care at all. The Jak games seem like a way for them to appeal to a broader audience. On the other hand, it makes me question the wisdom of the "surprise" angle, since that's probably the least effective way to raise awareness outside of the hardcore fanbase. Then again it sold out pretty fast so it definitely didn't hurt them.

Still, I find it funny that three out of the four games up for sale today are available physically on other platforms. I suppose that's how it goes when they're forced to focus only on the most popular games available to them.

LRG doesn't target their hardcore fans anymore, not sure if you noticed or not, been that way for awhile

#21560 GameOverGreggy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1070 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

GameOverGreggy

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:43 PM

Yawn.  With how much they hyped this up, I was expecting something better.

#21561 Equippt  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:50 PM

LRG doesn't target their hardcore fans anymore, not sure if you noticed or not, been that way for awhile

Lol sure they do. There is zero reason for them to release anything on Vita beyond catering to us. Most of their Switch releases are small enough that they'd never make it to retail, and they're still committed to niche PS4 releases that no one else cares about. The difference now is that we're just a piece of their total market instead of the entire thing like we used to be. It's no big deal, that's just what happens when a business has a good idea and expands upon it. You can still buy what you want and ignore the games that have sold millions of copies across three other systems!

#21562 zebular   OG Gamer CAGiversary!   721 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:58 PM

I grabbed a copy but I will say, the PS3 version of Jak and Daxter is a better port in every way possible, steady frame rate and higher resolution. Also, the PS3 remaster has 3 games... Just something to think about if you are on the fence. I honestly just wanted it on my PS4 and hopefully this means we will see a relationship between LRG and Naughty Dog. Give me Way Of The Warrior on PS4, NOW! :D

frame rate/resolution PS3 vs PS4

#21563 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7207 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:08 PM

This was a good release overall, as it does show how they have moved up and on, and that comes with success and growth. In the same way LRG has changed, so have I, which has meant less purchases from me, for games I would have bought a year or two ago. They now reach a wider market, and something like Jak & Daxter sells to that bigger market. So it's all good, as I love what LRG has offered, and how well they have done in doing so.

But like most early fans who have been dying off, the business is bigger than ever, so as many leave, even more come in to replace us, and that's cool. I've always been a HUGE "N" fan, and over the years, I no longer see the company they used to be, but I'm happy to see their current successes. My son has taken my baton and ran, and may be a bigger fan than I was when I was his age, and I'm glad he can have a fun experience, even when I no longer do.

So I'll look forward to the next "BIG" reveal, in the hopes that sooner or later it meets the hype. But until then, I wish LRG continued success and even better titles in the future. As it's all about the physical after all, and for a game I might not want, there is often someone else who will, and that's why options are always best.

#21564 Eh? What?   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   159 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:12 PM

I thought the CE for Jak & Daxter looked nice, but it's just not a game I'm going to buy again.

#21565 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11816 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:13 PM

Good for LRG. But this title isnt super hype af as they were saying it was. Really disappointed

#21566 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4948 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:17 PM

Can we all just agree that what really needs to happen is a HD Remaster of Daxter? It's the obvious answer.

#21567 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22825 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:23 PM

Fark... missed Shantae this morning because I was trying to do it on mobile and I'm simply more used to the desktop website.:-( 

#21568 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   565 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:33 PM

Once it turned into a PS2 game, I think most of us were going to be disappointed no matter what.  Their hype machine wasn't really preparing us for a physical release of something that has had multiple physical releases on other platforms.  It does look like one of their nicer CEs - I find more to like about the CE release than the actual game, which I already own twice physically.  

I don't think this is something being targeted to the masses, either - if so, this "surprise" announcement immediately before it went on sale was going to dissatisfy those masses big time (and by "masses" we are talking about 5000-7000 people).  

As people complain about LRG not appealing to the hardcore gamer any longer, Headlander is sitting there begging to be bought.

#21569 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2745 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:41 PM

Yeah, I'm going to pass on Jak and Daxter. It's a bit easier, seeing as I already own several of those other physical releases for it, and don't really feel the need for a complete physical collection. I have copies of all the original PS2 games, as well as the PS3 collection. I already have options where Jak and Daxter are concerned. I went for a copy of Headlander and Shantae. I was a little iffy on Shantae as well, as I already have the 3DS copy of the game. But I'm a sucker for WayForward's games, so I got it anyway.

#21570 NDPsycho   Magically Delicious CAGiversary!   196 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

NDPsycho

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:49 PM

It does look like one of their nicer CEs - I find more to like about the CE release than the actual game, which I already own twice physically.

Completely agree, the CE contents sold me on it. Design doc, replica egg and themed USB, all in a very nice display box...has to be in my collection and means I have to also try and get the others. The only way this could have been more appealing to me would be if it was for Ratchet and Clank instead.