* * * - - 31 votes

Limited Run Games Thread - The Switch is on!

limited run games omg so rare ps4 vita

#21721 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30617 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 December 2018 - 04:26 PM

Lots of LRG Vita releases appear to be at risk:

With the flurry of Q3/Q4 releases I can't say I'm surprised, but I am a little surprised they weren't keeping better track of the allotment. 

Yeah he acted like he had everything accounted for and taken care of when he was saying they had 20+ vita games still to release. I guess not...

#21722 DoubleDam21  

DoubleDam21

Posted 21 December 2018 - 04:31 PM

https://twitter.com/...116967155740674

With the flurry of Q3/Q4 releases I can't say I'm surprised, but I am a little surprised they weren't keeping better track of the allotment.

I knew this was probably true as they were pushing it with the dead line approaching anyways but still extremely sad news.

#21723 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6171 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 December 2018 - 04:56 PM

Yeah he acted like he had everything accounted for and taken care of when he was saying they had 20+ vita games still to release. I guess not...

What makes you think this was within his control?  It sounds like Sony readjusted the allotment.  

#21724 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11706 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 December 2018 - 05:02 PM

"LRG conspiracy theories"

#21725 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   900 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 December 2018 - 05:09 PM

I wonder what (some of) the Vita titles are considering how much mediocrity all these publishers have been pressing to the carts these last few months. 

#21726 Tothoro  

Posted 21 December 2018 - 06:34 PM

What makes you think this was within his control?  It sounds like Sony readjusted the allotment.  

They only said, "our remaining Vita cartridge allotment with Sony is far lower than we expected." I don't think it's particularly clear if Sony adjusted it or if they just miscounted. Regardless, they knew the cart allotment was limited well in advance and were still planning on releasing 20+ more games. If they knew that was a constraint well in advance, it's hard to imagine there wasn't some degree of negligence involved. If I was in their shoes it's something I'd be checking weekly, keeping documented, etc.

#21727 elessar123  

Posted 21 December 2018 - 06:46 PM

I always wondered how NISA could randomly announce 3 physical Vita titles so late in the game. I wonder if a lot of it went to them, especially after stuff came back in stock after the initial sell-out.

#21728 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6171 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 December 2018 - 07:11 PM

They only said, "our remaining Vita cartridge allotment with Sony is far lower than we expected." I don't think it's particularly clear if Sony adjusted it or if they just miscounted. Regardless, they knew the cart allotment was limited well in advance and were still planning on releasing 20+ more games. If they knew that was a constraint well in advance, it's hard to imagine there wasn't some degree of negligence involved. If I was in their shoes it's something I'd be checking weekly, keeping documented, etc.

Right, why assume the logical answer when you can just accuse someone else of acting with malice or negligence?  

#21729 Tothoro  

Posted 21 December 2018 - 07:20 PM

Right, why assume the logical answer when you can just accuse someone else of acting with malice or negligence?  

I don't understand how you came to that conclusion based on what I posted. Asserting Sony dropped LRG's cartridge allotment without notice is no more logical or less accusatory than anything I said, you're just redirecting blame to Sony.

#21730 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6987 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 21 December 2018 - 07:39 PM

I don't understand how you came to that conclusion based on what I posted. Asserting Sony dropped LRG's cartridge allotment without notice is no more logical or less accusatory than anything I said, you're just redirecting blame to Sony.

I'm pretty sure LRG has been saying for awhile, that's exactly what Sony was doing. How true or untrue that was based on the info coming from LRG side of the puzzle, but this isn't new info. LRG has been doing this for years, so it's very unlikely from a common sense perspective that LRG ordered less than they needed. LRG has releases that have spanned years, so I don't see them all of a sudden doing orders wrong, or forgetting Vita titles in favor of NS, as it's all income for the business.

#21731 Markmallow  

Markmallow

Posted 21 December 2018 - 07:40 PM

https://twitter.com/...116967155740674

Dang, this is pretty disappointing. I really hope Sharin No Kuni doesn’t get shafted.

#21732 redman77   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   190 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

redman77

Posted 21 December 2018 - 07:43 PM

Was pretty excited back when LRG announced that it was going to still release a lot of Vita titles despite the end date of cart production being announced. Started getting skeptical when I realized LRG were not putting up enough Vita games for sale each month to even have any possibility of releasing the number of titles they claimed they were going to release. This latest announcement comes as no shock to me. They had to have a pretty good idea well before this week where the situation roughly stood.

#21733 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6987 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 21 December 2018 - 07:51 PM

Yeah, when LRG first mentioned that Sony was given less carts than originally planned, no info was given in regards to if Sony was given more to larger publishers, or just not producing what was ordered. Knowing Sony as I do since the Vita launched, I would say they just don't care, and probably just want this to end.

#21734 Tothoro  

Posted 21 December 2018 - 07:51 PM

I'm pretty sure LRG has been saying for awhile, that's exactly what Sony was doing. How true or untrue that was based on the info coming from LRG side of the puzzle, but this isn't new info. LRG has been doing this for years, so it's very unlikely from a common sense perspective that LRG ordered less than they needed. LRG has releases that have spanned years, so I don't see them all of a sudden doing orders wrong, or forgetting Vita titles in favor of NS, as it's all income for the business.

I keep seeing people asserting that Sony has been doing this, but can you point me to any articles/tweets/etc. where this was discussed? I'm not trying to assert that Sony isn't at fault here (discussing Sony's lack of Vita support is beating a dead horse), but it's news to me if this is what's happening and I have been keeping a relatively close eye on Vita news since I love the system.

In contrast, LRG has openly admitted they've had to pull carts from other runs because they misjudged the number of units they'd need:

For what it's worth I don't think this is malice on their end or that they forewent Vita releases for Switch ones (the two aren't mutually exclusive, after all). If they are at fault, I think that they probably lost count of their allotted carts or miscalculated something along the way. But again, it still seems ambiguous from what I've seen today.

Edit: Looks like Josh did confirm that Sony shorted them on Twitter after I posted this originally:

#21735 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2561 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 December 2018 - 07:59 PM

Seems like LRG would have realized there was a major problem MANY months ago when they were having to delay releases due to Sony imposing a limit on the number of games they could have produced per month/quarter/whatever-it-was.  You start adding the weeks and how many games they had and there was no way they could have released everything they initially requested production for. 

I think they just screwed up doing the basic math of it all and it just now hit them that Feb 15th is approaching fast and that is the last day to put in an order with Sony for the Vita.   8 Weeks left and they have what 20+ games ready for production and they are going weeks without putting anything on sale?  Hopefully their contracts are worded such that they have an out without facing major financial penalties or worse being sued into extinction for breach of contract.

I'm not surprised any of this is happening.   I'm not glad games are getting cancelled but happy to see that this rollercoaster ride of the week to week wait to see if anything is getting published and what it might be is nearly over.  Long live the vita, but rest in peace.   Feb is also the last month for the Vita getting free games on PS+.

As far as other publishers releasing a few random games, I doubt the production requirements for that were more than what LRG has been requesting.

#21736 podunk320   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   280 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

podunk320

Posted 21 December 2018 - 08:06 PM

Sony left the Vita dying on the side of the road back in 2012.  Miraculously it survived in the wild, raised by urban raccoons and squirrels. 

Best description i have heard of the Vitas life

#21737 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6171 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 December 2018 - 08:21 PM

Seems like LRG would have realized there was a major problem MANY months ago when they were having to delay releases due to Sony imposing a limit on the number of games they could have produced per month/quarter/whatever-it-was.  You start adding the weeks and how many games they had and there was no way they could have released everything they initially requested production for. 

I think they just screwed up doing the basic math of it all and it just now hit them that Feb 15th is approaching fast and that is the last day to put in an order with Sony for the Vita.   8 Weeks left and they have what 20+ games ready for production and they are going weeks without putting anything on sale?  Hopefully their contracts are worded such that they have an out without facing major financial penalties or worse being sued into extinction for breach of contract.

I'm not surprised any of this is happening.   I'm not glad games are getting cancelled but happy to see that this rollercoaster ride of the week to week wait to see if anything is getting published and what it might be is nearly over.  Long live the vita, but rest in peace.   Feb is also the last month for the Vita getting free games on PS+.

As far as other publishers releasing a few random games, I doubt the production requirements for that were more than what LRG has been requesting.

Your entire post is literally nothing but speculation.  Do you really think LRG is so completely stupid that they can't do basic math?  I just don't buy that they somehow lost track of the schedule or allocation and that's why they are now having to cancel things.  I mean, I guess they could have just kept quiet about the 10 cancelled titles, but let's go ahead and crucify them because they were open about their process.  

#21738 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6987 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 21 December 2018 - 08:40 PM

At the end of the day its lost revenue for LRG and disappointment for fan's waiting on whatever titles get cancelled. I was planning to hack my Vita once LRG was all done, so I guess that option just comes faster than planned and less money spent. For Sony, it's just another reason for me to give them the middle finger.

They've been off the rails for a minute, and this falls in line with their current level of thinking. For a company who started this gen on a rather high note, they are ending in complete and utter shit.

EDIT: So is it safe to say the bonus Vita game planned for those with complete collections is off the table now?

#21739 srocky26  

Posted 21 December 2018 - 08:51 PM

I just really hope The House of Fata Morgana isn’t one of the games axed. I’d been hoping for awhile that they would pick it up.

#21740 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2673 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 21 December 2018 - 08:58 PM

They've been off the rails for a minute, and this falls in line with their current level of thinking. For a company who started this gen on a rather high note, they are ending in complete and utter shit.

Sony has their problems, sure, but I wouldn't go that far. While I would prefer that Sony clean up a lot of their approach to legacy systems and backwards compatibility, the PS4 remains one of their best entries into the video game market. It's an extremely capable and well-designed system, with a spectacular catalog. And it's still getting tons of great games, as well as being a de-facto release platform for most prominent indie titles.

Their mobile platform efforts have been misguided and eventually abandoned, but we've seen that coming for years. It's hardly a surprise. And while it lasted, what they gave fans was actually pretty good. (hence why so many Vita fans exist) We all just wish they would have either not abandoned the Vita, or given it a proper successor. Now with the success of the Nintendo Switch, any future plans for another Sony handheld seem unlikely. All the same, I think "utter shit" might be a bit of a stretch. I've been far more pleased with Sony's performance this gen compared to any of their prior systems.

#21741 AugustAPC   Not For Sale CAGiversary!   3577 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:01 PM

I just wanna know what games got axed.

#21742 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6987 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:13 PM

Sony has their problems, sure, but I wouldn't go that far. While I would prefer that Sony clean up a lot of their approach to legacy systems and backwards compatibility, the PS4 remains one of their best entries into the video game market. It's an extremely capable and well-designed system, with a spectacular catalog. And it's still getting tons of great games, as well as being a de-facto release platform for most prominent indie titles.

Their mobile platform efforts have been misguided and eventually abandoned, but we've seen that coming for years. It's hardly a surprise. And while it lasted, what they gave fans was actually pretty good. (hence why so many Vita fans exist) We all just wish they would have either not abandoned the Vita, or given it a proper successor. Now with the success of the Nintendo Switch, any future plans for another Sony handheld seem unlikely. All the same, I think "utter shit" might be a bit of a stretch. I've been far more pleased with Sony's performance this gen compared to any of their prior systems.

Yeah, my comments had nothing to do with the PS4, as this is a discussion in regards to the Vita, which got the "redhead stepchild" shortly after it begin. Ending in shit has more to do with their ideals(and stupid ass choices), than anything dealing with the PS4. I think "N" has been complete and utter shit for years, but I still enjoy my 3DS and some of their games here and there. Just because someone has an issue with a company and how they do things, doesn't mean someone can't like their products and or games.

#21743 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2561 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 December 2018 - 10:25 PM

Your entire post is literally nothing but speculation.  Do you really think LRG is so completely stupid that they can't do basic math?  I just don't buy that they somehow lost track of the schedule or allocation and that's why they are now having to cancel things.  I mean, I guess they could have just kept quiet about the 10 cancelled titles, but let's go ahead and crucify them because they were open about their process.  

They  posted about the limit on twitter months ago and that Sony had put on all Publishers which limited the number of SKU's LRG was going to be able to publish and that some games would have to get pushed.  They posted on twitter how they had to move carts from some future releases to cover Bastion.   I think the Bastion tweet that's posted on this page (or the last one) covers this.  It's not all speculation at all when the source for the facts is the company themselves.  Part of the problem is that they shorted themselves by robbing future releases to cover Bastion.   Stick your head in the sand if you want, it's all good.

EDIT: So is it safe to say the bonus Vita game planned for those with complete collections is off the table now?

It's on the table... they tweeted as much in the discussion after the tweet saying they there were production issues.  They said they were still doing it because there were a few people expecting the game.

#21744 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6987 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 21 December 2018 - 10:31 PM

It's on the table... they tweeted as much in the discussion after the tweet saying they there were production issues.  They said they were still doing it because there were a few people expecting the game.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up.

#21745 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2673 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 21 December 2018 - 10:35 PM

Yeah, my comments had nothing to do with the PS4, as this is a discussion in regards to the Vita, which got the "redhead stepchild" shortly after it begin.

Oh, okay. That clarification does put things into perspective. I think it fair to say that the majority of what sank the Vita can be laid at Sony's feet. They were entering into a hotly contested market, with serious competition to face up against. But they also did it to themselves. Numerous questionable decisions were made, and they utterly failed to adapt. A revised Vita platform could have seriously undercut the Switch before it was ever even announced. (and would have been able to pair with the PS4 far more effectively) But Sony definitely dropped the ball on that front.

I always take a certain amount of umbrage with attacks on Nintendo's approach to game development. Their success or lack of success often has more to do with marketing and changes in their audience than it does with the quality of games. They hardly ever make actual bad games, but they frequently make games that don't appeal to a number of different audiences. And I really get irked when their hardware gets called out. There's a reason why Nintendo hardware frequently commands high prices on the second-hand market. The bloody stuff never breaks. They've been making good hardware since day 1. Again, they make hardware that doesn't necessarily appeal to everyone. But that's not the same as saying their hardware is inherently bad.

#21746 ProfessorStotch   Banned Banned   13654 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

ProfessorStotch

Posted 21 December 2018 - 11:06 PM

More like lolrg

#21747 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6171 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 December 2018 - 11:09 PM

They  posted about the limit on twitter months ago and that Sony had put on all Publishers which limited the number of SKU's LRG was going to be able to publish and that some games would have to get pushed.  They posted on twitter how they had to move carts from some future releases to cover Bastion.   I think the Bastion tweet that's posted on this page (or the last one) covers this.  It's not all speculation at all when the source for the facts is the company themselves.  Part of the problem is that they shorted themselves by robbing future releases to cover Bastion.   Stick your head in the sand if you want, it's all good.

That's not what they said.  They said they had an allocation from Sony that was assigned months ago.  Your whole argument was that they somehow lost track of the number available.  Adding some extra copies to Bastion didn't rob them of 10,000 - 20,000 vita cartridges and they never said that they had to cut the 10 games because they made an error with submission dates or their allocation.  The logical conclusion, without any additional information, is that something changed on the Sony side, not on the LRG side.  Of course, you didn't even bother to read the entire Twitter thread with all of Josh's replies.  Here is what he said and it pretty blatantly shows the exact opposite of what you are claiming: 

Since this is gaining traction, I just want to clarify something: Sony did their best to give us as many carts as they could, and we may still get more before production ends as others free up their allocations. It's a tricky situation all around. 

and My wording for the initial tweet was poor and it sounds like I'm angry at Sony. I'm not. I just dislike changing plans and the allocation has put me in a spot where I have to do that, much to my dismay. Fingers crossed things work out in the end and these get to exist.

and in response to the question of "How come they can undercut your allotment when it sounds like you told them how many you needed early on?"  Josh answers - They are caught in the same position. They have multiple publishers vying for allocations of the remaining stock and they have to figure out how to best accommodate each person. Unfortunately, they didn't have enough, so they gave us as much as they could.

It sounds pretty clear that Sony modified the allocation, but please, don't let the facts stand in the way of your attacks. 

#21748 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6987 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 21 December 2018 - 11:27 PM

Oh, okay. That clarification does put things into perspective. I think it fair to say that the majority of what sank the Vita can be laid at Sony's feet. They were entering into a hotly contested market, with serious competition to face up against. But they also did it to themselves. Numerous questionable decisions were made, and they utterly failed to adapt. A revised Vita platform could have seriously undercut the Switch before it was ever even announced. (and would have been able to pair with the PS4 far more effectively) But Sony definitely dropped the ball on that front.

I always take a certain amount of umbrage with attacks on Nintendo's approach to game development. Their success or lack of success often has more to do with marketing and changes in their audience than it does with the quality of games. They hardly ever make actual bad games, but they frequently make games that don't appeal to a number of different audiences. And I really get irked when their hardware gets called out. There's a reason why Nintendo hardware frequently commands high prices on the second-hand market. The bloody stuff never breaks. They've been making good hardware since day 1. Again, they make hardware that doesn't necessarily appeal to everyone. But that's not the same as saying their hardware is inherently bad.

Yeah, after the Vita didn't take off right out the gate, I think Sony just didn't care, as the PS4 had arrived. The remote play feature, and not offering the Vita as a companion to the PS4 I think was their biggest misstep, as I think the PS4 could have elevated the Vita. I'm sure Sony had the opposite thought, and didn't want the PS4 brought down because of the Vita. I don't think we will ever see another system like the Vita, that got so little support from it's creator and went on years after the fact. How many years has it been seen Sony stopped even offering systems in the US? That fact that we still get games is mind blowing. If Sony hadn't thrown in the towel, I think 2019 could have had a decent showing as well, but I guess we'll never know.

I've for sure had a great run on "N" systems and consoles quality wise, as they are pretty bulletproof. I think a cracked DS hinge was my biggest issue, and most had that same problem(no hinge issues for any of my 3DS's). I was sad to see all the syncing issues and wi-fi problems of the NS at launch(some still have issues with weak connections). But my son's system was good, and considering the tech, and their lack of tech, I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. Overall hardware wise, I think the NS was a solid effort, and I still look forward to getting one at a later date if they make something smaller(and cheaper of course), as I'm a portable gamer at heart, and as is, the NS just isn't portable(at least by my own standards).

But I've been toying with the idea of just getting out of current gaming on the whole, so if "N" goes the pro route, instead of the slim one, I'll be cool with just playing my backlog and moving on to other things. The all digital future is getting closer and closer, and I don't mind buying digital when the prices are PSN style, of pennies on the dollar. But I don't know that I would ever pay much more for digital games in the long term, as I would probably lose access long before I played most of them. LOL

#21749 Tothoro  

Posted 21 December 2018 - 11:31 PM

That's not what they said.  They said they had an allocation from Sony that was assigned months ago.  Your whole argument was that they somehow lost track of the number available.  Adding some extra copies to Bastion didn't rob them of 10,000 - 20,000 vita cartridges and they never said that they had to cut the 10 games because they made an error with submission dates or their allocation.  The logical conclusion, without any additional information, is that something changed on the Sony side, not on the LRG side.  Of course, you didn't even bother to read the entire Twitter thread with all of Josh's replies.  Here is what he said and it pretty blatantly shows the exact opposite of what you are claiming: 

Since this is gaining traction, I just want to clarify something: Sony did their best to give us as many carts as they could, and we may still get more before production ends as others free up their allocations. It's a tricky situation all around. 

and My wording for the initial tweet was poor and it sounds like I'm angry at Sony. I'm not. I just dislike changing plans and the allocation has put me in a spot where I have to do that, much to my dismay. Fingers crossed things work out in the end and these get to exist.

and in response to the question of "How come they can undercut your allotment when it sounds like you told them how many you needed early on?"  Josh answers - They are caught in the same position. They have multiple publishers vying for allocations of the remaining stock and they have to figure out how to best accommodate each person. Unfortunately, they didn't have enough, so they gave us as much as they could.

It sounds pretty clear that Sony modified the allocation, but please, don't let the facts stand in the way of your attacks. 

To be completely fair, those clarifications were posted after night's post. They made another, even more damning, clarification that Sony cut their allotment that they've since deleted as well (likely not to draw Sony's ire). But at this point, we can conclusively say that Sony screwed LRG on this one.

#21750 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6171 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 December 2018 - 11:41 PM

To be completely fair, those clarifications were posted after night's post. They made another, even more damning, clarification that Sony cut their allotment that they've since deleted as well (likely not to draw Sony's ire). But at this point, we can conclusively say that Sony screwed LRG on this one.

Fair enough.  I just think it's extremely crappy that someone would trash LRG without even bothering to wait for some facts to come out.