* * * - - 31 votes

Limited Run Games Thread - The Switch is on!

limited run games omg so rare ps4 vita

#22561 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2674 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:33 PM

Mmmmm... I'm not usually tempted by the collector's editions. I've passed on most of them. But that custom ShockBox is really turning my crank. A custom case that fits the PS4/Vita copy, and externally looks like the original AES cartridge box... that's some real good fan-service for collectors. Very true to the original Neo-Geo experience.

#22562 srocky26  

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:39 PM

Mmmmm... I'm not usually tempted by the collector's editions. I've passed on most of them. But that custom ShockBox is really turning my crank. A custom case that fits the PS4/Vita copy, and externally looks like the original AES cartridge box... that's some real good fan-service for collectors. Very true to the original Neo-Geo experience.

Someone in the comments mentioned that the case is numbered 001. LRG said, “the shock boxes are numbered for their own series (for folks who just want to collect this and any of our *theoretical* future SNK releases).”

Basically, there will be more coming.

#22563 JoshTX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2469 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:36 PM

Pretty psyched for KOF 97. Anything Samurai Shodown related would be totally welcome, especially a physical port of the original game on Vita. Woooooo that would be nice. 

#22564 lakers714  

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:51 PM

Nice haven't picked up a LRG in a long time prob a year+ but will be picking up KOF wished it was collection of them tho 

#22565 Jawwaad1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   897 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Jawwaad1

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:05 AM

Anyone notice that the alterternative LRG cover for Windjammers is no longer showing on Best Buy’s site. It was there for a couple days but now I can’t find it.

#22566 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14073 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:08 AM

Ugh.

I’m a massive fan of SNK. I prolly have 35 MVS carts (and of course, shockboxes for most of them).

That’s damn tempting...but I need to stay strong and stay out. I do not need to buy Neo Geo games again and again. :(

#22567 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5406 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:46 AM

Ugh.

I’m a massive fan of SNK. I prolly have 35 MVS carts (and of course, shockboxes for most of them).

That’s damn tempting...but I need to stay strong and stay out. I do not need to buy Neo Geo games again and again. :(

Yes, you probably do need this.  d41wb.gif

#22568 kevers7290   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   281 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

kevers7290

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:08 AM

Is KOF getting an open pre-order for the standard?

#22569 adam81  

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:14 AM

These SNK games  should be in a compilation. Do the PS4 games have the same emulation as the PS2 compilation discs from a while back? How is the emulation in general?

#22570 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6992 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:05 AM

Damn, I just saw Strangers Wrath for the PS3 is 4000 copies, holy hell, is that correct? That seems rather high, but maybe they know something I don't, I guess we'll see tomorrow.

#22571 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11710 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:07 AM

Will buy KOF and Koihime

#22572 Markmallow  

Markmallow

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:35 AM

Anyone notice that the alterternative LRG cover for Windjammers is no longer showing on Best Buy’s site. It was there for a couple days but now I can’t find it.

Yeah, the page is completely gone. I’m assuming they sold out, because they were only getting like 5,000 copies if I remember correctly.

#22573 hohle  

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:35 AM

I prolly have 35 MVS carts (and of course, shockboxes for most of them).

I think I would have preferred and AES style box or clamshell. The MVS boxes are so huuuuge.

If you think the replica box is neat, Bitmap Beureau is releasing working MVS and AES carts for Xeno Crisis. Now _that_ would have been a cool bonus.

#22574 DS9   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   456 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:40 AM

A single KOF game on a ps4 disc or vita cart? What a waste, throw some more KOF games or a comp of SNK titles. Thee gonna charge $29/$29 I bet too!

#22575 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   3945 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:03 AM

With those numbered shockboxes, the train is starting to leave the station again. I want them all.

#22576 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   12224 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:37 AM

Yeah, the page is completely gone. I’m assuming they sold out, because they were only getting like 5,000 copies if I remember correctly.

I highly doubt they sold out already.  None of the previously released LRG games at BB has sold out yet, and some even had a similar print run (like Battle Chef Brigade, I believe).

#22577 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2564 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:49 PM

Good luck to those of you going for the TJ&E CE's today. 2500 on Switch, 1500 on PS4... with a limit of 2 per person & the backers already had first pickings.

#22578 looserattledgamer  

looserattledgamer

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:57 PM

Any1 going to sue LRG for that horrid Strangers Wrath cover? I think we’d win.

#22579 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6992 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:28 PM

It must have gone pretty smoothly this morning uh, as nowhere near the traffic here like last weeks bloodbath, that's for sure. LOL

#22580 srocky26  

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:35 PM

I checked 8 minutes into the sale. The switch CE was already sold out. There were 16 copies of the PS4 CE left. Hundreds of Oddworld were (and still are) available.

#22581 Tothoro  

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:56 PM

It looks like the Spelunky CE is still in stock for every platform. Given how fast the standard Vita copies sold I'm genuinely surprised that more people didn't get it. I get that the crowd is less and less enthralled by CEs, but the CE was about the price of a standard copy on eBay when I checked after last week's bloodbath.

#22582 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6992 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:30 PM

It looks like the Spelunky CE is still in stock for every platform. Given how fast the standard Vita copies sold I'm genuinely surprised that more people didn't get it. I get that the crowd is less and less enthralled by CEs, but the CE was about the price of a standard copy on eBay when I checked after last week's bloodbath.

Right after situation like last week, people go nuts and pay any price(if any actually sold), which can be insane to say the least. Do you remember back when Night Trap and Wonder Boy CE sold out ASAP, and fans and prices went into a frenzy? Within a few months of them being delivered, and Ebay being flooded, you could barely get retail for either. If anyone is paying much for these, it won't last long, as I'm sure 90% will be online soon enough, which will kill any profits for all involved.

#22583 mrDonVanDam   Great Scott! CAGiversary!   622 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

mrDonVanDam

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:36 PM

I checked 8 minutes into the sale. The switch CE was already sold out. There were 16 copies of the PS4 CE left. Hundreds of Oddworld were (and still are) available.

I don't think theres any demand for a Collector's PS3 game, unfortunately. Especially when there's better ports out there. 

I was surprised TJ&E switch collectors lasted around 5 minutes. I got my copy, but I expected it to be sold out in the usual 2 minutes. 

#22584 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6174 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:42 PM

I don't think theres any demand for a Collector's PS3 game, unfortunately. Especially when there's better ports out there. 

I was surprised TJ&E switch collectors lasted around 5 minutes. I got my copy, but I expected it to be sold out in the usual 2 minutes. 

That's not accurate.  It looks like they are down to single digits of available copies of the Oddworld CE at this point and the morning sale is always a larger quantity than the afternoon.  Also, where are these "better" ports you speak of?  The Vita is the only other modern console port available unless you're talking about the various digital mobile ports.  The Switch version will hopefully be good, but it hasn't been released yet.

#22585 Jiles001  

Jiles001

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:29 PM

Right after situation like last week, people go nuts and pay any price(if any actually sold), which can be insane to say the least. Do you remember back when Night Trap and Wonder Boy CE sold out ASAP, and fans and prices went into a frenzy? Within a few months of them being delivered, and Ebay being flooded, you could barely get retail for either. If anyone is paying much for these, it won't last long, as I'm sure 90% will be online soon enough, which will kill any profits for all involved.

I picked up the night trap CE and ended up keeping the game and selling the steelbook for the price of the CE so profits vary between these CE releases. I think the morning batch of most of their releases sell out but the afternoon is where you really see whether the demand is there or not for some of the releases.

#22586 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2674 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:57 PM

You have to gauge the community interest in order to really get an idea of what the actual after-market value is going to end up being. You can't just assume that the scarcity will take care of the issue for you. Scarcity is far more important in the long-term, not the short term. I small print run for a title that know one knows about and fewer people care about isn't going to go for much in the after-market. A game like that needs time and exposure for it's small print run to start working in its favor. Flippers who pile on such titles end up losing money, or at least not making nearly as much.

Night Trap was an easy mark. It may never have had the critical acclaim, but it had notoriety and historical significance to spare. All the classic game collectors were familiar with Night Trap. And the version they put out here was arguable the best release of the game ever, making it that much easier to go after it. (no postage-stamp sized videos for this version, no sir) I personally spent extra for the Switch version, just for the novelty of having this notorious cult-classic on a Nintendo system.

A lot of the lesser-known LRG releases aren't going to be sure-fire flipper titles though. Toe Jam and Earl is probably not going to be a very good flipper title. It has the name recognition, but any half-decent collector knows that it is a modern indie game, and not a re-release of the original title. It's also a title that hasn't even come out yet, so there is no way to properly review it for critical appraisal. Much more risky for short-term investment. If the reviews for the game come back negative, short-term collector interest will nosedive. Only the most die-hard fans and collectors show up for a bad entry in a series.

#22587 Green Card200   The Time Mage CAGiversary!   2385 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Green Card200

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:14 PM

A single KOF game on a ps4 disc or vita cart? What a waste, throw some more KOF games or a comp of SNK titles. Thee gonna charge $29/$29 I bet too!

All the other SNK games people are asking for could have easily been part of a compilation. SNK does random compilations all the time. Did they list a price for the KoF 97 CE? I'm not going to get it I just want to see how overpriced it is. That all being said I'll still probably grab a standard copy.

#22588 mrDonVanDam   Great Scott! CAGiversary!   622 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

mrDonVanDam

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:35 PM

That's not accurate.  It looks like they are down to single digits of available copies of the Oddworld CE at this point and the morning sale is always a larger quantity than the afternoon.  Also, where are these "better" ports you speak of?  The Vita is the only other modern console port available unless you're talking about the various digital mobile ports.  The Switch version will hopefully be good, but it hasn't been released yet.

My mistake, I thought Stranger's Wrath already had been released on PS4 - but I guess last I read, it was only rumors. Nevermind then!

#22589 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2300 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:01 PM

It's coming out on Switch so we can expect that from LRG at some point.

#22590 SmileyMcSmiles   Coulrophobia CAGiversary!   2380 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

SmileyMcSmiles

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:49 PM

So I just ordered 2 copies of Stranger's Wrath, assuming it will ship in a box for free, but realized these are for PS3 and I'm not sure if the free LRG box applies to my order.

Anyone from LRG here know? Or able to assist on how I can go about adding a box to my order if needed?  Thanks!