* * * - - 31 votes

Limited Run Games Thread - The Switch is on!

limited run games omg so rare ps4 vita

#23071 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2564 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:24 PM

I remember reading about this game being developed by Might Rabbit Studios, and thinking that it would be the obvious choice for the bonus release. Makes sense that they would start the Vita collection with two of their games, and finish with another.

Not exactly developed by them, but they published it.   It was developed by one of the LRG employees who develops his own games under the M7 Games label on the side.   This is the same developer behind the GunWorld series.  I posted about the game and who was behind it a while back as my prediction for the bonus vita game.   Nice to see another bit of speculation by me come to fruition.

#23072 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   901 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:38 PM

What a waste of a Vita cartridge

I guess that's why they left it in the bathroom.

#23073 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6992 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:44 PM

Does that mean this is the last vita game lrg is selling?

If it happens to be the "full set bonus" game, it won't be sold at all, as it's supposed to be a bonus for those with a complete full Vita collection as a "Thank You". You provide proof to LRG of your full set, and your supposed to get the game free, or that was my understanding when it was first mentioned. 

So depending on how many copies are made, and how many they give out, they may use the extra copies for prizes or special situations down the road. But it should never be sold, unless it's extra copies to those who have a complete set of LRG Vita library who may want an extra copy.

#23074 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   508 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:13 PM

I don't think that's fair. The same folks who complain don't seem to understand that this is a low-margin business. LRG isn't rolling in dollars. They are essentially relying on volume releases to sustain their business, and they also need Sony to print their discs, and I wouldn't be surprised that based on their print runs (which probably annually pale in comparison to one Ubisoft release) means their game orders are farther down the queue.

I'm fine with LRG as long as I get my game. They bring physical copies of games to players that probably would never get such a release, and few companies out there are jumping through the hoops like LRG to secure as many titles and as many obscure ones.

They were a "low-margin" business when they started and I don't know that anyone can argue that things weren't preferable back then.

Again, I don't really care.  The long shipping times and lengthy turnaround time for support issues don't bother me.  I know they exist, though, and I'm not going to give them a positive review here when it comes to shipping/support times no matter how small they are.  All I'm saying is that I can see why some may be dissatisfied.  

I can say that I 100% believe I will always get what I order and that they will take care of any issues that come up.  So far, every issue I've had has been resolved to my satisfaction.  The resolution is slower than it once was, but I am personally not in a rush, so their operation works fine for someone like me.   

#23075 Equippt  

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:31 PM

So Double Switch PS4 showed up yesterday, pretty sweet, I can finally stop playing my Saturn copy.

Night Trap Vita Collector's Edition arrived as well... what really surprised me is that it has the original Sega CD game art! Didn't even realize that when I ordered. Guess useable art was found or clearances made in the time since the PS4 and Switch versions were released. If it weren't for the ESRB rating requirement I'd bug Limited Run about official updated covers for those releases.

I thought about trying to make a custom PS4 collector's edition for myself using the Vita box, but the CD sountrack in the thick Sega CD style case along with the PS4 game are a little bit snug for my taste. Whatever, just incredibly pleasantly surprised to have the original game art on a big box.

Since it sounds like you're a fan...if I enjoyed Night Trap, should I try out Double Switch too? Seems natural that I would like both, but I know next to nothing about Double Switch so I figured I'd ask. It also probably helps that the new Night Trap is one of the best remakes I've ever seen. Better controls, remarkably improved video/audio, gallery to view all the footage on its own, developer interviews...it's crazy how much care was put into it. Makes me wonder if all of that was part of why I liked Night Trap so much!

#23076 astrotide   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   65 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

astrotide

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:33 PM

Since it sounds like you're a fan...if I enjoyed Night Trap, should I try out Double Switch too? Seems natural that I would like both, but I know next to nothing about Double Switch so I figured I'd ask. It also probably helps that the new Night Trap is one of the best remakes I've ever seen. Better controls, remarkably improved video/audio, gallery to view all the footage on its own, developer interviews...it's crazy how much care was put into it. Makes me wonder if all of that was part of why I liked Night Trap so much!

Of all the other FMV games out there, Double Switch is really the only one in the same vein as Night Trap. It really can be seen as a sequel in many respects.

The gameplay is bit more complicated, and there is a slight bit of randomization - like the timing system is slightly different where each event doesn't happen at the exact same time - certain events are based off internal game timers based on when a certain video plays.

I may be slightly biased by nostalgia but I enjoy both games quite a bit. The Night Trap remaster was such a massive upgrade and packed with extras, Double Switch can really only compare on the remastered front. I would definitely give Double Switch a hearty recommendation to anyone that enjoyed Night Trap - the two games really belong side by side.

#23077 Equippt  

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:58 PM

Of all the other FMV games out there, Double Switch is really the only one in the same vein as Night Trap. It really can be seen as a sequel in many respects.

The gameplay is bit more complicated, and there is a slight bit of randomization - like the timing system is slightly different where each event doesn't happen at the exact same time - certain events are based off internal game timers based on when a certain video plays.

I may be slightly biased by nostalgia but I enjoy both games quite a bit. The Night Trap remaster was such a massive upgrade and packed with extras, Double Switch can really only compare on the remastered front. I would definitely give Double Switch a hearty recommendation to anyone that enjoyed Night Trap - the two games really belong side by side.

Thanks for the reply, I'll probably pick up the Switch release when it comes along. I was honestly surprised that I liked Night Trap so much because most reviewers seem to hate it (I never played it back in the day either, so the nostalgia isn't there for me). Looking forward to trying out Double Switch, too.

#23078 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6992 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:36 PM

Thanks for the reply, I'll probably pick up the Switch release when it comes along. I was honestly surprised that I liked Night Trap so much because most reviewers seem to hate it (I never played it back in the day either, so the nostalgia isn't there for me). Looking forward to trying out Double Switch, too.

Yeah, FMV games are an acquired taste, no doubt, and NT was one of the games that moved the genre forward(or at least tried to). I can still see how someone might like NT, but not something like Dragon's Lair, as both use prerecorded video, but both are very different experiences.

I'm a fan of all things FMV, so it's always nice to see someone take a liking to a game in the genre, especially when they didn't think it could happen. LOL

#23079 Darshminder   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   267 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Darshminder

Posted 22 March 2019 - 03:32 PM

Seems like many people aren't too impressed with the bonus game potentially being Revenge of the Bird King (ROTBK). I would just point out that if the bonus game was planned to be a highly desirable release, like Limbo or Fez, people would lose their minds about the game not being available for purchase. Therefore, I think that if they move forward with the free bonus for completionists, ROTBK is probably the most responsible choice.

On a side note, it sounds like they've exhausted all their options for physical Vita releases that were ready to meet Sony's deadline... So if people are upset about ROTBK getting physical over other games like YIIK, you have to consider the variables out of LRG's control.

#23080 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6992 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:56 PM

Seems like many people aren't too impressed with the bonus game potentially being Revenge of the Bird King (ROTBK). I would just point out that if the bonus game was planned to be a highly desirable release, like Limbo or Fez, people would lose their minds about the game not being available for purchase. Therefore, I think that if they move forward with the free bonus for completionists, ROTBK is probably the most responsible choice.

Yeah, I totally agree, and if the bonus game was a higher quality title, those developers need to be paid, and that comes out of LRG pocket, as it's a "free" game. So I always figured it was going to be a game that they had a hand in, or some form of relationship with the creator, as to work a "cheap" deal so to speak, as it is a "bonus" game after all. 

I never planned on it being anything great, if it happened at all, but knowing that, I also knew it would be beyond rare, and will probably be the most expensive game they have based on qty's produced. So yeah, would I have like something great for free? Of course, but getting something rare that will have a great value attached, will be OK in the end as far as I'm concerned. As this was always more likely to happen, then some cool highly sought after game, as that wasn't going to work in regards to the community as stated above.

#23081 astrotide   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   65 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

astrotide

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:57 PM

So if people are upset about ROTBK getting physical over other games like YIIK, you have to consider the variables out of LRG's control.

How dare you.

There are, have never been, and never will be, variables out of LRG's control.

#23082 AugustAPC   Not For Sale CAGiversary!   3577 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:31 PM

I think they actually said that the bonus game would be something no one would care about.

#23083 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   19957 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:41 PM

According to resetera, ROTBK will have a higher print than Breach & Clear.  Basically people with full set will get it first, then people with full set with one missing game, then people with 2 missing games and so on until they run out.

#23084 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2564 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:28 PM

I have no beef with LRG making ROTBK the free bonus game.  It just makes me extra glad I came to my senses early on and didn't chase that carrot and spend that nearly $3000 (est 80 current games, 13 to come, @$30 avg/shipped) ... let alone have to show up for every sale with a vita game.  While I'm glad it wasn't Fez or something I really wanted, I'm pretty much done with physical vita game buying anyway and have moved on to the Switch... so... it probably wouldn't have bugged me much had it actually been a good game.  In some ways it's kind of a sick burn to the people that bit hard into that collection...  though at least it wasn't My Name is Mayo.

#23085 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6992 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:34 PM

According to resetera, ROTBK will have a higher print than Breach & Clear.  Basically people with full set will get it first, then people with full set with one missing game, then people with 2 missing games and so on until they run out.

Damn, so I bought Mecho Tales for nothing? 

#23086 Modus Pwnens   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   169 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Modus Pwnens

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:41 AM

So if people are upset about ROTBK getting physical over other games like YIIK, you have to consider the variables out of LRG's control.

YIIK sucks ass though

#23087 Darshminder   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   267 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Darshminder

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:45 AM

YIIK sucks ass though

I only referenced YIIK because it was a highly anticipated LRG release before the physical release was ultimately canceled... But yeah, I didn't realize how bad the reviews were until you pointed it out. Hopefully you can catch my drift, and fill in the blank with a better example.

#23088 MaximusDM   What is a man!? CAGiversary!   394 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:44 AM

Have they talked about the verification process of being eligible to even get the game? I mean how do they check this?

Take a picture? And what is stopping a person from just printing out a bunch of slip covers of their missing games and throw it in a case?

#23089 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6172 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 24 March 2019 - 01:17 AM

Have they talked about the verification process of being eligible to even get the game? I mean how do they check this?

Take a picture? And what is stopping a person from just printing out a bunch of slip covers of their missing games and throw it in a case?

Details are still not final, but it sounds like they will initially do a sweep of their sales records to determine who has bought every Vita release from them and then repeat for people that have bought every Vita release but one from them, everyone who has bought every Vita release but two from them and so on until they deplete their copies.  So, I don't know that they are still planning to rely much on photo evidence. 

#23090 jr8rulz   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   626 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:45 PM

Details are still not final, but it sounds like they will initially do a sweep of their sales records to determine who has bought every Vita release from them and then repeat for people that have bought every Vita release but one from them, everyone who has bought every Vita release but two from them and so on until they deplete their copies.  So, I don't know that they are still planning to rely much on photo evidence. 

if thats how it goes, then i may be SOL as i missed 3 or 4 releases and got them from ebay later on.... i have a full set now..so idk

and ill be pissed

#23091 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6992 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 24 March 2019 - 02:17 PM

if thats how it goes, then i may be SOL as i missed 3 or 4 releases and got them from ebay later on.... i have a full set now..so idk

and ill be pissed

They made it clear very early on that you didn't have to have to buy the games from them, just own them in your possession. So while many of us bought from them directly, it won't matter, and it just comes down to how they prove the matter of ownership. As how or where you got any games, doesn't matter, or so they said.

#23092 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6172 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 24 March 2019 - 03:25 PM

They made it clear very early on that you didn't have to have to buy the games from them, just own them in your possession. So while many of us bought from them directly, it won't matter, and it just comes down to how they prove the matter of ownership. As how or where you got any games, doesn't matter, or so they said.

They've clarified since then the method that I set out.  It basically protects people that bought a few from elsewhere.  It also sounds like there will be a pretty good quantity of these, so I think that people that only missed a few releases will probably be fine.

#23093 falsedichotomies  

falsedichotomies

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:05 PM

If that's the case, that really upsets me. I decided to go for a full vita set only after the ps4 release schedule became too grueling to keep up with. I have the vita set now but the first 30 titles or so came from ebay, as I opted for the ps4 versions of the game at the time. If they use the bought only from them method, the scalpers will be the real winners once again. It'll basically screw anybody who wasn't there at the beginning but who went on to get a vita set while rewarding those who buy one of everything to flip. Verification would be really easy on the other hand with like a timestamp and video if they really wanted these in the hands of full set people.

#23094 Jurai  

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:17 PM

Sounds like a shit show all around

#23095 Tothoro  

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:10 PM

Sounds like a shit show all around

Yeah. As soon as they announced it without a concrete plan on how to verify, I could tell it was going to turn into a disaster. Now that they're flip-flopping it's only going to get worse and worse.

#23096 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6172 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:15 PM

Yeah. As soon as they announced it without a concrete plan on how to verify, I could tell it was going to turn into a disaster. Now that they're flip-flopping it's only going to get worse and worse.

I don't think it's as bad as all that.  I don't recall them ever saying that you could literally buy most of the games on the aftermarket, it was always that as long as you bought most from them and just had to fill some gaps, they would allow it to count. 

#23097 Equippt  

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:26 PM

Have they even officially announced anything yet? I know Josh and Doug have been casually talking about it on Twitter or whatever for a while now, but I think that's been it. Until they make an announcement as a company it's probably a good idea to remember that nothing is set in stone.

#23098 Tothoro  

Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:16 AM

I don't think it's as bad as all that.  I don't recall them ever saying that you could literally buy most of the games on the aftermarket, it was always that as long as you bought most from them and just had to fill some gaps, they would allow it to count. 

They definitely said that where you got them didn't matter, but that you just needed to own them all ("own" being the key word and likely what a lot of followers latched on to). They've been hinting at this for about a year now so i can't find the specific tweet/post/etc. where they disclosed that, but they've definitely been a lot more vague on it recently saying things like "details will be announced closer to its release", "we haven't decided how to verify yet", etc. In one of their fireside chats, Josh plainly said he hates talking about it because of all the speculation and questions it has led to already.

Edit: Here's a direct quote from their customer service after the announcement (which was after last year's E3 presentation, in case anyone was wondering):

In regards to the free exclusive, a full set (platform specific) would be 1 of each title whether it is standard, a variant, or a CE whether it was purchased directly through us, or otherwise acquired.
For the Vita game, it'll be a full Vita set.
Later on, it sounds like we will be capping off other platforms similarly.

Have they even officially announced anything yet? I know Josh and Doug have been casually talking about it on Twitter or whatever for a while now, but I think that's been it. Until they make an announcement as a company it's probably a good idea to remember that nothing is set in stone.

They've affirmed that it's happening several times, but they haven't officially said what it is, when it's releasing, or how they'll verify; just that you need to have a full set and won't be able to purchase it. At the LRG party last week, someone found a LRG#000 release for Revenge of the Bird King and posted it on Twitter, which more or less affirmed that's what it will be, but they haven't officially commented on the post.

#23099 srocky26  

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:38 AM

At most there are 1500 complete sets. None of this should be an issue.

#23100 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6172 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:41 AM

At most there are 1500 complete sets. None of this should be an issue.

The issue is that they supposedly printed more than 1500 copies of the bonus game and there is some indication that they will extend the offer to people that have slightly less than a full set.  They also talked about being able to complete the set using copies purchased on the aftermarket, but Josh and Douglas were never specific about what they meant.  Apparently based on posts a few up, customer service then clarified (although a while ago now) that you could complete the set using as many aftermarket purchases as needed which seems to contradict the idea of "being with them from the beginning".  In any event, there will need to be some clarification, but it sounds like the Vita releases will be spread throughout 2019, so we are probably 8-9 months away from the bonus game distribution anyway.