* * * - - 31 votes

Limited Run Games Thread - The Switch is on!

limited run games omg so rare ps4 vita

#24661 redman77   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   261 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

redman77

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:56 AM

Horrendous? Strongly diagree. The Anthology wasn't perfect but I think your comments are incorrect and at the very least, grossly exaggerate the problem.

That Anthology remains the best way to experience all the MS games in a tight package with some cool extras.

I have MS Anthology on Wii, PS2, and PSP. Any imperfections aside, I agree that MS Anthology is a nice package of games. The main gripe I have is that the Wii version has trash control options. The PS2 version is pretty great, and the PSP version is one of my favorite PSP games.

#24662 hohle  

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:31 AM

I have MS Anthology on Wii, PS2, and PSP. Any imperfections aside, I agree that MS Anthology is a nice package of games. The main gripe I have is that the Wii version has trash control options. The PS2 version is pretty great, and the PSP version is one of my favorite PSP games.

I have the Wii version as well and it's virtually unplayable. It doesn't support the classic controller; to throw a bomb you need to shake the Wiimote. Forget any precision movements, bombs are effectively useless. I can't imagine it was play tested with the controls as it shipped.

#24663 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2651 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:57 AM

I have the Wii version as well and it's virtually unplayable. It doesn't support the classic controller; to throw a bomb you need to shake the Wiimote. Forget any precision movements, bombs are effectively useless. I can't imagine it was play tested with the controls as it shipped.

Unless a game is exclusive to the Wii, I generally looked to buy it elsewhere. Personally hated the wiimote control scheme, and always looked for games that offered classic/gamecube controller support.

Played the Anthology on PS2 and I found it to be great arcade fun!

#24664 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7175 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:42 AM

The PSP is the only version I ever owned, and I always found it to be a sound experience, no complaints. Most games of this type can have issues, due to emulation, menus, options, etc., but besides the load times, I always found it a solid effort(nothing great, but nothing terrible).

Unless a game is exclusive to the Wii, I generally looked to buy it elsewhere. Personally hated the wiimote control scheme, and always looked for games that offered classic/gamecube controller support.

Played the Anthology on PS2 and I found it to be great arcade fun!

Yep, motion controls was the bane of my existence, and the main reason my Wii sat un-played most of the time. The Wii may be one of the most successful systems of all time, but for me, it was one of the worst, and the forced motion controls is the reason why,  Fuck ing GARBAGE!

#24665 srocky26  

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:07 PM

Doesn't that say no more combined shipping, or am I reading it wrong (a strong possibility because I'm tired as hell)?

They used to let you combine shipping for separate orders. In the example above, he ordered a Vita copy in one order and a PS4 copy in another order. For a small fee they would combine those orders into one package and refund your shipping for a small fee. It was mostly beneficial for international orders where it’s expensive to ship ($15 for some items).

This is the program they’ve stopped. I believe it was a very manual process. When shipping an order that was combined, they would have to put aside all the items until the last of the items were ready to be shipped.

#24666 Jhingles  

Jhingles

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:19 PM

They used to let you combine shipping for separate orders. In the example above, he ordered a Vita copy in one order and a PS4 copy in another order. For a small fee they would combine those orders into one package and refund your shipping for a small fee. It was mostly beneficial for international orders where it’s expensive to ship ($15 for some items).

This is the program they’ve stopped. I believe it was a very manual process. When shipping an order that was combined, they would have to put aside all the items until the last of the items were ready to be shipped.

Ahhh gotcha, thanks for the clarification. That wouldn't effect me then but it does suck for those who used that option.

#24667 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   427 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:16 PM

#24668 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   927 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:02 PM

Not the Wayforward game I want info on...

#24669 looserattledgamer  

looserattledgamer

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:05 PM

Not the Wayforward game I want info on...

You don’t take vitamins ?

#24670 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   927 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:54 PM

You don’t take vitamins ?

I like taking my Girls to River City

#24671 Jhingles  

Jhingles

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:58 PM

Turok 1 & 2 dual pack for $109.99. Whyyy... 😫

#24672 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2728 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:30 PM

Turok 1 & 2 dual pack for $109.99. Whyyy...

Looking at the contents... why do you want those versions?  The extras seem kind of ... well... I just don't get the appeal.

#24673 marineal   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1549 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

marineal

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:46 PM

Anyone know if LRG will ever release Super Meat Boy for PS4? 

#24674 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   427 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:09 PM

Anyone know if LRG will ever release Super Meat Boy for PS4? 

yes they are going to release it for ps4, vita and switch you can get the switch version at best buy now

#24675 Jhingles  

Jhingles

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:17 AM

Looking at the contents... why do you want those versions? The extras seem kind of ... well... I just don't get the appeal.

I just took a look and you're kinda right, those metal N64 carts seem a bit strange. I was thinking something more along the lines of the Yooka Laylee LE which I'm still salty about missing.

#24676 Super Strider TurbulenceEX   Son of the Old Gods CAGiversary!   488 Posts   Joined 1.2 Years Ago  

Super Strider TurbulenceEX

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:52 AM

That Turok bundle looks amazing but I already bought the games on Xbox One and really don't need to spend $110 on something I really won't play. If only LR would stuff overstock to reach deep discounts!

#24677 Super Strider TurbulenceEX   Son of the Old Gods CAGiversary!   488 Posts   Joined 1.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:57 AM

Horrendous? Strongly diagree. The Anthology wasn't perfect but I think your comments are incorrect and at the very least, grossly exaggerate the problem.

That Anthology remains the best way to experience all the MS games in a tight package with some cool extras.

Listen, I'm going to be very clear about this. If you like Metal Slug Anthology, fine. I got no problem with that. But the input lag (especially on the ps4 port) is absolutely horrendous, ranging from half a second to a full second to respond, in a twitch action shooter. That's not even my opinion, that is legitimately how the port runs.

#24678 bradbo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   955 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:00 AM

I can’t believe we’re discussing buying 100$ Turok physical reruns. Only gained traction the first time because there was nothing else to play on N64. Junk.

#24679 Super Strider TurbulenceEX   Son of the Old Gods CAGiversary!   488 Posts   Joined 1.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:50 AM

If that's the case, why weren't Hexen64 and Dark Rift million sellers?

Turok 1 & 2 are great games, Turok 2 in particular is amazing. Acclaim put alot of craft and care in these games and still shows, 20+ years later in it's design.

But yeah, I don't wanna pay $100 for them either. 

#24680 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   1179 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:59 AM

"THerE wAs NOthInG eLSe tO pLAy"

Literally heavy hitters on that system and the first smash. By you logic, Nintendo probably shouldn't have ported Zelda OoT and MM to the 3DS physically because there's no way that would sel- oh wait

The real junk is making a blanket statement when it seems you've never touched a n64.

I will agree $100+ for the turok games are too much though.

#24681 Tothoro  

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:07 PM

For better or for worse, my Switch is just a first-party Nintendo machine. I still prefer the PS4/Vita and the accompanying ecosystem, and I have more than enough games to keep me busy for years to come I feel. Maybe it's just collector's fatigue after the Vita turned into such a shitshow, but the only LRG Switch title I've purchased is Golf Story and I have ~10 games for it total. It'd take something really special and exclusive to get me to buy another LRG Switch game.

All that said, I do feel like Turok is one of the more hyped titles they've put out. Between the volume of  discussions and questions I've seen on it, it's clear there's a lot of interest. I'd be surprised if some of the appeal wasn't nostalgia goggles, but if people are happy or excited for the release then I'm not going to start telling them they're wrong. Not my cup of tea, but I think that says more about my tastes than the quality of the game.

The combo pack prices are something else, but I guess that's the way we're all headed now with the THQ $400 CEs that popped up a few days ago as well. I also think there's more than a little bit of fair criticism for splitting this into two releases (a la Outcast) since LRG and others have affirmed you can put multiple games on a single Switch cart and the cart size limitations aren't an issue any longer.

#24682 Dr_dreadful  

Dr_dreadful

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:26 PM

For better or for worse, my Switch is just a first-party Nintendo machine. I still prefer the PS4/Vita and the accompanying ecosystem, and I have more than enough games to keep me busy for years to come I feel. Maybe it's just collector's fatigue after the Vita turned into such a shitshow, but the only LRG Switch title I've purchased is Golf Story and I have ~10 games for it total. It'd take something really special and exclusive to get me to buy another LRG Switch game.

I'm the same way. My switch is for first party Nintendo games only. Only non first party games I own on it is golf story and danmaku. But switch has the weakest hardware, worst online experience, and so on. so I only use it for first party exclusives. I won't ever buy a cross platform game on it.

My ps4 and PC are what I use for 95% of my gaming and my switch comes in when I feel like Mario or zelda.

#24683 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9428 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:24 PM

I like playing indie games on the Switch such as Dead Cells and Slay the Spire (both highly recommended on the Switch). I do prefer the PS4 for multi platform titles because it's a more powerful system, although some like Dragon Quest Builders 2 I choose the Switch because I prefer that portable (though there is slowdown at times). Also VNs are highly preferred on the Switch too. Everything else is PC and PS4.

#24684 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4906 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:19 PM

The Switch is my go to for Indie games, too--especially once I got one of those D pad joycon's from Hori. I just don't really want to play smaller indie games on my TV or at my PC. But with the Switch, unlike the Vita, I still retain the ability to do that--with the same game and save file--if I want to. 

#24685 bradbo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   955 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:40 PM

"THerE wAs NOthInG eLSe tO pLAy"

Literally heavy hitters on that system and the first smash. By you logic, Nintendo probably shouldn't have ported Zelda OoT and MM to the 3DS physically because there's no way that would sel- oh wait

The real junk is making a blanket statement when it seems you've never touched a n64.

I will agree $100+ for the turok games are too much though.

Bought N64 on launch day. Owned most of the titles at one point or another. Turok was overly lukewarm in reception by the big players, such as EGM when it released. I recall EGM giving it like a 6.5 and game pro was trying to sell the shit out of it for years- gave it 100% lol. I worked at Toys r Us when the game finally released after over a year of hype. We had 12-13 total N64 titles in Feb 2017 so it sold by default. Star Wars came out in December 1996 and it was impossible to find. Two months later Mario Kart then Turok a week or two after.

So ya, there was not much else to play on N64 and that absolutely allowed Turok to fill a void. Being almost 20 at the time maybe part of the reason it failed to impress me. I absolutely agree with 6.5/10 or so.

#24686 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8432 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:40 PM

Turok wasn't good.  I know because I played it back in 1997 when N64 was all the rage and it was a new release.   I remember it being the very first game where I thought to myself  "jeez this game is beyond needing a minimap/compass" as we found ourselves walking in circles through fog while looking for the next objective. 

#24687 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8432 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:42 PM

Bought N64 on launch day. Owned most of the titles at one point or another. Turok was overly lukewarm in reception by the big players, such as EGM when it released. I recall EGM giving it like a 6.5 and game pro was trying to sell the shit out of it for years- gave it 100% lol. I worked at Toys r Us when the game finally released after over a year of hype. We had 12-13 total N64 titles in Feb 2017 so it sold by default. Star Wars came out in December 1996 and it was impossible to find. Two months later Mario Kart then Turok a week or two after.

So ya, there was not much else to play on N64 and that absolutely allowed Turok to fill a void.

Yep, I, too, remember the huuuge thirst for Turok when it first came out.   Because people were craving a new type of 3D shooter game on the system. 

#24688 bradbo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   955 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:43 PM

I remember buying fukun Wayne Gretzky hockey it was so dry on the N64 front.

#24689 Jhingles  

Jhingles

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:21 PM

Turok wasn't good. I know because I played it back in 1997 when N64 was all the rage and it was a new release. I remember it being the very first game where I thought to myself "jeez this game is beyond needing a minimap/compass" as we found ourselves walking in circles through fog while looking for the next objective.

Definitely this. The game was hard as hell to navigate and really wasn't that good. I'm mostly interested for the sake of nostalgia because it was one of the first games I had on the 64. Maybe I'd suck at it less now that I have more gaming experience haha

#24690 DoubleDam21  

DoubleDam21

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:16 PM

Turok wasn't good.  I know because I played it back in 1997 when N64 was all the rage and it was a new release.   I remember it being the very first game where I thought to myself  "jeez this game is beyond needing a minimap/compass" as we found ourselves walking in circles through fog while looking for the next objective. 

I actually liked it for the 1st couple of stages then I got incredibly bored and used cheat codes to get to the main bosses with all the weapons and that was were I spent most of my time in the game.  Went to other stages but your right as there was way too many times I was running around in a circle because it either too dark or foggy to see where I was going.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: limited run games, omg so rare, ps4, vita