* * * - - 26 votes

Limited Run Games Thread - West of Loathing Pre-order opens on August 17

limited run games omg so rare ps4 vita

#19831 4tygames   Cover Guru CAGiversary!   1250 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:25 PM

I’m really looking forward to Late Shift. I loved The Bunker. I hope LRG can pick up the third game in the series too.

#19832 DoubleDam21  

DoubleDam21

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:42 PM

I’m actually really surprised that more people aren’t going for the CE. I mean yeah it seems like everything gets the CE treatment but I thought this was a highly anticipated release plus the CE has a artbook, soundtrack, poster, trading cards and even a diorama. Seems like a pretty decent CE compared to some others that have been released.

#19833 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8740 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:44 PM

Agree. I may go for the PS4 version of Breaker, but I honestly don't care as much. I do have the original with DLC on PC, but for co-op (which I rarely do), I'd choose that version.

#19834 flybrione   Guitar Solo CAGiversary!   3209 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:53 PM

Picked the up the standard vita version of Phantom Breaker today.

#19835 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6388 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:54 PM

I’m actually really surprised that more people aren’t going for the CE. I mean yeah it seems like everything gets the CE treatment but I thought this was a highly anticipated release plus the CE has a artbook, soundtrack, poster and even a diorama. Seems like a pretty decent CE compared to some others that have been released.

Between NS, PS4 & Vita, you just have to be rolling in dollars to buy all this stuff. And this is just LRG, I'm not counting Play-Asia or any of these other "limited" type places(who's stuff ranges from $30-$40). I mostly stopped the CE as one of those, gets me 2-3 standard releases, and since I normally hardly ever open CE's, I just said  Fuck it to it all. Plus, those Play-Asia options are often $32 with free shipping, and includes most of the extras I would want from an CE to begin with, and I'm not breaking the bank to do so.

I've said many times in the past, I never cared if LRG had 2 games a month, or 20, as I would only get what I wanted anyways. I think in that type of case, small limited runs would still sell, as you have so many different games across so many different genres that would still appeal to the proper end users. When it comes to CE, these by nature need to be much more limited in this environment due to the cost, and at some point, they just started to become way to many, way to often. But they all still seem to sell out at some point, so more power to all those involved, but I had to get off the crazy train awhile back. LOL

#19836 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11091 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:07 PM

The only thing stopping me from Phantom Breaker is the inevitable Switch release.

You would have to wait for the middle of next year for that to happen. 

#19837 BrandonJF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   414 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

BrandonJF

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:02 PM

Between NS, PS4 & Vita, you just have to be rolling in dollars to buy all this stuff. And this is just LRG, I'm not counting Play-Asia or any of these other "limited" type places(who's stuff ranges from $30-$40). I mostly stopped the CE as one of those, gets me 2-3 standard releases, and since I normally hardly ever open CE's, I just said  Fuck it to it all. Plus, those Play-Asia options are often $32 with free shipping, and includes most of the extras I would want from an CE to begin with, and I'm not breaking the bank to do so.

I've said many times in the past, I never cared if LRG had 2 games a month, or 20, as I would only get what I wanted anyways. I think in that type of case, small limited runs would still sell, as you have so many different games across so many different genres that would still appeal to the proper end users. When it comes to CE, these by nature need to be much more limited in this environment due to the cost, and at some point, they just started to become way to many, way to often. But they all still seem to sell out at some point, so more power to all those involved, but I had to get off the crazy train awhile back. LOL

Yep, I fell the same way.  A year ago I would've jumped all over that Phantom Breaker CE.  It does have the two things I care about in a CE - an art book and a soundtrack.  But, the number of games I have that I will probably never play is ridiculous and the number of CEs I have taking up space (many unopened) is out of control.  Still, had they done without the fancy box, just included the art book and soundtrack for $40, I would've jumped.  That may not have been feasable - I know they have stated why Play-Asia can get away with their pricing.  Although if NIS America just includes an art book and CD, it can be $39.99 as well, depending on the MSRP of the included game.   

Given the CE boxes we've seen lately, I do think LRG puts more value into those than I do.  But, if they are always selling out I wouldn't change a thing if I were them.

#19838 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   7103 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:55 PM

I think one time Olengie mentioned Phantom Breakers is cool.  I guess I'll pick up one of those today. 

#19839 Staind204   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2281 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:43 PM

Yep, I fell the same way. A year ago I would've jumped all over that Phantom Breaker CE. It does have the two things I care about in a CE - an art book and a soundtrack. But, the number of games I have that I will probably never play is ridiculous and the number of CEs I have taking up space (many unopened) is out of control. Still, had they done without the fancy box, just included the art book and soundtrack for $40, I would've jumped. That may not have been feasable - I know they have stated why Play-Asia can get away with their pricing. Although if NIS America just includes an art book and CD, it can be $39.99 as well, depending on the MSRP of the included game.

Given the CE boxes we've seen lately, I do think LRG puts more value into those than I do. But, if they are always selling out I wouldn't change a thing if I were them.

I have to say LRG does a nice job with CEs however this year it seems like almost every game gets one. That tactic really burnt me out on them (for example why did games like kingdom new lands and slime san get CEs). As I’ve always said though, I can’t blame them since they are selling out!

#19840 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2206 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:26 PM

What's different between Phantom Breaker  PS4 & Vita version? It's the same game or different game?

Vita version is a more basic version of the same game.  PS4 version adds:

• Couch Co-Op (upto 4 players including online)
  • New Skills Added (Triple Jump, Air Dash Attack, Shadow Attack)
  • More Enemies on Screen
  • Secret Routes
  • New Equipment that changes Out Range attack (Combine equipment)
  • New Aura Equipment that can increase EXP, Coins dropped, Atk, and Def.
  • Music Quality Upgraded

Additionally this disc version bundles in the DLC which includes two more playable characters and some alternate sound options.  These are available in the Vita version but through purchasable DLC.

Switch version, as mentioned cuts the Secret Routes from the PS4 version and the online is on hold till the online service starts (I think mid next month?). 

The only thing stopping me from Phantom Breaker is the inevitable Switch release.

I feel like for me, the Switch version is the most ideal version.  Nearly all the content of the PS4 version.... and unlike the PS4, I already have more than enough controllers to do the 4 player couch co-op.     Seems like that's the one worth waiting for (or just going digital on since it's only $10).

#19841 srocky26  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:05 PM

#19842 Tothoro  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:05 PM

It's interesting to me that something as revered as Phantom Breaker is having such a hard time selling through. I got a Vita standard this morning - the CE looked like one of their better ones, but I've been trying to cut back on my CEs lately and I've already got Dragon Quest coming early next month.

#19843 vic_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   2057 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:09 PM

You also forgot the ps4 / vita versions have trophies! :3

#19844 315Retro   Westside Wizard CAGiversary!   1195 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:31 AM

West of loathing will be the first switch game I grab from LRG. Then golf story.

#19845 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6388 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:51 AM

West of loathing will be the first switch game I grab from LRG. Then golf story.

I think this will be my 3rd & 4th releases(I'm grabbing Oxenfree that day as well), but West of Loathing will for sure be one of the few open and play on arrival titles. This game looks crazy cool, and while I don't think CE should be offered as much as they are at LRG, this is one of the few titles I would like to see a CE for, but only if it's as unique as this game appears to be.

#19846 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   474 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:55 PM

CE should have a cowboy hat

#19847 RagManX   Complete Doofus CAGiversary!   173 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:01 PM

I have a problem - I'm 100% on Switch releases. But I don't feel too bad, since I've wanted every one of them except Thumper, which I only bought because I have a problem. But I'm getting WoL, as my son loves that game, so I continue my 100% Switch order rate.

#19848 Ultraslick  

Ultraslick

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:40 AM

I have been trying my best to not spend money on more LRG releases but couldn’t resist Late Shift.

I just need a little hit every now and then to stay level.

#19849 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36580 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:40 PM

You also forgot the ps4 / vita versions have trophies! :3

But no platinum. [-(

I'm definitely in for West of Loathing on Friday.

#19850 brando05  

brando05

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:59 PM

But no platinum. [-(

I'm definitely in for West of Loathing on Friday.

Yeah, my new rule on ps4/PSV vs switch releases: ps4/psv if it has platinum. No platinum=switch for me.

#19851 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2206 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:10 PM

I don't care about trophies so I'm really looking for Switch first (portable + console = win) then Vita as often that might mean PSTV compatibility too.

I'm watching the Metal Jesus Crew Q&A from the current MoGame Con... I remember last year LRG did a panel... anyone know if they did one this year too?

#19852 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2545 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:01 PM

I try to balance it out a little bit. I'll often go PS4 if I'm looking for performance, or if there is a strong local multiplayer focus. I have four PS4 controllers, so it has a slight edge for local multiplayer, although the Switch is edging in on it in that regard. Performance is obvious. The PS4 simply has the most muscle, so graphics-intensive games are often going to get the PS4 nod for me. When Odin Sphere was announced, I couldn't pre-order the PS4 version fast enough, but still haven't bothered with a Vita copy. That is a game that was made to showcase graphics, and having it in full 1080p at 60 fps is a thing to behold.

At this point, the Vita is mainly for collecting, and occasionally for exclusive features. Surprisingly, some Vita games, especially the smaller indie titles, will occassionally get exclusive features on the Vita. I can't just ignore those. PSTV support also affects my decision, as it increases my options for playback. The Vita is rarely my go-to platform for a multi-platform release these days, but it is still hanging in there.

The Switch is an easy choice, but will get edged out in the more performance-intensive titles. It's not that odd for me to double-up between Switch and PS4 releases. For indie games that don't push graphics as much, the Switch is a shoe-in. I just knabbed Owlboy for the Switch, even though the PS4 version was on sale for $5 cheaper. The portable option is strong, and the Switch can handle pixel graphics just fine.

#19853 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   3869 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:46 PM

Looks like Sekai Project just laid off a bunch of people.

#19854 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2206 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:28 PM

Found a thread on resetera talking about this:

https://www.resetera.../#post-11433308

Pretty strange.

#19855 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   3869 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:42 PM

I hope we get Rabi-Ribi still...

#19856 Eh? What?   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   147 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:39 PM

I don't care about trophies so I'm really looking for Switch first (portable + console = win) then Vita as often that might mean PSTV compatibility too.

I'm watching the Metal Jesus Crew Q&A from the current MoGame Con... I remember last year LRG did a panel... anyone know if they did one this year too?

I watched DSKoopa's livestream from Mo, and they weren't there.

#19857 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3425 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:14 PM

I'm backing Tokyo Chronos and they said it would be unaffected. It's hard to believe that 70k wouldn't get siphoned into a struggling company but we'll see. With 7 days left  and around 14k needed to succeed I can't tell if the project has much of a chance anyway.

On another note, has there been any discussion about upping the amount steelbook quantities for some of these Switch games or doing a reprint? It sounds like these are typically gone within minutes and I just can't police the site enough.

#19858 vic_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   2057 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:45 PM

They have never reprinted anything before and have stated as a company motto at the start that they wouldn't reprint games. So that might also include not reprinting game extras.

The quantity of steelbooks would be based on the popularity of the game i guess.

#19859 vic_x51   World Warrior CAGiversary!   2057 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:47 PM

Has anything been said if senran kagura bon apatite will be receiving a CE? Or any new info really.

#19860 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11091 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:49 PM

Info Dump from the Discord

A couple of info pieces from Doug yesterday on the LRG Discord:
-- Mystery PS4/Vita game is expected to be formally announced later today.
-- October has been described as a "huge month" that's "pretty intense IMO" with a "huge horror game" and "another retro one."
-- Layers of Fear might not be a numbered release like Oceanhorn on Switch.
-- Approx. 12 more Switch games expected before the end of the year.
-- Papers, Please is looking to be a "big likely" on their side.
-- Atelier probably not happening as a result of Switch re-releases.
-- "Something of royal proportions is coming in September for PS4/Vita."
-- They still would like to try releasing some PS1 and PS2 titles.
-- They've been trying to secure XCOM on Vita and Hollow Knight though the later will likely be retail as the developer has been pushing hard for it.
-- Blaster Master on Switch likely heading to retail from another publisher.