Hastings & MovieStop Stores Closing

DNukem170

Banned
In case you don't frequent the video game thread, Hastings is closing down their brick & mortar stores as well as MovieStop. Thus, everything's on sale.

- New Movies are 25% Off
- New TV box sets are 30% Off.
- Used Movies & TV box sets are 50% Off.
- Collectibles are 30% Off.

After discount, most of their new prices are only a few bucks cheaper than Amazon, but you might be able to find some used deals.

Moviestop is closing but that doesn't mean Hastings is. The report said that they could be closing if they don't find someone to help get them stable financially. Although from the looks of it, it isn't good but still we don't know for fact that Hastings will be closed. Moviestop yes haha. But Hastings might be able to file Chapter 11 Bankruptcy and reorganize.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just at Hastings on Friday and while there are a lot of sales going on they haven't gone into liquidation mode, yet. MovieStop, though, is for sure closing and the vast majority of the stuff Hastings sold at their warehouse sale a couple weeks ago was from MovieStop. They were selling 20 DVDs/blu-rays for $10 and almost all of them had MovieStop stickers.

Hastings stores inventories are amazing.

Just too bad I don't have any in my state to take advantage of this. :*(

When the Hastings I worked at as a manager closed in 2013, I had to start driving an hour to get to the next closest one. I hope it doesn't close. I love Hastings.

I'm guessing this is why they are having a 2 for $14 sale on ALL new DVDs. This includes boxsets like all the Star Treks. That's a $1 a season! Now everything is currently OOS but it might be worth taking a look.

It's official.

[SIZE=31.5pt]Hastings to close all stores, liquidate[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]Sally Asher | Enid News & Eagle[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Bonnie Vculek | Enid News & Eagle[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]After more than a month of bankruptcy proceedings, Hastings Entertainment will close all stores by Oct. 31.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Rachel Rosenblatt, managing director of strategic communications for FTI Consulting, which manages public relations for Hastings, said the timeline to close stores, including the Enid location in Sunset Plaza, has yet to be determined.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Hilco Merchant Resources LLC and Gordon Brothers Retail Partners LLC purchased Hastings Entertainment during auction Wednesday and will oversee liquidation of the stores, according to a statement from Hastings issued Thursday morning.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]"Five weeks ago, Hastings filed for Chapter 11 protection with the goal of expediting our search for a buyer that would help us complete our remerchandising strategy and position our business for long-term success. At the completion of the sale process yesterday, the winning buyer was a joint venture that will instead oversee a liquidation of our stores to ensure we are maximizing the value of all of our remaining merchandise and assets as we prepare to close.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]"All Hastings stores, our e-Commerce business and our corporate office will all discontinue operations at the end of this process.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]"On Friday, July 22, the Bankruptcy Court is expected to approve our agreement with the companies who will oversee our store closing sales, Hilco Merchant Resources LLC and Gordon Brothers Retail Partners LLC."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The companies are authorized to advertise the move as a "store closing," "sale on everything," "going out of business" sale, according to the Amarillo Globe-News. Hastings Entertainment is headquartered in Amarillo.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Shelley Larsen, a longtime Enid Hastings customer, said she had heard the company was going out of business.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]"It's a sign of the times, honestly," she said. "People don't buy books anymore, they don't get movies. That's kind of the issue. Everyone has Kindles."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Larsen lives near Kremlin and said every time she comes to town, she tries to stop by Hastings, but isn't sure what she will do after it closes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]"We will probably go on Amazon," she said, and hopes that something similar to Hastings will take over the retail space. "We always enjoy hanging out here. I hope something else like this moves in, like a Books-A-Million or something." [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Hastings filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy June 13, citing increasing numbers of competitors and the declining demand for physical media like music, movies, books, games and rentals.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The Wall Street Journal reported Hastings’ debts included $80 million in loans, $59 million in trade bills, and in 2015, the company’s losses were $16.6 million on $401 million in revenue.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Hastings was founded in 1968 and operates 126 stores throughout the United States. In addition to Enid, Hastings has stores in Ada, Altus, Ardmore, Bartlesville, Lawton, Muskogee, Norman, Ponca City, Stillwater and Yukon.[/SIZE]

Hastings keeps sending me emails wanting me to rate the purchase I made - the one they canceled on me.

I think it's kind of lame that my options are 'yes I received this order, here's how i rate it' or 'no I didn't recieve this' and then they say "never mind, we'll try again later"

There are no Hastings near me so there's no way for me to check around and see if they've got the Shout! Factory Power Rangers and Super Sentai DVD releases. Is there anyone on the board who can help me out?

bread's done
Back