While You Buy Your Shiny New Guns to Protect Yourself, Make Sure You Take Precautions

Just like car safety people like to remind us that a collision is rarely an accident, it's usually a negligent action, the same holds true for gunfire. A lot of folks will call it an accidental discharge, but to people who do have a great track record with firearms, and do handle them with the safety they demand, they call it a negligent discharge, which is far more accurate. 

I'm not a big fan of gun to ____________ analogies because the fundamental purposes of a gun are fairly unique, but with the number of deaths and injuries in ladder falls, maybe certain height ladders shouldn't be sold, and people should clean their own gutters, or get to own an aluminum ladder, only fiberglass.  

Anyway, idiots and guns have gone together for a long time, but like most things, it's the day to day actions of the vast majority that go unnoticed. 

I wish people quit using weapons for crimes, and were safer with them to reduce negligent incidents.

Is that a serious remark?

Just like car safety people like to remind us that a collision is rarely an accident, it's usually a negligent action, the same holds true for gunfire. A lot of folks will call it an accidental discharge, but to people who do have a great track record with firearms, and do handle them with the safety they demand, they call it a negligent discharge, which is far more accurate.

I'm not a big fan of gun to ____________ analogies because the fundamental purposes of a gun are fairly unique, but with the number of deaths and injuries in ladder falls, maybe certain height ladders shouldn't be sold, and people should clean their own gutters, or get to own an aluminum ladder, only fiberglass.

Anyway, idiots and guns have gone together for a long time, but like most things, it's the day to day actions of the vast majority that go unnoticed.

I wish people quit using weapons for crimes, and were safer with them to reduce negligent incidents.
The purpose of a gun is not really that unique. It is a tool that is most often used for hunting, much like a bow and arrow or (for the braver souls) bowie knives. Your analogy with a ladder is particularly erroneous, because no part of the ladder's function is explicitly intended to kill. And please, don't bother to make the argument that guns are not necessarily intended to kill.

I am not anti-gun, but it's so generic seeing people (not just you) complain about how other people are not responsible, and this is the main cause of gun-related accidents. It's like if the answer was that simple, then why aren't more people advocating for gun education or stricter regulation? Instead, people make it an all or nothing situation, to where if there's any regulation, it's an imposition on our freedoms, or if there is any presence of guns, it is a threat to our safety. We need more moderates willing to consider the details, not generic, half-hearted generalizations. It's like everyone "knows" this is the problem, but all they really want to do is complain about it and make it easier to blame the unpredictability of human nature.

I agree that 99% of gun-related "accidents" are the cause of negligence. But that is totally separate from guns being used intentionally in crime. If a person has the intent to kill another, they'll do it whether they are using a gun, knife, whatever. Guns make the task infinitely easier, though, by allowing a person to kill from a distance, which in many senses requires much less commitment to the task than say stabbing someone.

Also, the idea that most people who own a gun don't know how to use them is pretty dumb. I live in the South, and by extension, I live near a LOT of under-educated, close-minded people. But one thing 90% of people here know how to do is handle a gun. Ironically, the fact that guns are much more prevalent around here makes their safety a more prominent concern (I actually took a hunter's safety course as an elective credit towards my associate's, which I didn't even initially think possible).

Switzerland has some of the lowest gun related crime, and gun related injuries for over a decade in the world. Yet they have mandatory gun ownership and citizens are provided guns and ammo.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21379912

So the problem isn't with guns. They are an inanimate object.

The problem with accidental shootings is because no one is trained properly. Our society doesn't treat anyone respect or show respect, we don't teach people to be smarter or responsible either. We blow everything off and blame the boogeyman when something bad happens.

The problem with gun related crime is our shitty society. Because while Switzerland has high gun ownership they also have some of the highest European employment rates, excellent health care, great education systems, and overall very happy citizens. The fact the country is so well run and maintained (Jesus they even brought down a defunct satellite they owned so it didn't create space trash) that the people don't resort to gun violence much, if at all.

Our society though treats people like shit and they in turn treat eachother like shit and the answer to when the guns come out? Gun control. Not trying to make our society better like it should be.

So you want to see gun related crime and accidents decrease? Make our society better, but no one wants to do that because it takes an open mind and effort. All we want to do is eat cheese burgers, get on social media, and sit on our asses trying to figure out which emojis best suit our hatred for what one person said we don't even know on their Facebook profile that lives 2000 miles away.

they are right about one thing - a group of traders as a whole making predictions do in fact come out right more times than wrong, at least when compared to expert opinion. That said.....who gets paid to come up with this shit?????

It is a problem that a lot of people have guns and have no idea how to properly use them. Guns are not for everyone, but they should not be taken from everyone also. The best thing is to go get trained to use one if you want to. I have been around guns all my life and I never saw injuries caused by guns because my father was responsible and we only used guns when we were going hunting. Now I am teaching my son about guns and I know that he will be responsible I bought him a new scope for his birthday and it is really great. He can connect it to his phone and take videos with it. You can visit site to check it out and maybe buy it for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back