Declining benefit to cost ratio of going to college

steve_k

CAGiversary!
It seems the cost of attending any major university continues to increase while starting salaries for recent college graduates continue to decrease. I spoke  with a human resource professional a couple of weeks ago. She reported it is very common for recent college graduates in 2016 to accept positions that pay no more than a Starbucks crew member position where I live in Houston, Texas. She was referring to graduates who majored in accounting, finance, and engineering from well-known schools like Texas A&M and The University of Texas. These are usually deemed the more lucrative majors.

I attend a networking seminar each work for unemployed people. There are about 400 people who attend each week, and of them, roughly 80% have a bachelors degree or higher in combination with up to 30 years professional experience in their fields. None of them can find work. These are engineers, accountants, CPAs, and even a few Ph.D. holders. The current job market in Houston is extremely competitive.

Has anyone else made the same observation? College tuition and fees continue to rise while starting entry-level positions continuously drop lower and lower. I understand major and location make a huge difference. I am assuming finance, accounting, and engineering majors and have only been able to make observations in Houston, Texas.

I live/work in Houston and graduated from A&M-SA.

I have a MBA with a concentration in Finance and I cannot say that the starting salary is lower or declining for Finance.

Accounting has been low and going lower due to influx of software from what I have observed.

If people are accepting low pay (32K is roughly what I understand a Starbuck Crew Member makes) I would presume the amount of people having BA or higher is causing wages to start lower.  BA is the new HS Diploma.

Getting a Bachelors of Arts degree definetly has a low benefit of cost ratio.

The STEM field is booming, a Bachelors of Science degree is the only thing worth getting during ones undergrad.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/06/23/education/in-college-turmoil-signs-of-a-changed-relationship-with-students.html?smid=fb-share&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com

Article in nytimes today - talks a bit about some stuff that is causing tuition hikes. The growing (bloating...) number of "administrators" who make large six figure salaries can also be considered a major contributing factor to tuition hikes. But certainly not the pittance a college professor gets. Seems to be a bubble here - that's been slowly growing and appears to be picking up it's pace.

Really just depends on your career field. Doctors, lawyers, CPAs, etc will always have work and good pay. You might have to move to get a job if your area sucks or is highly competitive but jobs can be had. Teachers, journalists, lesser medical jobs, etc different story. I guess this goes back to the others as I'm sure if you're willing to relocate practically anywhere jobs in those fields can be found but those are the types many go for and you see end up abandoning or being out of work with a degree.

bread's done
Back