MOST Red Dead Redemption DLC is FREE on Xbox Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpraykwoN

CAGiversary!
Feedback
454 (100%)
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07/08/most-red-dead-redemption-dlc-currently-free-on-xbox-one

Also, does anyone know if you have the disc version of RDR, and you install that 7.5GB patch, do you still need the disc to run the game or can you run it without it?  I bought that shit digitally yesterday and if it turns out I didn't need to, I am going to be pissed lol.

EDIT: The Deadly Assassin Outfit, which used to be a Gamestop Exclusive in the Red Dead Redemption Gamestop Special Edition, is also available to purchase for $1.  Wanted to throw that in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you install the game on your :xb1: from a disc copy, then you will need the disc in the console to play the game (just like all other disc-based games on :xb1:).  The fact that the game is on sale the same time it goes BC is a great thing. :)

If you install the game on your :xb1: from a disc copy, then you will need the disc in the console to play the game (just like all other disc-based games on :xb1:). The fact that the game is on sale the same time it goes BC is a great thing. :)
I had read, and I may have misinterpreted it, that the update needed is basically the whole game and I even read that users would basically get a free digital copy when they inserted the disc. That is why I was curious.

I had read, and I may have misinterpreted it, that the update needed is basically the whole game and I even read that users would basically get a free digital copy when they inserted the disc. That is why I was curious.
It is the entire game - You still need the disc in the drive in order to play it. The BC version of any disc-based XB1 game will require the disc, the only time you don't need it is if you actually own and download the digital version.

So if you put a disc in and it installs, you need the disc in to play it. If you buy it digitally, you don't. They didn't want people to do things like buy a game, install, return (or give it to friends, etc).

It is the entire game - You still need the disc in the drive in order to play it. The BC version of any disc-based XB1 game will require the disc, the only time you don't need it is if you actually own and download the digital version.

So if you put a disc in and it installs, you need the disc in to play it. If you buy it digitally, you don't. They didn't want people to do things like buy a game, install, return (or give it to friends, etc).
Yea I knew that, I just had read otherwise. Glad I spent the $7 then lol.

Beat this on PS3 back in the day, one of my all time fav games... so tempted to do this on xbone.

and I have $50 in credit still...  backlog...  :wall:

For some reason, when you look up the Undead Nightmare add-on on the Xbox ONE, it comes up as $19.99.  When viewed on the Xbox 360, it comes up as $9.99.

So, I would suggest just buying it on the 360 and download it on the ONE.

For some reason, when you look up the Undead Nightmare add-on on the Xbox ONE, it comes up as $19.99. When viewed on the Xbox 360, it comes up as $9.99.

So, I would suggest just buying it on the 360 and download it on the ONE.
There's two, one with just Undead Nightmare at 9.99 and one with Undead Nightmare and the other DLC, which is now free, at 19.99 so if you want to spend 10 more bucks for free content, have at it.

Undead Nightmare Pack - 9.99 - http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Undead-Nightmare-Pack/b2fc40b9-9697-4bde-8e65-25ab08cff080

The Undead Nightmare Collection combines the Undead Nightmare Pack, Liars and Cheats Pack & Legends and Killers Pack. - 19.99 - http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Undead-Nightmare-Collection/95a7d99c-7764-40aa-985a-47038ed79d95

There's two, one with just Undead Nightmare at 9.99 and one with Undead Nightmare and the other DLC, which is now free, at 19.99 so if you want to spend 10 more bucks for free content, have at it.

Undead Nightmare Pack - 9.99 - http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Undead-Nightmare-Pack/b2fc40b9-9697-4bde-8e65-25ab08cff080

The Undead Nightmare Collection combines the Undead Nightmare Pack, Liars and Cheats Pack & Legends and Killers Pack. - 19.99 - http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Undead-Nightmare-Collection/95a7d99c-7764-40aa-985a-47038ed79d95
Good catch.

the GOTY eddition (disc) already contains all the DLC currently free on Xbox live correct?
Correct. The Golden Guns, War Horse, and Assassin's Outfit might not be on there though.

Forgot to add Undead Nightmare is not free.

I hadn't heard that, do you have any links or was it a discussion somewhere on CAG?

Liars and Cheats was the only DLC I didn't get. I was holding off on buying the BC version because I would have to get that to justify purchasing the game as part of the Ultimate Sale.

I just purchased a copy with the Ultimate Sale.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07/08/most-red-dead-redemption-dlc-currently-free-on-xbox-one

Also, does anyone know if you have the disc version of RDR, and you install that 7.5GB patch, do you still need the disc to run the game or can you run it without it? I bought that shit digitally yesterday and if it turns out I didn't need to, I am going to be pissed lol.

EDIT: The Deadly Assassin Outfit, which used to be a Gamestop Exclusive in the Red Dead Redemption Gamestop Special Edition, is also available to purchase for $1. Wanted to throw that in there.
Do not buy the Deadly Assassin's Outfit, Warehorse or the Golden guns. There all free with an latest update. https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/202427216--6-30-14-Red-Dead-Redemption-Title-Update-1-08-Notes

(Never played a 360 game on the xbone via BC, Hell rarely play the xbone...)  

2 questions:

1. how does the game look on the xbone?

2. achievements? 

Sorry, 90% of the time i'm playing something on PS4/Vita, 10% PC. Grabbed a xbone cheap and rarely even turn it on..

Anyone know if the Undead Nightmare disc works? I know for Fallout 3 GOTY if u install the game and play using the dlc disc, u can play both main game and dlc.

Anyone know if the Undead Nightmare disc works? I know for Fallout 3 GOTY if u install the game and play using the dlc disc, u can play both main game and dlc.
Undead nightmare disc installs the standalone UN expansion, and requires that disc to play. It's not add on DLC like the fallout stuff

What sucks is I got the GS version of Red Dead originally but for whatever reason it shows I don't own it so I had to pay for the outfit.

What sucks is I got the GS version of Red Dead originally but for whatever reason it shows I don't own it so I had to pay for the outfit.
The codes given out with GS copies were not standard Xbox 360 DLC codes. They actually have less digits than standard MS codes, and were input directly into an unlockables menu within the game itself. No one that bought the GS copy will see the separate assassin outfit DLC as purchased, since the outfit was unlocked in-game and not through DLC.

Also, the game was later patched and the assassin outfit, gold guns, and war horse were all given away for free. I never got codes for the gold guns or war horse, but I had access to them when I played earlier tonight, and they showed as installed even though I never bought the $1 DLC for them. If you can, you should try to get your dollar back, since that stuff is included in the game now and they really should have removed those DLC listings entirely.

Someone should add to the OP not to waste money on those.

Why do some people say they got Undead Nightmare with a regular disc? Did they all forget they bought Undead Nightmare?

Getting this free DLC makes me want to actually play the game this weekend. Somehow, I remember starting it, but I can't remember any specific details about the game and there was a save file on my 360 when I checked earlier. But I'm going to give it another try.

Yea I knew that, I just had read otherwise. Glad I spent the $7 then lol.
I installed my brother's vanilla copy of RDR yesterday and this actually did work without the disc for me. I just tried again now without the disc and it is still working, although since it is a known issue I'll bet it gets patched soon. Who knows. But to anyone interested in saving $7 right now just try installing a friend's copy of the game or buying and returning a used copy to gamestop (power2theplayers).

Can you earn the achievements when playing the game on the xbox one is the question.

Again, I think i've turned the xbox one on by accident a few months ago... last time it has been on. (Probably have a few updates to install) Outside of Forza 5 I haven't played anything on it or even read anything on the BC aspect of the system. I really know next to nothing about the backwards compatibility, except that it can run some 360 games.

RDR on xbox one is the first game i've seen (BC, or even an upcoming or current game) that is tempting me to even turn on the xbox.

Can you earn the achievements when playing the game on the xbox one is the question.

Again, I think i've turned the xbox one on by accident a few months ago... last time it has been on. (Probably have a few updates to install) Outside of Forza 5 I haven't played anything on it or even read anything on the BC aspect of the system. I really know next to nothing about the backwards compatibility, except that it can run some 360 games.

RDR on xbox one is the first game i've seen (BC, or even an upcoming or current game) that is tempting me to even turn on the xbox.
Yes, you earn achievements just like you were playing on an Xbox 360.

Just a heads up to anyone that might hate the default horse controls, go into the menu and change the controls from "horse relative" to "camera relative".

so... Decided to go ahead and grab RDR again.

You cannot currently buy any Xbox 360 content on xbox.com using your account balance
fuck you MS. Making me dig out the 360 (good thing i *didn't* sell it like I planned..) plug it in and find a Cat5 cable long enough to get it online, and start the maybe 2+ year old update... again, fuck you MS.

odd though.. I had $30 in credit already on the account... no idea where it came from. I bought some Lego dimensions from their online store, and had credit applied to my account the same day? Was this some promo MS did to match funds or something?

had a $10 and a $20 credit, I made two purchases.. one for about $23, and another for $35. Credits applied same day. :whistle2:k

I'll take the credit.. but the whole can't use credit on their website is pure :bs:

I installed my brother's vanilla copy of RDR yesterday and this actually did work without the disc for me. I just tried again now without the disc and it is still working, although since it is a known issue I'll bet it gets patched soon. Who knows. But to anyone interested in saving $7 right now just try installing a friend's copy of the game or buying and returning a used copy to gamestop (power2theplayers).
Goddamnit......knew I should have installed it before I bought the digital one. I wonder if MS will refund me the 7 bucks....

Damn I still have the disc from years ago plus I bought the digital copy for the 360 as well. So M$ can't allow backwards compatibility to the digital version of the game like they have with EVERY other BC title?

349.gif

so... Decided to go ahead and grab RDR again.

fuck you MS. Making me dig out the 360 (good thing i *didn't* sell it like I planned..) plug it in and find a Cat5 cable long enough to get it online, and start the maybe 2+ year old update... again, fuck you MS.

odd though.. I had $30 in credit already on the account... no idea where it came from. I bought some Lego dimensions from their online store, and had credit applied to my account the same day? Was this some promo MS did to match funds or something?

had a $10 and a $20 credit, I made two purchases.. one for about $23, and another for $35. Credits applied same day. :whistle2:k

I'll take the credit.. but the whole can't use credit on their website is pure :bs:
It's unfortunately been like this since summer 2013. Major Nelson mentions it in his backwards compatibility guide so I'm pretty sure it's by design.

I have the 2-disc GOTY version and I have to put the disc(s) in in order to play.
But it does work? I couldn't remember what the deal was with the BC for this game and tried to download it on my XB1 last night. It seemed every other BC game that I owned and had played on disc on my 360 was automatically added to my Downloads List, except RDR. But I have the GotY version. So you're saying I can put the discs in my XB1 and play it that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back