* * * - - 4 votes

Pokemon Go

#1 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2105 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:53 AM

Who all here is playing?

I've never seen anything quite like it - there are people playing everywhere I go.  Pretty awesome.

#2 RoytheRobot   El Piraguero. CAGiversary!   2551 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

RoytheRobot

Posted 09 July 2016 - 04:30 AM

I'm not playing. Can't even download since my phone is a piece of crap.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

#3 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2105 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:59 PM

That's too bad.  Though it's often possible to install it even if the Play Store claims your device is incompatible, so long as you're running Android 4.4+.  That was the case for me.

There's a PokeStop near my house, a tiny park that previously barely anyone even knew was there, and now I keep seeing people popping in and out of it all day.  There's another bigger park nearby, serving as a gym, that's always significantly more populated now, too.  Feels like half of the entire 20-something demographic is playing now.

#4 theemadgamer   SILENCE! I keel you! CAGiversary!   1088 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

theemadgamer

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:08 PM

Costco and SAMS are both target rich environments, inside and out.

Have two gyms and a pokestop near my house.  Also, a cemetery that appears to have a dozen pokestops nearby, seems creepy but might check it out tomorrow.

#5 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2105 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:45 AM

Costco and SAMS are both target rich environments, inside and out.

I've been hearing about department stores being rich in Pokemon for some reason and thought it was a joke at first.  Going to have to try that out. :)

#6 AdvOfJet   Brotherhood of Darkness CAGiversary!   1624 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:50 PM

Ugh this the game is so bare bones and devoid of what real Pokemon games are all about .... but some for damn reason I can't stop playing  :whee:  . Nice to see them talking about adding in trading and player battles in a future update though. 

The only thing I don't understand is how some people are getting such powerful Pokemon so quickly. Every Gym in my town is being held by a Pokemon with a CP of at least 600 already. Its not like you can buy Candy and Stardust to power them up. 

So far the most I have been able to manage is a 213CP Raticate and a 210 Pinsir. Eventually I am going to have to get rid of my army of 90 Pidgeys too  O:)

It was interesting as well, last night I was walking around the grounds in my apartment complex and there were sooo many people out hunting Pokemon. It really was interesting seeing something that so many people are out and about doing. 

#7 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2105 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:10 AM

The only thing I don't understand is how some people are getting such powerful Pokemon so quickly. Every Gym in my town is being held by a Pokemon with a CP of at least 600 already. Its not like you can buy Candy and Stardust to power them up. 

Yeah it's pretty crazy; I've even seen one level 17 player already.

#8 Donken   President & CEO CAGiversary!   3436 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:48 AM

Brought my kids to the park tonight and there was at least 20 people walking around playing it. Young and old. There is about 4 poke stops at it and a Gym where a level 12 guy is guarding it for the yellow team. We joined the blue team.

#9 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14053 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:20 PM

In a town of 12,000, I've seen a large number of people congregating around the seven or so PokeStop's in the town square area.  (Two Gym's right there, too.) 

As to how people are getting high level Pokemon already?  Most of them are likely coming from Eggs.  The 10km walk ones are usually pretty high/strong Pokemon.  Plus, when hatched from an Egg, they usually have around 20 candies with them (so you can immediately power them up further).

Also, some are just random rares.  We caught a Vileplume that was in town, and it's CP was nearly 700 when caught.  When I evolved my Eevee, it was an upper 600's Flareon.  Oh, and a Venomoth in our apartment was also upper 600's.

#10 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2105 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:35 PM

As to how people are getting high level Pokemon already?  Most of them are likely coming from Eggs.  The 10km walk ones are usually pretty high/strong Pokemon.  Plus, when hatched from an Egg, they usually have around 20 candies with them (so you can immediately power them up further).

Wellp, time to go hatch some eggs.

#11 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:02 AM

Saw this driving home yesterday on the freeway:

636040027774564283-pokemon-go.jpg

Loving the simple yet addictive and immersive approach of this game, I'll see how long the fascination lasts.

#12 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2105 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:26 AM

There was a Pokemon Go meetup in my city a few hours ago with easily hundreds of people.  The plan was to meet up at the park and then do a Pokemon-catching bar crawl.  Never saw anyone go into bars though along the journey, so my friends and I eventually left the group and went to some bars ourselves.  It was cool though to be part of a huuuge caravan of people walking the streets.

EqshxAW.jpg

rI8hCps.jpg

VkpZHFS.jpg

#13 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6381 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:26 PM

I posted this on the other thread:

Saw this trick on reddit, name your Eevee before you evolve to get the desire evolution:

Sparky = Jolteon

Rainer = Vaporeon

Pyro = Flareon

You can change the name anytime. 

#14 HelloooNurse  

HelloooNurse

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:54 AM

Does that actually work though? Or is it just another "Mew under the truck" rumor? Guess I'll spend the candies just to find out. I mean, what are the chances that it'll work for all 3 without there being some trick to it, right?

#15 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6381 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:42 PM

I wouldn't post something that I didn't try first, It worked for me. Make sure you capitalize the first letter. Apparently those names are trainers from the pokemon tv shows.

#16 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14053 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:46 PM

It worked for us one time (1/1)...we're going to keep trying when we have more to evolve.

#17 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2105 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:58 PM

One tip I've heard that I wish I'd known about earlier:

Save your dust, i.e. don't power any of your Pokemon up until you're around level 20 or so.  There are two reasons for this: 1. the Pokemon you catch at high levels will easily outclass any that you power up now, and 2. dust becomes much harder to get somewhere in the level 10-15 range and up, because it becomes very common for Pokemon you encounter to break out of Pokeballs a few times.  Level 20 seems to be a safe time to use them, because the experience curve is currently so steep that you're not going to be leveling up much more at that point.

#18 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8692 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:41 PM

Ok so I live in basically what is a highly rural area and the nearest pokestop is probably a 5-10 minute drive at the least. Does anyone have strategies I can take without having to drive everywhere to play this. It would be more of a pain in the ass for me.

#19 kube00   Keeping in Cheap since 2005 CAGiversary!   10609 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:11 PM

One tip I've heard that I wish I'd known about earlier:

Save your dust, i.e. don't power any of your Pokemon up until you're around level 20 or so. There are two reasons for this: 1. the Pokemon you catch at high levels will easily outclass any that you power up now, and 2. dust becomes much harder to get somewhere in the level 10-15 range and up, because it becomes very common for Pokemon you encounter to break out of Pokeballs a few times. Level 20 seems to be a safe time to use them, because the experience curve is currently so steep that you're not going to be leveling up much more at that point.

Wish I would have known this

#20 io   ... Super Moderators   24698 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:26 PM

I posted this on the other thread:

Saw this trick on reddit, name your Eevee before you evolve to get the desire evolution:

Sparky = Jolteon

Rainer = Vaporeon

Pyro = Flareon

You can change the name anytime. 

Does that actually work though? Or is it just another "Mew under the truck" rumor? Guess I'll spend the candies just to find out. I mean, what are the chances that it'll work for all 3 without there being some trick to it, right?

I hope this does work.  I have evolved 3 Eevee's (before I know about this) and all three have become Flarions.  Meanwhile my daughter just did her first two yesterday and got both of the other ones :bomb:.  I just named my next two Eevee's in line Sparky and Rainer so we'll see how it goes once I collect enough candy.

Wish I would have known this

Same here - I use mine all the time and I'm just level 13 now.  I guess I can start saving it now.

So this is kind of funny.  I'm a total cheapass and won't even pay 99 cents for more Pokeballs if I need them.   But it is near time for my second son to get a cell phone (he's 13).  The rest of us are still on iPhone 5s's which are on their last legs (this game just KILLS the batteries on those things).  I'd normally have waited till the iPhone 7 came out before signing him up (and upgrading the rest of us) but he is the big Pokémon player in the house (I ask him about all the evolutions/attacks and such and he knows it all).  So I'm paying full price (spread over 24 months via TMobile) for a 6s for him so he can start playing right away.  So very un-CAG of me...  On the plus side, I had just decided to switch to TMobile and the very next day they announced their promo where Pokémon Go data doesn't count against your LTE data cap.  So yay.  (And keeping this on topic since this is the Android forum, my oldest son, who has to be the rebel in the family, is switching to a Galaxy S7).

#21 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14053 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:51 PM

We're now like 5/5 on the nickname Eevee thing. I've watched friends (and myself) get what they needed from it.

Kinda makes me excited for more obscure secrets (if any) in this game.

I saw Wartortle for the first time yesterday. Pulled over and so did my friends in the car behind me.

Everyone caught him...except me. Broke out of two Great Balls and ran. >.<

#22 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2105 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:13 AM

So this is kind of funny.  I'm a total cheapass and won't even pay 99 cents for more Pokeballs if I need them.   But it is near time for my second son to get a cell phone (he's 13).  The rest of us are still on iPhone 5s's which are on their last legs (this game just KILLS the batteries on those things).  I'd normally have waited till the iPhone 7 came out before signing him up (and upgrading the rest of us) but he is the big Pokémon player in the house (I ask him about all the evolutions/attacks and such and he knows it all).  So I'm paying full price (spread over 24 months via TMobile) for a 6s for him so he can start playing right away.  So very un-CAG of me...  On the plus side, I had just decided to switch to TMobile and the very next day they announced their promo where Pokémon Go data doesn't count against your LTE data cap.  So yay.  (And keeping this on topic since this is the Android forum, my oldest son, who has to be the rebel in the family, is switching to a Galaxy S7).

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who bought a new phone for this game. :)  I was getting a little worried about the rumors of sideloaded installations eventually going to result in bans (my Galaxy Note II supported the game, but the Play Store didn't think it would, so it wouldn't allow me to install it the normal way), so I upgraded to a newer phone.  Also switched phone carriers from Ting to Cricket in order to get better data reception while playing.

#23 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7667 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:15 AM

I got a flat tire the other day Poke-Hunting hahah Not due to negligence but pulled me down a poopy road. There was a Poke-Stop at these softball fields and so I pulled in to the gravel road where on the right all of the traffic horses were knocked in the road, lining it and cutting the width of the road down to literally two cars MAX. There were a bunch of people leaving and so it was really tight, not to mention all the little kids running around since clearly a couple games just ended there. I saw a glint on the ground like last possible second but I couldn't really move and could barely make out what it was and just kept going anyway. After that I went straight home which was all of like a minute or so away and the next day when I went to hop in the car, BAM flat tire on the front right where I thought I saw a nail or something.

Poop.

#24 io   ... Super Moderators   24698 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:40 AM

First attempt at Eevee naming worked!  After my 3 straight Flarion via random evolving, my one named Rainer turned into a Vaporeon.  And he instantly became my second highest CP at 933 (after my kick-ass 999 Snorlax - I cleared a level 5 gym with just him the other day).

And while I was at Target returning the Disney Infinity figures that didn't ring up with Cartwheel (because I bought more than 4), an Ivysaur showed up at Customer Service!  I definitely couldn't pass that up since the starter Pokes are so hard to find and I can now skip one level of evolving for this one (just need 82 more Bulbasaur candy!).

#25 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2105 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:15 AM

Teamed up with another guy to take down a level 7 gym on a park trail just now.  Man, that took forever-- about an hour worth of battling over and over again to take it over.

The weird part is that as soon as we captured the gym, some girl who was also on the red team immediately started training the gym up and put in a Pokemon of her own to help us defend it.  We never saw her, and I didn't see any houses or cars nearby, so I'm imagining some girl standing in the trees at this park watching us battle for an hour so that she can throw in a Pokemon.  At least she could have helped during the hard work.  Pretty spooky. :P

#26 io   ... Super Moderators   24698 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:46 AM

Teamed up with another guy to take down a level 7 gym on a park trail just now.  Man, that took forever-- about an hour worth of battling over and over again to take it over.

Imagine how long it took to get it to level 7 - you destroyed someone's hard work ;).   I felt bad the other day taking down that level 5 gym.  I tried levelling up a gym once and it seemed like it got so little exp even at rank 3 that it wasn't worth the trouble since someone would just take it in minutes anyway.

My daughter and I just got back from a walk where we took over 2 gyms to get our 20 coins for the day.  A guy rode in on his bike and started taking the second back almost immediately.  It was kind of funny because it took him a long time to beat our 2 guys and I heard him muttering various curses as he was battling.  I had just tossed some low level Pinsir in there too - not nearly my best guy.  But we already had our coins so whatever.  Not 5 minutes later the yellow team had taken it from him anyway.

#27 kube00   Keeping in Cheap since 2005 CAGiversary!   10609 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:41 AM

Imagine how long it took to get it to level 7 - you destroyed someone's hard work ;).   I felt bad the other day taking down that level 5 gym.  I tried levelling up a gym once and it seemed like it got so little exp even at rank 3 that it wasn't worth the trouble since someone would just take it in minutes anyway.

My daughter and I just got back from a walk where we took over 2 gyms to get our 20 coins for the day.  A guy rode in on his bike and started taking the second back almost immediately.  It was kind of funny because it took him a long time to beat our 2 guys and I heard him muttering various curses as he was battling.  I had just tossed some low level Pinsir in there too - not nearly my best guy.  But we already had our coins so whatever.  Not 5 minutes later the yellow team had taken it from him anyway.

All the Gyms close to me and ruled by pretty strong people. I tried to take one this week and lost...I'll try another that's a little off the beaten path. 

#28 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:46 PM

(this game just KILLS the batteries on those things)

cad-20160718-01d53.png

#29 HelloooNurse  

HelloooNurse

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:10 AM

Hahaha, guess the biker was steamed that you took his gym. Today I waited while Yellow team guy took down a level 5 Red gym, only to take it for Blue after he left. XD

Btw, I thought you had to hold a gym for 21 hours (or something) to get coins. Are you also supposed to get coins for taking over gyms?

EDIT: Oh and my "Sparky" evolved into a Jolteon. It's gotta be a thing.

#30 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7667 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:33 PM

Hahaha, guess the biker was steamed that you took his gym. Today I waited while Yellow team guy took down a level 5 Red gym, only to take it for Blue after he left. XD

Btw, I thought you had to hold a gym for 21 hours (or something) to get coins. Are you also supposed to get coins for taking over gyms?

EDIT: Oh and my "Sparky" evolved into a Jolteon. It's gotta be a thing.

All you have to do is either take it over or toss a Pokemon at a preexisting gym and then you can claim the rewards. It basically is you can claim rewards from gyms once every 24 hours and so if all you know you will do is leave a pokemon at a single gym, then go ahead and claim the rewards right away and then if you are lucky enough to still have it there the next day at that time, you can claim it again.

Nothing I have ever done has lasted a full day.. hah