Pokemon Go

That's too bad.  Though it's often possible to install it even if the Play Store claims your device is incompatible, so long as you're running Android 4.4+.  That was the case for me.

There's a PokeStop near my house, a tiny park that previously barely anyone even knew was there, and now I keep seeing people popping in and out of it all day.  There's another bigger park nearby, serving as a gym, that's always significantly more populated now, too.  Feels like half of the entire 20-something demographic is playing now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Costco and SAMS are both target rich environments, inside and out.

Have two gyms and a pokestop near my house.  Also, a cemetery that appears to have a dozen pokestops nearby, seems creepy but might check it out tomorrow.

Ugh this the game is so bare bones and devoid of what real Pokemon games are all about .... but some for damn reason I can't stop playing  :whee:  . Nice to see them talking about adding in trading and player battles in a future update though. 

The only thing I don't understand is how some people are getting such powerful Pokemon so quickly. Every Gym in my town is being held by a Pokemon with a CP of at least 600 already. Its not like you can buy Candy and Stardust to power them up. 

So far the most I have been able to manage is a 213CP Raticate and a 210 Pinsir. Eventually I am going to have to get rid of my army of 90 Pidgeys too  O:)

It was interesting as well, last night I was walking around the grounds in my apartment complex and there were sooo many people out hunting Pokemon. It really was interesting seeing something that so many people are out and about doing. 

The only thing I don't understand is how some people are getting such powerful Pokemon so quickly. Every Gym in my town is being held by a Pokemon with a CP of at least 600 already. Its not like you can buy Candy and Stardust to power them up.
Yeah it's pretty crazy; I've even seen one level 17 player already.

Brought my kids to the park tonight and there was at least 20 people walking around playing it. Young and old. There is about 4 poke stops at it and a Gym where a level 12 guy is guarding it for the yellow team. We joined the blue team.

In a town of 12,000, I've seen a large number of people congregating around the seven or so PokeStop's in the town square area.  (Two Gym's right there, too.) 

As to how people are getting high level Pokemon already?  Most of them are likely coming from Eggs.  The 10km walk ones are usually pretty high/strong Pokemon.  Plus, when hatched from an Egg, they usually have around 20 candies with them (so you can immediately power them up further).

Also, some are just random rares.  We caught a Vileplume that was in town, and it's CP was nearly 700 when caught.  When I evolved my Eevee, it was an upper 600's Flareon.  Oh, and a Venomoth in our apartment was also upper 600's.

As to how people are getting high level Pokemon already? Most of them are likely coming from Eggs. The 10km walk ones are usually pretty high/strong Pokemon. Plus, when hatched from an Egg, they usually have around 20 candies with them (so you can immediately power them up further).
Wellp, time to go hatch some eggs.

Saw this driving home yesterday on the freeway:

636040027774564283-pokemon-go.jpg

Loving the simple yet addictive and immersive approach of this game, I'll see how long the fascination lasts.

There was a Pokemon Go meetup in my city a few hours ago with easily hundreds of people.  The plan was to meet up at the park and then do a Pokemon-catching bar crawl.  Never saw anyone go into bars though along the journey, so my friends and I eventually left the group and went to some bars ourselves.  It was cool though to be part of a huuuge caravan of people walking the streets.

EqshxAW.jpg

rI8hCps.jpg

VkpZHFS.jpg

I posted this on the other thread:

Saw this trick on reddit, name your Eevee before you evolve to get the desire evolution:

Sparky = Jolteon

Rainer = Vaporeon

Pyro = Flareon

You can change the name anytime. 

Does that actually work though? Or is it just another "Mew under the truck" rumor? Guess I'll spend the candies just to find out. I mean, what are the chances that it'll work for all 3 without there being some trick to it, right?

I wouldn't post something that I didn't try first, It worked for me. Make sure you capitalize the first letter. Apparently those names are trainers from the pokemon tv shows.

One tip I've heard that I wish I'd known about earlier:

Save your dust, i.e. don't power any of your Pokemon up until you're around level 20 or so.  There are two reasons for this: 1. the Pokemon you catch at high levels will easily outclass any that you power up now, and 2. dust becomes much harder to get somewhere in the level 10-15 range and up, because it becomes very common for Pokemon you encounter to break out of Pokeballs a few times.  Level 20 seems to be a safe time to use them, because the experience curve is currently so steep that you're not going to be leveling up much more at that point.

Ok so I live in basically what is a highly rural area and the nearest pokestop is probably a 5-10 minute drive at the least. Does anyone have strategies I can take without having to drive everywhere to play this. It would be more of a pain in the ass for me.

One tip I've heard that I wish I'd known about earlier:

Save your dust, i.e. don't power any of your Pokemon up until you're around level 20 or so. There are two reasons for this: 1. the Pokemon you catch at high levels will easily outclass any that you power up now, and 2. dust becomes much harder to get somewhere in the level 10-15 range and up, because it becomes very common for Pokemon you encounter to break out of Pokeballs a few times. Level 20 seems to be a safe time to use them, because the experience curve is currently so steep that you're not going to be leveling up much more at that point.
Wish I would have known this

I posted this on the other thread:

Saw this trick on reddit, name your Eevee before you evolve to get the desire evolution:

Sparky = Jolteon

Rainer = Vaporeon

Pyro = Flareon

You can change the name anytime.

Does that actually work though? Or is it just another "Mew under the truck" rumor? Guess I'll spend the candies just to find out. I mean, what are the chances that it'll work for all 3 without there being some trick to it, right?
I hope this does work. I have evolved 3 Eevee's (before I know about this) and all three have become Flarions. Meanwhile my daughter just did her first two yesterday and got both of the other ones :bomb:. I just named my next two Eevee's in line Sparky and Rainer so we'll see how it goes once I collect enough candy.

Wish I would have known this
Same here - I use mine all the time and I'm just level 13 now. I guess I can start saving it now.

So this is kind of funny. I'm a total cheapass and won't even pay 99 cents for more Pokeballs if I need them. But it is near time for my second son to get a cell phone (he's 13). The rest of us are still on iPhone 5s's which are on their last legs (this game just KILLS the batteries on those things). I'd normally have waited till the iPhone 7 came out before signing him up (and upgrading the rest of us) but he is the big Pokémon player in the house (I ask him about all the evolutions/attacks and such and he knows it all). So I'm paying full price (spread over 24 months via TMobile) for a 6s for him so he can start playing right away. So very un-CAG of me... On the plus side, I had just decided to switch to TMobile and the very next day they announced their promo where Pokémon Go data doesn't count against your LTE data cap. So yay. (And keeping this on topic since this is the Android forum, my oldest son, who has to be the rebel in the family, is switching to a Galaxy S7).

We're now like 5/5 on the nickname Eevee thing. I've watched friends (and myself) get what they needed from it.

Kinda makes me excited for more obscure secrets (if any) in this game.

I saw Wartortle for the first time yesterday. Pulled over and so did my friends in the car behind me.

Everyone caught him...except me. Broke out of two Great Balls and ran. >.

So this is kind of funny. I'm a total cheapass and won't even pay 99 cents for more Pokeballs if I need them. But it is near time for my second son to get a cell phone (he's 13). The rest of us are still on iPhone 5s's which are on their last legs (this game just KILLS the batteries on those things). I'd normally have waited till the iPhone 7 came out before signing him up (and upgrading the rest of us) but he is the big Pokémon player in the house (I ask him about all the evolutions/attacks and such and he knows it all). So I'm paying full price (spread over 24 months via TMobile) for a 6s for him so he can start playing right away. So very un-CAG of me... On the plus side, I had just decided to switch to TMobile and the very next day they announced their promo where Pokémon Go data doesn't count against your LTE data cap. So yay. (And keeping this on topic since this is the Android forum, my oldest son, who has to be the rebel in the family, is switching to a Galaxy S7).
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who bought a new phone for this game. :) I was getting a little worried about the rumors of sideloaded installations eventually going to result in bans (my Galaxy Note II supported the game, but the Play Store didn't think it would, so it wouldn't allow me to install it the normal way), so I upgraded to a newer phone. Also switched phone carriers from Ting to Cricket in order to get better data reception while playing.

I got a flat tire the other day Poke-Hunting hahah Not due to negligence but pulled me down a poopy road. There was a Poke-Stop at these softball fields and so I pulled in to the gravel road where on the right all of the traffic horses were knocked in the road, lining it and cutting the width of the road down to literally two cars MAX. There were a bunch of people leaving and so it was really tight, not to mention all the little kids running around since clearly a couple games just ended there. I saw a glint on the ground like last possible second but I couldn't really move and could barely make out what it was and just kept going anyway. After that I went straight home which was all of like a minute or so away and the next day when I went to hop in the car, BAM flat tire on the front right where I thought I saw a nail or something.

Poop.

First attempt at Eevee naming worked!  After my 3 straight Flarion via random evolving, my one named Rainer turned into a Vaporeon.  And he instantly became my second highest CP at 933 (after my kick-ass 999 Snorlax - I cleared a level 5 gym with just him the other day).

And while I was at Target returning the Disney Infinity figures that didn't ring up with Cartwheel (because I bought more than 4), an Ivysaur showed up at Customer Service!  I definitely couldn't pass that up since the starter Pokes are so hard to find and I can now skip one level of evolving for this one (just need 82 more Bulbasaur candy!).

Teamed up with another guy to take down a level 7 gym on a park trail just now.  Man, that took forever-- about an hour worth of battling over and over again to take it over.

The weird part is that as soon as we captured the gym, some girl who was also on the red team immediately started training the gym up and put in a Pokemon of her own to help us defend it.  We never saw her, and I didn't see any houses or cars nearby, so I'm imagining some girl standing in the trees at this park watching us battle for an hour so that she can throw in a Pokemon.  At least she could have helped during the hard work.  Pretty spooky. :p

Teamed up with another guy to take down a level 7 gym on a park trail just now. Man, that took forever-- about an hour worth of battling over and over again to take it over.
Imagine how long it took to get it to level 7 - you destroyed someone's hard work ;). I felt bad the other day taking down that level 5 gym. I tried levelling up a gym once and it seemed like it got so little exp even at rank 3 that it wasn't worth the trouble since someone would just take it in minutes anyway.

My daughter and I just got back from a walk where we took over 2 gyms to get our 20 coins for the day. A guy rode in on his bike and started taking the second back almost immediately. It was kind of funny because it took him a long time to beat our 2 guys and I heard him muttering various curses as he was battling. I had just tossed some low level Pinsir in there too - not nearly my best guy. But we already had our coins so whatever. Not 5 minutes later the yellow team had taken it from him anyway.

Imagine how long it took to get it to level 7 - you destroyed someone's hard work ;). I felt bad the other day taking down that level 5 gym. I tried levelling up a gym once and it seemed like it got so little exp even at rank 3 that it wasn't worth the trouble since someone would just take it in minutes anyway.

My daughter and I just got back from a walk where we took over 2 gyms to get our 20 coins for the day. A guy rode in on his bike and started taking the second back almost immediately. It was kind of funny because it took him a long time to beat our 2 guys and I heard him muttering various curses as he was battling. I had just tossed some low level Pinsir in there too - not nearly my best guy. But we already had our coins so whatever. Not 5 minutes later the yellow team had taken it from him anyway.
All the Gyms close to me and ruled by pretty strong people. I tried to take one this week and lost...I'll try another that's a little off the beaten path.

Hahaha, guess the biker was steamed that you took his gym. Today I waited while Yellow team guy took down a level 5 Red gym, only to take it for Blue after he left. XD

Btw, I thought you had to hold a gym for 21 hours (or something) to get coins. Are you also supposed to get coins for taking over gyms?

EDIT: Oh and my "Sparky" evolved into a Jolteon. It's gotta be a thing.

Hahaha, guess the biker was steamed that you took his gym. Today I waited while Yellow team guy took down a level 5 Red gym, only to take it for Blue after he left. XD

Btw, I thought you had to hold a gym for 21 hours (or something) to get coins. Are you also supposed to get coins for taking over gyms?

EDIT: Oh and my "Sparky" evolved into a Jolteon. It's gotta be a thing.
All you have to do is either take it over or toss a Pokemon at a preexisting gym and then you can claim the rewards. It basically is you can claim rewards from gyms once every 24 hours and so if all you know you will do is leave a pokemon at a single gym, then go ahead and claim the rewards right away and then if you are lucky enough to still have it there the next day at that time, you can claim it again.

Nothing I have ever done has lasted a full day.. hah

Been playing for the last week or so.  I wasn't going to but my wife wanted our son to have some experience with it so he'd be able to talk to the other kids about it.  So I play alone when I'm alone and when we're with him, he handles the ball tossing and delights to the 300th captured Pidgey.  I'm only level nine and blew through a lot of stardust but... oh well.  At the time, a level 400 Beedrill seemed badass! :D

I haven't seen "massive crowds" playing the game although I've seen some groups of 15-20 people in areas where you have four or more pokestops in close proximity and everyone's been pretty relaxed.  It's nice that it's not really competitive so you can share "There's a rare over here" without it being "Bitch stole my rare".  I work out in the sticks so it's pretty dry pickings (which might be for the best) and the local small town has three gyms which go through a rotation of blue owning them in the morning when I drive through town and red seemingly taking them in the early evening -- I guess when the good red player gets home from work.  But I can pop my blues into the gyms on the way in and reap the coins later in the day before they get flipped.

But I got my 10km badge the other day and we've visited some parks we wouldn't have ever gone to before so, for having spent zero dollars on it, I can't complain.

But I got my 10km badge the other day and we've visited some parks we wouldn't have ever gone to before so, for having spent zero dollars on it, I can't complain.
Yep. This evening I'm going with 2 of my kids to a nearby town with a lake-side park. We were passing through the other day and this town was chock full of pokestops with lures on them and there were tons of water Pokémon nearby that we never see where we live. So we have an excuse to explore this place a little bit and also have some fun with the game.

Use pokevision.com to find what's in a certain area right now.  It works.  My son and I hopped in the car and went about 8 blocks away to catch an Abra which he tells me is pretty rare.

Use pokevision.com to find what's in a certain area right now. It works. My son and I hopped in the car and went about 8 blocks away to catch an Abra which he tells me is pretty rare.
A friend showed me that yesterday, and I was a little disappointed because I spent the past week working on a very similar app, which is now basically done (pending a quick bug fix). :O Oh well, guess it'll still be a good addition to my resume, and maybe I can rework it to still fit a niche. Mine has a significantly wider range, but is less accurate and timerless because the entries are crowd-sourced versus Pokevision which grabs the data directly from Niantic's servers (I had no idea Niantic has an API available to grab Pokemon locations, but I saw someone saying that it's against their ToS to use it for something like that, so who knows).

Niantic is kinda shitting on everyone right now.  Remvoing the tracker, making the "nearby" almost useless, sending C&D's to several sites (including Pokevision).  No updates on Twitter or anything.

I miss the battery saver feature already, hope it comes back in a update.  Not so much for the actual battery saving (since it eats through it fast either way), but because it effectively screen locks the phone when walking about.  Now the are pretty much forcing you to hold it out at all times, rather than just casually keeping it in your pocket.

Maybe that's just me, and I know why they removed the feature (only on iOS systems though), just venting.

My wife and I did make a purchase for coins before.  While I would be tempted to request a refund...I don't want any accounts banned.  My guess is those user's will eventually be banned, but I dunno.

Maybe that's just me, and I know why they removed the feature (only on iOS systems though), just venting.
I don't know the reason. What is it? We were travelling last week (more on that later) and connection (my cell connection that is) was really spotty. I must have clicked on the log out button by mistake when it failed to log me in once. I don't think that damn thing should exist - because of course who the hell remembers their Google password? I made mine years ago for a YouTube account. Luckily I had written it down and brought a copy of my password list with me - but it cost me hours of Pokémon hunting till I got back to the list at my hotel.

So, yeah, I'm all for anything that locks the screen and prevents mistaken button presses. I could see deleting my Chansey now with the app always open... And apparently those Chansey's my family all caught (my son got 2) are pretty damn rare. Funny, because there are plenty of other Pokémon I've never even seen in the nearby (like Seel for one).

Yea looks like a lot of people were getting refunds via Google Play or Apple
What are people asking for refunds for, exactly? The step thing has been broken for ages. Pokevision was only a temporary third-party thing. Yeah, sure, we used it and it was great, but I never expected it to last.

I was actually just about to drop some real money on this game for the first time. I finally made my first purchase using coins I got from taking over gyms. I bought a 50 slot expansion to my item box. But I think I will probably throw a few bucks into my account and my 2 kids accounts so we can all increase storage even more. In the long run that would save me time and gas money from having to make Pokeball runs through downtown whenever someone runs out.

TL:DR version of my travel/land type discussion: green are common where I live (farmland/grassland place), blue near freshwater lakes, yellow are common in Arizona, red are not anywhere in existence or at least super-rare (far more than Chansey) as far as I'm concerned.

So, back to the travel. We live in a semi-rural area where of course we get the usual Rattattas, Zubats, and Pidgeys. We also get Weedles and Caterpies all the time. And the following are pretty common too: Venonat, Oddish, Ekans, Exeggcute, Eevee, Spearow, Paras, Krabby, the two rabbits, and Bellsprout. To a lesser degree we see Horsea, Staryu, Scyther, Pinsir, Jigglypuff, Bulbasaur, Goldeen, Doduo, Gastly, Meowth, Polliwag, Rhyhorn. In our neighborhood I got a Snorlax the first few days I was playing and haven't seen one since. And my son got a Chansey at our actual house. I've seen a few others rarely like Tauros, Squirtle, Pikachu, Ponyta, Magicarp, Koffing, Psyduck.

We spent the last week in Arizona, and I was surprised at how different the spawns are there. I thought the game only differentiated between water and non-water. A nearby town has a lake and there we get all kinds of stuff we never or rarely see at home: lots of Psyducks, Goldeen, and Magikarps, occasional Dratini.

But in Arizona (both Phoenix and Tucson seemed the same) we saw TONS of Growlithe. I only ever got one of those in 3+ weeks at home. They also have lots of Geodudes (only seen a few here), Vulpix (again, just one here in weeks), Abra and Kadabra (I see them occasionally here but they are much more common in AZ), Sandshews, Cubone, Ponyta, Mankey, Diglets, and it seemed like Meowth was way more common. We also caught a few Clefairy which eluded us back home (thought we did see some on the radar).

On the other hand, even some of the super commons here like Caterpie and even Weedles were hard to come by in Arizona. We also never saw any Staryu, Scyther, Bellsprouts, Magikarps, Polliwag, and Psyducks. And Eevees, Exeggcutes, and Oddish were pretty rare there.

I've been reading a lot of Reddit threads on this game and I see very little discussion of regional Pokémon like that. It all seems to be water vs. non-water. But I find it interesting that they seem to account for different land-cover types as well. Where I live it is grassland/farmland so we get a lot of grass types with some fresh water types mixed in. In Arizona it seems to be mostly fire/ground/rock types.

And there are some Pokémon that other people claim are common that I have NEVER seen, not even on Pokevision or the radar: Magnemite, Seel, Grimer, Shellder, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Lickitung, Jynx, Electabuzz, Magmar, Lapras, Ditto, Porygom, Omanyte, Kabuto, and Aerodactyl. I left off the non-U.S. country-specific ones Kangaskhan, Farfetch'd, and Mr. Mime and legendaries like Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, and Mewtwo.

And only rarely have we seen these (mostly just on radar): Charmander, Machop (and we have 2 evolutions of this to grind for - impossible!), Tentacool (though interestingly enough I did catch a Tentacruel!), Slowpoke, Onix (seen one), Drowzee, Voltorb.

I guess several of these are seen commonly near oceans - but being landlocked that doesn't help us ;). Well, we are actually only about 2 hours from the ocean. Maybe a beach trip is in order before summer ends!

Oh, and concerning the update: damn it to hell, the least they could have done when taking away Pokevision and the step tracker was to make the nearby list update.  It is still doing that thing where it shows the same ones for 30 minutes - when we know they have despawned by now...

Edit: Going on 1 1/2 hours now with my phone sitting here at my desk with the game open and the nearby list is still the same.  Yeah, I'm sure that Abra is still there!

Edit #2: So we went out to the lake place again Weds evening and I caught a lot of Magikarp and while I found no Dratini today, I did snag a Dragonaire!  I also dropped a $15 iTunes card into my account and my son's account (bought it at Gamestop while I was looking for Pokémon plush for my littler ones).  I used it to add a few upgrades to my storage and buy an incubator since 5km eggs are the only way to get those other country exclusive spawn Pokémon.  Still have a few coins left.

I don't know the reason. What is it?

But in Arizona (both Phoenix and Tucson seemed the same) we saw TONS of Growlithe. I only ever got one of those in 3+ weeks at home. They also have lots of Geodudes (only seen a few here), Vulpix (again, just one here in weeks), Abra and Kadabra (I see them occasionally here but they are much more common in AZ), Sandshews, Cubone, Ponyta, Mankey, Diglets, and it seemed like Meowth was way more common. We also caught a few Clefairy which eluded us back home (thought we did see some on the radar).

On the other hand, even some of the super commons here like Caterpie and even Weedles were hard to come by in Arizona. We also never saw any Staryu, Scyther, Bellsprouts, Magikarps, Polliwag, and Psyducks. And Eevees, Exeggcutes, and Oddish were pretty rare there.
The reason for removing the battery saving feature is that this would cause the app to become non-responsive to any input, requiring a force quit. This probably happened around 30% of the time I used its feature for me personally.

As for the Pokemon in AZ, I can confirm all of that since I'm local, which Growlithe is probably the best common one we have. I have yet to see any Drowzee here at all, and occasionally I see a water pokemon sprout up at non-water places (Staryu, Omanyte, Kabuto, and Poliwag so far).

I've seen and caught two Magnamite so far here, only caught one each of Koffing and Ghastly, and only seen Grimer on the radar twice, not sure how I'll ever get those to evolve.

As for the shop items, I think the incubators are the best to buy, though they are expensive for only three time uses each (should be like 4 or 5 time uses for 150 pokecoins). Overall I've had the best chance of getting out of region pokemon from them, and usually they are good choices for evolves since they are close to the level of when your trainer picked up the egg at a pokestop.

They mentioned they are working on fixing the Battery Saver before they release again for iOS users.  It barely ever worked for me; would lock up as mentioned.

Drowzee are a dime a dozen around here.  Sometimes we go to the mall and see 6-8 Drowzee on screen at any one time! 

I need to get to a place with some of those fire and Rock Pokemon.  Probably my two least obtained types.

As for the shop items, I think the incubators are the best to buy, though they are expensive for only three time uses each (should be like 4 or 5 time uses for 150 pokecoins). Overall I've had the best chance of getting out of region pokemon from them, and usually they are good choices for evolves since they are close to the level of when your trainer picked up the egg at a pokestop.
I pushed my Pokémon storage up one step to 300 and my items to 500. I think that is worth it as there are times when I can collect a bunch of stops and times when I can't so that gives me a nice cushion. And I was having problems maxing my Pokémon out all the time when I was in Arizona catching a lot. Sure, I don't need to hold on to 250+, at least not now, but it is nice to have the cushion there too.

But yeah, I've also since bought 3 incubators. I have utterly failed to get one of the non-US Pokémon from a 5km - I always seem to get Psyducks from them (seriously - at least 3). But I did just get a Hitmonlee from a 10K. First time I've ever seen that,

They mentioned they are working on fixing the Battery Saver before they release again for iOS users. It barely ever worked for me; would lock up as mentioned.

Drowzee are a dime a dozen around here. Sometimes we go to the mall and see 6-8 Drowzee on screen at any one time!

I need to get to a place with some of those fire and Rock Pokemon. Probably my two least obtained types.
The battery saver is back with today's update.

Drowzees are a strange one. I did read a bit more into some reddit threads yesterday and people are saying they are super common further north - but often at the expense of Eevees. I wouldn't take that trade (as we have a lot of Eevees here). But the thing is, I live in northern Oregon so I'm pretty far north. We just don't have Drowzees here. I only get them from eggs.

We went to a small lake last night that was just an awesome spot. I had seen it reported as a Charmander nest site and sure enough we caught a few of those. But we also caught tons of Magicarp. I'm now up to 150 candy so it seems reasonable to get a Gyarados some day. Also got several Slowpoke, which I don't normally see around here and a bunch of oddball randoms. My son caught 2 Tentacruels. I got one and had one from before - and yet I've never seen a Tentacool. Odd. The lake is small - probably no more than 1km round trip (with a paved path all around) and has 7-8 Pokestops along the shore. Nearly every one of them had a lure going and there had to be 100+ people there just playing Pokémon Go. Considering how much the game has died down (at least in my small town) that was pretty shocking to see on a Sunday night (this was just yesterday - Aug 7th).

They moved the nests in my area. Went to a local park that was hot a few week ago with lots of pokemon and there was almost nothing.

I still like the game but its gonna be hard to hir lvl 20. Going out of town this weekend about an hr away and we'll see how that does

Saw my first botter/GPS spoofer (or so I assume) today.  Nearly every gym in my town is blue, so we went to a neighboring town so we could take some over (and get some other real errands done at the same time).  We kept seeing Electabuzz on the new "sightings" list and it was at a park.  It was still there when we went back 20 minutes later so I assume it is a nest - we'll have to check it out later.  We really couldn't get out and explore because it was getting late (and cold and rainy here - WTF!?) but the gym there had a level 36 guy parked in it.  From what I've read, there are very few legit players in the 30's, let alone 36.  Hell, I've been playing nearly every day since the start and I'm just at 22 now.  Granted, I haven't spent much money (and none, really, to gain exp), but 36+ is pretty extreme.  I think someone on Reddit calculated that to get into the upper 30's you'd have had to have played for 12 hours a day since launch.

Saw my first GPS spoofer today (or so I assume). Nearly every gym in my town is blue, so we went to a neighboring town. We kept seeing Electabuzz on the new "sightings" list and it was at a park. It was still there when we went back 20 minutes later so I assume it is a nest - we'll have to check it out later. We really couldn't get out and explore because it was getting late (and cold and rainy here - WTF!?) but the gym there had a level 36 guy parked in it. From what I've read, there are very few legit players in the 30's, let alone 36. Hell, I've been playing nearly every day since the start and I'm just at 22 now. Granted, I haven't spent much money (and none, really, to gain exp), but 36+ is pretty extreme. I think someone on Reddit calculated that to get into the upper 30's you'd have had to have played for 12 hours a day since launch.
Yea I know a guy I work with who has bragged about using a GPS spoofer

In other news, I know it probably doesn't seem that way, but I have actually never played a Pokémon game before this one.  I'm a little too old to have been caught up in the original craze.  And for whatever reason I've always avoided playing them even though I play lots of other Nintendo stuff and like Japanese RPG's in general.  My son has played the last few, though, and I think I'm going to start in on his old copy of Alpha Sapphire (which, unfortunately, we had erased when his younger brother wanted to play but then quickly lost interest).  At least he has Pokémon Y digitally on his 3DS and we both got the mythical pokemon download cards from Gamestop - they even gave us ones for the last promo, Darkrai.  That needs to be redeemed by the end of this month so that's why I want to start up the game soon.

And, conveniently, I had already preordered the Amazon Pokémon Sun/Moon steelbook combo on a whim (before Pokémon Go even came out)  - now that's perfect because there's one game for me and one for my son.  I can transfer stuff from Alpha Sapphire and he can transfer from his Pokémon Y.

I wonder how much of an effect Pokémon Go will have in getting peope interested in the main games again?  I had never even really considered playing it before so it definitely worked on me!

I'm just happy they started out with 1st gen, since that is the only series I ever played, so I know their names and types. Other than the ones more prominently featured in the Smash series, I don't know many from the other gens.

Happy to have the battery saver / screen locker back, means I can get some extra km out of my incubators while grocery shopping without worrying about accidentally spending my pokecoins in the shop (which has happened before).

I still like the game but its gonna be hard to hir lvl 20. Going out of town this weekend about an hr away and we'll see how that does
Getting to lvl 20 isn't too bad, just make sure you use the pidgey / caterpie / weedle farming + mass evolving with a lucky egg trick. Also, if you are running out of balls, I find it better to go for any low CP pokemon you can for certain catch in one or two throws, rather than waste half of your stock on a higher CP one. Sure, I occasionally do this if I need a high CP pokemon to evolve (or for any Eevee I find), but you still get the same 100 + bonus XP (and same amount of startdust) for any level CP pokemon you catch.

That in mind, they really should think about giving you higher XP + stardust for the harder to catch CP values, make it a bit more worth your while.

I'm in Atlanta this week and the spawns here are nearly identical to what I see in Oregon.  Beyond the usual rats, pidgeys, weedles, and caterpies, there are a decent amount of Eevees, Polliwogs, Zubats, and Venonats.   I don't seem to see as many Oddish and Exegcutes, though, as I do in Oregon.  No Drowsees either (which I haven't really seen anywhere yet except for the occasional sighting - I have only caught 1 in over a month of playing).

And there is this one ridiculous spawn point in the middle of a run down shopping center parking lot.  It is a lot like a lake we walk around in a suburb of Portland that spawns a lot of Magicarp, Psyducks, and the occasional Slowpoke and Tentacool/cruel.  Except this parking lot is nowhere near water and spawns Magicarps for days.  I got 7 in about 5 minutes just passing through it earlier today.

bread's done
Back