* * * - - 4 votes

Pokemon Go

#31 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10858 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:46 PM

Been playing for the last week or so.  I wasn't going to but my wife wanted our son to have some experience with it so he'd be able to talk to the other kids about it.  So I play alone when I'm alone and when we're with him, he handles the ball tossing and delights to the 300th captured Pidgey.  I'm only level nine and blew through a lot of stardust but... oh well.  At the time, a level 400 Beedrill seemed badass! :D

I haven't seen "massive crowds" playing the game although I've seen some groups of 15-20 people in areas where you have four or more pokestops in close proximity and everyone's been pretty relaxed.  It's nice that it's not really competitive so you can share "There's a rare over here" without it being "Bitch stole my rare".  I work out in the sticks so it's pretty dry pickings (which might be for the best) and the local small town has three gyms which go through a rotation of blue owning them in the morning when I drive through town and red seemingly taking them in the early evening -- I guess when the good red player gets home from work.  But I can pop my blues into the gyms on the way in and reap the coins later in the day before they get flipped.

But I got my 10km badge the other day and we've visited some parks we wouldn't have ever gone to before so, for having spent zero dollars on it, I can't complain.

#32 io   ... Super Moderators   24698 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:16 PM

But I got my 10km badge the other day and we've visited some parks we wouldn't have ever gone to before so, for having spent zero dollars on it, I can't complain.

Yep.  This evening I'm going with 2 of my kids to a nearby town with a lake-side park.  We were passing through the other day and this town was chock full of pokestops with lures on them and there were tons of water Pokémon nearby that we never see where we live.   So we have an excuse to explore this place a little bit and also have some fun with the game.

#33 io   ... Super Moderators   24698 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:24 PM

Use pokevision.com to find what's in a certain area right now.  It works.  My son and I hopped in the car and went about 8 blocks away to catch an Abra which he tells me is pretty rare.

#34 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2105 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:23 AM

Use pokevision.com to find what's in a certain area right now.  It works.  My son and I hopped in the car and went about 8 blocks away to catch an Abra which he tells me is pretty rare.

A friend showed me that yesterday, and I was a little disappointed because I spent the past week working on a very similar app, which is now basically done (pending a quick bug fix). :O  Oh well, guess it'll still be a good addition to my resume, and maybe I can rework it to still fit a niche.  Mine has a significantly wider range, but is less accurate and timerless because the entries are crowd-sourced versus Pokevision which grabs the data directly from Niantic's servers (I had no idea Niantic has an API available to grab Pokemon locations, but I saw someone saying that it's against their ToS to use it for something like that, so who knows).

#35 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14052 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:52 PM

Niantic is kinda shitting on everyone right now.  Remvoing the tracker, making the "nearby" almost useless, sending C&D's to several sites (including Pokevision).  No updates on Twitter or anything.

#36 kube00   Keeping in Cheap since 2005 CAGiversary!   10609 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:29 PM

Yea looks like a lot of people were getting refunds via Google Play or Apple

#37 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:22 PM

I miss the battery saver feature already, hope it comes back in a update.  Not so much for the actual battery saving (since it eats through it fast either way), but because it effectively screen locks the phone when walking about.  Now the are pretty much forcing you to hold it out at all times, rather than just casually keeping it in your pocket.

Maybe that's just me, and I know why they removed the feature (only on iOS systems though), just venting.

#38 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14052 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:52 PM

My wife and I did make a purchase for coins before.  While I would be tempted to request a refund...I don't want any accounts banned.  My guess is those user's will eventually be banned, but I dunno.

#39 io   ... Super Moderators   24698 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:25 PM

Maybe that's just me, and I know why they removed the feature (only on iOS systems though), just venting.

I don't know the reason.  What is it?  We were travelling last week (more on that later) and connection (my cell connection that is) was really spotty.  I must have clicked on the log out button by mistake when it failed to log me in once.  I don't think that damn thing should exist - because of course who the hell remembers their Google password?  I made mine years ago for a YouTube account.  Luckily I had written it down and brought a copy of my password list with me - but it cost me hours of Pokémon hunting till I got back to the list at my hotel.

So, yeah, I'm all for anything that locks the screen and prevents mistaken button presses.  I could see deleting my Chansey now with the app always open...  And apparently those Chansey's my family all caught (my son got 2) are pretty damn rare.  Funny, because there are plenty of other Pokémon I've never even seen in the nearby (like Seel for one).

Yea looks like a lot of people were getting refunds via Google Play or Apple

What are people asking for refunds for, exactly?   The step thing has been broken for ages.  Pokevision was only a temporary third-party thing.  Yeah, sure, we used it and it was great, but I never expected it to last.

I was actually just about to drop some real money on this game for the first time.  I finally made my first purchase using coins I got from taking over gyms.  I bought a 50 slot expansion to my item box.  But I think I will probably throw a few bucks into my account and my 2 kids accounts so we can all increase storage even more.  In the long run that would save me time and gas money from having to make Pokeball runs through downtown whenever someone runs out.

TL:DR version of my travel/land type discussion: green are common where I live (farmland/grassland place), blue near freshwater lakes, yellow are common in Arizona, red are not anywhere in existence or at least super-rare (far more than Chansey) as far as I'm concerned.

So, back to the travel.   We live in a semi-rural area where of course we get the usual Rattattas, Zubats, and Pidgeys.  We also get Weedles and Caterpies all the time.  And the following are pretty common too: Venonat, Oddish, Ekans, Exeggcute, Eevee, Spearow, Paras, Krabby, the two rabbits, and Bellsprout.  To a lesser degree we see Horsea, Staryu, Scyther, Pinsir, Jigglypuff, Bulbasaur, Goldeen, Doduo, Gastly, Meowth, Polliwag, Rhyhorn.   In our neighborhood I got a Snorlax the first few days I was playing and haven't seen one since.  And my son got a Chansey at our actual house.  I've seen a few others rarely like Tauros, Squirtle, Pikachu, Ponyta, Magicarp, Koffing, Psyduck.

We spent the last week in Arizona, and I was surprised at how different the spawns are there.  I thought the game only differentiated between water and non-water.  A nearby town has a lake and there we get all kinds of stuff we never or rarely see at home: lots of Psyducks, Goldeen, and Magikarps, occasional Dratini.

But in Arizona (both Phoenix and Tucson seemed the same) we saw TONS of Growlithe.  I only ever got one of those in 3+ weeks at home.  They also have lots of Geodudes (only seen a few here), Vulpix (again, just one here in weeks), Abra and Kadabra (I see them occasionally here but they are much more common in AZ), Sandshews, Cubone, Ponyta, Mankey, Diglets, and it seemed like Meowth was way more common.  We also caught a few Clefairy which eluded us back home (thought we did see some on the radar).

On the other hand, even some of the super commons here like Caterpie and even Weedles were hard to come by in Arizona.  We also never saw any Staryu, Scyther, Bellsprouts, Magikarps, Polliwag, and Psyducks.  And Eevees, Exeggcutes, and Oddish were pretty rare there.

I've been reading a lot of Reddit threads on this game and I see very little discussion of regional Pokémon like that.  It all seems to be water vs. non-water.  But I find it interesting that they seem to account for different land-cover types as well.  Where I live it is grassland/farmland so we get a lot of grass types with some fresh water types mixed in.  In Arizona it seems to be mostly fire/ground/rock types.

And there are some Pokémon that other people claim are common that I have NEVER seen, not even on Pokevision or the radar: Magnemite, Seel, Grimer, Shellder, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Lickitung, Jynx, Electabuzz, Magmar, Lapras, Ditto, Porygom, Omanyte, Kabuto, and Aerodactyl. I left off the non-U.S. country-specific ones Kangaskhan, Farfetch'd, and Mr. Mime and legendaries like Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, and Mewtwo.

And only rarely have we seen these (mostly just on radar): Charmander, Machop (and we have 2 evolutions of this to grind for - impossible!), Tentacool (though interestingly enough I did catch a Tentacruel!), Slowpoke, Onix (seen one), Drowzee, Voltorb.

I guess several of these are seen commonly near oceans - but being landlocked that doesn't help us ;).  Well, we are actually only about 2 hours from the ocean.  Maybe a beach trip is in order before summer ends!

#40 io   ... Super Moderators   24698 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:35 PM

Oh, and concerning the update: damn it to hell, the least they could have done when taking away Pokevision and the step tracker was to make the nearby list update.  It is still doing that thing where it shows the same ones for 30 minutes - when we know they have despawned by now...

Edit: Going on 1 1/2 hours now with my phone sitting here at my desk with the game open and the nearby list is still the same.  Yeah, I'm sure that Abra is still there!

Edit #2: So we went out to the lake place again Weds evening and I caught a lot of Magikarp and while I found no Dratini today, I did snag a Dragonaire!  I also dropped a $15 iTunes card into my account and my son's account (bought it at Gamestop while I was looking for Pokémon plush for my littler ones).  I used it to add a few upgrades to my storage and buy an incubator since 5km eggs are the only way to get those other country exclusive spawn Pokémon.  Still have a few coins left.

#41 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 08 August 2016 - 05:39 PM

I don't know the reason.  What is it?  

But in Arizona (both Phoenix and Tucson seemed the same) we saw TONS of Growlithe.  I only ever got one of those in 3+ weeks at home.  They also have lots of Geodudes (only seen a few here), Vulpix (again, just one here in weeks), Abra and Kadabra (I see them occasionally here but they are much more common in AZ), Sandshews, Cubone, Ponyta, Mankey, Diglets, and it seemed like Meowth was way more common.  We also caught a few Clefairy which eluded us back home (thought we did see some on the radar).

On the other hand, even some of the super commons here like Caterpie and even Weedles were hard to come by in Arizona.  We also never saw any Staryu, Scyther, Bellsprouts, Magikarps, Polliwag, and Psyducks.  And Eevees, Exeggcutes, and Oddish were pretty rare there.

The reason for removing the battery saving feature is that this would cause the app to become non-responsive to any input, requiring a force quit.  This probably happened around 30% of the time I used its feature for me personally.

As for the Pokemon in AZ, I can confirm all of that since I'm local, which Growlithe is probably the best common one we have.  I have yet to see any Drowzee here at all, and occasionally I see a water pokemon sprout up at non-water places (Staryu, Omanyte, Kabuto, and Poliwag so far).

I've seen and caught two Magnamite so far here, only caught one each of Koffing and Ghastly, and only seen Grimer on the radar twice, not sure how I'll ever get those to evolve.

As for the shop items, I think the incubators are the best to buy, though they are expensive for only three time uses each (should be like 4 or 5 time uses for 150 pokecoins).  Overall I've had the best chance of getting out of region pokemon from them, and usually they are good choices for evolves since they are close to the level of when your trainer picked up the egg at a pokestop.

#42 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14052 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

They mentioned they are working on fixing the Battery Saver before they release again for iOS users.  It barely ever worked for me; would lock up as mentioned.

Drowzee are a dime a dozen around here.  Sometimes we go to the mall and see 6-8 Drowzee on screen at any one time! 

I need to get to a place with some of those fire and Rock Pokemon.  Probably my two least obtained types.

#43 io   ... Super Moderators   24698 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:42 AM

As for the shop items, I think the incubators are the best to buy, though they are expensive for only three time uses each (should be like 4 or 5 time uses for 150 pokecoins).  Overall I've had the best chance of getting out of region pokemon from them, and usually they are good choices for evolves since they are close to the level of when your trainer picked up the egg at a pokestop.

I pushed my Pokémon storage up one step to 300 and my items to 500.  I think that is worth it as there are times when I can collect a bunch of stops and times when I can't so that gives me a nice cushion.  And I was having problems maxing my Pokémon out all the time when I was in Arizona catching a lot.  Sure, I don't need to hold on to 250+, at least not now, but it is nice to have the cushion there too.

But yeah, I've also since bought 3 incubators.  I have utterly failed to get one of the non-US Pokémon from a 5km - I always seem to get Psyducks from them (seriously - at least 3).  But I did just get a Hitmonlee from a 10K.  First time I've ever seen that,

They mentioned they are working on fixing the Battery Saver before they release again for iOS users.  It barely ever worked for me; would lock up as mentioned.

Drowzee are a dime a dozen around here.  Sometimes we go to the mall and see 6-8 Drowzee on screen at any one time! 

I need to get to a place with some of those fire and Rock Pokemon.  Probably my two least obtained types.

The battery saver is back with today's update.

Drowzees are a strange one.  I did read a bit more into some reddit threads yesterday and people are saying they are super common further north - but often at the expense of Eevees.  I wouldn't take that trade (as we have a lot of Eevees here).  But the thing is, I live in northern Oregon so I'm pretty far north.  We just don't have Drowzees here.  I only get them from eggs.

We went to a small lake last night that was just an awesome spot.  I had seen it reported as a Charmander nest site and sure enough we caught a few of those.  But we also caught tons of Magicarp.  I'm now up to 150 candy so it seems reasonable to get a Gyarados some day.  Also got several Slowpoke, which I don't normally see around here and a bunch of oddball randoms.  My son caught 2 Tentacruels.  I got one and had one from before - and yet I've never seen a Tentacool.  Odd.  The lake is small - probably no more than 1km round trip (with a paved path all around) and has 7-8 Pokestops along the shore.  Nearly every one of them had a lure going and there had to be 100+ people there just playing Pokémon Go.  Considering how much the game has died down (at least in my small town) that was pretty shocking to see on a Sunday night (this was just yesterday - Aug 7th).

#44 kube00   Keeping in Cheap since 2005 CAGiversary!   10609 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:42 AM

They moved the nests in my area. Went to a local park that was hot a few week ago with lots of pokemon and there was almost nothing.

I still like the game but its gonna be hard to hir lvl 20. Going out of town this weekend about an hr away and we'll see how that does

#45 io   ... Super Moderators   24698 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:55 AM

Saw my first botter/GPS spoofer (or so I assume) today.  Nearly every gym in my town is blue, so we went to a neighboring town so we could take some over (and get some other real errands done at the same time).  We kept seeing Electabuzz on the new "sightings" list and it was at a park.  It was still there when we went back 20 minutes later so I assume it is a nest - we'll have to check it out later.  We really couldn't get out and explore because it was getting late (and cold and rainy here - WTF!?) but the gym there had a level 36 guy parked in it.  From what I've read, there are very few legit players in the 30's, let alone 36.  Hell, I've been playing nearly every day since the start and I'm just at 22 now.  Granted, I haven't spent much money (and none, really, to gain exp), but 36+ is pretty extreme.  I think someone on Reddit calculated that to get into the upper 30's you'd have had to have played for 12 hours a day since launch.

#46 kube00   Keeping in Cheap since 2005 CAGiversary!   10609 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:59 AM

Saw my first GPS spoofer today (or so I assume).  Nearly every gym in my town is blue, so we went to a neighboring town.  We kept seeing Electabuzz on the new "sightings" list and it was at a park.  It was still there when we went back 20 minutes later so I assume it is a nest - we'll have to check it out later.  We really couldn't get out and explore because it was getting late (and cold and rainy here - WTF!?) but the gym there had a level 36 guy parked in it.  From what I've read, there are very few legit players in the 30's, let alone 36.  Hell, I've been playing nearly every day since the start and I'm just at 22 now.  Granted, I haven't spent much money (and none, really, to gain exp), but 36+ is pretty extreme.  I think someone on Reddit calculated that to get into the upper 30's you'd have had to have played for 12 hours a day since launch.

Yea I know a guy I work with who has bragged about using a GPS spoofer 

#47 io   ... Super Moderators   24698 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:07 AM

In other news, I know it probably doesn't seem that way, but I have actually never played a Pokémon game before this one.  I'm a little too old to have been caught up in the original craze.  And for whatever reason I've always avoided playing them even though I play lots of other Nintendo stuff and like Japanese RPG's in general.  My son has played the last few, though, and I think I'm going to start in on his old copy of Alpha Sapphire (which, unfortunately, we had erased when his younger brother wanted to play but then quickly lost interest).  At least he has Pokémon Y digitally on his 3DS and we both got the mythical pokemon download cards from Gamestop - they even gave us ones for the last promo, Darkrai.  That needs to be redeemed by the end of this month so that's why I want to start up the game soon.

And, conveniently, I had already preordered the Amazon Pokémon Sun/Moon steelbook combo on a whim (before Pokémon Go even came out)  - now that's perfect because there's one game for me and one for my son.  I can transfer stuff from Alpha Sapphire and he can transfer from his Pokémon Y.

I wonder how much of an effect Pokémon Go will have in getting peope interested in the main games again?  I had never even really considered playing it before so it definitely worked on me!

#48 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:22 PM

I'm just happy they started out with 1st gen, since that is the only series I ever played, so I know their names and types.  Other than the ones more prominently featured in the Smash series, I don't know many from the other gens.

Happy to have the battery saver / screen locker back, means I can get some extra km out of my incubators while grocery shopping without worrying about accidentally spending my pokecoins in the shop (which has happened before).

I still like the game but its gonna be hard to hir lvl 20. Going out of town this weekend about an hr away and we'll see how that does

Getting to lvl 20 isn't too bad, just make sure you use the pidgey / caterpie / weedle farming + mass evolving with a lucky egg trick.  Also, if you are running out of balls, I find it better to go for any low CP pokemon you can for certain catch in one or two throws, rather than waste half of your stock on a higher CP one.  Sure, I occasionally do this if I need a high CP pokemon to evolve (or for any Eevee I find), but you still get the same 100 + bonus XP (and same amount of startdust) for any level CP pokemon you catch.

That in mind, they really should think about giving you higher XP + stardust for the harder to catch CP values, make it a bit more worth your while.

#49 io   ... Super Moderators   24698 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:06 AM

I'm in Atlanta this week and the spawns here are nearly identical to what I see in Oregon.  Beyond the usual rats, pidgeys, weedles, and caterpies, there are a decent amount of Eevees, Polliwogs, Zubats, and Venonats.   I don't seem to see as many Oddish and Exegcutes, though, as I do in Oregon.  No Drowsees either (which I haven't really seen anywhere yet except for the occasional sighting - I have only caught 1 in over a month of playing).

And there is this one ridiculous spawn point in the middle of a run down shopping center parking lot.  It is a lot like a lake we walk around in a suburb of Portland that spawns a lot of Magicarp, Psyducks, and the occasional Slowpoke and Tentacool/cruel.  Except this parking lot is nowhere near water and spawns Magicarps for days.  I got 7 in about 5 minutes just passing through it earlier today.

#50 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10858 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:36 PM

We have plenty of Drowzees in the Chicago area.  Not pidgey-common but nothing to get excited about seeing.  Caught more than enough to evolve a Hypno weeks ago and have a bunch of Drowzees caught beyond that.

I topped out at about 30-35% of my Pokedex and then stopped ever seeing anything new.  Catching rats and pigeons has lost any novelty it once held so I've been drifting away from the game lately.  Was doing some gyms over lunch for a while but restocking potions is too slow to keep it up on a regular basis.

#51 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14052 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:27 PM

We went up to Chicago last night for a Cubs game.  Where we were seated, we could grab a Pokestop, and people kept Lures on it the entire game.  90%+ in the lures were Drowzee.  Central IL is also littered with them.  Super common; almost as bad as Pidgey/Rattata.

I would love to go for a walk/bike ride on Lake Shore Drive.  Saw Dratini/Magnemite/Voltorb on the Sightings but weren't able to find them in the car.  They're stocked with water Pokemon, as we got several Magikarp, Squirtle, Staryu, Psyduck, etc.

Also saw a Level 9(!) gym that was at like 58,XXX/60,000...and had 9 Dragonites in it!  It was my team (Instinct).  I wish I could've stayed and upped the Prestige so I could drop in, but I would have had to put a non-Dragonite in.  :lol:

We found/caught our first Kabuto in Bolingbrook on the way home...so that was cool.

#52 io   ... Super Moderators   24698 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:24 AM

The regional differences are kind of odd.  Just a few of the odd things (advanced evolutions or unique singles) I've caught more of than Drowzee: Ivysaur, Wartortle, Butterfree, Clefairy, Gloom, Parasect, Venomoth, Primeape (jn Arizona), Kadabra (in Arizona), Victreebell, Tentacruel, Ponyta (Aizona), Slowbro, Haunter, Weezing, Tangela, Seaking, Tauros, Pinsir, Scyther, and Dratini.

And I've caught as many Snorlax, Chansey, and Rapidash as I have Drowzee (1, that is).

But there are rarer things still.  I have yet to see any of the following low level or unique Pokémon: Magnemite (got one from an egg just today though), Seel, Grimer (got one from an egg like the first week I played), Voltorb (also have one from egg - though I did see one nearby once which is more than I can say for most of the others), Hitmonlee (1 from egg), Hitmonchan, Lickitung,  Jynx (got 1 from egg), Electabuzz, Magmar (just got one of these from an egg too), Lapras, Porygon, Omanyte, Kabuto, and Aerodactyl.

Till I wrote that all out I didn't realize how many I've gotten only from eggs.  And yet I still haven't hatched one of the other region exclusives (like Mr Mime).  I've been putting all my coins into incubators recently so I've been hatching a lot.  Nothing is quite as awesome as when a 2km egg becomes a Ratatta or a 5km becomes a Paras ;).  I had a valuable 10km become a Pinsir once too - that was almost phone-destroying worthy.

I finally got enough Magicarp for a Gyarados from the crazy Magicarp spawn parking lot here.  Way back when I first started playing I assumed that would be the hardest one to get because of the quantity involved.  Now I think it will be Machoke and especially Machamp given that I have only ever gotten one Machop.

#53 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14052 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:31 PM

The worst is when your 10km egg is an Eevee.  Happened to me four times now, and my wife once.  Eevee is so common here, that it's the most infuriating thing about the game (to hatch that Eevee)...

I'm at 100 in my Pokedex, but I essentially am going to have to travel, or get lucky on eggs, to get much further.  My area hasn't really produced anything new for me in quite a while, and I am in a facebook group where people alert the others when anything good spawns.  I have a flexible job, so I'm usually able to get over quick to any good spawn.

#54 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:52 PM

The only good thing about getting Eevee from a 10K egg is its usually a good choice for evolving, typically very good IV stats and at the same level of your trainer when you picked it up.

I'm at 82 in my Pokedex, I really need to start visiting lakes / rivers to try to beef up my water pokemon, most everything I've gotten from eggs so far.  My appeal with the game waxes and wanes, usually sways evenly with my last great catch  / horrible fail, or that moment where a rare / semi-rare pokemon shows up and you're out of ammunition.

#55 io   ... Super Moderators   24698 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:04 AM

I saw something about spawns changing a bit in the last few days and I think it is true.  We are starting to see Growlithes show up in our Eevee/Bellsprout/Exeggcute/Venonat/Oddish area way more than before.  I caught a lot in Arizona but I think only one here before.  We also are seeing more Clefairy.

I found a relatively up to date spawn map for Portland.   Unfortunately I don't live right in Portland so most of the places are a fair drive for us.  But we went to a park that supposedly had Machop spawns and sure enough it did.  We only got 3 in an hour and a half, but that was 3 times as many as I had ever seen in the month and a half previous. 

Then we went to a park that was supposed to have the ever elusive Seel.  Well, we didn't see that but we got 2 Shellders instead which I've only ever gotten from eggs.  So that spawn may have flipped from Seel to Shellder (the map did show other Shellder spawn sites).

On the way back home we saw an Omanyte nearby but we were on the freeway going 65 - had no idea where that would have been.  Never seen that before either.

Speaking of crappy luck from 10k eggs: my son caught a Magmar on the road on the way up to the Machop park.  We were near a (much closer) park that wasn't on the map, but now I figure it might be a Magmar spawn site.  Unfortunately I had just gotten 2 in a row from my last 2 10km eggs so that spawn is no longer too exciting (though I could use a better one).  My son hadn't had a 10k egg in weeks but he just got 2 the other day and was in the process of hatching them when he caught that Magmar.  No less than 6 hours later his eggs hatched and the first one was a Magmar - just as we jokingly predicted.  We also predicted the second: a Pincer.  He was pretty pissed ;).

#56 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14052 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:43 PM

It doesn't seem like the spawns have changed much in our area.  I have seen a few more Bulbasaur and Squirtle than before...but that could just be because Sightings works better than the other trackers ever did.  I'm about 30 candy from a Blastoise. 

I've held two gyms now for 11 days straight.  They were in a very small town we passed through.  So, that's a nice (minimum) 20 coins per day!  I try to grab a few gyms in my town and collect all at once.

Latest update has "Appraise" now.  Nothing too interesting there.  Most of the Pokemon I figured were good battlers are.  I guess it's kinda handy for those that won't try an IV calculator.

#57 io   ... Super Moderators   24698 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:27 PM

Latest update has "Appraise" now.  Nothing too interesting there.  Most of the Pokemon I figured were good battlers are.  I guess it's kinda handy for those that won't try an IV calculator.

I didn't fully understand IV before this (my son never explained it quite right).  With this feature I went through and favorited all my best ones according to the appraisal.  It showed me some interesting stuff like my highest Exeggutor is apparently crap.  But it verified that the Vaporeon (my highest CP pokemon) I use for all my gym battles is, in fact, pretty good.

The best use of it is for all the lower level stuff that you are about to evolve. I wish it existed a few days ago when I evolved a bunch of stuff with a Lucky Egg running.  I would have done a better Growlith and a better Clefairy.  The ones I did are utter crap.  I never looked into the web sites.  I thought they pulled data from the game and I didn't want to risk a ban.  But I guess they are really just calculators.

Oh, and we finally caught a Seel yesterday!  We were driving past a shopping center and a whole bunch of good stuff popped up.  We tracked it all down to a small section of the parking lot - kind of like that awesome parking lot I found near Atlanta.  Except here it was Gastly, Seel, and I think a Squirtle.  I'll be up there again tonight and will see if there is still good stuff spawning there.

As for gyms, I had two gyms for a full 24 hours but they've been beaten now.  I've never kept anything more than like 2 days.  I find the small town ones are worse, because there are fewer locations there and people battle over them constantly.  We have a gym at the edge of our own neighborhood (in a small town) and it will change hands 3-4 times in the middle of the night even.  The ones I've kept the longest have been tucked into neighborhoods in Portland proper.   There are so many more gyms there that some get overlooked.

Edit: Yep, saw another Seel in the same area, though it wasn't in the parking lot and I couldn't quite find it.   But at least I know there is a spawn site there now.  And I caught two Drowsees in the same town - definitely a new thing for this area.  And I saw a Geodude there and caught a Ponyta near my house.  So for whatever reason we're getting some of the Arizona spawns here now.

#58 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:01 PM

I can only hold onto gyms for 4-8 hours at most, the more popular ones switch control even moreso than that.  If I can get the two gym bonus a day I'm happy enough with that.

I haven't noted much of a difference in the spawns in my area, only thing now is that for some reason Zubats are much less common.  I used to see those as often as Pidgey, Rattata and Ekans, but now I only see one a day at most.

#59 io   ... Super Moderators   24698 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:53 PM

Anyone here get the Pokémon Go Plus thingy?  I'd like one but of course don't even know where to begin looking for it.  Apparently GS sold out of them instantly last Friday - a day I was travelling across country.

#60 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   6143 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:18 AM

I play Pokemon Go every day