CAGcast #458: Pokemon Go Away

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks Pokemon Go, Warner Bros and YouTube, NES Mini, GTX 1080, Overwatch and so much more!

Download (1 hours 10 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS

https://audioboom.com/boos/4826438-cagcast-458-pokemon-go-away/

Get $5 off your order (with free shipping) at http://www.harrys.com with coupon code CAGCAST

Harry's Father's Day Shave Set

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro -   Klangkarussell - Netzwerk
Outro - Transformers Aerial Bots Ad

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Cheapy, you have turned into that cantankerous old man sitting on the bench yelling at everyone in the park for playing Pokemon. Ship and Wombat were trying to have a reasonable discussion about the game and the software behind it and you shut it down each time they brought up a point. At this point in the Cagcast it's obvious that anything stamped with Nintendo's name will get pissed on.

Yet NHL 2k15 is God's gift to video games.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a generational thing regarding Pokemon Go. Shipwreck and Wombat were teenagers, while CheapyD was not.

The song is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHwsnKoUHaY

CheapyD can be any animal ever; he chooses the only one that's synonymous with bald....

...and Wombat doesn't call that to attention?!?  Pick up those cues faster next time! I guess the in-laws are killing your comedic timing; you're better than that. :)

A simple "Oh, like a bald eagle?" would have sufficed nicely.

Cheapy, you have turned into that cantankerous old man sitting on the bench yelling at everyone in the park for playing Pokemon. Ship and Wombat were trying to have a reasonable discussion about the game and the software behind it and you shut it down each time they brought up a point. At this point in the Cagcast it's obvious that anything stamped with Nintendo's name will get pissed on.

Yet NHL 2k15 is God's gift to video games.
Couldn't agree more, I was also hoping for a more nuanced discussion about the impact of the game but I should have known where this was headed when Cheapy started posting screenshots of him removing the app and blocking mentions of the game on Twitter, he always says that he wishes success for everyone in the industry but he was definitely drinking the haterade during this episode.

The comparison to Transformers was terrible as well, something like Pokemon Go is more subjective than those movies, it's even hard to compare it to more traditional video games. In the case of Pokemon Go, the millions of people who are enjoying it are wrong so the numbers mean nothing, but when Cheapy and Wombat go back and forth on overwatch, Cheapy is quick to point to the millions of players who are enjoying the game haha

Cheapy always shits on Nintendo for being behind the ball on toys-to-life and other trends, but here they beat major competitors to the punch on geocaching/AR and he still finds a way to shit on'em. They did partner up with Niantic on this, but Nintendo still deserves some credit even if all they did was license out the game; they are protective of their licenses, especially Pokemon, so I give them props for taking more risks.

Not sure how much all the parties involved contributed (Nintendo, Pokemon Company, GameFreaks), it seems that Niantic built the majority of it and it does leverages data from Ingress but this game is more than just Ingress with a Pokemon-skin on top if it, I think it's fair to give everyone involved credit on the massive success.

I never, ever, ever get tired of hearing people describe their first experience taking on the Wrigley Field bathroom. I'm partial to the Sox, but still visit Wrigley one or two times a year, and I don't drink a drop at Wrigley because I never want to see those bathrooms again. 

Glad you had a good time in the city, Ship.

Also laughed at Cheapy's reaction to us having two — two!! — baseball stadiums.

Cheapy so harsh on pokemon go. I agree that the gameplay is very shallow but the collection/leveling up is very addicting. I also like that I can talk to anyone about it which is not the case about any other game I play. I was also a person that was into geocaching a couple years ago which is a similar concept, anything that gets me walking more is good.

Niantic got over $35 million to make the game and the technology. The one thing the game really needs is p2p turn based battling.

If it wasn't for Shipwreck on Pokemon GO and Cheapy on Overwatch this would have been a pretty depressing episode. I get that when something is popular then it becomes popular to hate on it like Nickelback and Justin Beiber but I see enough of the Pokemon GO hate on social media, I thought maybe you guys would have something interesting to say about it.

My kids love how many kids are at the park now that Pokemon GO came out. When I used to take them it was sometimes only us at the park. Now that our park has a Pokemon Gym and 4 Pokestops at it, it always has 30+ people walking the trail or hanging out by the Gym. That is just 1 park in 1 city in America, I can only imagine how many people are at all the parks across the country now. I like to see Nintendo succeed so I am happy for them and Niantic for the success on this. I don't own a Wii U because I think its still overpriced at $299 when Xbox Ones are going for $250 with extras but I hope this success gives them more money to pump into the NX to make it something great.

It's amusing to hear Cheapy transition so hard from lambasting Pokémon GO and Nintendo in general to defending Overwatch and trying to get Wombat to admit it's not a bad game. As someone who is mostly a fan of Pokémon, I don't think Pokémon GO is that good of a game on its own merits, but Cheapy came off as old man yelling at cloud here.

And yes, I too use the accented é. Always have. Looked up how to do it when I was young and really into the games because I wanted to be proper.

I know Cheapy is critical of Nintendo but his feelings for PokemonGo were pretty dismissive and negative and this was on my mind the whole time I was listening to him haha

[attachment=22944:picsArt_07-17-10.39.28~01.jpg]

Been looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Pokémon Go, given your stances on modern Nintendo. I loved the urge it gave me to go outside. Usually when I go outside, it's because I have to go somewhere, or because my dog has to make doodie, or so I can begrudgingly exercise, and perhaps step in doodie.

With Pokémon Go, I wanted to go outside, like when I was 10 or 12 years old. I went to the park. That's impressive. The "thrill of the hunt" for wild Pokémon -- tracking down where that rare Pokémon is hiding, narrowing down which neighbor's backyard I'm going to have to trespass into -- simple shallow fun. 

Capturing gyms... the fun ceiling is low. Combat is rly bad and gyms feel kind of pointless.

So that's the game. Should've launched with trading, it'd be even more social. That's coming soon, but now I just want to play the real games. Fun times were had, but I've had my fill and I don't wanna hear about it much anymore. Except maybe from my sister, I like hearing about it from her. 

It's a 6/10 game and I'm mostly finished with it, but how it got me out and about was remarkable, as is the global impact -- who knew that Pokémon had yet to leave its biggest mark on the world? I'm not sure if any purebred clones of Pokémon Go will be successful at all, but I do think it will be the crappy foundation of a looming genre of mobile AR games. No offense to Niantic; Goldeneye 007 is seen as crappy now, but was loved and influential.

Added the "é"s for Cheapy. As a hockey fan, he should be used to hearing "eh." 

And yes, I too use the accented é. Always have. Looked up how to do it when I was young and really into the games because I wanted to be proper.
My phone auto corrects it to add the accent, no work needed for me.

Also in fairness to cheapy, all the other podcasts I listen to were all pretty down on pokémon go.

I think what Cheapy needs is to do is go to Central Park with Tai and spend a day Pokémon hunting. After that I think he'll get why PokémonGo is so popular. Sometimes you need to lose your cynical point of view and feel like a kid again.

The Gym battles are bad though. Hot Chinatown garbage bad.

fuck Pokemon Go! I went to a house party, well more of a social gathering and half the people left for 20 minutes to run up the road to catch Pokemon. Bullshit.

Eh, Pokemon Go is whatever - I won't be installing it as I just don't care. However if the game actually had game elements like a traditional Pokemon game - battle system like the gameboy / DS games that'll be neat, friends list, trading etc.

I'm super interested in the build quality of those NES Mini controllers. Those are a steal at $10 a pop considering that a poorly made knock-off NES style controller costs roughly the same.

You could use them as is on Wii/Wii U (NX?) or just use an adapter or re-wire them for USB. Either way, having a source for official Nintendo NES style controllers in 2016 is nice to have.

I'm super interested in the build quality of those NES Mini controllers. Those are a steal at $10 a pop considering that a poorly made knock-off NES style controller costs roughly the same.

You could use them as is on Wii/Wii U (NX?) or just use an adapter or re-wire them for USB. Either way, having a source for official Nintendo NES style controllers in 2016 is nice to have.
From what I've heard, it has the same port hookup as the bottom of a Wiimote, so you can theoretically use it in any situation where you could use one of those classic controllers (now with more classic).

My portfolio and my 9 yr old love this game. 15 yr old likes it too.  And my wife even plays it and she hates games.  It's probably the very first game she's downloaded ever on her phone.  That's hell freezing over there in my eyes.

I haven't been able to play because my 9 yr old has commandeered my phone.  But we went on 2 2 hr walks around  a few neighborhoods to hit Pokestops and catch Pokemon.  I always feel great afterwards.  Good exercise.  Kid gets exercise.  We chat.  We see interesting stuff in the neighborhoods.  And kid gets excited about catching new Pokemon, gym battles and Pokestops.  Win-win.  

But NIntendo needs to partner with cellular companies and  offer (cheaper and smaller) data plans for phones  just for this game as a lot of kids have hand-me-down phones but don't have cell service.  Really all they need to do is let the customer officially use a tablet data plan on their phone.

I do wonder what happens when winter rolls around.  In my area that means snow and single digits.  It might put a crimp in some of the Pokemon catching.   But as far as the game having legs.  Who knows, but it's not a static game.  It's a service.  There are going to be updates.  They said every few weeks.  New content on a regular basis should keep lots of players coming back for more.  

Who knows, but it's not a static game. It's a service. There are going to be updates. They said every few weeks. New content on a regular basis should keep lots of players coming back for more.
This is why it doesn't make sense to compare this to traditional video games and talk about the score on emtacritic. The gameplay is simplified and the gym battles are just "tap to win" because that's more accessible to folks who have never played video games.

This game is a blend of a video game and a social network, there isn't any social networking from within the app yet but that aspect comes into play in real life since the pokemons and pokestops that I see are available to everyone else, some folks decide to play the game amongst friends, some go out on their won and meet new people etc...

Yo Cheapy, looks like you're taking this Pokemon Go hatred a bit far...
[attachment=22974:pokemon-sign.jpg.size.custom.crop.650x650.jpg]

I'm not sure which I would like to go to more: Galloping Ghost or Mac-n-Melt.

At this point in the Cagcast it's obvious that anything stamped with Nintendo's name will get pissed on.
Did you not hear the positive comments regarding the NES Mini? They talked about it for quite a while.

CheapyD did not seem to understand the app and that is in its fundamental stages. It is still being added on. Look at Minecraft, it is constantly being added on to. Bugs happen. Updates come. Pokemon Go is technically still a beta app and to see the servers are still well equipped is fantastic.

Wombat and Shipwreck understand people are enjoying being outside and finding fun in an app that is still under development. Once Nintendo understands to make things more stable, watch CheapD jump back on it. The Pokemon Go Plus badge is coming and this is a great addition to the community of the game.

way too much negativity this episode. Cheapy doesn't like Pokémon Go, Wombat trashes Overwatch, but I think that was partially to get a rise out of Cheapy. Ship isn't interested in the new Ghostbusters (which was very funny, IMHO) or the Mini NES. at least he acknowledged it wasn't for him. not everyone has an original NES and this is a good way to get parents to replay some classics with their kids quick and easy.

You guys need to go to an every other week format.  You are becoming too negative about everything.

Cheapy trashes Pokemon GO

Wombat trashes on Overwatch to instead play crap games like Far Cry Primal

Shipwreck was off in Chicago digging up trashy games from the 1990s

I think Tai is old enough now to start making the outline for the show.

Sounds to me like the negative people are the listeners. If you focus on what people don't like, yeah - you'll think that the podcast is negative. But you are just ignoring the parts where Cheapy, Wombat and Ship are talking about what they are enjoying. Ship is having a great time traveling around, visiting retro gaming arcades and shops, Wombat is getting into Far Cry Primal, and Cheapy is playing Overwatch. Every host said good things sbout the NES Mini and 2 out of 3 are playing Pokemon Go, but according to this thread it is nothing but Nintendo hate.

Everyone doesn't need to love everything. And contrary to popular belief, it is ok to not like Pokemon Go.

Wow some of you guys are major haters on the podcast, why are you listening if you hate it that much? I enjoy the podcast, its one of my favorites during the week, I listen to the CAGcast, Bombcast, Beastcast, DLC, The Patch, and Roosterteeth, I have a long commute in the morning and evening so its more interesting than the radio. Keep doing the podcast guys, we may have thought more highly of Nintendo doing the Pokemon GO thing but that doesn't mean I don't like the podcast or want you to slow down on the episodes. Keep up the good work!

bread's done
Back