* * * * - 18 votes

XBL Deals - 2016, Part 2

XBL Xbox One Xbox 360 Xbox Live Deals with Gold Games with Gold XBLA Games on Demand

#16651 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   6829 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

#16652 LunarApex   CAG Ninja CAGiversary!   181 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

LunarApex

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

Gay innuendo FTW lol. Watch out everyone, tough guy on the loose. 

#16653 sp0rklez  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

Actually now that I look back at it, looks like my post was the first on page 667. Fail.

#16654 FarCry3r  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:45 PM

Actually now that I look back at it, looks like my post was the first on page 667. Fail.

lol

#16655 Donken   President & CEO CAGiversary!   4462 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:46 PM

Happy New Year!

Gaming related things I'm most excited for this year:

Nintendo Switch
Zelda Breath of the Wild
Project Scorpio
Halo Wars 2
Crackdown 3
Red Dead Redemption 2
Yooka-Laylee
Cuphead
Halo 6 tease at E3???
Possible an SNES Classic?? (Plz Nintendo?)

#16656 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

So, what was everyone's worst purchase last year that goes against everything CAG stands for?

No Man's Sky on Day 1. Enough said....

#16657 FarCry3r  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:54 PM

No Man's Sky on Day 1. Enough said....

That should top the list.

#16658 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

That should top the list.

Yeah, it's even worse that it was my main reason for picking up a PS4 again too.  I haven't touched either since about two weeks after NMS came out.  I am ashamed...

#16659 JP   Member of the Ravens Nation! Trade-in Value Team   8102 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:10 PM

So, what was everyone's worst purchase last year that goes against everything CAG stands for?

Mine wold be the "remastered" Marvel Ultimate Alliance combo. I knew it was going to be buggy and not all that awesome, but I loved both of those game so much I didn't care.

Runner-up would be pre-ordering South Park: Fractured But Whole Gold Edition at full price.

#16660 closedsocket  

closedsocket

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:14 PM

Umm, hard for me to have a regret. I have an under 20 rule, and then as soon as I beat a game I ebay it, unless I really like the multiplayer.

#16661 Groo The Wanderer  

Groo The Wanderer

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:16 PM

My worst purchase was Homefront: The Revolution.

Shit was mind numbingly BORING. They give you this big ass map and there's no life in it. Nothing fun to do. I gave up before liberating the first Red Zone. To make things worse, I bought the season pass too. Never again.

#16662 MattOK  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:16 PM

Either buying Forza Horizon 3 close to launch at full price or pre-ordering Star Fox Zero. Liked both quite a bit but wish I waited for sales.

Best purchase: 64 GB Vita memory card for $65

#16663 Luriden   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1345 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:33 PM

I mentioned this in an earlier post but I'll say it again because I feel strongly about it. My biggest gaming purchase regret this year was Mortal Kombat XL for $20. I was blinded by the horror movie icon DLC it came with, and forgot that fighting games are in another language to me.

#16664 LunarApex   CAG Ninja CAGiversary!   181 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

LunarApex

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:48 PM

Mine wold be the "remastered" Marvel Ultimate Alliance combo. I knew it was going to be buggy and not all that awesome, but I loved both of those game so much I didn't care.

Runner-up would be pre-ordering South Park: Fractured But Whole Gold Edition at full price.

I've wanted to pick up the remasters as well, but I suppose I'm glad I didn't with the backlash towards them. I was on the fence about Steam or XBL. I have the gold and platinum versions, but I have no idea if they are BC. I guess I could always hook up the 360 if not.

#16665 .Beowulf  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:49 PM

I mentioned this in an earlier post but I'll say it again because I feel strongly about it. My biggest gaming purchase regret this year was Mortal Kombat XL for $20. I was blinded by the horror movie icon DLC it came with, and forgot that fighting games are in another language to me.

I'm not much of a fighting game person either and I too am attracted to the horror aspects

the game is beautiful though and it should be fun to play with friends if I ever get one

anything that adds characters like Jason and Leatherface are getting purchased by me pretty much no matter what

#16666 jimbo8574   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   8235 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

Either buying Forza Horizon 3 close to launch at full price or pre-ordering Star Fox Zero. Liked both quite a bit but wish I waited for sales.

Best purchase: 64 GB Vita memory card for $65

I think really the only game I had to force myself to play and will not finish will be Witcher 3.  It was only $12 and change and I will get back about $8.80 at Game Stop.  So not a big deal.  Just not my type of game.  

I did pick up Gears 4 UE digitally at launch.  Even with $10 back and discounted credit I probably should have waited to BF.  I really regret buying games at launch anymore even if I really like the game.  

Pretty happy with most of what I played last year and what I paid for the games.

#16667 Barry Burton   CAGiversary! Banned   1790 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Barry Burton

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:04 PM

Mine was Fallout 4. The only game I've ever purchased digitally at full price. I expected a game like Fallout 3 which is one of my top 5 favorites of all time. What I got was all that crap about building a settlement and the death of V.A.T.S. I haven't played it since March, I think.

building a settlement?  i beat the story and got to level 50 and hardly did that

i don't see what fallout 3 did better than 4

#16668 jimbo8574   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   8235 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

Probably my biggest surprise of the year TitanFall 2.  I didn't play the first one (even though I have it in EA access AND on disc).  Thought I would like it but didn't think I would play the MP nearly as much as I have.  Regen 3 times so far.

#16669 Barry Burton   CAGiversary! Banned   1790 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Barry Burton

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:10 PM

oh my most disappointing purchase was Quantum Break on day 1

i had anticipated this game since it was announced the same day Xbox 1 was announced, i hated everything about the game

with all the Alan Wake references in the game i don't understand why they just didn't make Alan Wake 2

#16670 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8003 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:14 PM

building a settlement? i beat the story and got to level 50 and hardly did that

i don't see what fallout 3 did better than 4

I enjoyed Fallout 3 so much that I didn't want to see it end. Like I said, it's in my top 5 of all time. I think it was the turn based nature of the V.A.T.S. system in Fallout 3 that reminded me a lot of a JRPG. Fallout 4 was more action oriented which I just didn't like. When I started playing Fallout 3, I didn't want to play anything else. Didn't get that feeling from Fallout 4. And, you're right that the settlement stuff wasn't integral to the game, but it was annoying.

#16671 jimbo8574   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   8235 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:18 PM

oh my most disappointing purchase was Quantum Break on day 1

i had anticipated this game since it was announced the same day Xbox 1 was announced, i hated everything about the game

with all the Alan Wake references in the game i don't understand why they just didn't make Alan Wake 2

Yeah that one should get an dishonorable mention on my list too.  I didn't know too much about it other then it was done by the same guys as Alan Wake.  It was ok but nothing special.  First game I think I traded back in a week or so for less then $40 too.  With lower trade values on new/launch games I am getting more and more reluctant to buy games at launch for a quick play and trade.

#16672 Biggquis   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2538 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:21 PM

Worst purchase... I hope this doesn't get my account banned.

I spent HUNDREDS of dollars on Madden Ultimate Team.  The dumb thing is that I traded in the game a few weeks ago because I just wasn't touching it anymore, and the game will be in the vault soon enough.  I got addicted to the gambling aspect of opening packs and browsed the auction house for hours everyday.  Never again

#16673 chimpmeister   Hates gimmicks CAGiversary!   4012 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

chimpmeister

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:29 PM

I'm not much of a fighting game person either and I too am attracted to the horror aspects

the game is beautiful though and it should be fun to play with friends if I ever get one

anything that adds characters like Jason and Leatherface are getting purchased by me pretty much no matter what

I got MK XL too, and I haven't been great at it either. To be fair, I think all of us would do a lot better if we had arcade sticks to play it with. I'm going to be on the lookout for a reasonably priced stick to play my fighting games on both the XB1 and PS4 (though I know that most sticks are designed for just one platform).

The graphics in MK are fantastic though, love the stages and characters!

#16674 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8762 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:30 PM

Is there any way to allow automatic updates of games but not automatic download of purchases to my xbox?

Basically my situation is I got a very low bandwidth cap and while updates to the games are fine I have downloaded, I would prefer to not be forced to be right next to my xbox to buy a game to immediately cancel it.

#16675 Strider Turbulence   Banned Banned   6540 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Strider Turbulence

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:39 PM

I got MK XL too, and I haven't been great at it either. To be fair, I think all of us would do a lot better if we had arcade sticks to play it with. I'm going to be on the lookout for a reasonably priced stick to play my fighting games on both the XB1 and PS4 (though I know that most sticks are designed for just one platform).

The graphics in MK are fantastic though, love the stages and characters!

Mortal Kombat plays better on a pad than a stick honestly.

In any case if you already have a PS3 or Xbox 360 arcade stick, look into getting a Brooks Super Converter. They go for $40-50 and let you use any wired stick or controller on Xbox one or PS4 with no input lag.

#16676 Primis   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   347 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:40 PM

Worst purchase... I hope this doesn't get my account banned.

I spent HUNDREDS of dollars on Madden Ultimate Team.  The dumb thing is that I traded in the game a few weeks ago because I just wasn't touching it anymore, and the game will be in the vault soon enough.  I got addicted to the gambling aspect of opening packs and browsed the auction house for hours everyday.  Never again

I love the idea of Ultimate Team, BUT.... I hate that cards expire.  That totally ruins it.  When they first did it for NHL, it was all I played when I got the new game, but I quickly got REALLY tired of investing in getting cards that were just going to expire anyways, especially if the network or system hoses you out of several games.  I got mad and never played UT again.

I remember when they had those Madden games on Facebook, where you would collect the cards but they never expired.... and guys *still* blew sometimes over $1k US  getting the cards they wanted anyways.  I completed Season 1 and never spent a cent, though it took longer.

Seems it's an easy trap to fall into, to spend on it though.  EA banks on it.

#16677 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:41 PM

Is there any way to allow automatic updates of games but not automatic download of purchases to my xbox?

Basically my situation is I got a very low bandwidth cap and while updates to the games are fine I have downloaded, I would prefer to not be forced to be right next to my xbox to buy a game to immediately cancel it.

Recommend doing it manually, set it in settings to not auto update and just manage the game you want to update.

Worst purchase decision for me was buying Forza Horizon 3, great game that's not the problem, going digital with a good deal just after I got a confirmation that my physical copy shipped lol. Doh!

#16678 Thatguy1513   Him again.... CAGiversary!   2595 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Thatguy1513

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:48 PM

I bought a one year sub to gold, and I don't even play games online on Xbox. I only paid like $37 for 13 months in a lowball, but sometimes I even forget to download the free games.

#16679 David Hibiki   You must be tired... CAGiversary!   11724 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

David Hibiki

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:49 PM

I had a really good 2016 in terms of purchasing overall. Not too many mistakes.

ReCore I bought digitally around BF for $25 when it hit $20 like the next day. 

Dead Rising 4 has been my worst purchase overall. Not because the game sucked, but because if I waited just a few weeks I have had it for $30 digitally. I never would have thought digital prices would drop so hard on some games. I expected disc games to drop, but digital? 

I made a new years resolution to not buy more then 4 games a year at full MSRP. Right now Persona 5 is my only priced purchase for 2017. The other game I'm considering is Darksiders Warmastered edition but that's only $20 despite being full MSRP.

I'm pretty much done in general with buying full priced games that release in the Fall/Winter because they all seemed to drop. Was there one title in the Fall/Winter that was AAA that *DIDN'T* have a sale digitally on the XBox Platform?

#16680 gamegirlpocket   hope rides alone CAGiversary!   3230 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

gamegirlpocket

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:55 PM

Best purchase:

My One S. Until recently there weren't enough games on the current gen to warrant buying a new system, but I found a killer deal and had some birthday cash from my family. Lots of good, older games are dirt cheap now (Arkham Knight for $10, MCC for ~$6, etc) and the Black Friday sale was actually really good too. I'd been taking advantage of the cheap fire-sale XBL sales on 360 for the last ~2 years after bein on PS3 forever, and now a lot of those games are BC.

With school, I don't always have the energy to be social when I need to relax, and gaming has always been my go-to "shut the world out for a few hours" escape to recharge.

Worst purchase:

My One S. I still have such a back log from last generation and I'm on such a tight budget that I shouldn't even be tempting myself with cheap games on X1 when I'm not short on unplayed games, and the backlog has grown considerably because of all the cheap deals, even though we all know the longer you wait, the cheaper things will be.

With school, the newer, shinier console/games are more likely to distract me from my studies, but once things really pick up it won't really even be an option except on a weekend night.