Nintendo Classic Mini

Donken

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Does anyone have any idea when we can start preorders for this in the states? It seems like at $60 this might sell out fast before Christmas. I gotta get my hands on one and a second controller to show my kids the good old days at Christmas this year.

I hope they do one of these for the SNES also. Earthbound, Super Mario World, Mario Kart, Star Fox, F-Zero, Donkey Kong Country, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy II and III, and many other greats to pick from.

I admit I'm more interested in the SNES one than I am the NES.  

I'm on the fence about buying this one.  I still have my NES stashed somewhere.  It would be nice to play some of those games in their 8-bit glory, but not sure I'd get more than maybe an hour or two of real play on it before I fold it up again.

That said, I definitely won't make a buy until more details come out about how well the games handle.  With these sorts of toys, I'm speculative the quality will be there.  If not, I would be just better off waiting til the NX or getting them on the Wii or Wii U since I would only really want a few of them (if any).

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the only type of these systems where I *wouldn't* be worried about the quality.  It's Nintendo making this...right?  They won't hand the keys to the castle over to a junk company like Sega (and countless others) did with their systems.

That being said, I'm definitely not buying one unless they get clearanced somewhere.  I am a game collector.  I have nearly all of the 30 games anyway.  (And I have three NES consoles anyway.)

I think it's a neat idea that will appeal to many. For me, I'm sort of a collector, too, but I just collect them via VC versions on the Wii/Wii U (started on the Wii, moved over to the Wii U).

I kind of like having them there (on the hard drive) but not THERE like collecting dust on a shelf.

That being said the mini-console is a better deal if you don't have any of the games.

I also look forward to buying the NES controllers for my Wii U.

Does anyone have any updates on this they've heard of by chance? Last I saw was more stores seem to have a listing for them, but that's it.

Wow, had no idea that the Wii U Virtual Console has such poor emulation. Check out this comparison video showing the NES Classic Edition emulation compared to the Wii U Virtual Console:

https://youtu.be/ocGdWRF84Q0

In the Wii U VC NES games, colors are duller, sounds are muffled, and the aspect ratio is squashed. Couldn't Nintendo have done a better job on the VC? I'd be pissed if I spent any money on VC games, after seeing the comparison above.

On a positive note, it looks like the NES Mini is going to be a decent little system, although the Retro-Bit Generations console will be offering a lot more content and newer arcade games for the same price.

re: NES Classic Mini vs Wii U

Checked this out at lunch. Yeah, they're right. The Wii U version looks "muddy".. I wasn't doing them side by side but trying to compare Wii U VC vs Wii VC and, in my opinion, I think that the Wii VC may have actually looked slightly better than the Wii U VC but certainly not  as good (either) as the NES Classic Mini.

It's a shame. They could fix this but probably won't (release new, updated versions of these VCs).

I'm having a hell of a time finding out what cord connections this will use.  I know it has an HDMI for video and USB for power but does anyone know which type on connection is used to connect to the unit itself?  I want to buy some 20 ft cables from monoprice...  Anyone know which type of HDMI (A, C, D) or USB (A, B, C or micro)?

The nes and Famicom have a few different games for each of them but the nes for each region (us & Eu) will be the same.

Are these region locked? I heard the game lists will be different in different regions.
I'd be a little more concerned about power differences between nations and PAL video vs NTSC. Since the input is USB it shouldn't be a huge deal, but you'd probably have to use an American USB power adapter. Japan uses a similar standard so it should work without issue. With Europe they use different plugs.

I don't know how big of a deal PAL is anymore, but games may run odd when hooked up to an American NTSC TV.

If you want to buy them that's cool, but the cost to import may be higher than what it's worth. Especially if they release a model 2 with more games in 2017.

where would be the best place to pick this up on the 11th when it comes out? gamestop, target, bestbuy, or gamestop? i think it's going to be hard to find. :(

Thanks

where would be the best place to pick this up on the 11th when it comes out? gamestop, target, bestbuy, or gamestop? i think it's going to be hard to find. :(

Thanks
I still don't think it will be hard to find. Frankly, Nintendo keeping its mouth unusually shut about it seems like a classic ploy to stir demand for what is essentially the ONLY product it's releasing this holiday. My bet is that you and anyone else who wants one will find one to buy. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is deliberately keeping shipping numbers down, or not telling retailers about follow up shipments, in hopes of trying to make people think they *have* to buy one when they see it.

I'm not interested in this thing. As much as I love some of the games on here, I have them in some other form, and well, I know at most I'd probably play this thing for 30-60 min tops. Also, that controller length ... wow, talk about making me buy pointless accessories ... oh, wait, this is Nintendo ... of course.

I still don't get why they thought 2.5 ft cord length was enough for the controller... or why they even have wired controllers at all instead of wireless. Nintendo's hardware is generally well thought out but this is just baffling. 

I still don't think it will be hard to find. Frankly, Nintendo keeping its mouth unusually shut about it seems like a classic ploy to stir demand for what is essentially the ONLY product it's releasing this holiday. My bet is that you and anyone else who wants one will find one to buy. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is deliberately keeping shipping numbers down, or not telling retailers about follow up shipments, in hopes of trying to make people think they *have* to buy one when they see it.

I'm not interested in this thing. As much as I love some of the games on here, I have them in some other form, and well, I know at most I'd probably play this thing for 30-60 min tops. Also, that controller length ... wow, talk about making me buy pointless accessories ... oh, wait, this is Nintendo ... of course.
Love the signature! I just beat VJ1 in Child mode this past week after quitting on Adult mode ~10 years ago :lol:

I agree with you, I don't see how these will sell out. A lot of lists put this as the one of the best toys for the holidays, but what kids are asking for a 30 year old system? I can see older people wanting them, but then again, how well did the Sega Genesis console remake with 80 games sell?

I posted this on the Target Clearance Thread.  I saw three of them behind a cage but they wouldn't sell one to me since it has an 11/11 street date.  The boxes are tiny!

f51561b638f88928aa20e67edbe88793.jpg

We are just 50 mins away from when Best Buy hits midnight, curious to see if it pops up then... Good luck my friends...

Stopped by Target this morning around five minutes after it opened.  Apparently, they only received five consoles and one extra controller so they were all already gone.  I guess I was wrong about these selling out :lol:

Stopped by Target this morning around five minutes after it opened. Apparently, they only received five consoles and one extra controller so they were all already gone. I guess I was wrong about these selling out :lol:
Well maybe if Nintendo shipped more than 5 of them. :lol: I mean really ,the thing is tiny they couldn't ship like 20 in a box?

Well maybe if Nintendo shipped more than 5 of them. :lol: I mean really ,the thing is tiny they couldn't ship like 20 in a box?
Nintendo is straggling supply to generate hype. There is no way there is a production issue for this item. The tech inside is ancient. It's really a shame NOA keeps doing this to its core fanbase. At some point, the bottom is going to fall out. Loyalty and blind allegiance are two different things, after all.

I'm sure people who want one for the holidays (I am not one of them) will be able to find it soon enough.

People paying the ridiculous premiums for this thing on eBay are beyond stupid. Nintendo WILL release more products like these. It's part of their strategy to go after the 30-something crowd who grew up on Nintendo. It's all part of the company's relentless push into merchandising and nostalgia trinkets. There WILL be a NES Classic Two, or whatever they call it. They will eventually release ones with longer cords, or even wireless controllers. I won't be surprised at all if they even go full-throttle and release one that actually uses cartridges, or may be one that plays a classic line of game cards.

And then, of course, after they rake in the cash on the NES line -- guess what? SNES classic line. Those who follow the industry KNOW this is what Nintendo is doing. The rest of the suckers are paying through the nose for an obsolete product that will be doubly obsolete in about a year. Bonkers.

My new NES was delivered today and I quite like it. The games look and play great on modern hardware and the savestates work quite well. Hopefully my extension cable order will ship soon too.

For version 2, I hope they put in a wireless option. Wired works great, but it would be nice if there was an option to buy a Bluetooth controller from Nintendo for like $20.

And, now they've discontinued the NES Classic in North America. I wasn't expecting them to bail on this thing so quickly. I'm mildly pleased that I was able to pick one up from Amazon already, but now the aftermarket prices for anyone who missed out are going to go even higher.

And, now they've discontinued the NES Classic in North America. I wasn't expecting them to bail on this thing so quickly. I'm mildly pleased that I was able to pick one up from Amazon already, but now the aftermarket prices for anyone who missed out are going to go even higher.
I think any one of us who follow the gaming industry knew the Classic's days were always numbered. I too am somewhat surprised by how soon Nintendo has pulled the plug on this. I figured the Big N would carry on the console through at least the mid summer, especially given their comments in January.

But I can also understand the business reasons for closing the supply cycle on this. The VC is probably right around the corner, and it makes no sense for Nintendo to keep selling a $60 product with no further opportunity to sell games to those customers when it should be aiming to sell them Switches.

I have to think the squeeze on having to mass produce both, and the stark reality that people were paying scalpers $150+ for the Classic - essentially nearly half or more the price of the Switch - finally made Nintendo blink on this thing.

Sure, people have disposable income, but even Nintendo had to start thinking that every Classic sold for $150+ was a Switch sale they just lost.

I wouldn't be surprised if we're going to see a NES Classic themed Switch with the Switch games preloaded. Given the prices people are willing to pay for the Classic, that would bring getting the Switch just another $150.

bread's done
Back