Sega® Genesis™ Ultimate Portable Game Player ($39.99 + Free Shipping)

lightd93

CAGiversary!
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/sega-reg-genesis-ultimate-portable-game-player/1042999799?mcid=EM_triggeredem_orderconfirm__allpromos

Bed Bath and Beyond Deal. 

Just found out about these, and was about to buy one from Bestbuy for $45, then found it for $39.99 at Bed bath and beyond. Not sure why they are even selling them, but I thought why the heck not for that price? haha. It has 80 games in it. I've heard good things about them, but I have yet to play one. Just thought I'd let you guys know. 

Important to note - you can load an SD card on this thing and play any Genesis ROMs on it. (Thanks KaneRobot)

Here's the list of games installed:

·         SEGA GAMES: • Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle • Alien Storm • Altered Beast • Arrow Flash • Bonanza Bros. • Chakan: The Forever Man • Columns • Columns III • Comix Zone • Crack Down • Decap Attack • Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine • Ecco • Ecco 2: The Tides Of Time • Ecco Jr • ESWAT: City Under Seige • Eternal Champions • Fatal Labyrinth • Flicky • Gain Ground • Golden Axe • Golden Axe II • Golden Axe III • Jewel Master • Kid Chameleon • Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master • StreetsOfRage1 • StreetsOfRage2 • StreetsOfRage3 • Sonic & Knuckles • Sonic Spinball • Sonic the Hedgehog • Sonic the Hedgehog II • The Ooze • Vectorman • Vectorman II • Virtua Fighter2 • Ristar• Sonic 3D Blast

·         ARCADE GAMES: • Cross the road • Jack's Pea • Jewel Magic • Curling 2010 • Fish Story • Mahjong • Warehouse Keeper • Chess • Memory • Snake • Air Hockey • Spider • Naval Power • Mr. Balls • Cannon • Fight or Lose • Bottle Taps Race • Bomber • Checker • Hexagonos • Reaction Match • Whack-A-Wolf • Mirror Mirror • Memory Match • Tresure Hunt • Fire Fly Glow • Panic Lift • Black Sheep • Space Hunter • Flash Memory • Table Magic • Color Puzzle • Brain Switch • Mega Brain Switch • Bulls and Cows • Logic Dial • Match Eleven • Formula Challenge • Sudoku Quiz • Dominant Color

Edit: Forgot to add BB&B to title. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to say I've heard complaints about the sound specifically and maybe a few emulation issues.

$40 ain't bad though, especially if you have a coupon for BB&B :)

I think that's this thing: https://www.amazon.com/Sega-Genesis-AtGames-Arcade-Ultimate-Portable/dp/B0111WVW5C/

Also, you can't save games on it, so RPGs are out of the question.
Can't Save?!?! Well dangit.. Wish I would have known that... It's going to be rough playing Golden Axe haha. I read you can add an sd card, so I just assumed you would be able to save on that, and supposedly you can add more games to it. Not sure how that would work either lol. Maybe download Roms or something?

"Cross the Road" sounds intriguing..

Why am I crossing the road??

What is on the other side??

A local Best Buy had a few of these in their clearance section but the clearance section wasn't marked, I may inquire further.

A local Best Buy had a few of these in their clearance section but the clearance section wasn't marked, I may inquire further.
Online it's clearance'd to $44.99 (normally $49.99). If it's any cheaper in store that would be awesome. If not, Price match at BB&B!

Don't do it, man! These AtGames systems are terrible! This is what you'll be getting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gYLL9GlsSI

Online it's clearance'd to $44.99 (normally $49.99). If it's any cheaper in store that would be awesome. If not, Price match at BB&B!
They scanned the price and it was $39.99, and then on top of that I expected it to be 75% off like things on that display typically are. But this time there was no mention of 75% off on the display (maybe an oversight on the store's part) but I didn't want it bad enough to talk to them about it.

Don't do it, man! These AtGames systems are terrible! This is what you'll be getting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gYLL9GlsSI
I'm not seeing a problem. That looks like what the game does when it sites idle at the title screen for too long. Is that what the game does when you try to play it?

Important to note - you can load an SD card on this thing and play any Genesis ROMs on it.

Also just noticed these myself at BB about a week ago. Looks like reviews say the speaker sucks, but there's a headphone jack, and headphones/external speakers sound better.

They scanned the price and it was $39.99, and then on top of that I expected it to be 75% off like things on that display typically are. But this time there was no mention of 75% off on the display (maybe an oversight on the store's part) but I didn't want it bad enough to talk to them about it.

I'm not seeing a problem. That looks like what the game does when it sites idle at the title screen for too long. Is that what the game does when you try to play it?
Skip to the end. The game restarted mid-level.

Skip to the end. The game restarted mid-level.
I saw that, but like I said that looks like what the game does when it is sitting idle at the title screen for too long and not actually someone playing the game. Also, who here would actually play the game and miss that many rings??? :p

EDIT - ninja'd

the problem can't be seen, it's heard
On a second playback, yeah the sound isn't that great. But if I can score one of these for $10 I'll suffer through it. :)

This is a video of the atGames Genesis console. Everything I've read suggests that the portable version is better, but that might be due to different expectations for the sound on a portable device vs. the sound on a console.

For comparison's sake...the sound emulation in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3 and 360. Sounds very legit, only thing I remember sounding kind wonky were some of the tracks in Streets of Rage, though not terrible.

You can skip to around the 1:25 minute mark for the first stage of Sonic 1.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9XfjfoNOs[/media]

Since we are posting links to Sonic audio, for your listening pleasure:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J5BRLPitkSU
st1.gif

William "Ladies Man" Riker is on point with the beat.

This thing was trending earlier on Facebook because of the 25th anniversary edition being released with some games added and others removed.  I read some of the people being like 80 > 30, this is going to be awesome, and I'm all, this "console" has been out for years in one iteration or another and is typically viewed as a disappointment.

This thing was trending earlier on Facebook because of the 25th anniversary edition being released with some games added and others removed. I read some of the people being like 80 > 30, this is going to be awesome, and I'm all, this "console" has been out for years in one iteration or another and is typically viewed as a disappointment.
The least they could do is update the charge part to use micro USB instead of mini USB...

Wouldn't the home console version be better? I've got big hands, this looks small and the button layout is off. The 6 button Genesis controller button layout went from left to right, not top to bottom. Factor in a bad sound chip/output, why even get this? Get the Retcon 5 instead, if you have the games still.

Paid $10 for mine. Meijer clearance. Paid $15 for the console version. I don't regret either, especially at what I paid. :) Console one has a cart slot too.

I bought one for $20 at Dollar General last year. I ended up giving it to my 4yo son almost primarily due to the horrible audio, but also because of the screen. As you know, screens have a viewing angle where the picture looks poor when viewed at extreme angles. Usually if you look at the screen from the top, the image looks white and washed out, and from the bottom it looks dark and sometimes inverted.

Except for this handheld. Instead of the angle being at the top and bottom, it's at the left and right. Which means 80% of the time, your left eye will be seeing a different image quality than your right eye. You'll drive yourself crazy holding the thing perfectly still trying to get that sweet spot where both eyes see a good image.

bread's done
Back