Need Help With A Buggy PS4 (As In EDF Not Tech Support Buggy)

Flash Strife

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Posted this in general gaming but got no replies. Someone gave me a PS4 but they told me that it had roaches or bugs in it. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to clean up something like this since it's a free PS4 if I can take care of the problem.

I've seen enough of these to know it's almost not worth the effort if those roaches laid eggs in the ps4 and they hatch in your place you inherit roaches and a broken ps4. They get into almost everywhere in the ps4 your probably looking at a new bluray drive ad well as any damage to the board. You will have to completely disassemble the ps4 and once your done cleaning the roaches out take some photos and I might be able to give you an idea what needs to be replaced/fixed

There is some pretty effective sprays you can buy in most supermarkets that help greatly. You might want to actually start by putting the ps4 in a very small room or maybe even a box or something, then spray into the box. Or put some of the cockroaches traps in the box, and then just leave it there a few days in the dark, maybe spraying again every once in a while. If any cockroaches still live, they will eat the dead cockroaches and so inherit the poisons too.

First off, I can tell you kinda about this b/c I grew up in roach infested houses; we only barely got rid of the bugs for good 5-10 years ago before my mom died. (And the bugs ruined at least one PSX back in the day, ugh.) We had to get a exterminator so this is no joking matter.

Always assume it's german cockroaches; those are the WORST and they can be hell to get rid of. I'd put that PS4 into a box and put it in a garbage bag, with roach traps and put roach gel on all the vents, and seal it up for 5-6 months. If PS4s can stand cold (I don't think they can, but don't yell at me if I'm wrong) you prolly could put that sucker in the freezer a week, but I wouldn't because I don't know if that'll hurt the hdd. Make sure you look up the online manual before you freeze that to be sure, or call Sony and ask.

After that, crack that sucker open (outside, of course. If you froze it, wait until it warms up) and give it a thorough clean to get rid of any dead bugs/bug poop/etc. Make sure you know what you're doing of course. Once it's back together it should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP, did you decide to keep it?  And treat it?

Back in the early PS2 days, we rented one from the local Family Video.  Got it home, plugged it in, and cockroaches started coming out the back! 

Luckily, we were able to kill them all before they got anywhere inside the house.  Unplugged it all, threw it in the box, and took it right back to the store. 

Still kinda creepy today.  I think about this anytime someone I know buys a used system.

Yeah, sorry I never replied. My pc got messed up and I couldn't login for a while and I had to prioritize that first. I did crack it open and gave it a look, didn't see any bugs but turned out that either Sony or whoever looked at it before just returned it without the screws and also turned out the pin the power supply connects to on the motherboard was broken and gone and I think 2 pins on the power supply connector broke off too. In the end I couldn't do anything because of it so I didn't bother to continue opening it up anymore after that. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back