* * * * * 7 votes

Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

#3511 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   3772 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:27 AM

:ps4: Overcooked is OOP now I believe too, I still need to grab a copy.

NnZPC5V.png

Check Out My Gaming Stream

Kaiser499.png

#3512 Jurai  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:53 AM

Overcooked looks like your best bet is that beachaudio company that sells through a lot of sites, https://www.newegg.c...=9SIA0ZX5306506

base price is cheaper from newegg themselves but shipping kills it

#3513 AugustAPC   Not For Sale CAGiversary!   3398 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:43 AM

So, guys, I'm finally finding myself some time to being working on cataloging "obscure" physical releases, again.

So far, this is the format I'm using:

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Before I start devoting hours to this, I'd like some feedback. Is there any data missing that I should add? Any suggestions to make things more organized? Any ideas, at all? I'd very much like to hear them as this is going to be a major time sink.

I was wondering if I should catalogue the regional releases in a similar fashion as I've done the platforms, or if having those details under each title's notes is better. Basically what would happen is, instead of how it looks now, there would be four more columns for each region code and corresponding x's and check marks to denote which regions have English releases. Any details, such as if it's a limited release and how small the print is would be detailed in the notes for each checked box, instead of on the notes of the "Title" cell, as they are now.

#3514 Staind204   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2230 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:49 PM

What are the rarest GS exclusives?

#3515 JoshTX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2354 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:56 PM

The only GS exclusives that come to mind right off the bat for me are Killing Floor, Song of The Deep, and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, since those are the ones I bought. Of course Deformers also but since it requires online connectivity and they've already shut down the servers the game is useless, most copies were destroyed by GS, and what's remaining is now being scalped on ebay for stupid prices to poor saps who still feel like they need to have it because they are going for a full set.   

joshTX.png

#3516 JoshTX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2354 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:07 PM

So, guys, I'm finally finding myself some time to being working on cataloging "obscure" physical releases, again.

So far, this is the format I'm using:

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Before I start devoting hours to this, I'd like some feedback. Is there any data missing that I should add? Any suggestions to make things more organized? Any ideas, at all? I'd very much like to hear them as this is going to be a major time sink.

I was wondering if I should catalogue the regional releases in a similar fashion as I've done the platforms, or if having those details under each title's notes is better. Basically what would happen is, instead of how it looks now, there would be four more columns for each region code and corresponding x's and check marks to denote which regions have English releases. Any details, such as if it's a limited release and how small the print is would be detailed in the notes for each checked box, instead of on the notes of the "Title" cell, as they are now.

I know it's probably more work, but I'm in favor of having a separate sheet, column, or maybe some kind of cell color coding to help designate PAL or Japanese only releases. The tabs are cool, but it's a bit more intensive to hover over each game to see the notes like that. 

I figure the majority of CAG members here are Americans and own region 1 hardware. With a system like the PS4 having no region lock (I'm not sure about Xbox??) it's fun to explore the games that were released physically over there but not here. In most cases they are still obscure titles or from small studios, like Slain: Back From Hell. Should there be a dedicated "PAL" sheet? I guess that's what I'm asking. 

joshTX.png

#3517 AugustAPC   Not For Sale CAGiversary!   3398 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:29 PM

I know it's probably more work, but I'm in favor of having a separate sheet, column, or maybe some kind of cell color coding to help designate PAL or Japanese only releases. The tabs are cool, but it's a bit more intensive to hover over each game to see the notes like that. 

I figure the majority of CAG members here are Americans and own region 1 hardware. With a system like the PS4 having no region lock (I'm not sure about Xbox??) it's fun to explore the games that were released physically over there but not here. In most cases they are still obscure titles or from small studios, like Slain: Back From Hell. Should there be a dedicated "PAL" sheet? I guess that's what I'm asking. 

Noted. The Xbox One is also region free. One of the prerequisites for being on this ls that titles must be region-free or NTSC-U (America). The regional information in the sheet is more for detailing each version of the game, potential differences and where you can get them as opposed to whether or not it will run on your console... because as long as you're using region 1 hardware, they all should, regardless.

Creating separate sheets for European or Asian exclusive releases is a good idea. I'll definitely consider that possibility as, hopefully, a few more CAGs weigh in with their thoughts.

#3518 315Retro   Westside Wizard CAGiversary!   1144 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:03 PM

The only GS exclusives that come to mind right off the bat for me are Killing Floor, Song of The Deep, and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, since those are the ones I bought. Of course Deformers also but since it requires online connectivity and they've already shut down the servers the game is useless, most copies were destroyed by GS, and what's remaining is now being scalped on ebay for stupid prices to poor saps who still feel like they need to have it because they are going for a full set.

Tales of hearts r vita was gs exclusive.

Unbox newbies adventure is another. Duke Nukem 3d. Sexy brutale. Cities skylines.

#3519 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   11033 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:00 PM

Unbox newbies adventure is another. Duke Nukem 3d. Sexy brutale. Cities skylines.

Some Gamestop exclusives lose their exclusivity after a while.  Unboxed (PS4 version) was one but has been spotted at Walmart, and Amazon also had it for sale recently.  Yonder (PS4) was also one but has since shown up at Amazon.  Top Gear (Switch) has also showed up on Amazon (and not just from third parties, shipped from and sold by Amazon).

#3520 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9831 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:48 PM

Unbox is not, it's available at Target.

#3521 trunks982   Wii are the Champions! CAGiversary!   6154 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:54 PM

:ps4: Overcooked is OOP now I believe too, I still need to grab a copy.

i sold my sealed copy too early. i think it was about 22 bucks

#3522 JoshTX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2354 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:06 PM

Noted. The Xbox One is also region free. One of the prerequisites for being on this ls that titles must be region-free or NTSC-U (America). The regional information in the sheet is more for detailing each version of the game, potential differences and where you can get them as opposed to whether or not it will run on your console... because as long as you're using region 1 hardware, they all should, regardless.

Creating separate sheets for European or Asian exclusive releases is a good idea. I'll definitely consider that possibility as, hopefully, a few more CAGs weigh in with their thoughts.

Thanks. I haven't been keeping up with the XB1 information like I should even though I own one. 

I might be able to help at least start on a PAL or "foreign" games only physical list by copying and pasting what you already did and just listing all of the foreign exclusive games that I can think of. I've purchased a few, so I have a bit of an idea of what's already floating around. 

joshTX.png

#3523 Jurai  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:33 PM

Would anyone be interested in having an updated spreadsheet of GameStop stock for the smaller titles like that one guy used to have, would be easy to put together

#3524 Dashey10  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:42 PM

40 Winks (cancelled N64 game) is getting a Kickstarter project

https://www.kickstar...e?ref=user_menu

$44 gets you a CIB copy.

Get $15 credits from Tokyo Otaku Mode with you sign up with my referral link here

#3525 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3250 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:54 PM

40 Winks (cancelled N64 game) is getting a Kickstarter project

https://www.kickstar...e?ref=user_menu

$44 gets you a CIB copy.

Cool idea, but I don't recall the PS version being very good.

"Ha! I like your style, you make up your own rules just like me." - Cave Johnson

#3526 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5691 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:57 PM

Cool idea, but I don't recall the PS version being very good.

I'm also not following who they licensed this from.  There is nothing in the budget pie chart about rights fees and the comments seem to indicate that they are just working from the already leaked ROM.  I'm also curious how they will tackle the technical challenges of actually building the N64 carts.    

#3527 Jurai  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:26 PM

How are they selling a 'digital pc version'? did they license an emulator off someone?

#3528 Dashey10  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:00 PM

How are they selling a 'digital pc version'? did they license an emulator off someone?

It looks like it'll be released on Steam.

Get $15 credits from Tokyo Otaku Mode with you sign up with my referral link here

#3529 Nesmaster75   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   585 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Nesmaster75

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:10 PM

Would anyone be interested in having an updated spreadsheet of GameStop stock for the smaller titles like that one guy used to have, would be easy to put together

This would be fantastic! Because of you and the list you compiled, I was able to track down a copy of Job Simulator a few days ago. So for that, thank you.

Posted Image

The O.C Re-runs on Soapnet
Remember The Black Donnellys? How about Saved?

#3530 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   3772 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:22 AM

:ps4: Overcooked is on Amazon for $19.99, just snagged one.

NnZPC5V.png

Check Out My Gaming Stream

Kaiser499.png

#3531 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14014 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:17 AM

So sounds like there's not a lot of extra copies of Secret of Mana.

https://www.reddit.c...eorders_closed/

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
743275.png

#3532 baboonfreak   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1056 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

baboonfreak

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:49 AM

Yeah Secret of Mana PS4 is already out of stock on Gamestop.com (you can add to cart but can't checkout) and it's still two days until release. I can't remember the last time that happened for just a standard edition release.

#3533 Jurai  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:45 AM

Bummer, I was holding out to see how the port is, might have to call around on release day

#3534 AugustAPC   Not For Sale CAGiversary!   3398 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:43 AM

Okay, I think I've finalized the format for the catalogue of games.
https://docs.google....ukyc/edit#gid=0

Marked checked boxes means there are additional notes to view. Any check marks without notations means they're standard releases. You can sort the sheet by console or region, but you will get the same information from both categories.

#3535 Miada   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   982 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:33 PM

Two questions :

1. Does Rice Digital ship to the US?

2. Do Signature Edition and Rice Digital charge right away, or not until the item ships?

Thanks!

:ps4: Currently Playing : Shadow of the Colossus 
:ps3: Currently Playing : Ratchet & Clank HD Remaster 

:vita: Currently Playing : Nothing!

:switch: Currently Playing : Nothing! 

:3ds: Currently Playing : Zelda II (Virtual Console)

:xb1: Currently Playing : Cuphead 

#3536 315Retro   Westside Wizard CAGiversary!   1144 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:28 PM

No shit I'm glad I got in early on secret of mana then. My gamestop is notorious for fucking up small game preorders so hopefully they got this one right.

It drops THURSDAY right? Wtf...

#3537 kevers7290   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   182 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

kevers7290

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:32 PM

I would also suggest that you opt for shipping as opposed to store pickup for pre-ordered games that you suspect might sell out at Gamestop. They  Fuck 'd up my pre-orders for both UMVC3 and Killing Floor 2 and my local store never received my pre-ordered copies.

#3538 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9831 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:49 PM

What do you guys think of the One More Dungeon Play-Asia release? I'm so in between right now, don't know if I should get it.

#3539 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5996 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:57 PM

What do you guys think of the One More Dungeon Play-Asia release? I'm so in between right now, don't know if I should get it.

I had never heard of it until PA sent me the email announcing the sign up period. I did some research, and checked out some reviews and it looks pretty solid to me, so I grabbed a copy.

These CE's offered from PA are just insane quality and value wise, so I always grab the ones I have any interest in. At 1000 per system, even if you decide the game sucks, are not to your liking, it can be sold or traded later at a good value I'm sure.

"Listen y'all, if Chris of all people isn't complaining, then you know it's a non-issue." -tonyxvx

#3540 Jurai  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:59 PM

The SoM sku is showing itself as in stock at a crap ton of stores according to their api, so hopefully there will be more stock available than it seems