* * * * - 9 votes

Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

#5491 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6129 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:35 PM

I think you're talking about limited pre-order vs open pre-order for a limited window.  I can't recall the last LRG release that wasn't a pre-order.  The only difference is whether you have a month to pre-order or until their quantities sell out.  But, the days where we'd order on a Friday and have the product in 1-2 weeks are gone.   Everything is a fully paid up-front pre-order and those pre-orders come with guesstimates as to when they might arrive.  I'm not complaining - I know this when I order.  But, if someone takes their dates seriously, I can see why they might be disappointed.  

I remember when there was talk of them having a batch of "Golf Story" for the Switch ready to ship for the first people that ordered.  I ordered right away and..... nothing.  I forget how long before those shipped, but it wasn't quick.  

And when people keep mentioning their page where they list updates....  look, that's great and all, but I have no idea why it's up to the consumer to seek out the updates rather than LRG sending out updates (something else they used to do every once in a while).   Is it that hard when something misses the original estimated shipping time frame to send out an update specific to that game to the customers that ordered?  

None of this really bothers me, but I can see why some are frustrated.  I am so patient when it comes to their product that sometimes I wonder why I even bought it.  Going through my open orders is like taking a trip down memory lane... except for when I can't even remember!  "Headlander" finally shipped!  Woo hoo!  WTF is "Headlander"? 

You're correct, I was using the term loosely.  I agree with you that a regular e-mail is superior to updating some list on their website that most people never look at.  Unfortunately, they tried to do that for a while and people complained that they were sending too much mail.  It's fine to be frustrated and all of us have experienced disappointment with LRG over the past three years.  It's just that the discussion of LRG as a business has been done over and over and over again and there is literally nothing new that can be said.  As such, I believe it's time to get both of the threads back on track so we can actually share relevant information.  

#5492 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   4020 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:32 PM

Fairune Collection for Switch is up at Super Rare Games.

#5493 Madzane  

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:56 PM

Anyone played these games? Looks like a blend of Ys combat and simple Zelda puzzles.

#5494 JoshTX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2466 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:03 PM

I snagged a copy and kinda forgot about it, but I'm now being told by others that the Roller Coaster Tycoon PS4 game with PSVR compatibility is getting really difficult to find. Apparently it only pops up on Ebay occasionally, is sold out at all major retailers, and searching Gamestop's used  database is yielding fewer results than Job Simulator was back when everyone was panicking. I doubt it's a good game, but if you see it in the wild don't assume it's easy to find later unless you know for a fact you don't want it.  

#5495 StudlyOmelet  

StudlyOmelet

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:15 PM

They've said they have more SKU's than any other distributor... that's true. But their entire history of production across all platforms doesn't add up to one AAA retail game release.

WRONG

139 PS4 @ 4000 average print run = 556,000
79 PSV @ 1800 average print run = 237,000
30 Switch @ 8000 average print run = 240,000
5 PSVR @ 2000 average print run = 10,000

Thats over a million copies, about as much as Detroit: Become Human

#5496 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   1027 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:19 PM

WRONG

No idea wtf you're arguing, but you're wrong.  DBH sold over 2 million and based on your number of LRG Sony titles, that's 220+ skus.

Research and math is hard.

#5497 Jiles001  

Jiles001

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:25 PM

Anyone played these games? Looks like a blend of Ys combat and simple Zelda puzzles.

Reminds me of Shiren the Wanderer & the izuna games. Im probably going to get it but it doesn’t look too impressive. Knights of pen & paper, personally, looked like a much better release.

#5498 Equippt  

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:30 PM

WRONG

Lol I'm not sure if you were trying to prove his point for him, but you did a really good job!

#5499 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   4020 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:36 PM

I snagged a copy and kinda forgot about it, but I'm now being told by others that the Roller Coaster Tycoon PS4 game with PSVR compatibility is getting really difficult to find. Apparently it only pops up on Ebay occasionally, is sold out at all major retailers, and searching Gamestop's used  database is yielding fewer results than Job Simulator was back when everyone was panicking. I doubt it's a good game, but if you see it in the wild don't assume it's easy to find later unless you know for a fact you don't want it.  

Edit: I checked at Gamestops in a lot of zip codes and no one seems to have it.

#5500 JoshTX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2466 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:51 PM

Yeah. No idea on print run but I imagine it had to be pretty damn low. It was only in stock on Walmart's website for 4 or 5 days. I don't think Best Buy or Target even carried it. 

#5501 StudlyOmelet  

StudlyOmelet

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:09 PM

Lol I'm not sure if you were trying to prove his point for him, but you did a really good job!

So one million copies sold is not around the equivalent of an average AAA game like Last Guardian, Detroit or Ghost Recon or Uncharted Lost Legacy??? Because that's what I'm seeing.

#5502 Equippt  

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:53 PM

So one million copies sold is not around the equivalent of an average AAA game like Last Guardian, Detroit or Ghost Recon or Uncharted Lost Legacy??? Because that's what I'm seeing.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm sure we could find many other examples of AAA titles that sold around 1M copies. So if that's all you were going for then you're right and maybe I misunderstood your intent. However, the point being made before was that LRG doesn't sell enough games to get any special treatment from Sony, which is true. Comparing LRG's total sales across all platforms to a handful of games that underperformed relative to expectations (from Sony's point of view) is a great way to prove it.

#5503 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6945 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:55 PM

Ummm, the whole point of the "AAA" discussion" was that why would Sony give LRG titles priority over a AAA title? What your showing is LRG total over 3 years, where I'll assume even the lowest average title release at retail is in the 50,000-100,000 range, which still leaves LRG at the back of the production line in terms of priority.

Sadly, discussions like this move rather fast and often times points of conversations are lost in the shuffle. As what you posted really shows the point of why every other game being made, is going to get priority over a LRG or other "limited" game producer in regards to Sony's production lines.

So to get back on topic, if Sony tells LRG we can have game "X" ready by "Y" date, and then they get behind because of other more money making situations, this can't be helped by LRG. 

#5504 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2517 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:47 AM

Add to that Sony isn’t going to give preference based on Nintendo Switch games. More to the point I don’t think LRG gets any special treatment from Sony and if anything they get their small print games pushed in production for the bigger orders which is why they can no longer nail down ship dates even in the slower part of the year. I’m actually kind of surprised Sony hasn’t limited them on production SKU’s for PS4 stuff the same way they did for Vita even before the cart shortages.

#5505 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   12121 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:24 PM

Yeah. No idea on print run but I imagine it had to be pretty damn low. It was only in stock on Walmart's website for 4 or 5 days. I don't think Best Buy or Target even carried it. 

Amazon is showing a 12/31/19 release date on it (as well as the other recent Atari games that were hard to find - Roller Coaster Tycoon Switch, Atari Flashback Classics Switch, etc) - which lends a little truth to the rumor that Atari was looking to better distribute these games this year as they were very poorly distributed last year (only Gamestop, Walmart and Target seemed to carry them and they didn't have many it seemed).  I can see all of these Atari games getting a wider release over the next few months.

https://www.amazon.c...&sr=1-1-catcorr

#5506 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   693 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:43 PM

Do you guys know if there was a Deracine physical release?

#5507 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36943 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:57 PM

Do you guys know if there was a Deracine physical release?

Yes, only at Gamestop: https://www.gamestop...gamestop/167794

#5508 315Retro   Westside Wizard CAGiversary!   1260 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:19 PM

#5509 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2517 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:46 PM

Yacht Club is publishing another third party game which will be announced at pax east.

Here's the pic that goes with the announcement:

yacht_club_games_publishing_teaser.png

#5510 kevers7290   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   275 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

kevers7290

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:37 PM

Play Asia is taking pre-orders for the Japanese release of VA-11 Hall-a on Switch/PS4. Anyone know if it will have English support? Also, I can't order it from Amazon Japan for some reason (it's cheaper there).

#5511 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   19941 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:15 AM

Play Asia is taking pre-orders for the Japanese release of VA-11 Hall-a on Switch/PS4. Anyone know if it will have English support? Also, I can't order it from Amazon Japan for some reason (it's cheaper there).

Japanese Vita does not.  None of us will know until someone got a copy and find out.

#5512 anotherpoorgamer   Bird's Nest Hair CAGiversary!   5377 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

anotherpoorgamer

Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:49 AM

I sure hope both the Switch and PS4 version will have English support.

Japanese Vita does not.  None of us will know until someone got a copy and find out.

Yup, found that out on my own trying to find a physical copy of the Vita version . I still refuse to pay the resellers price for the LRG version, would rather go digital.

#5513 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   4020 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:49 PM

Gotta love Amazon, ordered their last physical copy of Axiom Verge for the Vita and of course they ship the fucking thing in a bubble mailer. I'm sure you can guess how it arrived.

#5514 Dr_dreadful  

Dr_dreadful

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:28 PM

I wonder if lrg will carry it on ps4 since before they did a vita only release. If so I'd love to get it on ps4.

#5515 pagongster55   First on the Worst Dads List CAGiversary!   271 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

pagongster55

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:32 PM

With the Messenger being put up for order tomorrow, do you guys know what time Special Reserve Games starts their pre orders? Also did they mention how many of each system (PS4 and Switch) they are printing?  I tried to look for the information on their web site but couldn't really find any answers. Thanks.

#5516 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6129 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:39 PM

With the Messenger being put up for order tomorrow, do you guys know what time Special Reserve Games starts their pre orders? Also did they mention how many of each system (PS4 and Switch) they are printing?  I tried to look for the information on their web site but couldn't really find any answers. Thanks.

Noon Texas time and it's an open preorder on both SRG and LRG for both platforms.

#5517 falsedichotomies  

falsedichotomies

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:44 PM

I'd like to know this too. They've nevet used the term preorder before so I'm hoping its an open order kind of thing.

#5518 SpraykwoN   the Chef CAGiversary!   2907 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:52 PM

The Messenger is an amazing game.  I think I am gonna get a copy of each on the Switch, one for each variant.

#5519 pagongster55   First on the Worst Dads List CAGiversary!   271 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

pagongster55

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:00 PM

Noon Texas time and it's an open preorder on both SRG and LRG for both platforms.

Great thanks for the reply. Guess I am in no rush if its an open preorder.

#5520 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   285 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:09 PM

Great thanks for the reply. Guess I am in no rush if its an open preorder.

yah open preorder for 2 weeks 4/2/19 is the last day to preorder at both SRG and LRG