* * * * - 9 votes

Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

#5581 AugustAPC   Not For Sale CAGiversary!   3630 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:45 AM

Did any of you fellas witness that whole April 1st twitter event with Limited Rare Games?

It's the most baffling thing, to me.

#5582 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   4091 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:54 AM

Pretty sure one of the limited physical companies were behind that account.

#5583 AugustAPC   Not For Sale CAGiversary!   3630 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

Pretty sure one of the limited physical companies were behind that account.

Uh... still insanely weird.

They actually put a game up for sale that you could purchase. The website was extremely minimal, with only one page, no information other than the price of the game and a message, in Russian, that said they had the right to keep your information. The price of the game fluctuated rapidly between $30 and $50. The site was only up for around 12 hours, during which they were begging people the buy the game or they would have to shut down. The developer of the game said it was legit. They swapped their logo out three times, and each time it was a blatant rip off of another company's (Limited Run, Super Rare then Strictly Limited).

Now they're saying they had to shut down due to lack of sales and that their creditors will be possessing all the unsold copies of the game, and that it was real and the purchased copies will be shipped between April 12th and April 19th.

What even is this?

#5584 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   480 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:31 PM

here is the link to Limited Rare Games

https://twitter.com/limitedraregame

#5585 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3635 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:25 PM

On the off chance it was real, it's going to piss off a lot of future completionists. I think 820 copies would safely make it the rarest PS4 game to date.

#5586 topchief1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   137 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

topchief1

Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:06 PM

here is the link to Limited Rare Games

In mother Russia, if you don't sell all games, KGB breaks all your bones!

#5587 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2419 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2019 - 03:00 PM

here is the link to Limited Rare Games

How do you guys even find this shit?

#5588 AugustAPC   Not For Sale CAGiversary!   3630 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2019 - 03:22 PM

On the off chance it was real, it's going to piss off a lot of future completionists. I think 820 copies would safely make it the rarest PS4 game to date.

The game is like, astoundingly bad, too. Several leagues below even the worst offerings from LRG and company.

How do you guys even find this shit?

There's kinda a community on twitter that posts about limited games.

#5589 SpraykwoN   the Chef CAGiversary!   3164 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2019 - 03:47 PM

Borderlands GoTY looks to be sold out online now from Gamestop.  Wonder if I place a 2K store order if it will arrive by tomorrow even though it says it will lol

#5590 Jurai  

Posted 02 April 2019 - 03:47 PM

I didn't even hear about it yesterday, hm

#5591 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6304 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2019 - 03:59 PM

I didn't even hear about it yesterday, hm

They did a pretty poor job of promoting their prank.  I tend to believe that it was an elaborate social experiment/art project and that they will actually deliver a game as it does appear the game was recently re-rated by the ESRB.  I just don't think they reached much of an audience yesterday outside of a few hundred physical collectors as the "mainstream" gaming media largely ignored them despite their attempts to get coverage.  

#5592 Jurai  

Posted 02 April 2019 - 04:38 PM

They did a pretty poor job of promoting their prank.  I tend to believe that it was an elaborate social experiment/art project and that they will actually deliver a game as it does appear the game was recently re-rated by the ESRB.  I just don't think they reached much of an audience yesterday outside of a few hundred physical collectors as the "mainstream" gaming media largely ignored them despite their attempts to get coverage.  

yeah I mean, poop slinger is a real game, and yeah, collector's are gonna be pissed about it for sure

#5593 AugustAPC   Not For Sale CAGiversary!   3630 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:01 PM

But why would they possibly kill the sales of the game and the entire site in like 12 hours? What kind of loan only allows 12 hours to sell inventory?

#5594 spoonTRex   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   130 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

spoonTRex

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:03 PM

But why would they possibly kill the sales of the game and the entire site in like 12 hours? What kind of loan only allows 12 hours to sell inventory?

hipsterbusinessloans.com ?

#5595 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6304 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:22 PM

I think almost all of what they posted was part of that social experiment/art project.  I don't believe for a second that they really had financial issues or confusion about what their logo should be or anything else.  It was definitely an attempt at humor, although it really didn't work that well because again, they failed to reach a large audience and most people were more confused than amused.

#5596 AugustAPC   Not For Sale CAGiversary!   3630 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:42 PM

I think almost all of what they posted was part of that social experiment/art project.  I don't believe for a second that they really had financial issues or confusion about what their logo should be or anything else.  It was definitely an attempt at humor, although it really didn't work that well because again, they failed to reach a large audience and most people were more confused than amused.

Right, the logos were clearly made in jest. But that still doesn't explain why the game wouldn't be left available. They didn't reach their audience in 12 hours so.... stop selling? Wouldn't the appropriate thing be just to leave the game up for sale?

#5597 Darshminder   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   310 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Darshminder

Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:03 PM

I think almost all of what they posted was part of that social experiment/art project. I don't believe for a second that they really had financial issues or confusion about what their logo should be or anything else. It was definitely an attempt at humor, although it really didn't work that well because again, they failed to reach a large audience and most people were more confused than amused.

I agree that it felt like a social experiment. I'm still weirded out that the developer seemed to be in on it. I contacted them directly, and got this response:

9e53ebe1731b28329c3cd62c53a41576.jpg

#5598 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6304 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:27 PM

Right, the logos were clearly made in jest. But that still doesn't explain why the game wouldn't be left available. They didn't reach their audience in 12 hours so.... stop selling? Wouldn't the appropriate thing be just to leave the game up for sale?

Again, it's all part of the social experiment.  They really weren't interested in maximizing sales or necessarily making any sales at all.  I'm sure those copies will eventually turn up somewhere.  Heck, if they really only sold a couple hundred as I have heard, those remaining copies could be very, very valuable.  

#5599 Jurai  

Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:57 PM

I woulda bought a copy if I'd seen it tbh, my supressed collector sense would have said I had to, joke shit like that appreciates in value immensely

#5600 AugustAPC   Not For Sale CAGiversary!   3630 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:16 PM

I woulda bought a copy if I'd seen it tbh, my supressed collector sense would have said I had to, joke shit like that appreciates in value immensely

I was debating it... I honestly should have. There's really no risk with PayPal and it would certainly at least hold its value if it's shipped. I was just in world of confusion and honestly didn't expect it to be pulled when it was.

Again, it's all part of the social experiment.  They really weren't interested in maximizing sales or necessarily making any sales at all.  I'm sure those copies will eventually turn up somewhere.  Heck, if they really only sold a couple hundred as I have heard, those remaining copies could be very, very valuable.  

That's a f*ckin' expensive social experiment. It's gotta be several thousand dollars, at least, to get a game printed by Sony.

#5601 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6304 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:53 PM

I was debating it... I honestly should have. There's really no risk with PayPal and it would certainly at least hold its value if it's shipped. I was just in world of confusion and honestly didn't expect it to be pulled when it was.

That's a f*ckin' expensive social experiment. It's gotta be several thousand dollars, at least, to get a game printed by Sony.

For sure.  Having said that, I think the trickier part would actually be jumping through all the hoops between ESRB and Sony and the replication facility which is leading some to speculate that one of the limited game companies might have had a hand in this.  It will be very interesting to see what shows up at buyer's doors in late April.

#5602 Darshminder   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   310 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Darshminder

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:08 PM

I'm actually still not convinced that it's real. I would've posted the "deal" for you guys if I actually believed it was real at the time.

Only now am I thinking that it might actually have been a decent marketing move if it's legit. They can claim they don't have access to the rest of the copies, only for them to miraculously turn up in overpriced eBay listings. Super slimey if that's the case, but profitable in the short term I guess.

#5603 315Retro   Westside Wizard CAGiversary!   1329 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:25 PM

Borderlands GoTY looks to be sold out online now from Gamestop. Wonder if I place a 2K store order if it will arrive by tomorrow even though it says it will lol

I think prob too late now, but I just got tracking info for mine. Too soon too say but it's ups. Not in the system yet. Maybe it's overnight.

#5604 SpraykwoN   the Chef CAGiversary!   3164 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:23 PM

I think prob too late now, but I just got tracking info for mine. Too soon too say but it's ups. Not in the system yet. Maybe it's overnight.

Yea I am gonna try my luck when my store opens tomorrow.  They have two copies but can't pre order them at all.  First come first serve lol.

#5605 315Retro   Westside Wizard CAGiversary!   1329 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:16 PM

Yea I am gonna try my luck when my store opens tomorrow. They have two copies but can't pre order them at all. First come first serve lol.

Woah it's actually overnighted. I really didn't expect that. Glad I saved myself the trouble. Good luck bud! I'm sure this will be a wider release than this initial one.

#5606 darren2e   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   51 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

darren2e

Posted 03 April 2019 - 03:54 PM

Darksiders on Switch has a print defect where the spine is black instead of red. Could become rare to have one of these first printings with the wrong cover.

#5607 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   12617 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2019 - 04:00 PM

Darksiders on Switch has a print defect where the spine is black instead of red. Could become rare to have one of these first printings with the wrong cover.

Interesting - do we know if this is something they plan to correct?  I actually just purchased this game last night from Best Buy after seeing it was released (flew under my radar).

#5608 darren2e   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   51 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

darren2e

Posted 03 April 2019 - 04:14 PM

Interesting - do we know if this is something they plan to correct? I actually just purchased this game last night from Best Buy after seeing it was released (flew under my radar).

#5609 darren2e   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   51 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

darren2e

Posted 03 April 2019 - 04:15 PM

Trying to figure out how to add a pic via this ancient chat page and the fact that I hate my wife made me switch to iphone...ignore my post above. 🤦‍♂️

#5610 darren2e   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   51 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

darren2e

Posted 03 April 2019 - 04:18 PM

https://nintendosoup...ack-spines/amp/

This site shows THQ replying to someone to ask where they got the black spine cover. It seems like this was an error they will fix. Got mine from Best Buy today and it has the black spine, but I had to ask someone to grab one out of the back because they weren’t out on display. They might pull these back and fix to red. At the very least the 2nd run will fix it I’m sure.