* * * * * 7 votes

Smaller/Obscure/Limited Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread - (Starting cataloging again, need input - see post #3513.)

#3031 adam81  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:21 PM

well, consumers and CAGs like us dont mind about the price. we get and buy what we wanted. its cheap. so we happy.

im pretty upset i bought Bard's Gold and found out its $5 digital.

Most of the LRG releases you could buy digitally for $5 or less.  Wait for PS+ or flash sales. Pretty sure Bards Gold has been under $1.99 a few times on PSN.

The whole value of digital product vs huge markup for a physical release just isn't there most of the time. They are small cheap, short, indie games for a reason and are sold as such.

#3032 Doomstink   AUTOBOT Retailer Representative   2955 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:31 PM

Maybe EAS isn't making much money for their developer partners, but their efforts are always well received, and fans love the offerings. You pointed out early on how Badlands wasn't really going to be making much for the Axiom Verge creator in the way it would be offered. And that you guys could have made him more, with less risk. Now it is known that they are given 75% of their profits to his sons long term medical expenses. So while they may not be making much, they are helping others. Maybe the games offered at Play-Asia aren't making much for those involved, but maybe some of those involved just want to offer something great to fans, and money isn't their end game.

Yes, we all want physical games to exist, but maybe you guys should focus more on what your doing. And not so much on what others are, as you are not privy to the details of those deals. It seems more and more of these games thru PA are being offered, so if it wasn't working, I would think it would be less offerings, and not more. But that's my observation on the issue.

I wasn't attempting to get philosophical on anything here, I was simply explaining that we can't, and won't, compete with PA on price or contents because that would put margins well into "not worth it territory" for most of our bigger partners. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered responding in the first place, but I just like to try and be transparent with people and let them know that there's reasons for everything we do. As a collector and consumer myself, I'd love to match EAS' contents and prices - but it's just not practical unless a dev requests it and makes it clear they don't care about their earnings.

With regards to the games we're currently signing - the issue isn't entirely a quality thing. We're exhausting fans with releases and we have to slow down - the best way to slow down is to stop signing the games that tend to get collective shrugs on here and from our fans. I hate that most of those tend to be the passion projects built by a small team, but we have to be practical. We need to stop saturating our own market and killing our customer's wallets with too many releases. I've seen niche markets die from oversaturation (toys to life, music games, skateboard games, etc) - I don't want to cause that here.

The thing I'm noticing is that even EAS is starting to get into the same glut. It was looking like they'd have four games in January so they had to shift two back to this month on top of the Rainbow Skies, Rainbow Moon, and Skull Pirates preorders that they already launched this month. They're mirroring the pace that landed us in our situation.

As for Axiom Verge, we're well-beyond that "feud" now. The thing I never mentioned is that we offered to donate $30,000 to the developer to help with his son on top of our standard 70/30 split. BadLand also offered a charitable contribution that, let's be honest, is much better than ours. We didn't know about this until a few weeks ago when we read the message in the multiverse art book. We were originally salty because we thought we had made a really nice offer and that, surely, no profit-driven publisher would top it. The BadLand folk are class acts whom I really admire.

Studio Head at Mighty Rabbit Studios and Owner of Limited Run Games

#3033 Bumslie   Have you ever seen the Boognish? CAGiversary!   5740 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:59 PM

I wasn't attempting to get philosophical on anything here, I was simply explaining that we can't, and won't, compete with PA on price or contents because that would put margins well into "not worth it territory" for most of our bigger partners. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered responding in the first place, but I just like to try and be transparent with people and let them know that there's reasons for everything we do. As a collector and consumer myself, I'd love to match EAS' contents and prices - but it's just not practical unless a dev requests it and makes it clear they don't care about their earnings.

So you're not going to release Ghost Blade HD with the same type of package like PA? Thought you said you would make a CE on par with PA or better and would stick to the same price? So is Ghost Blade not getting a LRG release?

BumslieOG.png

syepc.gif

#3034 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5627 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:06 PM

So you're not going to release Ghost Blade HD with the same type of package like PA? Thought you said you would make a CE on par with PA or better and would stick to the same price? So is Ghost Blade not getting a LRG release?

They are no longer releasing Ghost Blade per Douglas' posts on the LRG forums.  

#3035 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5627 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:07 PM

Most of the LRG releases you could buy digitally for $5 or less.  Wait for PS+ or flash sales. Pretty sure Bards Gold has been under $1.99 a few times on PSN.

The whole value of digital product vs huge markup for a physical release just isn't there most of the time. They are small cheap, short, indie games for a reason and are sold as such.

Looks like you're totally missing the point.  This whole thread is about physical releases.  If you don't care about physical releases of smaller or obscure games getting a physical release, this thread and these products have nothing to do with you.  Also, you need to put on a shirt.  

#3036 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5627 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 12:31 AM

Sounds like Special Reserve is planning to make a Ruiner announcement on Tuesday.  From some of the hints it sounds like they may have found a way to release the game physically after all.  

#3037 Green Card200   The Time Mage CAGiversary!   2232 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Green Card200

Posted 09 December 2017 - 12:57 AM

They are no longer releasing Ghost Blade per Douglas' posts on the LRG forums.  

Woah I almost cancelled my order when they said that. Glad I didn't.

Smile Support Society. We play horror/retro games -  Games I'm Selling/Trading

#3038 zlatour   Banned Banned   1785 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:13 AM

Woah I almost cancelled my order when they said that. Glad I didn't.

Bird in the hand, homie.

#3039 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5649 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:51 AM

Sounds like Special Reserve is planning to make a Ruiner announcement on Tuesday.  From some of the hints it sounds like they may have found a way to release the game physically after all.  

Yeah, I never understood cancelling this just because of the ESRB crap. Just charge a little extra to cover the cost, and release it. Prices go up on goods all the time for any number of reasons, and to increase cost here should be understandable to most.

#3040 Doomstink   AUTOBOT Retailer Representative   2955 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:46 AM

It's not my place to reveal it, but it'll be very clear, very soon, why we just wiped ourselves clean of the game. If we released it, it would have taken space on the schedule from something that wasn't already released elsewhere and in order to release it and better EAS' release, it would have generated no revenue for anyone involved. Alongside what I know to be coming, everything just compounded to make our release redundant. It stinks, but dropping it was the right move.

If you missed the game, do not rush to buy it on eBay. Values are about to tank.

#3041 Thomas96   I am Thomaticus! CAGiversary!   6062 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Thomas96

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:59 AM

Is there a change that LRG could do a physical release of HellBlade.  I'd love a package similar to Nex Machine (which I received today and was beautiful).  

Posted Image

#3042 jedex   Elite Chemist CAGiversary!   752 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:07 AM

Is there a change that LRG could do a physical release of HellBlade. I'd love a package similar to Nex Machine (which I received today and was beautiful).

They haven't released any triple AAA games to my knowledge and I doubt it will start with Hell blade .

#3043 Doomstink   AUTOBOT Retailer Representative   2955 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:21 AM

They haven't released any triple AAA games to my knowledge and I doubt it will start with Hell blade .

Whether the player base reflects it or not, LawBreakers is considered AAA - even internally at Sony as we dealt directly with their AAA account reps on it. For reference, it had a budget of well over $10 million and was helmed by the creator of Gears of War and the founder of Guerilla Games (Killzone, Horizon: Zero Dawn).

#3044 Doomstink   AUTOBOT Retailer Representative   2955 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:38 AM

Is there a change that LRG could do a physical release of HellBlade. I'd love a package similar to Nex Machine (which I received today and was beautiful).

We've had discussions with Ninja Theory as far back as a year ago (they actually reached out to us through Twitter). We're hopeful that we can make something happen eventually!

#3045 Miada   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   980 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:14 PM

Is there something going on with the physical release of Hello, Neighbor for Xbox One? I pre-ordered last week on Amazon, still have no shipping for tomorrow's release, estimated delivery, and now it's listed as unavailable. More interested in just getting the game, but figured if it's a limited run (which makes sense, it's going to sell more digitally because of all the streamer buzz) I want to try to hunt down a copy tomorrow even if I end up paying more than what I would with Prime.

My copy arrived yesterday.

:ps4: Currently Playing : Shadow of the Colossus 
:ps3: Currently Playing : Ratchet & Clank HD Remaster 

:vita: Currently Playing : Nothing!

:switch: Currently Playing : Nothing! 

:3ds: Currently Playing : Zelda II (Virtual Console)

:xb1: Currently Playing : Cuphead 

#3046 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   10405 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:00 PM

The Guacamelee Frenemies DLC can be gotten for free if you do a Quest on Live Playstation. Good for anyone who about the Guacamelee Super Championship Edition release a few months back. At least it will be "complete"

#3047 Thomas96   I am Thomaticus! CAGiversary!   6062 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Thomas96

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:20 PM

We've had discussions with Ninja Theory as far back as a year ago (they actually reached out to us through Twitter). We're hopeful that we can make something happen eventually!

Sounds Great!   When you negotiate the deal, work to include a poster of Milena Juergens in CE.  

Posted Image

#3048 AugustAPC   Not For Sale CAGiversary!   3337 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:27 AM

It's a crime, that game not having a physical release. I'd be delighted if you guys can solve it.

#3049 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   10869 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:34 AM

It's not my place to reveal it, but it'll be very clear, very soon, why we just wiped ourselves clean of the game. If we released it, it would have taken space on the schedule from something that wasn't already released elsewhere and in order to release it and better EAS' release, it would have generated no revenue for anyone involved. Alongside what I know to be coming, everything just compounded to make our release redundant. It stinks, but dropping it was the right move.

If you missed the game, do not rush to buy it on eBay. Values are about to tank.

So what you are saying is it is getting a wide release from someone?  Maybe from Nicalis, NISA, or another small publisher?

Either that or EAS/Play-Asia is just going to release more Asian copies.

#3050 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   10405 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:41 AM

EAS is likely going to do a standard release

#3051 SeraphiMichael   Divine Messenger CAGiversary!   456 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

SeraphiMichael

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:26 AM

Claire Extended Cut was my first LRG purchase and am looking forward to it. Has it been indicated about when Cosmic Star Heroine should show up?

#3052 denpanosekai  

denpanosekai

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:24 AM

Claire Extended Cut was my first LRG purchase and am looking forward to it. Has it been indicated about when Cosmic Star Heroine should show up?

CSH will be ready when it's ready (Vita port's holding it back)

#3053 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9793 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:15 PM

Retro City Rampage is available again at the vblank website, only the standard version.

https://vblank-enter...tandard-edition

#3054 SeraphiMichael   Divine Messenger CAGiversary!   456 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

SeraphiMichael

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:54 PM

CSH will be ready when it's ready (Vita port's holding it back)

I did not know it had yet to be released for PSV. It makes sense that needs to be done as they would want to release it at the same times as PS4.

#3055 Beamerjld  

Beamerjld

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:07 PM

Gang Beast is available for pre order on Iam8bit.

#3056 Miada   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   980 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:49 PM

The End Is Nigh arrived yesterday. Comes with a manual and a little squishy guy.

Question for those Nicalis Switch collectors : Do you keep the stickers from the wrapping? I do. I put them on the front of the cases.

#3057 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5649 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

The End Is Nigh arrived yesterday. Comes with a manual and a little squishy guy.

Question for those Nicalis Switch collectors : Do you keep the stickers from the wrapping? I do. I put them on the front of the cases.

I'm pissed, as I forgot this was due out, and missed the Amazon discount. Oh well, I needed to save funds anyway. I'll just try to grab the first edition before it goes away at some point.

To answer your question, I haven't opened any of mine, as I don't have an NS yet. But once I do, I'll for sure cut around it and put it in the manual for safe keeping. As that's the OCD collector in me. LOL

#3058 flybrione   Guitar Solo CAGiversary!   3113 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:08 PM

Is the little squishy guy in the game case? I haven't opened it yet since I don't have my switch yet.

997362.png

#3059 Miada   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   980 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:15 PM

I'm pissed, as I forgot this was due out, and missed the Amazon discount. Oh well, I needed to save funds anyway. I'll just try to grab the first edition before it goes away at some point.

To answer your question, I haven't opened any of mine, as I don't have an NS yet. But once I do, I'll for sure cut around it and put it in the manual for safe keeping. As that's the OCD collector in me. LOL

Why didn’t I think to just cut around the stickers? Oh well; they still look cool on the cases; I just have to carefully peel them from the packaging. The End Is Nigh actually has two stickers. One that says something along the lines of “from the people who brought you The Binding of Isaac” (this one got messed up a bit during the peeling), and then the usual “goodies inside!” sticker.

Is the little squishy guy in the game case? I haven't opened it yet since I don't have my switch yet.

Yep; squishy guy is inside in his own little packaging.

#3060 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5649 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:26 PM

Why didn’t I think to just cut around the stickers? Oh well; they still look cool on the cases; I just have to carefully peel them from the packaging. The End Is Nigh actually has two stickers. One that says something along the lines of “from the people who brought you The Binding of Isaac” (this one got messed up a bit during the peeling), and then the usual “goodies inside!” sticker.

Actually, to peel it off and put it on the case would work for me as well. It's just in the past, certain things like this once removed, no longer stick. So I just got in the habit of cutting around them and keeping it on the plastic, as it was just easier.