Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why Lost Sea is listed here. Hasn't that game been sold out for months now and never to be printed again?

Did Abzu get a physical release?
Not yet released, but you can pre-order it at Gamestop.

Not sure why Lost Sea is listed here. Hasn't that game been sold out for months now and never to be printed again?
All Limited Run Games titles and out of print games will be added to the list. The point is to catalogue those smaller games that you wouldn't necessarily expect to get a physical release. Whether someone wants to pay the premium price for these games is up to them, but I want collector's to know they're out there.

May want to sort the sections by released and not yet released too then so people who are just eyeing to purchase upcoming stuff can get in on that instead of going through the entire list with stuff that's already sold out, or hard to get.

All Limited Run Games titles and out of print games will be added to the list. The point is to catalogue those smaller games that you wouldn't necessarily expect to get a physical release. Whether someone wants to pay the premium price for the out of print titles is up to them, but I want collector's to know they're out there.
I didn't know. Thank you! I just pre order it :)

May want to sort the sections by released and not yet released too then so people who are just eyeing to purchase upcoming stuff can get in on that instead of going through the entire list with stuff that's already sold out, or hard to get.
Maybe I can do something like this in the second post and keep the first post as a "master list".

I like the idea of just having an alphabetical list of all these physical games we might not know are available.

Maybe I can do something like this in the second post and keep the first post as a "master list".

I like the idea of just having an alphabetical list of all these physical games we might not know are available.
Just seems like it'd be a good balance between the deals and discussion of the thread.

If you want you could always keep a catalogue of all games in the second and third posts, and then have the upcoming ones in the op.

I mean, if the purpose is to catalogue things, not having them in the op shouldn't be a problem since people are here to look through the list anyways, but might be nice to have games that people can readily pre-order or prep for in the op for those who are just looking to see what's upcoming.

Just suggestions of course.

Just seems like it'd be a good balance between the deals and discussion of the thread.

If you want you could always keep a catalogue of all games in the second and third posts, and then have the upcoming ones in the op.

I mean, if the purpose is to catalogue things, not having them in the op shouldn't be a problem since people are here to look through the list anyways, but might be nice to have games that people can readily pre-order or prep for in the op for those who are just looking to see what's upcoming.

Just suggestions of course.
I'll probably do that. Something like "Upcoming", "Available" and "Out of Print".

Just gotta get the initial list done, first, though. Gonna work on it more tonight, when I have more time. Until then, everyone should feel free to leave any suggestions. I'm open to all ideas.

I'll probably do that. Something like "Upcoming", "Available" and "Out of Print".

Just gotta get the initial list done, first, though. Gonna work on it more tonight, when I have more time. Until then, everyone should feel free to leave any suggestions. I'm open to all ideas.
Maybe list the games in different colored fonts. red for out of print, green for available, something else for upcoming. But that might be more trouble than it's worth lol

Maybe list the games in different colored fonts. red for out of print, green for available, something else for upcoming. But that might be more trouble than it's worth lol
My eyes would start bleeding like no tomorrow just trying to look through the list. XD

Thanks for doing this, should be a great resource and good info so far. Had no idea about some of these, pretty crazy how so many of these titles just go under the radar even for someone who keeps up with the latest releases. So many of these are PAL only as well it seems, definitely grateful for most consoles being region-free nowadays. Just glad to see a lot of these smaller titles get physical releases at all, last gen it was looking like the digital was going to be the only way these titles would see the light of day at all but with stuff like Limited Run, etc I am happy to see that the demand is still there to provide this stuff for physical collectors.  

thanks for putting this together OP. could you possibly put the platform next to the title for each so that it's easier for people than having to open up each one to check.

Although this thread is similar to the "Budget PS4 Retail Releases and Discussion" thread, I still think it's a good idea. Thanks for taking the time to set it up.

A few games to add: Darksiders: Warmastered Edition, Dead Rising 1&2, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, RE4, etc.

thanks for putting this together OP. could you possibly put the platform next to the title for each so that it's easier for people than having to open up each one to check.
Yea, I'll probably do that.

Although this thread is similar to the "Budget PS4 Retail Releases and Discussion" thread, I still think it's a good idea. Thanks for taking the time to set it up.

A few games to add: Darksiders: Warmastered Edition, Dead Rising 1&2, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, RE4, etc.
I won't be adding remasters of last gen's AAA titles. They're very mainstream and mostly expected to see physical releases.

Very similar to that other thread from a few months ago, but it's been pretty dead so if OP keeps this one up to date than its great.

I won't be adding remasters of last gen's AAA titles. They're very mainstream and mostly expected to see physical releases.
What about remasters of indie games, especially indie games that didn't have previous physical releases? Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams Director's Cut falls into that category.

I would also suggest adding these titles to your list (all three have only been released in Europe):

Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse

InFamous: First Light

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris (only the Gold Edition includes a disc in the UK)

What about remasters of indie games, especially indie games that didn't have previous physical releases? Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams Director's Cut falls into that category.

I would also suggest adding these titles to your list (all three have only been released in Europe):

Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse

InFamous: First Light

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris (only the Gold Edition includes a disc in the UK)
Yea, I'll absolutely be adding all of those. Pretty much every indie title you can bet will be on the list.

Trying to maintain a master & duplicate list divided by release will be a huge pain (coming from someone who maintains a similar list of games on another board). I'd say just put under each game "released / unreleased / OOP" and keep the one list.

Great idea tho - here's another one:

Rez: Infinite

Developer: 
Enhance

Publisher: iam8bit

Available Platforms:  :ps4:

Available Regions: NTSC-U

Notes: N/A

Trying to maintain a master & duplicate list divided by release will be a huge pain (coming from someone who maintains a similar list of games on another board). I'd say just put under each game "released / unreleased / OOP" and keep the one list.
I'm dedicated. This is as much for me as it is for everyone else. Once the foundation is layed, it shouldn't be too much of problem to keep updated.

I'll get Rez added soon.

All Limited Run Games titles and out of print games will be added to the list. The point is to catalogue those smaller games that you wouldn't necessarily expect to get a physical release. Whether someone wants to pay the premium price for these games is up to them, but I want collector's to know they're out there.
I'm assuming you will be adding them later then since you are already down to the "T's" in your initial list and missed on a bunch of them (Octodad, Breach and Clear, etc)? I'm also guessing you'll get to listing Retro City Rampage as well?

Great idea for a thread and thanks for taking the time to do it! Will be handy as I try to complete my collection.

Sounds like you are only listing current systems, right? Original DS probably won't be considered a current system but it has a number of limited and hard-to-get physical games such as Diamond Trust of London, Electroplankton, and the old Club Nintendo exclusives (Game and Watch Collection, Game and Watch Collection 2), to name a few.

I'm assuming you will be adding them later then since you are already down to the "T's" in your initial list and missed on a bunch of them (Octodad, Breach and Clear, etc)? I'm also guessing you'll get to listing Retro City Rampage as well?

Great idea for a thread and thanks for taking the time to do it! Will be handy as I try to complete my collection.

Sounds like you are only listing current systems, right? Original DS probably won't be considered a current system but it has a number of limited and hard-to-get physical games such as Diamond Trust of London, Electroplankton, and the old Club Nintendo exclusives (Game and Watch Collection, Game and Watch Collection 2), to name a few.
Yea... I'll get to the LRG titles. I actually have a couple different lists I'm compiling from and I decided to do one at a time instead of going across each list one letter at a time.

Might be better if people just hold off on naming games until I finish listing all I have. I'll update the OP to reflect that.

As for DS games... I'll look into them after I get a bit more done with the current gen and thread formatting.

For anyone interested, Jason Rohrer still has 3,700 copies of Diamond Trust of London for sale at http://diamondtrustgame.com/buy.php

Absolutely.
In my opinion, the scope of this proposed thread is too broad. I think it would be more useful to just limit it to US releases of these types of niche titles as adding UK, European and Asian English releases is going to quickly spiral into the hundreds of titles and make it hard to track the niche US stuff that's coming out.

Well then you're going to have a lot more games to add that are "Asian/English" releases, including titles like Alienation and Fat Princess Adventures.
I have every intention of doing so.

In my opinion, the scope of this proposed thread is too broad. I think it would be more useful to just limit it to US releases of these types of niche titles as adding UK, European and Asian English releases is going to quickly spiral into the hundreds of titles and make it hard to track the niche US stuff that's coming out.
No. That would completely defeat the purpose of the thread, which is to inform collectors of the existence of physical titles. It doesn't matter what region they're from. As long as they're in English and playable on an American console, they're worth knowing about. If it gets over a hundred titles, then so be it. Hell, the more the better.

Just make good use of spoiler tags.

Don't wanna see Asian English releases? Don't click the button.

Would it be possible to add the region or regions to the game list? Something like this: ABZÛ
[PS4] [XBOne] [US]

Would it be possible to add the region or regions to the game list? Something like this: ABZÛ
[PS4] [XBOne] [US]
I was thinking about it. I'm currently reformatting the listings I have done.

I might move the regions under the platforms or something.

Still a whole lot I've got to do, so just bear with me while I get things done. Might take a bit, but it'll get done.

Just make good use of spoiler tags.

Don't wanna see Asian English releases? Don't click the button.
I'm more concerned with the accuracy of the list being maintained and the fact that anything that might be time sensitive like LRG or other games with a short or non-existent preorder window will be lost in the shuffle. Also, how far back will this go? Will PS3, Xbox 360 and other older platforms that still see a trickle of games overseas count? Does a game have to be region free to qualify?

I'm more concerned with the accuracy of the list being maintained and the fact that anything that might be time sensitive like LRG or other games with a short or non-existent preorder window will be lost in the shuffle. Also, how far back will this go? Will PS3, Xbox 360 and other older platforms that still see a trickle of games overseas count? Does a game have to be region free to qualify?
The first post will have a separate list for upcoming games and pre-orders. Games will need to be either NTSC-U region or region free and in English to qualify. PS3 and Xbox 360 games will be added. You can't really go further back from them because digital didn't exist before them.

Down the line, I may make a third list which lists region-locked games for collectors who are interested in those and own consoles for those specific regions... but that's not a concern right now.

As a collector; may I just say-- this is the best thread ever.  If you put some dates in there and links to various sites...I'll be living on ramen for the rest of the year!  This is amaze-balls.  Thank you!

Wow, this is quite ambitious of you! I hope you stick with it, though, because it's an awesome idea. I'll definitely be checking in from time to time. Good job!

bread's done
Back