Playstation Now: $99 12 Months

I've not been a fan of PSNow, but then I considered that I used to pay $15 a month for the Sega Channel. Well, my parents paid $15 a month. That service contained 50 games a month and I absolutely loved it. Now that PSNow is more stable and has a massive catalog, this price is a steal. Add the 15$ I got for spending $100 and the 25$ I got for 20% off, I just paid $80, or $6.67 a month. That's well worth it, to me. 

The only reason I am tempted is because they just added Ni No Kuni and I would love to play that on my Vita....  I really don't think I will utilize this enough though beyond that one game hah

I've not been a fan of PSNow, but then I considered that I used to pay $15 a month for the Sega Channel. Well, my parents paid $15 a month. That service contained 50 games a month and I absolutely loved it. Now that PSNow is more stable and has a massive catalog, this price is a steal. Add the 15$ I got for spending $100 and the 25$ I got for 20% off, I just paid $80, or $6.67 a month. That's well worth it, to me.
Sega channel?!? Wow, right in the nostalgia. How awesome was that. I had a subscription for the mag sega visions too. Such a sega fanboy back then

Sega channel?!? Wow, right in the nostalgia. How awesome was that. I had a subscription for the mag sega visions too. Such a sega fanboy back then
My family was pretty poor when I was growing up but my parents got me the Sega channel. 50 games a month was a steal. When that ended in, I think mid 97 they were like "oh shit the kids need a game system" so me and my brother got n64 and ps1 shortly thereafter.

Good times were had with the Sega channel and it's death ultimately helped me in the end lol

Big Sega Channel fan here too (perhaps my name gave it away). I'd subscribe to PS Now if I didn't have such a shameful backlog. I'm glad to hear you guys say they're improving the service. 

Seems like a good deal but I really don't play old system games.

Plus I have tons of ps plus and Xbox gold games I never played.

Is that a deal? It seems cheaper just to buy used games for our PS3s
Keep in mind that one of the benefits is that you can play the games on multiple device types - PS TV, Vita, computer, Sony Blu Ray player, etc.

Playing some of these games on a low end laptop and vita is pretty cool. :)

The value of PS Now is ridiculous, 400+ PS3 games.
That's one way to look at it, but there's no way people are going through that many games - at least, not if they want to spend good time with most of them. IMO, it's still far better to buy used $5-10 a pop. Can't directly compare streaming to owning.

That's one way to look at it, but there's no way people are going through that many games - at least, not if they want to spend good time with most of them. IMO, it's still far better to buy used $5-10 a pop. Can't directly compare streaming to owning.
Yeah, I completely agree my friend. I'm on the same page, kept my PS3 and games.

I didn't want to be a downer to the topic. I guarantee I'd be subscribed to PS Now if I'd traded in my PS3. : -D

I'm actually significantly less interested after having seen the games list.

So much of it could be had on Steam/Origin/Uplay for cheap, with no subscription fees, and the relatively few extremely good PS3 exclusive games I think I'd rather actually own.

Granted, YMMV.... but with $99 dollars and a year, between bundles, steam sales, free games on Origin and Uplay and used game purchases, you probably could own at least 50% of that list. Without having to wonder if you're going to re-up your subscription and lose all access to those games. It gets even easier when you also add in Sony's own free games and sales on PSN.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually significantly less interested after having seen the games list.

So much of it could be had on Steam/Origin/Uplay for cheap, with no subscription fees, and the relatively few extremely good PS3 exclusive games I think I'd rather actually own.

Granted, YMMV.... but with $99 dollars and a year, between bundles, steam sales, free games on Origin and Uplay and used game purchases, you probably could own at least 50% of that list. Without having to wonder if you're going to re-up your subscription and lose all access to those games. It gets even easier when you also add in Sony's own free games and sales on PSN.
Same. With a few exceptions, everything I'd want to play on that list has a remastered/re-release on the PS4. I was excited for this service at first since I never really owned a PS3 and I thought it would be a fun opportunity to catch up, but it's a bit lackluster. Having made the switch from X1 to PS4, I sort of miss their system of backwards compatibility more. But that's just me.

You know what would be cool? If I got this deal and stopped buying video games for a year. 

But that won't happen. I'll likely see some cool RPG for the DS, or some game I really want like Deus Ex, and buy it. 

The reality is, this PSNOW is a multipler when it comes to having a backlog. Would be in for $49, though $99 is a deal, too. 

saw 'ni no kuni'

sold.

(seriously, it's the one thing i've been waiting on.  i can't figure out how to get my ps3 to work on my freakin' 4K receiver, so if I can get this to work on my ps4? - sold.)

saw 'ni no kuni'

sold.

(seriously, it's the one thing i've been waiting on. i can't figure out how to get my ps3 to work on my freakin' 4K receiver, so if I can get this to work on my ps4? - sold.)
Ni No Kuni actually has me most interested in it as well, but I may just do an individual game rental on it too

I'm pretty sure Ni no kuni is like $8 to own.

I get not wanting to bust out the PS3, though.
I do own it, the book, the steelcase, the plushie, the coin, and the strategy guide (alright, I'm not normally cray for collectors editions, but i'm a nut for Ghibli stuffs). I recently upgraded my TV to a clearanced 2015 4K Samsung, which then meant upgrading the receiver to support 4K throughput (from my computer, ps4 netflix, and an upconverting blu-ray player). The PS3 doesn't like the port multipliers I use for anything that still relies on HDMI 1.4(xx) from my last receiver. On this new one, that doesn't leave an available port directly into the receiver. So, while I have the ps3 out there, and a brightly colored cable to easily identify it out of the bunch, I have to jimmy around a small door on the entertainment center, pull out a shelf, then hinge the receiver out just to switch it in. And repeat to unplug. and that's *IF* it gets recognized (I have yet to figure the magic by which it selectively appears; that one may be on me and my setup tho. surprise surprise...). Which is all - by and large - fine, because I've only a handful of games on in the past year (KH 2.5, Akiba's trip, ZoE (finally), JoJo's All-Stars, and i think that's it).

So! - long winded... thing... aside, I view this as paying for convenience. And for the convenience, $8.33/month is fair price for a fair offering (not poor, not great or fantastic). Plus to have PS Now on my TV (directly), PS4, PC, and Vita? this is brilliant. Played Ni No Kuni last night for the first time in a long time, imported my save, and prompty died. A Lot. not because of the network lag or anything - it actually plays really well, even though it unfortunately tops out at 720p everywhere (yay awesome Samsung scaling! - but the 4k vizio in my office made this look turrible). BUT, it does play and look AMAZING on a Vita!!

Nope, I just died a lot because i haven't touched it in so long. And i suck at it now... Mostly because i suck.

I've thought about trying out the free trial but with the next tier being 39.99 for 3 months,
Where is the free Trial and how long is it?

I can marathon some games I've been always wanting to play.

Edit: Just seen it for 7 days.

This works on pc too correct? If so I might subscribe for a month or two.

Double edit: Read the details, if I like it enough i'll do it for a year.

I tried PS Now during the beta - it only presented games in Stereo sound.

Is that still happening or are games now using Surround sound (Dolby Digital or DTS)?

According my receiver, sill stereo, still 720p, still no 3D support for 3D titles.   Even at its highest encryption, compressed Dolby surround averages 448kb/s for 5.1 support.  Now, Netflix has set themselves as the benchmark for streaming, with their minimum requirement for HD (720p and up) streaming is at least 5 Mb/s. 

Now, that 5Mb/s doesn't take into account the rate Sony needs in order for controller input to closely resemble a 1:1 experience.  That Sony has compressed an interactive, streaming experience into such a small networking footprint is impressive already.  I'll forgive them for not adding the extra overhead for native 5.1 surround sound. Especially as the majority (60-70%) of the PS3's games only utilized the ProLogic II encryption, which warps the basic 2-channel audio the games were made with into surround, simply by manipulating the dynamic field.

bread's done
Back