* - - - - 1 votes

Paypal Digital Gift Card Security Issues / Hacked - Check Your Balances ASAP

Gift Cards

#1 malalrd   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   192 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:11 PM

Not really a deal I know but as Paypal Gift Card Promo deals are posted here so wanted to let you guys know there was a security issue with them.

For myself, I purchased some Best Buy Gift cards through Paypal Digital Gift Card on Aug 6th (when they had ebay bucks promo). Checked the balance today and they are all zeros. Looks like it is affecting mostly people who purchased gift cards last month. Still advise to check your balances ASAP!!!

Call Paypal Digital Gift Card regarding the issue :
https://www.paypal-g.../us/contact-us/

Here is an article explaining more in detail what happened :
http://www.doctorofc...ay...ast-month/

#2 .Beowulf  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:14 PM

this is why I try to never sit on anything too long

thanks for the info

#3 ritchardf  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:21 PM

hmm, all my gift cards have a zero balance as well.

#4 BossKey_Fox   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20947 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Thanks, hacked 10 accounts.  Shipping almost killed the hack.  

#5 reaperztoll   Banned Banned   3366 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

reaperztoll

Hm, I preordered some stuff at Best Buy which holds the funds on the GCs so I would assume I'm good. I'll have to keep an eye on some orders though.

#6 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3199 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:26 PM

I just spent the remainder of my balance a week ago. Good thing.

#7 comatosekitty  

comatosekitty

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:31 PM

so this issue is only with gift cards and not paypal accounts themselves right?

#8 donny2112   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   772 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

donny2112

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:34 PM

Thank you!  Had 2 Best Buy $100 gift cards from last month that now show zero balance.  Contacting PayPal Digital Gifts now.

Edit:

Contacted PayPal Digital Gifts, and they refunded the amount to my purchasing method.  The issue there is that my purchasing method was eBay Gift Cards (Oh, when that still worked) that I no longer have access to, since they were physical and I threw them away after they were used.  Have now contacted eBay to retrieve the eBay Gift Card number used for that transaction, and should get it in 7-14 days.  Will then have $200 in eBay credit that I can't roll into anything more useful, but that's better than just being out $200, for sure.

#9 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20888 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:36 PM

Mine are all fine, but these were purchased from a few promos back, so maybe it's just the recent promos that are being affected by this issue.

#10 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49879 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:44 PM

Glad all the ones I had from before are all empty from my use, not through asshat hackers that drained them out.   Thanks for the heads' up on it. 

#11 paul6   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   395 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:45 PM

Edit: Looks like multiple of my gift cards have gone to $0.

#12 TooPoor   ∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price CAGiversary!   11547 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:46 PM

I have around $300 BBY via PP Digital Gifts, back when they were 20% off via Samsung Pay.

Mine seems fine.

#13 Donut2922   Read the OP! CAGiversary!   10091 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:55 PM

I keep up with my gift cards for the sake of smart cash flow reasons. I don't see the point in holding onto tons of credit. The ones I purchased over the weekend are fine.

#14 TooPoor   ∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price CAGiversary!   11547 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:00 PM

I keep up with my gift cards for the sake of smart cash flow reasons. I don't see the point in holding onto tons of credit. The ones I purchased over the weekend are fine.

I'm on the opposite of the spectrum. Whenever I see GCs with a rare discount I stock up. 

Of course this is risky in situations like this. Can't have a win-win situation I guess.

#15 donny2112   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   772 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

donny2112

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:00 PM

Yeah, if it's something you know you'll eventually use and it's on discount/comes with a good bonus, I go ahead and get it and just hang onto it.  Sucks that it didn't work out as planned in this case, but at least I shouldn't be out money overall, even if the money isn't in the form I'd want it to be.

#16 abbabaab   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1966 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:38 PM

Thanks, OP. Convinced me to go ahead and drop a couple gift cards I was saving on some preorders.

#17 klimb22   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2466 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:51 PM

Thank you!  Had 2 Best Buy $100 gift cards from last month that now show zero balance.  Contacting PayPal Digital Gifts now.

Edit:

Contacted PayPal Digital Gifts, and they refunded the amount to my purchasing method.  The issue there is that my purchasing method was eBay Gift Cards (Oh, when that still worked) that I no longer have access to, since they were physical and I threw them away after they were used.  Have now contacted eBay to retrieve the eBay Gift Card number used for that transaction, and should get it in 7-14 days.  Will then have $200 in eBay credit that I can't roll into anything more useful, but that's better than just being out $200, for sure.

We would probably see many more stories like this if eBay didn't cut off the rolling. 

#18 bengi15  

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:23 PM

purchased 3 on august 8 they are empty now. two on august 9 is good no problem. problem is i dont remember if i use those three gc.

#19 sayu   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   621 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:08 AM

Bought a $100 Best Buy gift card on 8/3 during the 10% ebay bucks promo. It's now showing up as empty.

#20 daring  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:35 AM

https://www.google.c...t Card&filter=0

fuSRZCt.jpg

#21 Bumslie   Have you ever seen the Boognish? CAGiversary!   5791 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:54 AM

I have around $300 BBY via PP Digital Gifts, back when they were 20% off via Samsung Pay.

Mine seems fine.

Just send me them so I can't double check for you. I promise I won't spend them.

#22 GodofGambler   God of Gambler CAGiversary!   151 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

GodofGambler

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:18 AM

Perhaps use digital gift card to buy physical gift card?  Or buy another digital gift card?  lol, sounds like gift cards laundry.  =P

#23 MRW2276   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   644 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:49 AM

Wonder how many of the itune codes are up on localbitcoins.com :-)

#24 Narukami   http://i.imgur.com/J8SRXIT.jpg The hype is dead. CAGiversary!   2280 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:55 AM

Hopefully this is a major blow to Paypal. Garbage company.

#25 Person808   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1179 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:02 AM

I just had a couple of Best Buy GCs that showed a balance 2 days ago get drained to 0. Called PPDG and got the run around telling me to call Best Buy to check whats up. Has anyone gotten a successful refund or reissue of the drained GCs?

#26 elessar123  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:27 PM

P.S. If your cards were fine when you last checked, they're probably drained now. All mine were fine on the 6th. Tried to buy something today, and every single one is drained.

#27 scott2hotcott   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   868 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

scott2hotcott

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:27 AM

P.S. If your cards were fine when you last checked, they're probably drained now. All mine were fine on the 6th. Tried to buy something today, and every single one is drained.

My $150 Best Buy gift card was still in tact last time I checked.  I just looked at it, and it's now at $0.

#28 donny2112   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   772 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

donny2112

Posted 22 September 2016 - 04:51 AM

Has anyone gotten a successful refund or reissue of the drained GCs?

I haven't.  Paypal said they refunded the purchase (eBay gift cards), but eBay still hasn't given me the gift card number used in the transaction.  Therefore, I may have been refunded, but I have no way of knowing, since I don't have that eBay Gift Card to check!  It was the one time I had used it straight off the eBay Gift Card instead of putting it into Gyft first. :(

#29 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20888 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 September 2016 - 04:27 PM

So just an update on the whole issue.

Had a pretty good discussion with an informed rep (after dealing with a few incompetents and ignoramuses in between), it seems like Paypal is finally starting to take the issue more seriously.  All reps were sent out an email yesterday (yes, yesterday as oppose to weeks ago) in regards to this specific issue. 

From the sound of the explanation, it seems that they're trying to get someone else to pay for this mistake as the way it was explained to me they're going to try and get the money back from the other party.  Whether that is eBay, or Best Buy, or w/e; I don't know since the rep didn't elaborate further, but they're going to go through the process of claiming reimbursement for the transaction. 

The rep said it can take a couple of days, or it can take up to a week, but they will get me my money back.  In the end, it certainly sounds like they're trying to make someone else pay for this mess up, and not have to eat the cost on their own.

So for those that have been waiting for awhile after opening a case, it may get resolved soon as they're finally starting to admit this is an issue that this is an issue.

Ick, what a mess... ~_~

#30 donny2112   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   772 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

donny2112

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for the detail!  Just called PayPal again (before calling eBay again), and now PayPal is saying that they do not see a refund attempt from my previous call on Sept. 6.  (Don't know why the rep at the time told me they did, then. :/ )  They're going to start processing it now, though, and they said to just wait on emails from PayPal on it.  She didn't mention a memo, but they don't have to give that kind of detail, anyway.  Glad yours shared some behind-the-scenes info, though!  For myself, I've already converted the most recent batch of BB GCs to physical ones just to avoid this happening again with BB.  Have some other PPDG-purchased GCs on my account, but to this point, it's only been my BB ones that had issues.  (The others aren't so easy to convert to physical or I would've gone ahead and done that, anyways.)