PS4 Pro deals in Canada (Staples, Amazon Warehouse, etc)

For someone that does not have a PS4 yet, seems like a no brainer to me to get PS4 Pro at $499 CDN, compared to $379.99 for PS4 Slim. The price difference is not that big.

For someone that does not have a PS4 yet, seems like a no brainer to me to get PS4 Pro at $499 CDN, compared to $379.99 for PS4 Slim. The price difference is not that big.
Hmm, I'm not too sure about that. $120 is a lot of money, and weighs some serious consideration.

Usage of the extra power the Pro model offers is optional, and it remains to be seen if there will be any worthwhile usage out of it. I personally 100% do not care about better graphics, they don't make games better. Sure if a game is visually broken it makes a game worse, but a selectable better graphics option won't fix that. Higher framerates are useful. But it's optional and not something shiny and pretty that'll drive sales, which means developers will probably rarely implement it.

I don't know, that's, what, a 30% price premium for what will probably be minimal benefits unless you're planning on picking up the VR kit...
Game devs want to sell as many units as possible, so they're not going to start coding their games for the PS "Pro" at the expense of the PS4 owners. It'd be a major boondoggle if, say, Mass Effect played smoothly on PS "Pro", but was a stuttering, muddy-looking piece of garbage on the PS4; there'd be a revolt, and PS4 owners would avoid the game like the plague. Unfortunately for PS "Pro" owners, devs will always code for the largest install base. Until there are way more PS "Pro" units in the wild than PS4s, you likely won't see anything that takes full advantage of the hardware.
Also, you should be aware of the fact that Sony's 4k claims are largely BS. The PS "Pro" won't render most games at true 4k --- a lot of PC rigs worth twice what the PS "Pro" is struggle with 4k at decent settings. The "Pro" will just render at lower resolutions and upscale to 4k. Honestly, unless you've got a giant set and are sitting super close to it, the bump from FHD to UHD is pretty negligible. The HDR lighting will make a big difference, but that'll be patched into the good ol' PS4 with a FW update.

All in all, I really can't think of a single good reason why anyone would drop $500 CDN ($500 CDN!) on a PS "Pro"... If anyone out there has a convincing reason, let me know!

All in all, I really can't think of a single good reason why anyone would drop $500 CDN ($500 CDN!) on a PS "Pro"... If anyone out there has a convincing reason, let me know!
http://gematsu.com/2016/08/first-look-dead-alive-xtreme-3-vr-update

First details have come out of the PlayStation VR update for Dead or Alive Xtreme 3: Fortune, due out on October 13 alongside the headset.

The update will add a “VR Paradise” option to the main menu, which lets you enjoy the “Event Paradise,” “Gravure Paradise,” and “Photo Paradise” modes as PlayStation VR-supported modes.

In VR Paradise, you can use the controller and PlayStation VR headset to gaze at the girls of Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 at various distances and angles, and even touch them. It also supports the Heart-Pounding Attention feature, and if you touch one of the girls during Photo Paradise, you can also get a reaction.

I don't pick up hookers or go to strip clubs, but if you do, and you keep spending more than $1290 +tax, then you might consider this a good deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about it. I dunno. I think investing in a new graphics card for a PC might be better. You can get a 1070 for that price. It would run Mass Effect much, much better.

EBGames just released a trade promo.... Trade 5 eligible games + Xbox One S 2TB console for a PS4 SLIM.... It's a bad joke seriously, Why would someone trade a Xbox One S 2 TB so early????? for the SLIM???

Reduces my hope to trade my PS4 with a reasonable promo at EB.

___

For PS4 Pro Vs PS4 Slim, they announced that the Slim will come with Uncharted 4 (bundle) or NHL 17 (another bundle in Canada only). If it's a game you are interested in, it makes a difference.

I stil maintain that $120 difference (+taxes) is not that large, even if benefits for now of the Pro are not that clear.

For example, if you plan to buy a 4K TV soon enough, PS4 Pro can be nice for Netflix / Youtube / upscaling...

If my PS4 ever breaks in the next year, I would just get the slim. Additional cost of the PS4pro is just too much right now.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Honestly a huge reason for me to upgrade would be if the pro supported PS1/PS2 emulation...  (And really we should be able to play our digital copies of the classics on PS4, pro or not....)

As a side note while Nintendo fucked up with a bunch of things for the Wii U they did do the digital classics upgrade pricing right at least. 

The Pro is the PSVR console. If you're dropping large $$$ for PSVR, then you can afford the Pro. For everyone else, there's the Slim.

I have a friend who just bought a very large 4K TV a few months ago and wanted a 4K BluRay player to go along with it. I kept telling him to wait for the Neo announcement, it would definitely have a 4K BluRay drive in it! Sony invented the darn media, I guarantee it!

Derp.

The 120 difference I think is worth it for the extra drive space ($60-70 right there) and the extra $50 is for added bonus in the few games that will take advantage of it.

If the PS4 supported usb drives the way the XBOne does then I would never consider it. I suspect that with time the slim will simply disappear. Either way, the days where I would spend $500 on a console ended a long time ago.

Eh drive space on a PS4 is a non issue when you can upgrade it to a 2tb for about $80. Better to wait for the inevitable 2tb model that'll release sooner or later not unless you plan on getting an external hdd enclosure if you upgrade it yourself.

bread's done
Back