Playstation 3 500GB super slim - $149 at Walmart

ShadowAssassin

CAGiversary!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/PlayStation-3-500GB-Console-PS3/43604185

Yeah, I know, the same day as the Pro was announced. However, the PS3 was basically stealthily discontinued and will be harder and harder to find. Almost all major retailers are sold of out brand new consoles, and unless you want someone's crusty and dusty used console from Gamestop or pay over $220+ from scalpers, this might be your last chance to get a brand new one on the cheap. Either as a first-timer or a spare in case yours has a lot of wear and tear.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/PlayStation-3-500GB-Console-PS3/43604185

Yeah, I know, the same day as the Pro was announced. However, the PS3 was basically stealthily discontinued and will be harder and harder to find. Almost all major retailers are sold of out brand new consoles, and unless you want someone's crusty and dusty used console from Gamestop or pay over $220+ from scalpers, this might be your last chance to get a brand new one on the cheap. Either as a first-timer or a spare in case yours has a lot of wear and tear.
Not to steal your thunder, but I saw this deal posted on Reddit two days ago. Therefore, I don't think it's at all related to the Pro announcement in any way. Probably just Walmart trying to get rid of stock. That said, I agree that it is a very good price for a new PS3. I paid more than that for mine a year ago.

I don't think it's related to the pro either. I was implying it's odd to post a deal for a PS3 on the same day a brand new PS4 console was announced.

I don't think it's related to the pro either. I was implying it's odd to post a deal for a PS3 on the same day a brand new PS4 console was announced.
It's all good. I'm sure Walmart has a warehouse full of the things somewhere. And, you're right that they're probably scared of getting stuck with them. It would be great if their stores priced items as low as their website does at times. Outside of the random $15 games that the stores sell, everything in their stores is sold at MSRP. Personally, I'm sad to see PS3 and Xbox 360 games leaving stores. I miss the days that games didn't have to be installed and could just be played from the disc.

Why not?

Nintendo is releasing a NES system pre-loaded with titles that are 20+ years old. Great systems are great systems and are timeless. PS3 had some great titles, and PS4 has no backwards compatibility.

Why not?

Nintendo is releasing a NES system pre-loaded with titles that are 20+ years old. Great systems are great systems and are timeless. PS3 had some great titles, and PS4 has no backwards compatibility.
Not to mention loads of cheap PS3 games both in stores and on PSN. It's great when console generations end because you can scoop up a lot of good games for pennies on the dollar.

Not to mention loads of cheap PS3 games both in stores and on PSN. It's great when console generations end because you can scoop up a lot of good games for pennies on the dollar.
Exactly^

A parent who may not want to spend new console funds can get a PS3 cheap, and even cheaper games.

The question should be "Why would anyone buy a PS4 in 2016?", as the PS3 is a much better value, and with this being CAG, what kind of question was that anyway?

It's all good. I'm sure Walmart has a warehouse full of the things somewhere. And, you're right that they're probably scared of getting stuck with them. It would be great if their stores priced items as low as their website does at times. Outside of the random $15 games that the stores sell, everything in their stores is sold at MSRP. Personally, I'm sad to see PS3 and Xbox 360 games leaving stores. I miss the days that games didn't have to be installed and could just be played from the disc.
But ps3 games did have to install. That's the thing I dislike with this gen. Takes forever to install games.

Why would anyone buy a PS3 in 2016?
because I cant play any of the fantastic games from the ps3 library on my ps4. I bought one about a month of so ago for around $100 during that 50% of any ps3 console sale at target, and am very happy I did. Luckily I still had my 500gb from my ps4 after I upgraded it to a TB.

Because the PS4 cannot play PS3 games? The Ps3 has many great game like Uncharted, HD remasters, Heavy Rain, Resident evil 5 Gold edition,etc. Plus, still one of the best blu ray players.
Well, the ps4 has all of these, but still, its a great console with an awesome library.

However, the PS3 was basically stealthily discontinued and will be harder and harder to find.
Sony PlayStation New Zealand has confirmed they are discontinuing the PlayStation 3 for their local market, but I couldn't find any info that the USA is doing the same. With new PS3 games still coming out, I'd bet that the console still has another couple years left.

I've been looking for a deal like this!  My launch Phat model is starting to make me worry... And I have so much backlog left...

How's the build quality on the Super Slim's? I was told by a repair guy that the 2nd version (slim PS3) was the best built one but looking for other opinions on this one too. 

Sony PlayStation New Zealand has confirmed they are discontinuing the PlayStation 3 for their local market, but I couldn't find any info that the USA is doing the same. With new PS3 games still coming out, I'd bet that the console still has another couple years left.
Amazon, Best Buy, Toys R Us, Newegg, Gamestop, Target have all been out of stock of new consoles for months on their sites. No restocks. It may have not been officially announced, but whether it has or not, it's still hard to find new and at the end of the day that's all that matters if someone wants one still. And doesn't wanna pay a marked up price by scalpers.

How's the build quality on the Super Slim's? I was told by a repair guy that the 2nd version (slim PS3) was the best built one but looking for other opinions on this one too.
Super Slim is pretty solid, I think people perceive them as cheap because of the sliding top loader. I personally like that since it eliminates a failure point with an automated feed on the disc drive.

Also nice Warlock avatar. Haven't seen that movie in years.

I personally like the look of the original slim more, but I agree with reaperztoll. The sliding top loader means less moving parts and less chance of something breaking. It gets the job done. And considering that new PS3s are actually starting to get hard to find new, I would just say get whatever version you can a decent price.

I picked mine 12gigs disney Infinity Bundle almost 8-12 months ago for $120.  Kinda cheap but this is better deal with more Gigs.  Thinking buy another one for my back up but too many VITA games coming out this year.  Hope it drop down $100 on black friday this year.

Always blew my mind that the PS3 and 360 were able to hold much value when new.

Then again, Microsoft has discontinued production of the 360 so newer units will be harder and harder to find.

Wish I was able to grab a 360 via Target Cart Wheel last week.

Thanks to Sony this deal is even better because they went the PSNow route rather then the BC route that MS is playing and I am more fond of. Always nice to pay $0 to bring your disc to the next system. Just wish they would release titles at a faster rate and not pull a Nintendo of America Virtual Console trickle rate.

To anyone who doesn't know, 500gb on a ps3 goes a long way. I have almost 70 digital games installed and still have about 50 gbs left. Heads up though, if you have a bunch of games to install like I did, make a list from biggest to smallest, and install in that order. Digital games on PS3 need twice the amount of space before you install them.

I have one and I like it. I previously owned a 250 gb slim before I bought the 500 gb super slim and I like the super slim since it barely takes up any room at all. It does get extremely warm, though, so I would recommend that new owners keep plenty of space around the system. I'd imagine that the smaller size doesn't leave much room for a large fan inside. The sliding door on the top where the discs go doesn't bother me. Also, if it makes a difference, I should mention that a PS4 controller can be paired with a PS3 system and can be used on most games but not all of them. I only own one game, Trash Panic, a PSN download, that won't let me use the PS4 controller since the game requires you to shake the controller at times. Personally I prefer the PS4 controller to that of the PS3 controller. So I thought I should mention that little fact if that helps anyone.

Very tempted to get a backup for my backwards compatible phat PS3
mine died for a second time after getting it "fixed". I think I'm going to have to declare it dead now as it's currently "holding" my Kill Bill vol 2 bluray disc. Ordered this yesterday but haven't gotten the pick up email yet for some reason.

mine died for a second time after getting it "fixed". I think I'm going to have to declare it dead now as it's currently "holding" my Kill Bill vol 2 bluray disc. Ordered this yesterday but haven't gotten the pick up email yet for some reason.
do you have the phat PS3?

if you hold down the eject button for several seconds it ejects the disk

If you have an original model Phat PS3, definitely get a backup. Those things are all doomed to YLOD eventually. Don't wanna be stuck having to go to Gamestop to get a used one with nasty sticky residue all over it and black soot in the vents.

$150 is kind of pushing it.   Should be $99 at this point IMO.  For some reason PS3s hold their value better than 360.

everyone knows what BC means...PS2 games....sheesh
There are people on this site who have never played a Metal Gear or Resident Evil game. I have no faith in some people reading this thread to get the meaning of PSX.

I'd buy another ps3 or xbox 360 before I'd rebuy any of the current gen again

No hate those 2 systems are just da bomb even in 2016

come at me just not on me

Thanks for this. The bluray drive in my original HW compatible one went out a while ago (I think it might be dust, but the idea of opening the drive myself isn't appealing) and I've backlogged a healthy dose of disc based games since then. I'd been meaning to pick up a smaller one anyway, so this is perfect.

bread's done
Back