CAGcast #467: Lizard Realism

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks Forza Horizon 3, HDR-ish, PSVR, No Man’s Sky, and other liberal elite ideals.

Download (1 hours 17 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS

https://audioboom.com/boos/5081198-cagcast-467-lizard-realism

Get $5 off your order (with free shipping) at http://www.harrys.com with coupon code CAG
31698aa980ee65f99f1b267d9a1d5f2e06f30b00.jpg

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro -   Real Love - The Chainsmokers Remix

Outro - Whiplash and friends commercial, He-man

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you go on roller coasters with the camera just don't advertise what you're doing. King's Island doesn't like cameras on their rides. I've seen a few videos on youtube of employees taking cameras when they see a GoPro.

Cheapy the XboxOneS has some specific requirements regarding the type of HDR implemented on the tv. You might want to look into that before switching to a One S.

Why does building your own ping pong paddle seem somewhat like a Jedi crafting his own lightsaber? And yet exactly the opposite at the same time.

Today I learned that Wombat jerked off to the OJ verdict.

Great podcast. . . it was a particularly funny episode.

Cheapy are you trying to have Tai have little exposure to video games? You always seem very put off when video games are brought up by Tai (3ds for example) or when someone on the show brings up gaming for him. Are you worried that Tai will grow lazy and play video games all day or do you think it will hurt his education and he won't want to read as much?

Enjoyed the episode, though Shipwreck during the No Man's Sky discussion made my brain hurt. Wombat brought up some pretty good points as to why No Man's Sky is a mostly dull and shallow game (albeit a game with great potential).

@ Cheapy: I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to table tennis, but I was actually interested to hear you're building your own paddle. I didn't even know that was a thing to be honest lol. Is there some sort of advantage in doing that vs. just buying one? Better materials I'm guessing?

I'm still enjoying No Man's Sky in its current state. I feel like people who want something more meaty should be playing a different game, like perhaps Elite Dangerous: Horizons. 

Cheapy mentions picking up Star Wars: Battlefront on Origin with the season pass for $40, but I couldn't find this deal anywhere. Any hints? 

I recently learned that Sony only published the disc version of No Man's Sky.   Hello Games published the PSN and PC versions themselves.  I heard someone suggest that Shu Yushida's wording might indicate that Sony offered Hello Games PR support and that Hello Games did not take it.

I too am amazed by the people who still play destiny. its weird how people who play destiny thats there thing ya know? like nobody plays destiny and some other game they just play destiny

It's good to know Cheapy also gets road rage. Of course, his outburst at the cabbie reminds me of his conflict avoidance with his mailman.

That $400 HDR box sounds like a very niche product. If you really want HDR that badly, it would be better to sell your current TV in 3-6 months and get a better model. Spending that much for partial HDR seems really silly, and a newer model will have even better features at a similar price to the one you just paid for.

I agree with Wombat. If you list your game at a price point, it is open to consumers comparing it to other products within that range. That goes for game consoles, cars, heck, even bed sheets and gum! Hard to understand why Shipwreck would argue with that.

Quote of the show: "Shipwreck's like a walking Russian dashcam now".

Sony didn't publish No Man's Sky. It was published by Hello Games. Both Shipwreck and Wombat made this mistake. It's a bit weird to quote information that informed your expectations and have that be wrong info.

I can see something about expectations for a $60 game. But I think expecting every game to be Skyrim is absurd. Not every game is that good and certainly not that ornate.

I think mostly Wombat just wanted a different game, as Shipwreck mentioned. It's a collectathon RPG. For being that, it's really not bad. A big image problem Hello Games is having is that a lot of people bought this game who never would enjoy a game like that and wouldn't have bought it if they hadn't become overly hyped about the game.

This game came from a tiny team and did procedurally generated worlds and creatures better than EA big-budget Spore did. Far better! If you didn't like the game can I see being disappointed, but there's a lot to it too.

Cheapy, as a person with an HDR TV, I think you wasted your money. HDR is basically code for 10-bit color and REALLY BRIGHT backlights. The box upgrade isn't going to give you the latter. Whether you'll get the former or not I don't know, it depends on your panel. I don't think you'll find HDR to be world-rocking. Probably you should try it out on PS4 first (all PS4s have HDR capability with OS 4.00) before buying an Xbox One S to get it.

bread's done
Back