* * * * - 11 votes

Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

Playstation VR

#3271 Vulsker  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:11 PM

I haven't had a chance to demo the PSVR but have been wanting to bite. I do have a crap ton of BB gift cards so I am wondering if I should maybe jump on some of the discounted games and then hope the Skyrim bundle does drop.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Winning!

921791.png

#3272 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   141 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:03 PM

I haven't had a chance to demo the PSVR but have been wanting to bite. I do have a crap ton of BB gift cards so I am wondering if I should maybe jump on some of the discounted games and then hope the Skyrim bundle does drop.

GameStop said that all PSVR bundles will be $100 off on Thanksgiving through the weekend so it's definitely going to be $350 at some spots.  I'm petty sure Target said that as well, and I'm like 99% sure Amazon is going to have it at $350 at some point as well.

#3273 jboze84   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:05 PM

I have a couple Chase credit cards but have never used price protection. Is it that easy to do if I were to buy the Skyrim bundle today at like GameStop, then see it on sale somehwere for $350 later this week? I've never used price protection before so I'm curious how painless/painful the process is.

I've only used it with Discover, but I imagine the process is similar. Just call customer service to start the claim. Fill out a document. Attach receipts and the ad you're matching. And the check is in the mailbox in ike 2 weeks.

#3274 ackbar7   Flamble CAGiversary!   2990 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:38 PM

To anyone else playing Skyrim, do all ranged attacks seem kind of broken? Not just arrows but magic as well. They all seem to not get very far, and not in an I suck and they fall short kind of way, but in a the arrow and magic just seem to disappear past a cetain range kind of way.

metsfan754.png

#3275 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   65911 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:52 PM

https://blog.us.play...tings-and-more/

Bethesda has a pretty good post of some beginner tips and such about Skyrim VR.

13th Annual CAG March Madness Tourney Signups Now Live Until 3/16!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latest Podcasts: Day 0 Update & Let's Weekend | Latest Videos: Personal & SmashPad

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki | My Super Mario Maker Profile

You read it. You can't unread it.

#3276 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3149 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:29 PM

I'm curious on your opinion on this...

I never liked Skyrim or Morromind or Fallout or any of those types of game.  I'm just not into that style of game.  I'm going to 100% get the Skyrim bundle just because I want PSVR and that has the latest version.  I was going to just sell Skyrim before opening it.  Do you think someone like me who isn't into RPG's at all or those types of game would have fun with it?  

Skyrim VR is less like an RPG and more like going to Australia, except this Australia has dragons, wizards, etc. The point is that Skyrim (and the ES games in general) were always going for the "go anywhere, do anything" design approach which made them so popular. In VR that whole concept is taken to another level when every cave, castle, or cavern you're standing in feels like its actually in front of you. Half the NPCs have sizable dialogue trees so just asking someone about their shop will lead to an actual conversation with someone standing behind a counter. The game has PS3 graphics, a mediocre draw distance, etc. Some of these issues are even on the PS4 console version. If those things matter to you the PSVR may be a bad idea altogether and you might want to save and build a PC for VR. Otherwise I think Skyrim really is a glimpse at the imagined holodeck future people have wanted forever.

#3277 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3149 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:46 PM

To anyone else playing Skyrim, do all ranged attacks seem kind of broken? Not just arrows but magic as well. They all seem to not get very far, and not in an I suck and they fall short kind of way, but in a the arrow and magic just seem to disappear past a cetain range kind of way.

I'm playing a mage and since the difficulty is novice and I'm playing with a DS4 I find the game incredibly easy within the first hour. There was always some sort of falloff for ranged magic if I remember correctly but I don't know if it was significantly changed for VR.

#3278 T9X69   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   343 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:51 PM

I've only used it with Discover, but I imagine the process is similar. Just call customer service to start the claim. Fill out a document. Attach receipts and the ad you're matching. And the check is in the mailbox in ike 2 weeks.

I actually have the Chase Freedom card and when you mentioned it last night, my pamphlet that came with the card pretty much describes exactly what you said. I went this morning and picked up the last Skyrim bundle at my Gamestop (so thanks again). So I guess I'll find out how difficult this process is, but it seems fairly simple. More time spent waiting than effort.  

447864.png

#3279 yuyak   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   394 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:28 PM

I've heard mixed things about the Move controller for VR. My only experience with VR has been Oculus with the Touch controller, and this certainly seems like a step down. Is it much better than playing with the DS4?  I'm debating whether to the get the Skyrim bundle this week (hoping for $350) or wait for the Doom bundle (also w/ new headset, but no Move controller) and hope that that one also shows up for $100 off before Christmas.  Not all that interested in either game, tbh, but maybe slightly more interest in Doom. 

#3280 syndragore   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   697 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:45 PM

I've heard mixed things about the Move controller for VR. My only experience with VR has been Oculus with the Touch controller, and this certainly seems like a step down. Is it much better than playing with the DS4?  I'm debating whether to the get the Skyrim bundle this week (hoping for $350) or wait for the Doom bundle (also w/ new headset, but no Move controller) and hope that that one also shows up for $100 off before Christmas.  Not all that interested in either game, tbh, but maybe slightly more interest in Doom. 

I'd say just go for the Skyrim bundle. The move controllers are definitely a downgrade from Oculus Touch, but they're still worth having for the few games that really benefit from them (Skyrim VR, Farpoint w/ aim, any other game designed for ~1:1 hand presence). For a $50 difference I'd definitely pick up the Skyrim bundle instead. Also even if you're not too interested in either game, Skyrim VR retails at $60 while Doom VFR retails at $30, so they Skyrim bundle will still give you more value in that regard.

#3281 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   141 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:53 PM

I actually have the Chase Freedom card and when you mentioned it last night, my pamphlet that came with the card pretty much describes exactly what you said. I went this morning and picked up the last Skyrim bundle at my Gamestop (so thanks again). So I guess I'll find out how difficult this process is, but it seems fairly simple. More time spent waiting than effort.  

I was looking into the price protection on the Chase Sapphire Reserve and found this here:

https://cdn.f9client...b1639df17a024b2

If you go down to page 21 it has this...

What printed advertisements are not covered under Price Protection? Price Protection does not apply to:

• Advertisements for flea markets, fire sales, limited quantity promotions, seasonal sales or Auctions

• Advertisements of sales of seasonal or discontinued items including, but not limited to, holiday decorations, clothes, or costumes

That stopped me from doing it because I don't know how lenient they are because I would consider this sale a "seasonal sale" since it's all for Black Friday for the most part.

#3282 Finch106   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   548 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:47 PM

For anyone curious, the Skyrim bundle definitely has micro usb Move controllers, which is a bummer if you have any charging stands or things like that. Before upgrading I didn’t get a chance to try my original PSVR cables in the new breakout box, but most definitely looks like they’d have fit. The power button on the headset is right in front of your nose on the bottom, and in-line controls that used to be on the cable, are on the front left of the headset bottom. All in all, it’s the same headset with a different layout and box.

#3283 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   65911 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:01 AM

The Move controllers are great and way better for VR games that utilize them than DualShock 4 can ever be and you'd be missing out on a lot of the best games if you don't get them. The only reason to use the DS4 in Skyrim is if you're rebelling against the notion of motion control for that game and just want to play classic style Skyrim with direct control of the camera.

13th Annual CAG March Madness Tourney Signups Now Live Until 3/16!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latest Podcasts: Day 0 Update & Let's Weekend | Latest Videos: Personal & SmashPad

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki | My Super Mario Maker Profile

You read it. You can't unread it.

#3284 ackbar7   Flamble CAGiversary!   2990 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:15 AM

The Move controllers are great and way better for VR games that utilize them than DualShock 4 can ever be and you'd be missing out on a lot of the best games if you don't get them. The only reason to use the DS4 in Skyrim is if you're rebelling against the notion of motion control for that game and just want to play classic style Skyrim with direct control of the camera.

I am going to disagree about Skyrim. Generally, the Move controllers are the way to go, but Skyrim wasn't designed for them. You don't pick up items to look at. You don't turn doorknobs or anything like that. Most of the things you want that kind of control over in VR just don't apply in Skyrim.

metsfan754.png

#3285 mcdull   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   583 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:17 AM

For anyone curious, the Skyrim bundle definitely has micro usb Move controllers, which is a bummer if you have any charging stands or things like that. Before upgrading I didn’t get a chance to try my original PSVR cables in the new breakout box, but most definitely looks like they’d have fit. The power button on the headset is right in front of your nose on the bottom, and in-line controls that used to be on the cable, are on the front left of the headset bottom. All in all, it’s the same headset with a different layout and box.

Do the micro USB move controllers still have 2 metal contacts at the bottom? If they still have them, shouldn't be an issue. A proper move controller charging stand should use those contacts, not a the USB port.

#3286 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3149 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:25 AM

I am going to disagree about Skyrim. Generally, the Move controllers are the way to go, but Skyrim wasn't designed for them. You don't pick up items to look at. You don't turn doorknobs or anything like that. Most of the things you want that kind of control over in VR just don't apply in Skyrim.

I started with DS4 just because I really wanted to dive in and not fight the controls. I've heard real mixed opinions on Skyrim's controls and to be honest I bet class and playstyle have a huge impact. I'm playing mage and imagine using my actual hand to torch wild animals will help me live out a long held fantasy.

#3287 syndragore   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   697 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:43 AM

So the Skyrim bundle for $349 deal is supposed to start tomorrow right? I'm hoping I'll be able to order one later tonight if prices change on time...

#3288 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   141 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:45 AM

So the Skyrim bundle for $349 deal is supposed to start tomorrow right? I'm hoping I'll be able to order one later tonight if prices change on time...

Nothing has been official that it's starting tomorrow as far as like it being in an ad or anything tomorrow.  Sony said that participating retailers will be dropping bundles starting the 19th through the 27th.

However I think some of us are expecting it to happen at Best Buy because the headset itself is dropping from $299 to $199 tomorrow and that is in their ad.  I hope it happens tomorrow so I can go grab one at 11am.

#3289 jer0009   OLD CAGER CAGiversary!   331 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:19 AM

I was able to get them to honor the price today.
Just ask if it is not marked down in the syste.. the manager also honored a fee other black Friday prices for me also. Ymmv
CAG VET ANDLOVIN IT

#3290 cybersp78   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   22 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:06 AM

Skyrim Bundle was $100 off.  Just have to add to cart if price isn't reflecting yet.

#3291 mcdull   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   583 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:10 AM

Skyrim Bundle was $100 off.  Just have to add to cart if price isn't reflecting yet.

Live on GS and BB

#3292 TGStarfire   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   24 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

TGStarfire

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:16 AM

Yup, can confirm!  I just ordered the Skyrim bundle for shipping on Best Buy.  :)

Stand-alone headsets are down to $200, too, but they're the V1s. 

#3293 cbulas1   John 3:16 CAGiversary!   900 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:19 AM

I placed my order for the standalone v1 headset a few minutes ago, using a ton of BBY credit, so my total was only $31.xx shipped! Woooo!
Posted Image

#3294 Cryoguns  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:24 AM

Yep, Skyrim bundle ordered at $100 off here as well :)

#3295 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   141 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:02 AM

Sweet gonna Skyrim bundle up tomorrow at Best Buy or GameStop.

#3296 gantt   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2980 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:09 AM

Hmm, Game Informer was not a fan.

http://www.gameinfor...mer-review.aspx

I used to think Game Informer was incapable of giving a game a score less than 8.

Anyway, I love how Sony makes me choose between a $200 headset that fails to support a significant feature (HDR passthrough) and a $350 bundle with a bunch of hardware I already have (Move, camera) and an apparently mediocre game. It's as if they've hired someone specifically to strategize how they can be as annoying as possible. Probably the same enlightened individual who removed optical audio out from the slim.

#3297 sethrhf   The Watcher CAGiversary!   171 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:56 AM

Hmm, Game Informer was not a fan.

http://www.gameinfor...mer-review.aspx

I used to think Game Informer was incapable of giving a game a score less than 8.

Anyway, I love how Sony makes me choose between a $200 headset that fails to support a significant feature (HDR passthrough) and a $350 bundle with a bunch of hardware I already have (Move, camera) and an apparently mediocre game. It's as if they've hired someone specifically to strategize how they can be as annoying as possible. Probably the same enlightened individual who removed optical audio out from the slim.

I'm going to wait til the new headset is sold by itself for $200 probably be a little after Christmas if not sooner. I'm sure the old ones will will go quick at $200 so the wait shouldn't be long.

#3298 scottman   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3491 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

scottman

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:15 AM

target skyrim bundle live $350 w/ extra $17.50 off for red card.

#3299 syndragore   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   697 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:32 AM

Cool just grabbed one from BB.

#3300 SonictheHedgehog1337   CheapAssGamer4Life CAGiversary!   7473 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

SonictheHedgehog1337

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:41 AM

I'm going to wait til the new headset is sold by itself for $200 probably be a little after Christmas if not sooner. I'm sure the old ones will will go quick at $200 so the wait shouldn't be long.

Darn it. I already have the camera and move controllers. I was just about sold on the $199.99 base model until I learned about the differences with version 2. Why hasn't there been a standalone release for V2? 

Open spoiler at your own risk.

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Playstation VR