* * * * - 11 votes

Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

Playstation VR

#3631 space_space   CAG 4 LYFE CAGiversary!   720 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

space_space

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:02 PM

Trying to decide between the Skyrim and the Grand Turismo bundle. I don't particularly care for either of these games but I do want the move controllers, I don't care for hdr at all as I don't own an her tv. I see it's $100 for the move controllers on their own.

Posted Image

#3632 Gareee   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   467 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

Skyrim is great in vr, and would give you easily 100+ hours of gameplay.

#3633 Moonbathing  

Moonbathing

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:12 PM

If anyone is in need of a pair of headphones to use with their VR, Walmart.com has the Plantronics Rig 4VR Gaming Headset on clearance for $29.93:

https://www.walmart....adset/186294912

#3634 theemadgamer   SILENCE! I keel you! CAGiversary!   1005 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

theemadgamer

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:01 PM

If anyone is in need of a pair of headphones to use with their VR, Walmart.com has the Plantronics Rig 4VR Gaming Headset on clearance for $29.93:

https://www.walmart....adset/186294912

That's a great price, don't have experience with those headsets but use other Plantronics headsets and some of them are really good but for comfort and immersion, I strongly recommend in ear style monitors.  

#3635 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   65883 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted Yesterday, 12:48 AM

Golem has a release date:

Killing Floor: Incursion is coming to PSVR:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/12/09/killing-floor-incursion-heading-to-ps-vr/

13th Annual CAG March Madness Tourney Signups Now Live Until 3/16!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latest Podcasts: Day 0 Update & Let's Weekend | Latest Videos: Personal & SmashPad

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki | My Super Mario Maker Profile

You read it. You can't unread it.

#3636 phoenixlau   backlogged CAGiversary!   376 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 03:34 AM

Can the Aim controller that comes with the Farpoint bundle function as a janky version of a regular Move controller?  I already have one PS3 Move controller, so if the Aim controller can pull double duty reasonably well I'm hoping I don't have to spend another $100 on the two pack Moves.

:pc: Shadow Warrior 2 - $10

:pc: Shadow Warrior 1 - $1

:pc: Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition - $1 /// Stories: Path of Destinies - $1

:pc: Jotun - $1 /// Nuclear Throne - $1 /// Rogue Legacy $1 /// Thomas Was Alone - $1

:pc: Chariot - $1 /// Awesomenauts - $1 /// Punch Club - $1

...........Check my sell list! https://www.cheapass.../#entry12310450

#3637 Thebacklash   Not your Fathers Root Beer+Vanilla Frosty=Best RB Float! CAGiversary!   1337 Posts   Joined 3.0 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted Yesterday, 03:52 AM

Can the Aim controller that comes with the Farpoint bundle function as a janky version of a regular Move controller?  I already have one PS3 Move controller, so if the Aim controller can pull double duty reasonably well I'm hoping I don't have to spend another $100 on the two pack Moves.

buy a 2nd ps3 move controller cheaper. And no the Aim controller comes up as the Aim controller

Gamestop $30 used, amazon $32 AWD (single Move controller)

#3638 sorabora  

sorabora

Posted Yesterday, 05:14 AM

Apologies if this isn’t the proper place - but having just had my first VR experience with the Skyrim Bundle that Sony offered as a trial - my impressions are (1) wow, it’s like everything is smothered in Vaseline; and (2) some of this is incredibly fun/funny.

The graphics thing is just a fact of life, yes? I have a Pro + KS8000 (4K HDR) so playing the VR versions of games can be graphically brutal (GT Sport, RE7, Thumper). But then again, as I stated above, it also brings a lot of laughter and many “whoa” moments.

#3639 mcdull   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   578 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 05:59 AM

Trying to decide between the Skyrim and the Grand Turismo bundle. I don't particularly care for either of these games but I do want the move controllers, I don't care for hdr at all as I don't own an her tv. I see it's $100 for the move controllers on their own.

I think I've seen it on sale for $70 at a few places before thanksgiving.

Aim controller is designed to be held with 2 hands, it's a rifle not a pistol. You will have a hard to wield it with 1 hand (the action buttons are at the back end)

#3640 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   65883 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted Yesterday, 02:09 PM

Apologies if this isn’t the proper place - but having just had my first VR experience with the Skyrim Bundle that Sony offered as a trial - my impressions are (1) wow, it’s like everything is smothered in Vaseline; and (2) some of this is incredibly fun/funny.

The graphics thing is just a fact of life, yes? I have a Pro + KS8000 (4K HDR) so playing the VR versions of games can be graphically brutal (GT Sport, RE7, Thumper). But then again, as I stated above, it also brings a lot of laughter and many “whoa” moments.

It depends on the game, but some of them look great (Thumper, Superhot VR, Farpoint, Battlezone, Wayward Sky) when they're VR native games.

Latest Podcasts: Day 0 Update & Let's Weekend | Latest Videos: Personal & SmashPad

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki | My Super Mario Maker Profile

#3641 zebular   OG Gamer CAGiversary!   620 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 02:21 PM

It's only going to get better from here on out as devs play with how to get the most out of the hardware limitations. They are already starting to do things like render what is in the middle of your view at a higher resolution and lower the resolution in your peripherals. Basically, if PSVR sells well enough, you better believe they are going to focus of squeezing every last ounce of the console to give you the best experience. I would love to see what Naughty Dog could do with it.

9aeed60f-74eb-45fe-8b08-f0cb1a176d75.jpg0d2df1e8-7c41-42c3-93cd-b5b2e435a98b.jpg

#3642 boneless   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1662 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 10:20 PM

Has anyone tried an extension cable for the PS4 camera? There's an unofficial one that I think is out of the UK sold on their amazon website but I can't get. I think this is it on ebay

https://www.ebay.com...7QAAOSw3~tZa9X-

The reviews from amazon UK says it works fine for video but the audio is poor. I recently wall-mounted my tv and have conduits behind it to a media shelf off the the side so I can't run the cable since it's too short.

#3643 kahleeb   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   49 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 02:32 AM

I also apologize if this is not the place... but.... I was one of the 1,400 lucky ones that got the in-home trial of PSVR. My first experience is PS VR is terrible. I haven't been able to play more than 15 minutes of Skyrim due to simulator sickness. I have tried both Move Controllers and Dualshock (I find the Dualshock to be slightly better). I hate the button layout on the Move controllers and feel Sony really should redesign them. 

Visually, the graphics on PSVR are so low-resolution compared to native PS4 games that it almost seems blurry at times. I have tried adjusting the settings for IPD and made sure the lenses are clear and on correctly. Can anyone offer any suggestions? I really want to love this thing but even the videos I have watched reminded me of low-resolution Andoid/iOS VR.

Is Skyrim just not a good game for a first VR experience? Maybe Sony should have done the trial with a different game?

#3644 Gareee   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   467 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 02:52 AM

I also apologize if this is not the place... but.... I was one of the 1,400 lucky ones that got the in-home trial of PSVR. My first experience is PS VR is terrible. I haven't been able to play more than 15 minutes of Skyrim due to simulator sickness. I have tried both Move Controllers and Dualshock (I find the Dualshock to be slightly better). I hate the button layout on the Move controllers and feel Sony really should redesign them.

Visually, the graphics on PSVR are so low-resolution compared to native PS4 games that it almost seems blurry at times. I have tried adjusting the settings for IPD and made sure the lenses are clear and on correctly. Can anyone offer any suggestions? I really want to love this thing but even the videos I have watched reminded me of low-resolution Andoid/iOS VR.

Is Skyrim just not a good game for a first VR experience? Maybe Sony should have done the trial with a different game?

You need to use the teleport movement option not the smooth... It takes you a while to adapt to vr. My wife gets motion sickness, and she can play skyrim for over 5 hours without problems.

Also use a static chair, not a swivel chair. Sony just released updated move controllers, and they work great on skyrim, all thing considered. Try the demo disc first, with a bunch of shorter varied experiences.

#3645 lakers2008   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   693 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

lakers2008

Posted Today, 03:12 AM

anyone else get the headset lenses with scratches? just opened the skyrim bundle. set the whole thing up. when I get to configuring the headset with camera I noticed the lenses where scratched a bit? will the lenses having some scratches affect the view? didn't get to try any games yet but wondering if it's just best to return it and rebuy. bought it from Best Buy new. gonna suck having to put everything back in the box for a return.

#3646 Gareee   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   467 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 03:24 AM

I can't believe a new psvr would be scratched or if the box. I'd return it and rebut for the cost of it.

#3647 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   4853 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 04:43 AM

anyone else get the headset lenses with scratches? just opened the skyrim bundle. set the whole thing up. when I get to configuring the headset with camera I noticed the lenses where scratched a bit? will the lenses having some scratches affect the view? didn't get to try any games yet but wondering if it's just best to return it and rebuy. bought it from Best Buy new. gonna suck having to put everything back in the box for a return.

Yes, the lenses that came on the trial unit seemed slightly scratched. Having tried it for a couple days, it’s cool but I’ve also found that I feel terrible after using it ... not like having to get sick but just very disjointed and I think part of it is eye strain from the blur (Skyrim really is blurry ... I’ve seen a bunch of people on message boards saying it’s not ... but it is). I like the bundle but not enough to keep it ... Skyrim was the game that interested me most and I think I’ll be all in for PSVR 2 when the resolution is improved. But for right now, it’s just not quite there enough for me.

#3648 kahleeb   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   49 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 04:58 AM

You need to use the teleport movement option not the smooth... It takes you a while to adapt to vr. My wife gets motion sickness, and she can play skyrim for over 5 hours without problems.

Also use a static chair, not a swivel chair. Sony just released updated move controllers, and they work great on skyrim, all thing considered. Try the demo disc first, with a bunch of shorter varied experiences.

To be honest,  when looking at a device that is going to cost me $299.99 to keep, why do I have to do special things to use it? It seems like that ensures it won't be possible to ever hit mass market with things like that.

I will try the teleport movement again but I really hated it. It really doesn't fit the Skyrim world to me at all. Since my package included Move controllers, I am assuming these are the updated ones. They are terrible and very unfriendly to use in Skyrim. The UI in the game, with Move, is complete and utter trash. 

I appreciate your feedback on the chair and control method though. I will give it a try but so far, PS VR is one of the most disappointing things I have ever used.

#3649 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3145 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 05:22 AM

To be honest,  when looking at a device that is going to cost me $299.99 to keep, why do I have to do special things to use it? It seems like that ensures it won't be possible to ever hit mass market with things like that.

I will try the teleport movement again but I really hated it. It really doesn't fit the Skyrim world to me at all. Since my package included Move controllers, I am assuming these are the updated ones. They are terrible and very unfriendly to use in Skyrim. The UI in the game, with Move, is complete and utter trash. 

I appreciate your feedback on the chair and control method though. I will give it a try but so far, PS VR is one of the most disappointing things I have ever used.

It's a sliding scale. If someone said they love videogames and their friend told them to buy a PS4 only to learn that person meant the love Candy Crush they might easily be setting themselves up for hilarious disappointment. The media (especially tech media like Vox, Techcrunch, etc.) did an impressive job building VR up to be the second coming only to assassinate it once they learned the 1st generation was going to be extremely limited.

This is classic early adoption. Not only are there risks but they are new risks. Maybe you heard about VR sickness but it's especially bad to do something supposedly fun that makes you sick. There's plenty of experiences with better graphics that are static and will limit motion sickness but the barrier to entry for VR in the 1st gen is pretty  high.

#3650 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   65883 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted Today, 05:30 AM

I'd suggest trying out the demo discs on PSN to try out a variety of the PSVR games that are out there. The VR native games are much more impressive visually than the stuff that is just ported or retrofitted to VR.

#3651 kahleeb   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   49 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 05:32 AM

It's a sliding scale. If someone said they love videogames and their friend told them to buy a PS4 only to learn that person meant the love Candy Crush they might easily be setting themselves up for hilarious disappointment. The media (especially tech media like Vox, Techcrunch, etc.) did an impressive job building VR up to be the second coming only to assassinate it once they learned the 1st generation was going to be extremely limited.

This is classic early adoption. Not only are there risks but they are new risks. Maybe you heard about VR sickness but it's especially bad to do something supposedly fun that makes you sick. There's plenty of experiences with better graphics that are static and will limit motion sickness but the barrier to entry for VR in the 1st gen is pretty  high.

I definitely feel Sony should offer retailers to take back all PSVR hardware within 14 days if a consumer experiences issues. Not sure what the normal return policies are for this hardware out there.  Also, if first gen VR is this bad and some people can't play it, wouldn't this kill it off? I don't see how VR can become the "next big thing" unless it can allow for 99.999% of its users to play with no issues.  PS4 plays the same as all other PlayStation devices have played but with better visuals. The only issue is if a person is physically unable to use the controller. This allows for 99.999% of all users to play. Same goes for every other console.

Was really hoping I was just using PSVR wrong. This is really shaping up to be the most disappointing consumer electronic device I can recall in my adult life (I am 38).  I have played some other VR games on Vive and Rift and never experienced any "simulator sickness." So I am wondering if it is just blurry textures and low resolution due to PS4 not being powerful enough to properly do this technology?

#3652 kahleeb   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   49 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 05:34 AM

I'd suggest trying out the demo discs on PSN to try out a variety of the PSVR games that are out there. The VR native games are much more impressive visually than the stuff that is just ported or retrofitted to VR.

Will definitely give this a try. If I enjoy the other demos, I probably will still have to send back the $299.99 Skyrim VR Trial bundle as I hate to invest extra money on a title that I can't play though :( 

#3653 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   65883 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted Today, 05:42 AM

I definitely feel Sony should offer retailers to take back all PSVR hardware within 14 days if a consumer experiences issues. Not sure what the normal return policies are for this hardware out there.  Also, if first gen VR is this bad and some people can't play it, wouldn't this kill it off? I don't see how VR can become the "next big thing" unless it can allow for 99.999% of its users to play with no issues.  PS4 plays the same as all other PlayStation devices have played but with better visuals. The only issue is if a person is physically unable to use the controller. This allows for 99.999% of all users to play. Same goes for every other console.

Was really hoping I was just using PSVR wrong. This is really shaping up to be the most disappointing consumer electronic device I can recall in my adult life (I am 38).  I have played some other VR games on Vive and Rift and never experienced any "simulator sickness." So I am wondering if it is just blurry textures and low resolution due to PS4 not being powerful enough to properly do this technology?

It's completely unique to each game and person, not the hardware. Certain games and options in those games give me issues (like Skyrim VR with locomotion or Driveclub VR), but the vast majority is perfectly fine for me while others have different experiences. The same thing happens with Vive and Rift, so you could easily have been lucky to not play the games that could've caused issues there. It's not really an issue to generalize across everything when you've only experienced it from one game.

Will definitely give this a try. If I enjoy the other demos, I probably will still have to send back the $299.99 Skyrim VR Trial bundle as I hate to invest extra money on a title that I can't play though :( 

You can easily sell the game and have everything else that's necessary for PSVR for a bit cheaper.

#3654 mcdull   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   578 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 06:10 AM

Because everyone is physically different. Some people can't watch 3D movie no matter what.

All VR headset are basically using the same technology until there is a breakthrough using something else.

Might be you need to wait till what's in Accel World that using brainwave directly project the virtual world into your brain.

And it's doesn't need VR to enjoy video game (and it's limited to game using first person view), there are plenty of games to enjoy without VR.

#3655 Thebacklash   Not your Fathers Root Beer+Vanilla Frosty=Best RB Float! CAGiversary!   1337 Posts   Joined 3.0 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted Today, 07:12 AM

definitely play all the free demos, Skyrim may be a great game... but I for one will be trading/selling my VR copy I got. If I never played any Skyrim before, I may think differently. 

I thought I'd love doom.. It's ok. 

Absolutely love Farpoint, Rush of Blood. And for God's sake Sony.... MAKE A FULL LONDON HEIST GAME!!

The London Heist felt like a demo, of a damn near perfect VR game. I *need* London Heist 2.

#3656 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   4853 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 07:28 AM

Was impressed by the VR portion of Tomb Raider ... seems well done. The Spider-man promo was kind of fun too ... wouldn’t mind seeing some of these franchises put out a full fledged game, but I can understand they’re testing the water. Still really on the fence though, the Move controllers seem just as bad as I remember from the PS3 era ... and with the lack of the navigator controller they seem even more inferior. Wish Sony would invest in something closer to what the Rift offers.

#3657 Gareee   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   467 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 12:48 PM

If you are doing the test of the psvr, did you calibrate the psvr for your eye distance? That and position calibration is *REALLY IMPORTANT* This is advanced tech that requires adapting to.

The reason you need a non swivel chair, is Because while in vr, you are going to want to turn like crazy. Sit on a computer chair and just spin for 5 minutes, and then talk me you aren't dizzy/sick from it. That isn't the tech, it's is doing stupid things while trying to use it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Playstation VR