* * * * - 13 votes

Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

Playstation VR

#4891 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   516 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:25 PM

Is the RE7 DLC free or you gotta pay for it?

My copy of SuperHot VR came today from that eBay dude in the UK.  I don't know if I'll have time to try it out tonight but definitely will tomorrow.  I've never played that game and everyone raves about it so I'm curious as shit about it.

#4892 daruler022   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   166 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

daruler022

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:48 PM

Is the RE7 DLC free or you gotta pay for it?

My copy of SuperHot VR came today from that eBay dude in the UK.  I don't know if I'll have time to try it out tonight but definitely will tomorrow.  I've never played that game and everyone raves about it so I'm curious as shit about it.

The Chris Redfield DLC is free, but the rest is pay to play. It was all on sale during the last PSN VR sale. You can get the Gold Edition for $25 from GS and includes all of the DLC except for the Chris Redfield one. That's what I did.

#4893 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68235 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:52 PM

https://blog.us.play...vr-this-spring/

Torn is coming to PSVR this Spring:

#4894 daruler022   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   166 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

daruler022

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:25 PM

That game looks promising!! The environment had a Bioshock type feel to it and I would love to play Bioshock in VR.

Am I the only one, or does it just make sense that the Outlast series should get a VR update? That would be a scary ass experience!!!

#4895 Kain   Dragoon CAGiversary!   1027 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:48 AM

if you care about trophies at all, keep in mind that there is a trophy for playing through the entire game from start to finish in one sitting.  I picked it up on Christmas with a 20% off coupon that someone was kind enough to pass my way, because I was going to my aunt's house for Christmas and bringing my PS4/VR with me. My cousin, who I don't see except a couple times a year, really wanted to try SuperHot VR, so I figured as a nice thing to do, I'd grab it so he could play it.  I set him up on a guest account and let him go at it.

Then a couple weeks ago, I finally decided to give it a try myself. Didn't expect to play it as long as I did, but after a few hours, I pulled off my headset so I could check the web to see how close to the end I was.  Turned out I was on the final stage, so I stuck with it.  At the very end, I got a trophy and when I looked it up, discovered it was for playing through the game in one sitting.  To think I was about to take a break for the night and would have had to play the whole thing through again at another time if I hadn't decided to stick it out.

#4896 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   516 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:53 AM

I don't really care about Trophies at all, although I did in Moss so there is that lol.  But I think it's because I liked Moss so much that I wanted to get them all and I wanted to beat it (for the 4th time mind you) in one sitting start to finish.  If I like it enough maybe I can try to get that one too for playing in one sitting.  Also Saturday I'm having people come over and maybe we can hand it off to each other.

#4897 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   516 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:08 AM

Wow Superhot VR is a wild game.  At first I was kinda like "meh" this is IT?  But then when things started happening quicker, like on disc B, it started to get a lot more fun.  It's fun when you beat like 1 or 2 of the 4-5 little stages, then die, and get to redo them, and know what to do, and do it all quick and feel like Neo in the Matrix.  I had to take a break after like 20 minutes though because I'm sweating my ass off.  I also noticed that tracking wasn't the best either.

#4898 daruler022   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   166 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

daruler022

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:30 AM

So....I really don't get all of the hate for the Inpatient. I guess that I went into it knowing that it was going to be a story driven game from the start. It's a gorgeous game and it sucks you right into it's world. The controls aren't the best, but you get use to them with time and they're the best that you can get without analogs, or transportation.

The game is also a few hours long and while some will only play it once, I want to see all of the memories, butterfly effects, and endings.

I'm really enjoying it and it's a creepy ass game. While it's not worth it's current asking price for some....this is a very solid $15-$25 game.

#4899 JoshTX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2456 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:04 PM

So....I really don't get all of the hate for the Inpatient. I guess that I went into it knowing that it was going to be a story driven game from the start. It's a gorgeous game and it sucks you right into it's world. The controls aren't the best, but you get use to them with time and they're the best that you can get without analogs, or transportation.

The game is also a few hours long and while some will only play it once, I want to see all of the memories, butterfly effects, and endings.

I'm really enjoying it and it's a creepy ass game. While it's not worth it's current asking price for some....this is a very solid $15-$25 game.

Is there any combat at all? I'm assuming no, and that's probably the reason why everyone thinks it's so boring, or at least one of the reasons. I don't mind the strictly story-driven stuff from time to time, but I do have to take a break from those kind of games. I know there's no combat in Don't Knock Twice or Paranormal Activity, so maybe all of the horror games flooding the market without it are starting to get to people.   

#4900 Lonely Boy   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   948 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:08 AM

Is there any combat at all? I'm assuming no, and that's probably the reason why everyone thinks it's so boring, or at least one of the reasons.

It's a sad state of affairs when a game can only be considered "interesting" if it contains combat. I think there was a myriad of reasons for its bad word of mouth (too expensive, too short, crummy and/or glitchy controls -- just guessing), but I'm excited to jump into it this weekend and take an unbiased look at the proceedings. I think VR was tailor-made for this type of dramatic, story-driven interactive experience (I hope Telltale gets in on the market) and I strongly hope AAA companies aren't discouraged from producing more in the future.

Spoiler

#4901 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68235 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:08 AM

Some VR stuff that is on sale this weekend:

Hatsune Miku: VR Future Live - Season Pass - $19.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/12

Hatsune Miku: VR Future Live - 1st Stage - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 3/12

And this will be getting its VR update at some point in the near future:

Wipeout Omega Collection - $15.99 - 60% Off

#4902 daruler022   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   166 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

daruler022

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:52 AM

There isn't any combat, but it's on a different level from Don't Knock Twice and Paranormal Activity graphicly at least. I actually got Paranormal Activity from Best Buy for $5.xx and will play that next. I'm curious to see how they stack up against one another.

#4903 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   516 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:07 AM

Superhot VR is a bit overrated IMO.  The tracking in that game is just pretty poor and takes me out of it quite a bit.  Throwing objects is a joke too and feels completely random.  I was expecting more from it just based on how much hype it gets.  It does make you feel like a badass sometimes though.

#4904 cleaver   You have 0 friends CAGiversary!   3610 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:39 AM

Some VR stuff that is on sale this weekend:

Hatsune Miku: VR Future Live - Season Pass - $19.99 - 50% Off - Ends 3/12
Hatsune Miku: VR Future Live - 1st Stage - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 3/12

And this will be getting its VR update at some point in the near future:

Wipeout Omega Collection - $15.99 - 60% Off

That season pass has a 2 star rating with 10 reviews, that’s the lowest I’ve seen with more than 1 review. Anyone know the deal?

#4905 mrliquid   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   206 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:54 AM

Superhot VR is a bit overrated IMO. The tracking in that game is just pretty poor and takes me out of it quite a bit. Throwing objects is a joke too and feels completely random. I was expecting more from it just based on how much hype it gets. It does make you feel like a badass sometimes though.

I would say try and recalibrate the Move, adjust the camera, make sure you are the correct distance from the camera, etc. The game has perfect tracking for me.

Throwing objects was tough and seemed random for me too until I figured out how the mechanic worked. You need to hold down the throw button and then release it as you are making the throwing motion, right when you want to release the object from you grip. Once you figure it out, it will feel a lot more natural and reliable.

#4906 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   516 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:14 AM

I would say try and recalibrate the Move, adjust the camera, make sure you are the correct distance from the camera, etc. The game has perfect tracking for me.

Throwing objects was tough and seemed random for me too until I figured out how the mechanic worked. You need to hold down the throw button and then release it as you are making the throwing motion, right when you want to release the object from you grip. Once you figure it out, it will feel a lot more natural and reliable.

Hmm okay I'll try that with the throwing stuff.  I was definitely just pressing the button when I wanted to throw it.  As for the distance, I mean I'm pretty sure it is the right distance, it's the same distance I always play at with other games.

#4907 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   2401 Posts   Joined 4.2 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:14 AM

I have found that some games require different calibrations to work, What works perfectly for many games... completely sucks for another. Recalibrate it to work for that 1 game.. and the others become horrible until you recalibrate again.

At least for me. 

I can play pretty much any of my PSVR games, quit and without even moving start up ancient amuletor and the tracking is complete shit. I had to recalibrate for it.. and it was playable but not perfect.

One of the biggest annoyances for me with PSVR, no lighting change, same position etc. Just switch to some games and it's like the PSVR has no clue how to track anything.

#4908 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1012 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:15 AM

Only have a slight interest in Wipeout but have a huge interest in VR gaming. Somebody talk me into or out of Wipeout given the above statement and the current sale price of $16

#4909 BryanDGAF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1136 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:21 AM

Only have a slight interest in Wipeout but have a huge interest in VR gaming. Somebody talk me into or out of Wipeout given the above statement and the current sale price of $16

Because why not. See you on the tracks scrub

#4910 Lonely Boy   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   948 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:20 AM

Don't do it. There are so many games and so little time; pick something that's most relevant to your interests.

#4911 mpaullin   Fission Mailed CAGiversary!   4676 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:00 PM

Is there any combat at all? I'm assuming no, and that's probably the reason why everyone thinks it's so boring, or at least one of the reasons. I don't mind the strictly story-driven stuff from time to time, but I do have to take a break from those kind of games. I know there's no combat in Don't Knock Twice or Paranormal Activity, so maybe all of the horror games flooding the market without it are starting to get to people.

I can't recall anyone complaining about a lack of combat. It's a prequel of sorts to Until Dawn, a widely praised game that also has no combat. It is just a completely disappointing game. The story sucks (there barely is one), the characters are forgettable, the controls suck, your 'choices' seem to barely impact anything, and it's over super fast for a $40 game.

#4912 Ness3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   430 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:08 PM

Whats the best way to get a physical copy of Superhot VR? Is there going to be an NA release? Looks like Play Asia has it "out of stock".

#4913 phoenixlau   backlogged CAGiversary!   498 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:35 PM

Whats the best way to get a physical copy of Superhot VR? Is there going to be an NA release? Looks like Play Asia has it "out of stock".

UK import on ebay.  Rarewaves has it for $21.27. 

#4914 McCHitman   Reigning Champ CAGiversary!   302 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

McCHitman

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:59 PM

Bravo Team- I'm at work so I can't see some of these reviews but I had a feeling the game was going to be trash due to the fact there was never a video on the PSN store for it. Sucks though, I was hoping it would actually be good.

#4915 Moonbathing  

Moonbathing

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:05 PM

There isn't any combat, but it's on a different level from Don't Knock Twice and Paranormal Activity graphicly at least. I actually got Paranormal Activity from Best Buy for $5.xx and will play that next. I'm curious to see how they stack up against one another.

I'm not sure how you can say that Paranormal Activity is graphically different than The Inpatient if you haven't even played it.  I assure you PA is graphically impressive.

#4916 daruler022   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   166 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

daruler022

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:37 PM

I'm not sure how you can say that Paranormal Activity is graphically different than The Inpatient if you haven't even played it.  I assure you PA is graphically impressive.

I was going by videos and screen shots, but I'll correct myself if I have a different view when I play it. The facial graphics in The Inpatient have been the best that I have seen in VR thus far. Hopefully PA gives that same experience.

#4917 NickSC07   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1153 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:56 PM

Trying to choose between Superhot and Moss. What would you fellas recommend?

#4918 barlush23   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   255 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:11 PM

Hmm okay I'll try that with the throwing stuff. I was definitely just pressing the button when I wanted to throw it. As for the distance, I mean I'm pretty sure it is the right distance, it's the same distance I always play at with other games.

In Super Hot, try to use more of a pushing motion than a throwing one.

#4919 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3522 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:47 PM

Trying to choose between Superhot and Moss. What would you fellas recommend?

Superhot is one of the most VR games out there in the fact that it requires dodging with your head constantly to avoid fire. It's pretty fantastic imo but as one poster mentioned it does push PSVR tracking to it's limits and there were many times it broke for me. That said, plenty have said they had no issue during their play. Moss is fantastic but even getting the plat is going to take your around 5-6 hours max. It's more a proof of concept of how VR can transform a traditional platformer. Superhot on the other hand has plenty of challenge maps, etc to extend play to maybe 10-12 hours if you are chasing trophies.

On that note, finally played a few recent purchases and figured I post some very basic impressions.

Knockout League - Way more polished than I thought. 5 or 6 fighters which is too few imo but extremely physical for a videogame so marathoning more than 3 is unlikely. Great looking characters but very basic environment. Plays just like Punchout meaning you only dodge by being in the right position and hitting during an official opening. Still fun though if that idea interests you. A decent list of minigames. 

Blasters of the Universe - bullet hell wave shooter. Have to dodge bullets like superhot but they come in patterns. Really great unlock system and gun customization system but clearly this game was made by a tiny group trying to make a basic experience fun. Good execution but still just a wave shooter. Good 80's sci-fi synthwave aesthetic but still bland in character.

Shooty Fruity - Best wave shooter I've played so far. Good gun variety, interesting variations in the 3 main areas. Lots of good unlocks and decent challenge system. Looks like a feasible plat trophy. 25 levels remixing rules for the 3 main areas. There's a stereotypical announcer who I find grating and unfunny but the rest of the aesthetic is good and also family friendly for a gun game.

Apex Construct - Free roam adventure game using a bow and arrow. Only played about an hour but pretty unappealing. World is kind of flat and simple like a few guys trying to figure out how to make a big game with limited resources. arrow shooting is ok but you need to use a shield to account for the fact that you miss a lot with no aiming reticle. Legitimate sci-fi story with narrator but so far uninteresting. Might not finish it.

#4920 Lonely Boy   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   948 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:45 PM

On that note, finally played a few recent purchases and figured I post some very basic impressions.

Knockout League - Way more polished than I thought. 5 or 6 fighters which is too few imo but extremely physical for a videogame so marathoning more than 3 is unlikely. Great looking characters but very basic environment. Plays just like Punchout meaning you only dodge by being in the right position and hitting during an official opening. Still fun though if that idea interests you. A decent list of minigames. 

Blasters of the Universe - bullet hell wave shooter. Have to dodge bullets like superhot but they come in patterns. Really great unlock system and gun customization system but clearly this game was made by a tiny group trying to make a basic experience fun. Good execution but still just a wave shooter. Good 80's sci-fi synthwave aesthetic but still bland in character.

Shooty Fruity - Best wave shooter I've played so far. Good gun variety, interesting variations in the 3 main areas. Lots of good unlocks and decent challenge system. Looks like a feasible plat trophy. 25 levels remixing rules for the 3 main areas. There's a stereotypical announcer who I find grating and unfunny but the rest of the aesthetic is good and also family friendly for a gun game.

Apex Construct - Free roam adventure game using a bow and arrow. Only played about an hour but pretty unappealing. World is kind of flat and simple like a few guys trying to figure out how to make a big game with limited resources. arrow shooting is ok but you need to use a shield to account for the fact that you miss a lot with no aiming reticle. Legitimate sci-fi story with narrator but so far uninteresting. Might not finish it.

It seems like the theme of all these games is "cool concept, but basic execution" or vice versa. It's unfortunate that the one I was most interested in (Apex Construct, free-roam adventure) seems to be bland and unappealing, while the one I'm least interested in (Shooty Fruity, endless wave shooter) appears to be getting the high marks. I really wish developers would take the time to make a decent, involving VR experience with varied gameplay and advanced design; instead, the market seems to be flooded with quick, cheap money-making gimmicks that aren't really worth their asking price. Luckily(?) my backlog is big enough that I can pass on most of them, but I understand that VR beggars can't be choosers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Playstation VR