* * * * - 12 votes

Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

Playstation VR

#5431 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   399 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:59 PM

I bought Bravo Team but returned it without opening it at launch due to reviews.  It's a general consensus that the game is complete and utter shit.  I'd buy it for $5 just out of curiosity just to see how bad it is.  

#5432 Moonbathing  

Moonbathing

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:14 PM

Operation Warcade is on sale for $14.99, or $9.99 for PS+ members.  Regularly $19.99.

https://store.playst...000000000000001

Weird how it went on sale a day later than the rest of the titles.

#5433 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67643 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:37 PM

https://blog.us.play...n-ps-vr-may-22/

Star Trek: Bridge Crew is getting some The Next Generation DLC on 5/22:

So, what are we adding?

We added the Enterprise (NCC-1701D) bridge and rebalanced our game to accommodate its new capabilities, we replaced the engineering position with a new role called “Operations” on the 1701D bridge (it’s now my personal favorite position) which focuses on crew management and maximizing ship buffs, we’ve added Romulans, we’ve put in the Borg, created TNG-era uniforms, gave players the ability to make their avatars Soong-type androids, put in new shield modulation and precision phaser fire mechanics, took a pass through our play spaces so that more solar systems will be utilized by Ongoing Voyages (our randomized Starfleet mission generator), and added two new Ongoing Voyages (“Resistance” and “Patrol”) complete with new voice work and unique mission mechanics. Oh, and we also threw in some fan favorites such as a fully functional Planet Killer, complete with deadly anti-proton beam.

We wanted to create something that did justice to the Borg by conveying the sense of cosmic, existential dread that the Borg always inspired in me. With their singular goal of assimilation, and their disregard for anything or anyone standing in their way (except for Species 8472, of course), I really think they’re one of the most elegant enemies in science fiction. There’s something quietly menacing about them that tickles an animalistic fight-or-flight response, and I wanted to capture that.

In short, I wanted to scare people.

The structure of “Resistance” was heavily inspired by classic rogue and roguelike games, which I think do a great job of driving tension, and challenges the player to travel across space to retrieve scattered anti-Borg prototypes to fight off a Borg Cube that’s happily assimilating and slaughtering everything in its path.

Along the way, crews are faced with randomly presented challenges that have to be completed with the knowledge that every second spent brings the Borg Cube ever closer. Warping to another solar system will buy you time, and each prototype successfully collected will provide you with a new tool for fighting the Borg…but each time you face the Cube, it’s adapted to your tactics and becomes ever more powerful. And the Cube gets very mean, very quickly.

It’s meant to be difficult, encourage serious lateral thinking, and reward a spectrum of success. In that sense it shares a lot of creative DNA with the Kobayashi Maru challenge mission, which I also designed (I guess I have a type) and we included in our base game. Watching countless streamed hours of crews attempting to beat an unbeatable mode, and having blast while trying, really informed a lot of the moment-to-moment design of “Resistance.” I learned a lot about high-level bridge crew play by watching crews come up with amazing strategies, compare scores, and thoroughly humble my mission design.

#5434 ackbar7   Flamble CAGiversary!   3130 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:11 PM

TNG for Bridge Crew seems kind of great, but also, the idea that Picard wouldn't be the captain of the Enterprise D is ridiculous. The idea that I could somehow fill his shoes is even more ridiculous.

#5435 Moonbathing  

Moonbathing

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:53 PM

I've been playing Arizona Sunshine for the past couple of nights and I have to say I'm really enjoying it.

I avoided it for the longest time because I thought it was just a poor-man's Farpoint.  Also, I've never been a fan of zombie games.  Then I decided to pick it up when it was sale a few months back, but hadn't tried it until yesterday.

So far, it's a great game.  Nice selection of weapons.  I remember being worried when I heard that the game was designed without the aim in mind, then they added a two handed mode for aim users - I thought it was going to be a poorly tacked on mode, but I was clearly mistaken.

Tracking is pretty good, I had some tracking issues yesterday, but none today.

I really like the setting in the desert.  I am currently underground in the mine and I was in awe when I got to the part where you can see a little light shining in from a hole above and what looks like dirt blowing around.  I just stood there for a few minutes staring.

I would strongly recommend it to anyone who doesn't already own it and is looking for a game to play using their aim controller.

#5436 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67643 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:05 PM

I've played a bit of 2MD VR Football and will have a video of it in action in a bit, but it's pretty cool for what it's doing. The controls are pretty simple since you just pushing the trigger on the Move controller corresponding to your hand and throw the ball in a natural throwing motion if you have the room. I guess you can sit to play the game, but I just stood since it fits the game better. The face buttons on your Move controller correspond to the four plays you have at your disposal, but you can completely change them in the locker room menu to move your offensive players around and draw new routes for them to run with on a whiteboard. It also has voice controls so you can audible to your other plays by holding down the Move button and saying the code word for that play if you want to go that route. There is also some customization of the team you're playing with various team names, voices, and RGB controls for your team's colors. 

The game itself plays well, though it's also pretty physical with you making throwing motions so you should make sure you don't have expensive/fragile items nearby. There's no movement needed, as you just stand in one spot and do a throwing motion. You can do a QB run by holding down the Move button after the snap, which has only been useful for 4th & 1 situations. Each round gives you two minutes to score the winning TD and if you win, you get a quick minigame where you throw footballs through rings to increase the score. The main mode seems to just be about you trying to win as many games as possible along with the high score, which I believe increases with better plays and completing consecutive passes to get an NBA Jam-style football on fire that I don't think has any benefits besides signifying that you're getting a higher score for each successful play.

The stadiums are pretty cool with one being an SNES-themed stadium and another is castle-themed with a dragon that bursts out of its hidden area when you score. They have some nice fake ads around each stadium for companies like Grubway and Hike. Each stadium has a giant LED screen on it to show you the action after your pass. If you haven't seen the game at all, every player is a tackle dummy with a jersey and helmet on them, so it's not going for any sort of realism outside of the passing mechanic and even that has a bit of leeway for non-athletes.

It's fun to play and the main appeal is its main mechanic that works really well. There's not much in terms of other modes or any added stuff besides unlocking more team names as you get more wins in the main mode.

#5437 Lonely Boy   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   776 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:00 AM

I just got the platinum for Moss.

I wish girls thought that was cool.

#5438 Moonbathing  

Moonbathing

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:05 AM

I'm sure some girls do.

#5439 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Four Roses Single Barrel CAGiversary!   1883 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:36 AM

Is Star Trek Bridge Crew worth it if I'm only gonna play by myself? I'm a huge star trek fan for what that's worth, but it seems like a mainly party style game

I have not played a lot of it, yet another game I need to get back into playing..

My brother in law is a *huge* TNG fan and over Christmas I left my PSVR at my parents house while they stayed there... he was up into the wee hours having a blast playing it 100% solo. He enjoyed it, but said it did get a little repetitive doing the same stuff in pretty much every mission.

I would assume co-op would be a blast for ST fans.

Has to be some co-op youtube footage.. 

#5440 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67643 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:30 PM

Here's my video on 2MD VR Football:

#5441 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   399 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:33 PM

I just got the platinum for Moss.

I wish girls thought that was cool.

It's kind of crazy how quickly you can beat Moss start to finish if you blow through all the cutscenes and know how to solve all of the puzzles.  My run to get the platinum and beat it without dying took me like 45-50 minutes.

#5442 Lonely Boy   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   776 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:30 PM

It's kind of crazy how quickly you can beat Moss start to finish if you blow through all the cutscenes and know how to solve all of the puzzles.  My run to get the platinum and beat it without dying took me like 45-50 minutes.

Yeah, and when you're not just standing around marveling at how beautiful the scenery is. I can't believe I wasted money on bullshit like Perfect VR when all you have to do in this game is look up.

I also spent a lot of time during my first playthrough peeking around corners looking for secrets. I like that you could physically search the area without glitching the game or going "out of bounds." Definitely one of the best looking, most polished PSVR titles to date. 

#5443 Moonbathing  

Moonbathing

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:53 PM

Arizona Sunshine just keeps getting better!  I just discovered that you can blow off limbs. I knew you could do blow off their heads, but I didn't know you could blow off arms and legs too.

Also, some really great areas on the game where you can just sit down and take in the atmosphere for a while.

One just outside the military base (refinery?). It's night time but the sky still has a bit of a glow to it. You can hear crickets chirping in the background. Also, once you get out of the base, you are really high up and can enjoy the view over the side of the mountain.

#5444 jgiovanni  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:17 PM

Any thoughts on Megaton Rainfall?

#5445 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3473 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:42 PM

Any thoughts on Megaton Rainfall?

I don't care for it because it uses forward rendering, which is essentially rendering to a 2D surface. It makes everything feel more like a 360 degree movie than a game. On reddit I noticed some people don't care so YMMV on whether the effect is a dealbreaker. In terms of gameplay it's pretty fun but simple. A youtube review is pretty reflective of the game itself.

#5446 bob101910   Cammy's Cat CAGiversary!   4274 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:55 AM

Finally got around to Paranormal Activity. Read it has been updated plenty since launch. I "loved" playing it until I got to one of the first rooms and anxiety kicked in hard. The atmosphere alone is too much for me to handle alone at night. Waiting until day time when my wife is in the room.

Plus my disc may be haunted. Paranormal Activity always comes loose in the case. I've put other games in the same case and they stay put.

#5447 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67643 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:09 PM

#5448 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67643 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:39 PM

A few new deals this week:

Dirt Rally Plus PlayStation VR Bundle - $13.99 - 80% Off - Ends 5/22
Dirt Rally - PlayStation VR Upgrade DLC Add-on - $5.19 - 60% Off - Ends 5/22

The existing deals:

100ft Robot Golf - $4.99 - 50% Off - $3.99 - 60% Off - Ends 5/22

Archangel - $14.99 - 50% Off - $11.99 - 60% Off - Ends 5/22

Hatsune Miku: VR Future Live - 1st Stage - $8.99 - 40% Off - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 5/22

Hatsune Miku: VR Future Live - 2nd Stage - $8.99 - 40% Off - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 5/22

Hatsune Miku: VR Future Live - 3rd Stage - $8.99 - 40% Off - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 5/22

Hatsune Miku: VR Future Live - Season Pass - $23.99 - 40% Off - $19.99 - 40% Off - Ends 5/22

Megaton Rainfall - $9.91 - 38% Off - $8.95 - 44% Off - Ends 5/22
Mervils: A VR Adventure - $9.99 - 50% Off - Ends 5/22

VR Ping Pong - $8.99 - 40% Off - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 5/22

#5449 Deadpool   I club baby seals CAGiversary!   2387 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:08 PM

I got Dirt Rally and could barely finish 1 race. IT's the only VR game so far to make me queasy. Like i felt sick for 2 hours after playing. 

#5450 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3473 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:42 AM

I got Dirt Rally and could barely finish 1 race. IT's the only VR game so far to make me queasy. Like i felt sick for 2 hours after playing. 

I had the same problem and felt the game was just way too difficult. It's one of the few full VR games but I ditched my copy and just let the DLC go.

#5451 Gdogg   Scarlett Johansson's future ex-husband CAGiversary!   507 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:10 AM

Anyone know if Beat Saber is coming to PSVR?   That game looks really fun!

#5452 Jurai  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:57 PM

Imo it's not worth the price of entry atm, the limited song selection gets stale fast. They have some modding tools for bringing songs in but really wish it had launched with more songs

#5453 Hairlesswookiee   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   84 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Hairlesswookiee

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:54 PM

Anyone know where the best deal for 1 MOVE controller is? I have a hard time paying $50 for one and would rather save a few bucks if possible.

#5454 zaxxon2000   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   236 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

zaxxon2000

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:58 AM

They are $31.96 at Gamestop used if you have the Ultra Pro Membership.

Just check if any stores in your area have version 2 with the current charging cable port.

I bought 2 and they were like brand new. The version 2 has only been out for a few months.

#5455 boricua2kred  

boricua2kred

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:48 AM

Anyone know if Beat Saber is coming to PSVR? That game looks really fun!

Yes it is coming to PSVR. I thought it was coming the end of May but havent heard anything lately. But it seems like with PSVR titles they have game releases and announce the week of when they are releasing.

#5456 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   924 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:54 AM

Anyone know where the best deal for 1 MOVE controller is? I have a hard time paying $50 for one and would rather save a few bucks if possible.

Check pawn shops and other resale shops. I got one of mine at a pawn shop for $12 and one at a local store called Bookmans for $15. Bookmans is kinda like what Hastings was, used books, movies, video games, and musical instruments. Maybe you have something like that in your area

#5457 deadofnight   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   790 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

deadofnight

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:34 PM

I'm not seeing anything from the flash sale I want, but I was happy to get an e-mail from Amazon showing the 3D blu ray for Predator is on sale for $10. I also picked up the 3D blu ray for Jurassic Park ($15). Both come with the standard blu ray disc, and I only had them on dvd.

Maybe I'll get Gunjack. It doesn't look that interesting, but it's only $2.00.

#5458 Moonbathing  

Moonbathing

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:00 PM

Gunjack is a great game, especially for just $2.

#5459 LondonGaijin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   362 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

LondonGaijin

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:49 PM

Lifted this from Reddit:

Falsh Sale Ends 21st May 2018 3:00PM GMT/1PM EDT

Title Price
Arizona Sunshine $15.99
Bound $7.99
Dick Wilde $5.99
Catlateral Damage $2.99
Gunjack $1.99
Here They Lie $7.99
Pierhead Arcade $5.99
Star Wars: Battlefront (Free VR Mission)$7.49
VRFC Virtual Reality Football Club $7.99

...It looks a mess, but I ain't no Frisky.

#5460 deadofnight   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   790 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

deadofnight

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:03 PM

I bought Gunjack. I mean, yeah, it's $2.00. I've paid that much for a PS4 theme.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Playstation VR