* * * * - 12 votes

Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

Playstation VR

#5761 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   370 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:36 PM

I still have Doom VRF sealed from when it was $20 on Amazon months back because I'm waiting for a (hopefully) left handed patch.

#5762 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3404 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:44 PM

Had some time to spare last night so tried a couple VR games in a guest account that I had previously bought on sale.  I am so happy Here They Lie is only supposed to be three hours long. You've got two crippled versions of movement. The default, called "VR Drive", is basically click-turning. If you want smooth turning, you can turn off VR drive, but then every time you turn, these horrible black borders appear around the edge of your sight, like you're looking through a cardboard paper towel tube.

Final Fantasy: Monster of the Deep suffers the same issue I have with Doom VFR;  no left-handed support.  Both FF and Doom are relatively playable, just unnaturally for me.  Of course, I didn't play too far into it (stopped after playing through the first post-title stage.)  One weird thing I noticed in both Here They Lie and FF are the scale of the people.  Both the girl at the beginning of Here They Lie and Cindy at the beginning of FF had inhumanly small frames to their body. A VR Depth of Field camera issue, perhaps?

Polybius was still a blast to play.

Polybius wasn't on sale though right? I've been watching for a sale on that since it came out but I don't think it has in NA stores.

#5763 Kain   Dragoon CAGiversary!   881 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:13 PM

Polybius wasn't on sale though right? I've been watching for a sale on that since it came out but I don't think it has in NA stores.

Nope, I got sick of waiting for it to go on sale so I used a 20% coupon on it the last time they had one.

#5764 Moonbathing  

Moonbathing

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:13 AM

Anyone have Light Tracer?  I'm curious what the difficulty level is of that game.

#5765 iwannadie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   882 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

iwannadie

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:52 AM

I am such a coward. I picked up RE from the newegg sale and put it in after wanting to play it since I first heard about it. I made it into the house and stopped right befor walking into the kitchen, just nope nope nope couldn’t do it. Just the firat area had me on edge and my anxiety sky rocketing.
Even on a regular ps4 the visuals are pretty awesome I thought, best looking vr game for me sofar.

#5766 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   370 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:28 AM

You need to man up and play RE7.  It's one of the best gaming experience I've had in the past 2 decades.  And yes it's freaky and the atmosphere is what makes it incredible.  There simply is no other game that can make you feel that way while playing.  Feeling uncomfortable is part of what makes it so great.  You get "used to" it too, in the sense that you know something is going to freak you out or make you jump or just be flat out creepy, but again, that is all of the fun.

I remember first walking into that house too and being like "oooh what the Fuck..." cause it made me feel a bit uneasy.  So glad I kept with the game though.

#5767 WNYX585AM   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3203 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:39 PM

You need to man up and play RE7.  It's one of the best gaming experience I've had in the past 2 decades.  And yes it's freaky and the atmosphere is what makes it incredible.  There simply is no other game that can make you feel that way while playing.  Feeling uncomfortable is part of what makes it so great.  You get "used to" it too, in the sense that you know something is going to freak you out or make you jump or just be flat out creepy, but again, that is all of the fun.

I remember first walking into that house too and being like "oooh what the Fuck..." cause it made me feel a bit uneasy.  So glad I kept with the game though.

I'm a little nervous that I might break the VR headset with my "reactions."

#5768 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3801 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:30 PM

My biggest concern is first playing it in VR or on a 65in OLED with a  7.1 home theater.

#5769 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   370 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:47 PM

My biggest concern is first playing it in VR or on a 65in OLED with a  7.1 home theater.

Definitely VR the first play through so everything is new and a surprise to you.  Hell I have a 120" screen with better sound than most movie theaters and I would much rather play it in VR than on there.

#5770 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3801 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:06 PM

Definitely VR the first play through so everything is new and a surprise to you.  Hell I have a 120" screen with better sound than most movie theaters and I would much rather play it in VR than on there.

Hmm. Since I got the VR last year I haven't used it too much except to try the demos. I'm sitting on RE7, Eagle Flight, & Skyrim too. I've just never really gamed on it and used to a big screen and home theater setup. Would the VR and PS Gold headset really be better than what I'm used to, or would you just use VR and the home theater? I run a Denon X1400H with 7.1 setup.

#5771 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   370 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:27 PM

You use headphones with VR.  Anything else will not even be nearly as immersive, regardless of the sound quality.

#5772 Kain   Dragoon CAGiversary!   881 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:57 PM

I don't understand that logic. If you've got a full room, surround sound home theater system, especially with multidirectional audio like Atmos, why listen to the audio though tinny little headphones instead of having the clarify of just listening to it via the home theater system? 

#5773 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   370 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:28 PM

I don't understand that logic. If you've got a full room, surround sound home theater system, especially with multidirectional audio like Atmos, why listen to the audio though tinny little headphones instead of having the clarify of just listening to it via the home theater system? 

You get zero ambient noises with a decent set of headphones, which makes a huge difference in the experience IMO.  I also don't play PSVR from the same spot as I do when playing non-VR games for logistical reasons.

Also, having Atmos or 7.1 doesn't mean jack shit if you don't have good speakers and a good room for it.  

#5774 Fades   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   280 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:38 PM

Has monster of the deep final fantasy xv ever been on sale?

#5775 Kain   Dragoon CAGiversary!   881 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:07 PM

You get zero ambient noises with a decent set of headphones, which makes a huge difference in the experience IMO.  I also don't play PSVR from the same spot as I do when playing non-VR games for logistical reasons.

Also, having Atmos or 7.1 doesn't mean jack shit if you don't have good speakers and a good room for it.

Ah, see I live alone so I don't really have any ambient noise, and I sit in the same spot as my regular gaming.  And I imagine if you've got the 7.1.2 or whatnot set up, you likely have the appropriate room and speakers for it.  I've just tried playing games using headphones before and I just get fuller sound from the home theater system.

Has monster of the deep final fantasy xv ever been on sale?

Yes, it was $15 back in January.

#5776 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67237 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:08 PM

Hmm. Since I got the VR last year I haven't used it too much except to try the demos. I'm sitting on RE7, Eagle Flight, & Skyrim too. I've just never really gamed on it and used to a big screen and home theater setup. Would the VR and PS Gold headset really be better than what I'm used to, or would you just use VR and the home theater? I run a Denon X1400H with 7.1 setup.

You get full 3D audio with a headset, so that's the only way you should play PSVR unless there are other circumstances at play.

#5777 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   370 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:00 PM

You get full 3D audio with a headset, so that's the only way you should play PSVR unless there are other circumstances at play.

Totally forgot about this too lol.  That's a pretty big deal.

#5778 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3801 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:24 PM

That's good to know! One of these years when I play RE7 I'll report back how it was.

#5779 Lonely Boy  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:00 PM

Speaking of headsets, I still haven't gotten one yet. I thought I could survive with the shitty ear buds, but it sounds like I'm missing out on a lot of the immersion.

So I went and did some research on some of the more popular PSVR-compatible 3D headphones and this is what I found. Just curious what other people recommend and what the lowest price point you found it for was.

PlayStation Gold Wireless: I guess this is the gold standard. Wireless and an official PS product, but of course, way too expensive for my blood.

Turtle Beach Stealth 350: The cheaper alternative. It seems to be available for $60 at quite a few places.

Plantronics RIG 4VR: This also seems to be pretty cheap on Amazon. It kind of looks big and bulky, but has really good reviews.

Bionik Mantis Clip-On: The biggest draw for these is that it clips directly to the headset. That appeals to me the most out of any of the above, but it seems like the speakers come right up to your ears and don't cover them. My biggest question with these is: Can you safely play without other people knowing what it is you're hearing? This is very important to me, because the ear buds are very quiet when inserted.

Spoiler

#5780 Reagan2791  

Reagan2791

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:33 PM

I have the Stealth 350VR. They work as advertised. Lighter than my XO Fours on Xbox, fit nicely over the VR headset and no need to use the included detachable mic. Just have to remember to turn the switch off when not using them to conserve battery life.

#5781 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   370 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:02 AM

I have the Stealth 350VR. They work as advertised. Lighter than my XO Fours on Xbox, fit nicely over the VR headset and no need to use the included detachable mic. Just have to remember to turn the switch off when not using them to conserve battery life.

That's what I have as well and really enjoy them, and playing with those versus the ear buds that came is NIGHT AND FUCKING DAY.  Like it's a whole new experience.  I started RE7 with them on and the sound was kinda meh, but once I got those holy shit so different.  And with Farpoint I had to use the ear buds one session because as mentioned above, I left them on and they died, so I let them charge for 30 minutes.  I pretty much stopped playing Farpoint after like 5 minutes because it was worth waiting the 30 minutes for it to charge.

I did a bunch of research as well before I bought them and from my research, the Sony PS Gold/Silver/Whatever ones are not close to being worth the asking price.  Many reviews I saw said the Stealth 350VR's were all around better regardless of the price. 

I ended up getting them for $30 with a GameStop promo where they were $30 off for PowerUP Pro and Elite members and someone on here who was one of those ordered them for me and had em delivered directly to me, and I PayPal'd him the money and gave him a little something extra.

#5782 Lonely Boy  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:12 AM

I ended up getting them for $30 with a GameStop promo where they were $30 off for PowerUP Pro and Elite members and someone on here who was one of those ordered them for me and had em delivered directly to me, and I PayPal'd him the money and gave him a little something extra.

Damn, that price can't be beat. I was hoping to at least get them 25% off with the latest google express discount code, but apparently it's not applicable anymore.

#5783 dualrec  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:52 PM

Just chiming in on the headsets.  I use my Sony Platinum headset.  It was pricey, but it fits with the VR headset perfectly.  My eyes need a break before my head does from all the doodads on it. Audio is top notch too.

Still loving my new VR experiences.

So far the best has been Doom (face to face with demons is slick)

Moss and Shooty Fruity.

Got Resident Evil on the list too. (already played campaign non-VR)

#5784 Barry Burton   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1380 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Barry Burton

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:53 PM

playing RE 7 i couldn't even make it into the house, i was too scared... of puking from the motion sickness

#5785 dualrec  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:55 PM

playing RE 7 i couldn't even make it into the house, i was too scared... of puking from the motion sickness

So far, I seem to be able to only play stationary or 'warping' games.  One level of the slow moving train on Rush of Blood and I was done.  I hear some people can get used to it over time.  We'll see...

#5786 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   370 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:52 PM

I got used to RE7 but I put it on segmented turning.  Same with Farpoint.  The smooth turning for some reason messes with me big time.  The walk speed in RE7 is pretty slow too so I think that helps.  

#5787 Moonbathing  

Moonbathing

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:18 PM

So I guess that's a no on Light Tracer

#5788 Reagan2791  

Reagan2791

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:53 PM

So far, I seem to be able to only play stationary or 'warping' games. One level of the slow moving train on Rush of Blood and I was done. I hear some people can get used to it over time. We'll see...

You will get used to it if you stick with it. I’ve had mine a month. I couldn’t complete the very short X-Wing VR mission or even make it into the house in RE7 before my head was spinning and I was sweating. It sucked. But I continued to play a little almost daily focusing on stationary games for a while and then inching back into motion games. Even the stationary games help you acclimate...games like Bridge Crew, Playroom VR, or Arkham VR. Here are a couple of tips that helped me in driving games or those with motion:

When moving forward, keep your eyes and head focused in the direction of travel. Don’t be looking around in other directions.

For RE7 where you need to walk, play standing up. I also walked in place and it helped. Kinda fools my brain into thinking I’m walking. I have opted to play smooth motion because the teleportation is clunky and unnatural. I played last night for 20-30 minutes before I needed a break.

For Rush of Blood and driving games, if there is a dip like on a track or hill, use your body and head to lean forward or backwards and go with it as if it were real.

Keep it COOL where you’re playing. If possible, put a fan blowing on you. It also increases the immersion. Makes you feel like you’re really moving on that coaster or track.

Some people say ginger gum helps. Stick with it, don’t push yourself when you start feeling hot or lightheaded. You will start to notice you’re playing longer and becoming acclimated to it!

My favorite games have been Batman: Arkham VR, London Heist (PlayStation VR Worlds), and Rush of Blood. Unfortunately, two of those are very short and RoB isn’t much longer.

#5789 PsychoNinja1994  

PsychoNinja1994

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:40 AM

Interested in getting these games
WipeOut Omega Collection 
Shooty Fruity
Arizona Sunshine
Cube Works 

Anyone have any advice on getting these or passing on them?

#5790 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   877 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:15 AM

Interested in getting these games
WipeOut Omega Collection
Shooty Fruity
Arizona Sunshine
Cube Works

Anyone have any advice on getting these or passing on them?

Wipeout is amazing and I love it even though I’ve never really cared for the series.

AZ Sunshine has had mixed reviews but positive enough that I bought it (full disclosure: I have an Aim controller)

Shooty Fruity: I’ve only been hearing good thing and have been waiting on a sale. Will be picking it up in this sale

Cubeworks is cheap and is as cheap as it’s ever been. I don’t know too much about it but some of my best experiences in VR have been with puzzle-esqu games so I’m willing to give it a shot for a low risk price

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Playstation VR