* * * * - 12 votes

Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

Playstation VR

#6061 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   11571 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:31 PM

Did anybody who pre-ordered Astro Bot at Best buy actually get the theme and soundtrack bonus?

They screwed up my store pickup, AGAIN, and I still don't have it.  Went and bought one at gamestop (which wasn't pre-ordered so no bonus)

Wondering if it's worth trying to still get the bestbuy copy to turn around and return just to get the theme they screwed me out of....

Astro Bot is Amazing by the way. :)

I don't remember ever seeing it offered with the game at Best Buy.  Was it supposed to be a universal preorder bonus across all retailers?

#6062 Jurai  

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:38 PM

I don't remember ever seeing it offered with the game at Best Buy.  Was it supposed to be a universal preorder bonus across all retailers?

It says right on the bestbuy.com page that they were bonuses:

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6285305

Pre-order ASTRO BOT Rescue Mission now to receive the ASTRO BOT Rescue Mission digital soundtrack and a PS4 dynamic theme when the game launches

#6063 dualrec  

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:50 PM

It was in the 'Description' section.  But no, it wasn't added to order as a unique sku. 

#6064 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   400 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:18 PM

I am like 1/2 through the levels in Astro Bot and damn this game is great.  There is just so much charm and personality in this game.  And every level is different than the previous ones.  The challenge levels also add a nice little element that gives you more things to play once you finish.  This is making me wonder how incredible a 3D Mario game could be in VR or something like Ratchet and Clank.

#6065 frankmackeyspam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   412 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

frankmackeyspam

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:27 PM

There are a shit-ton of games on my wishlist on sale but I don't have PlayStation Plus.

Does anyone happen to have a trial code that they don't plan on using? I could really use it right now.

I have a ps+ trial code if you’re still looking for one.

#6066 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   400 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:33 PM

Is $15 the cheapest I Expect You To Die has really ever gotten to?  I don't have PS+ anymore and don't plan on getting it, so I am mainly talking about non-PS+ prices.

#6067 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   929 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:37 PM

Is $15 the cheapest I Expect You To Die has really ever gotten to? I don't have PS+ anymore and don't plan on getting it, so I am mainly talking about non-PS+ prices.

According to PSprices yes, $14.99 non plus, $7.49 plus

#6068 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67661 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:45 PM

Forgot to include this with the list yesterday, but there's a new pre-order discount:

Tetris Effect - $35.99 - 10% Off - Ends 11/9

#6069 JoshTX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2416 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:00 PM

I'm thinking I will snag Headmaster, Monster of the Deep, Archangel, and possibly Raw Data. Maybe. I know it's basically another wave shooter and I was trying to avoid more of those but from what I've read of reviews it's basically the best wave shooter of the wave shooters. Lol

#6070 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   400 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:14 PM

There is a demo of Raw Data on one of the demo discs.  I remember trying it when I got my PSVR and enjoying it, but it was like $40 or something at the time and it wasn't worth it to me either.  The price it is at now has kind of tempted me as well.

Is I Expect You to Die anything similar to Statik?  I LOVED that game as far as how clever the puzzles were and how it didn't hand hold you at all.  I am just curious how they compare, as I think it's also a puzzle game.

#6071 JoshTX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2416 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:33 PM

There is a demo of Raw Data on one of the demo discs.  I remember trying it when I got my PSVR and enjoying it, but it was like $40 or something at the time and it wasn't worth it to me either.  The price it is at now has kind of tempted me as well.

Is I Expect You to Die anything similar to Statik?  I LOVED that game as far as how clever the puzzles were and how it didn't hand hold you at all.  I am just curious how they compare, as I think it's also a puzzle game.

It must be the 2nd demo disc as I own the 1st and do not remember seeing it on there. At $20 I should probably just go ahead and snag it. The ability to slice enemies with a sword seems cool and there's a bigger variety of weapons compared to most wave shooter types from what I can tell.

I haven't played I Expect You to Die. I guess it's named appropriately as a homage to the James Bond action style movie titles. It looks like a situational puzzler type based on being a secret agent. Disarm bombs, navigate alarm systems, and such. 

#6072 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67661 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:51 PM

I Expect You to Die is like a Bond-themed Escape Room set in various types of environments you'd expect from a Bond movie. Here's a video I made a while back:

No commentary to it.

#6073 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   400 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:57 AM

It must be the 2nd demo disc as I own the 1st and do not remember seeing it on there. At $20 I should probably just go ahead and snag it. The ability to slice enemies with a sword seems cool and there's a bigger variety of weapons compared to most wave shooter types from what I can tell.

I haven't played I Expect You to Die. I guess it's named appropriately as a homage to the James Bond action style movie titles. It looks like a situational puzzler type based on being a secret agent. Disarm bombs, navigate alarm systems, and such. 

I think it came with the Skyrim bundle, although it could have been one that I downloaded after the fact too.

I Expect You to Die is like a Bond-themed Escape Room set in various types of environments you'd expect from a Bond movie. Here's a video I made a while back:

No commentary to it.

LOL I like how the first thing you try to do with the gun is shoot yourself in the head.  I just watched a little bit of the car one where you are stuck in it, but I didn't watch the solution.  I think I'm going to just pick it up.  If it's all escape room type stuff like that it seems like it should be pretty fun similar to how Statik was.  How many scenarios are in it?

#6074 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67661 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:00 AM

LOL I like how the first thing you try to do with the gun is shoot yourself in the head.  I just watched a little bit of the car one where you are stuck in it, but I didn't watch the solution.  I think I'm going to just pick it up.  If it's all escape room type stuff like that it seems like it should be pretty fun similar to how Statik was.  How many scenarios are in it?

I think it's five scenarios with a bunch of secret stuff in each of them to find.

#6075 Moonbathing  

Moonbathing

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:37 AM

Any opinions on these games?

• Along Together
  • Dream Angling
  • Kona VR Bundle
  • Light Tracer
  • Operation Warcade
  • Pixel Ripped 1989
  • Psychonauts In The Rhombus Of Ruin
  • Sea of memories
  • Stifled
  • The American Dream
  • Theseus

Most of these are on sale for a really good price, except for Operation Warcade and Pixel Ripped.  Should I wait for better prices on those two?

#6076 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67661 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:45 AM

Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin is great as an adventure game follow-up to the original game.

#6077 fishface45   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   180 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:58 AM

Operation Warcade is fun and supports AIM controls. American Dream is a joke on US gun fanatics. Doesn't have much replayability.

• Along Together
  • Dream Angling
  • Kona VR Bundle
  • Light Tracer
  • Operation Warcade
  • Pixel Ripped 1989
  • Psychonauts In The Rhombus Of Ruin
  • Sea of memories
  • Stifled
  • The American Dream
  • Theseus

Most of these are on sale for a really good price, except for Operation Warcade and Pixel Ripped.  Should I wait for better prices on those two?

#6078 Lonely Boy   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   785 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:00 AM

• Stifled

Stifled is a decent horror game. I wrote about it somewhere in this thread but can't be bothered to look it up. It uses the concept of echolocation to find your surroundings in pitch blackness, so it's an ugly game, but narratively it's solid.

There is a certain irony in using VR technology to experience the deprivation of vision, similar to Blind, which I know I'll end up getting at some point too.

#6079 boneless   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1751 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:26 AM

I have a pretty full cart right now, 8 games for $51.xx plus tax. I am for sure getting Headmaster for $4.99. Played the demo of it and it was pretty awesome. Has weird and unique controls (in a good way) and has lots of dry but hilarious humor in the vein of Portal, Statik, I Expect You to Die, etc.

Probably going to buy:
DreamWorks Voltron VR Chronicles $1.99
Surgeon Simulator: Experience Reality $4.99
The Lost Bear $3.24

Might buy or might wait for further discount:
Time Carnage $9.99
The American Dream $9.99
Shooty Fruity $8.99
Just In Time Incorporated $7.49

Feel free to weigh in and help me decide

I really like shoot fruity but maybe a few bucks cheaper. Still, I wouldn't regret buying it at $9.

#6080 WNYX585AM   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3307 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:21 PM

American Dream is a joke on US gun fanatics. Doesn't have much replayability.

It seems like the joke would get very old and tired after about 5 minutes or so.  Maybe it appeals more to an anti-gun crowd than me, but is it clever enough to warrant a full game?  When I first saw this trailer, I thought it was one of those satire trailers someone made and couldn't possibly be a real game.

#6081 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67661 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:24 PM

https://blog.us.play...ate-october-18/

The Persistence has a big update coming out on 10/18:

New Game Modes

Right now, the game has the main Campaign, plus Survival Mode where you are challenged to play through Campaign again using only 10 clones. The new modes add a massive amount of variety to the game.

• GLASS CANNON: This is an all-action challenge mode which proved really popular at EGX last month. In it, you need to make it through 24 increasingly difficult rooms to get to an escape pod at the far end of the Deck. You get to select a gun at the start of each attempt, which comes with infinite ammo – the downside is that you only have one hit point, and there are no health pickups! Each time you enter a room, the doors lock and the mutants attack. You need to take them out as quickly as possible as the game is against the clock. How quickly can you get to the escape pod?
  • CAMPAIGN+: In Campaign+ you keep all your Gear and Upgrades from your previous Campaign playthrough, and are now challenged with an ultra hardcore difficulty mode. The rules of the game have been changed to make it feel different too. You can no longer use SuperSense to spot enemies hiding in cover, and you will notice that a Bloodhound just keeps following you! To combat this, there are all-new character upgrade levels, and ‘Platinum’ rarity Gear items to give you a fighting chance.
  • FIRST BLOOD: First Blood is a stealth based challenge mode where you need to make your way through another huge procedurally generated deck to the escape pod. Only equipped with a Peacekeeper knife and totally outnumbered, can you sneak your way through to the escape pod?
  • PERMADEATH: As the names suggests, in this mode once you die, that’s it. You’re dead! The challenge is to complete the entire campaign on a single life (it’s not for the faint-hearted!). However, there is a big change that makes a big difference. There are Deck Porters in this mode that take you instantly between all Decks, and to Recovery, to quickly upgrade and buy Gear.

All-New Accessibility Features

We really focused on designing The Persistence to be a tough challenge, but we also believe that games should be fun and inclusive for players of different skill levels, and also for players with disabilities. It’s because of this we have included a comprehensive suite of accessibility features with this update. You can check some of them out in this video.

Assist Mode

You can turn on Assist Mode in the Pause Menu at any time, in any Mode or Playthrough. It gives you fine tuning of the game’s difficulty to help you get through parts of the game that are proving too challenging.

• Game speed. Slows down the game speed to assist players with less ability to react quickly.
  • Damage. Reduce the damage taken to help survive longer.
  • Infinite teleport. Get around more quickly with less reliance on the Sticks.
  • Infinite ammo. Ideal for players with less ability to aim with their head.
  • All enemies ‘tagged’. See enemies through walls at all times, to reduce the need for quick reactions.
  • Auto shield. Automatically deploy the shield reducing the need for fast twitch reactions.

Assistance For Hearing Impaired Gamers

For hearing impaired gamers there are several features to make the game more inclusive, most notably, the visual representation of key audio events. A lot of the strategy in The Persistence comes from hearing where the danger is and reacting to it, so displaying this information on screen gives that vital communication to all players.

#6082 Lonely Boy   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   785 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:35 PM

It seems like the joke would get very old and tired after about 5 minutes or so.  Maybe it appeals more to an anti-gun crowd than me, but is it clever enough to warrant a full game?  When I first saw this trailer, I thought it was one of those satire trailers someone made and couldn't possibly be a real game.

It’s a coming of age story told through gunplay. Seriously the most fun rail shooter I’ve ever played. I’m sure it might offend the most serious political-minded people, but it was made by a bunch of Australians. The satire is strong with this one.

#6083 cbulas1   John 3:16 CAGiversary!   964 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:25 PM

I went with all of the following PSVR games as part of this sale (all of which are at their lowest price ever on PSN):

Job Simulator

Manifest 99

Super Stardust Ultra VR

Headmaster

Virry VR: Wild Encounters

Thumper

$38.xx total- easily the most I've spent on PSN in a long, long time!

#6084 etterrules   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   116 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

etterrules

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:34 PM

I have a lot of games I’m looking at and in my cart. What would your top 5-8 recommendations be:

Shooty Fruity
Sports Bar VR
The Lost Bear
The American Dream
Just in Time
Manifest 99
Stifled
Job Simulator
Time Carnage
Floor Plan
I Expect You to Die
Matterfall
Arizona Sunshine

Thanks

#6085 Kain   Dragoon CAGiversary!   938 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:00 PM

Man, I wish I had your guys' problem. Not a single item in my wishlist on sale and nothing from the sale I want that I don't already have. Guess I'll have to continue watching video reviews of some of the others to see if they look any good.

Anyone know if they ever implemented full locomotion in Kona? (Hopefully without that cone of blackness that Here They Lie uses?)

Even though it's not on sale, Home Sweet Home looks interesting. But $30 for a game with 11 trophies and no platinum is kind of heartbreaking. 

#6086 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67661 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:48 PM

We got a new deal that finally joins the party:

Superhypercube - $8.24 - 45% Off - $6.74 - 55% Off - Ends 10/23

Highly recommended.

#6087 etterrules   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   116 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

etterrules

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:49 PM

That game looks pretty cool. I’ll add it to my never ending list of VR games to get on sale.

#6088 deadofnight   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   792 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

deadofnight

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:02 AM

So far I'm looking at Dick Wilde, Happy Drummer, and Psychonauts. The sale lasts for two weeks, so I have time to look up more reviews and any possible demos.

I was also hoping The Brookhaven Experiment would go on sale. Maybe it will show up in the Halloween sale.

Since I might not be getting much I'm tempted to get Astrobot, but I'll just wait another month or two. Usually we get PSN discount codes in November and December. It's possible I might even be able to use a Gamestop certificate and a 20% off birthday code on a used copy. From the website I see some stores already have used copies, but they're 80 miles away.

#6089 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Four Roses Single Barrel CAGiversary!   1900 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:10 AM

I watched some gameplay, yeah seems more anti-gun than anything. And the satire thing is exactly what I was thinking.. waiting for the real game to start.

#6090 Moonbathing  

Moonbathing

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:24 AM

I have a lot of games I’m looking at and in my cart. What would your top 5-8 recommendations be:

Shooty Fruity
Sports Bar VR
The Lost Bear
The American Dream
Just in Time
Manifest 99
Stifled
Job Simulator
Time Carnage
Floor Plan
I Expect You to Die
Matterfall
Arizona Sunshine

Thanks

Arizona Sunshine

Sports Bar VR

Job Simulator

Those 3 are all great IMO.  I can't speak on the rest since I haven't played them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Playstation VR