* * * * - 13 votes

Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

Playstation VR

#6781 TerribleGamer   Just.... terrible. CAG Newbie   9 Posts   Joined 0.1 Years Ago  

TerribleGamer

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:54 AM

I got my PSVR today, it was the Moss/Astrobot bundle... so now I’m waiting for all these virtual realities to download

#6782 Renzler   Dude CAG Veteran   942 Posts   Joined 0.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:53 PM

Newegg has some PSVR bundles for 20% off MSRP today only using coupon code "emctuut36". $240+tax for Astrobot/Moss bundle and $280 for Borderlands/Beat Saber. Not as good as the holiday deal, but still better than MSRP.

#6783 bmulligan   I am not a number CAGiversary!   6078 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:45 PM

There's really no excuse NOT to buy Wipeout for $6

#6784 gmsick   $50,000... CASH!!! CAGiversary!   1435 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:49 AM

It seems like one of those games that'll be free on PS plus. I'll wait. 

#6785 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Four Roses Single Barrel CAGiversary!   2322 Posts   Joined 4.1 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:47 PM

Dont like wipeout? If it was free i still would probably pass.. well since its VR id do it for demos for non VR people i guess.

#6786 sirpikaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   823 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:02 PM

new to VR, what on this list is a must buy? Opinions please :) I only have beat sabre and Borderlands2.

#6787 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   492 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:05 PM

new to VR, what on this list is a must buy? Opinions please :) I only have beat sabre and Borderlands2.

Moss

Astro Bot

Resident Evil 7

Farpoint (with Aim controller)

#6788 TerribleGamer   Just.... terrible. CAG Newbie   9 Posts   Joined 0.1 Years Ago  

TerribleGamer

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:26 PM

Video Games!!!!!

#6789 ackbar7   Flamble CAGiversary!   3185 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:46 PM

The recommendations above are all good, if you are looking at some cheaper games Eagle Flight, Carnival Game and Solus Project are all worth the $5-6 they are currently.

#6790 Owen Quillion  

Owen Quillion

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:50 PM

I'm just gonna post a few a lot of thoughts on the games in the sale I've played:

Cold Iron is an interesting little game. It starts as a quick Old West quickdraw duel game, and through the short campaign is essentially a series of fast-reaction puzzles building on that theme in completely different environments. The duels are first-to-5 wins, so it can feel a bit repetitive early and be frustrating later. There are three levels with three duels in each, and you have to beat the whole level in one go. These are followed by a stupidly hard 'standard' duel and then a final boss that remixes a lot of what you've seen already. There are also a handful of shooting gallery challenges. It controls well and feels good to play.

If you're into that old-school arcade style of replaying for mastery, it's fairly meaty; as a one-and-done experience the story game it's short but sweet, if you like Old West trappings.

End Space I haven't played a ton of, but to my understanding it's the only full single-player space pilot dogfighty-game available for PSVR. I've played enough to say it's competent but not much else.

Gunjack is arcadey fun. You're basically manning a turret on a starship (kind of like those scenes in the original Star Wars trilogy where Han and Luke shoot TIEs from the Millennium Falcon). You're essentially gunning down waves of enemies in various formations. Classic sort of gameplay and it's dirt cheap.

Raw Data is one of my favorite games on the platform. It's a character-based wave shooter with some light tower defense elements. There's a good deal of variety between enemy types and how each character deals with them, 9 levels and various difficulties, a lot of replayability, and a decent narrative. Some of the controls are a little dodgy (I have never been able to pull off Saija's charge attack) and I did crash at the end of one level that was apparently once notorious for it, but I've certainly gotten my money's worth.

Resident Evil 7 is a must play. The atmosphere is great, it matches the tension of the original Resident Evil trilogy without totally throwing out the action elements of RE4 and beyond, and is generally a lot of fun to creep through the environments figuring out the puzzles and occasionally blowing away the bioweapons. The narrative isn't great but all the voice actors and such are excellent.

I feel like the Gold Edition is worth it; you get one of the two mini-campaigns (the other is technically free) that play quite differently (and more action-oriented) to tie up loose plot ends. The rest of the DLC is 'Banned Footage' which varies a bit more; you have a wave shooter type mode where you collect resources to build gear to stay alive for several waves, a short prequel of what happened to set off the events of the game, an escape room type game where you have to solve puzzles while avoiding the attention of a monster, and a very variant blackjack played under the watchful eyes of one of the gore-obsessed psychos from the main game.

The Solus Project is mostly a good game if you appreciate the genre. It bills itself as a survival game, but it's really an exploration/puzzle focused game where you occasionally have to manage your temperature and food/water. The atmosphere is great, the voice acting is superb (though there isn't much of it), and the gameplay is pretty solid if you're into it, though I feel the survival elements are too simple for enthusiasts and too annoying for casuals (note that you CAN turn these off).

The narrative is a garbled mess and I intensely dislike the ending, but the journey is worth it.

Sprint Vector is a game I'm just getting into, but I can really appreciate what it's going for. It's a novel racing game based around a simple sprint-like arm motion using the Moves. There's a lot of potential to it, but it's definitely the kind of thing you've got to develop your skills with to be any good at.

Ultrawings is a civilian flight sim often described as 'like Pilotwings'. You use the moves to operate all the bits in the cockpit, you do various flying through rings and popping balloons and taking pictures on a small chain of ~4 major islands. I'm not a big connoisseur of flight sims, but it strikes a nice balance between control complexity and arcade-y flying. It's a tad grindy (though I think a recent update adjusted this), but there are four planes to try and a LOT of missions to tackle. I recommend it if you're looking for a flight game that doesn't involve combat.

Wipeout is another one I haven't spent enough time with, but it's an exhilarating arcadey racer, especially if you aren't prone to motion sickness and turn off all the comfort options. All I can say is for $6 it's a real steal if you're at all into racing games.

#6791 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   11936 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:44 AM

So I was browsing the Gamestop website earlier today and noticed that this game apparently got a physical release:

Roller Coaster Tycoon Joyride

https://www.gamestop...ide-psvr/169908

Only 1 Gamestop within 250 miles of me has it in stock.  The thing is I can't remember it ever being up for preorder, or even in stock new.  Anyone know how long ago it came out?  Does anyone besides Gamestop sell it?

#6792 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6016 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:49 AM

So I was browsing the Gamestop website earlier today and noticed that this game apparently got a physical release:

Roller Coaster Tycoon Joyride

https://www.gamestop...ide-psvr/169908

Only 1 Gamestop within 250 miles of me has it in stock.  The thing is I can't remember it ever being up for preorder, or even in stock new.  Anyone know how long ago it came out?  Does anyone besides Gamestop sell it?

Walmart.com has it.  It showed up on their site in early December.

#6793 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   11936 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:38 PM

Walmart.com has it.  It showed up on their site in early December.

Sounds like about the time that the other Atari releases came out that Best Buy and some other retailers don't seem to be carrying.

#6794 Jurai  

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:17 PM

QVC re-auth'd my PSVR bundle, still not getting my hopes up on ever getting a shipment though

#6795 space_space   CAG 4 LYFE CAGiversary!   729 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

space_space

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:05 PM

Finally broke down and bought Beat Saber at full price. The first vr game to get me to do that. Watch it go on sale next week. Otherwise awesome game, got me sweating good. Already wishing we had more songs in it though.

#6796 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   492 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:27 PM

Beat Saber has only had 2 songs come out since launch.  They said they had 3 10-packs in the works to be released soon so I'd expect one of them to come out in the near future.

I have a lot of fun trying to beat my high scores on expert and I still don't have S grade on all levels on expert yet nor full combos.  Full combos are going to be hard to get for all songs, if I can even do it.  I have S on like probably 12 songs on expert though.  There are only like 1 or 2 songs that I don't really like, but when playing them they are still fun.

#6797 frankmackeyspam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   443 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

frankmackeyspam

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:20 PM

There appears to be a new demo for The Persistence:

https://store.playst...RONTIER25202048

#6798 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   492 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:41 PM

Try out Firewall Zero Hour this weekend for free if you have PS+

Too bad you need PS+ to try it out.  If I could try it out and liked it, then maybe I would get PS+ again.

#6799 Omega X  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:41 PM

PlayStation VR Demo Disc 3 for Free.

Here’s what you get:
• ASTRO BOT Rescue Mission (JAPAN Studio)
• Battlezone (Rebellion)
• Headmaster (Frame Interactive)
• Job Simulator* (OWLCHEMY LABS)
• Moss (Polyarc)
• KITCHEN (Capcom CO., LTD.)
• SUPERHOT VR* (SUPERHOT Team)
• The Persistence (Firesprite)
• Thumper (Drool)

https://store.playst...SVRDEMODISK0003

#6800 Retroxcellance   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1327 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Retroxcellance

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:59 PM

Here’s what you get:
• Battlezone (Rebellion)
• Moss (Polyarc)
• Thumper (Drool)

I have Thumper for the Switch. This will be a good chance to try it out in VR to see if it's worth buying twice. Thanks for the heads up

#6801 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   492 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:05 PM

Thumper is already on one of the demo discs, as are like half of those games.

#6802 intelligentidiot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   713 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

intelligentidiot

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:11 PM

The Persistence has dropped to $21.97 at GameStop: https://www.gamestop...sistence/165220

I'll have to try out the demo and see if it's worth picking up.

#6803 pun123   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3076 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:25 PM

Here’s what you get:
• Battlezone (Rebellion)
• Moss (Polyarc)
• Thumper (Drool)

Astro Bot is very cool, really surprised me the cool ideas in this game.

#6804 Owen Quillion  

Owen Quillion

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:46 PM

Thumper is already on one of the demo discs, as are like half of those games.

There are only two games that aren't on one of the other demo discs - Astrobot and Superhot. I dunno if there's a difference in the demos between discs, but Battlezone, Thumper, and Job Simulator are back for the third time.

The Persistence has dropped to $21.97 at GameStop: https://www.gamestop...sistence/165220

I'll have to try out the demo and see if it's worth picking up.

My copy's still in shipping, but I was pretty much sold on 'VR game with roguelike elements' when I first played the Demo Disc 2 demo, which I'm pretty sure is older than the one mentioned a page or two back. Supposedly the newer one is a better showcase of the mechanics. I seem to recall having difficulty getting acclimated to head aiming, which may or may not be a dealbreaker, but overall the demo was competent enough to lead me to risk my ~$20 on it.

#6805 splattered   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   532 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

splattered

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:10 AM

Should we delete demo #2 and snag #3 in its place to save space? I'm interested in checking out Superhot in VR but dont want to double up on demo collections.

#6806 Deadpool   I club baby seals CAGiversary!   2399 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:50 AM

Should we delete demo #2 and snag #3 in its place to save space? I'm interested in checking out Superhot in VR but dont want to double up on demo collections.

Superhot is awesome in VR. Top 5 easy.

#6807 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68080 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:49 PM

https://blog.us.play...lable-tomorrow/

There's going to be a Hikaru Utada VR Experience out tomorrow with performances of her Kingdom Hearts theme and KH3 ending theme.

#6808 JokerCard   Go,go Gadget Cheapskates! CAGiversary!   1749 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

JokerCard

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:58 PM

QVC re-auth'd my PSVR bundle, still not getting my hopes up on ever getting a shipment though

I called up QVC yesterday when I noticed the bundle was back in stock. They were able to approve a new order with the same price of $89.96 after mine was canceled. After tax and shipping, it came out to about $115 and I just saw it was updated to shipped status!

Now to sell off my launch release headset. 

#6809 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68080 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:16 PM

The new deal this week:

Guns’n’Stories: Bulletproof VR - $13.99 - 30% Off - $11.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/6

The current deals:

CoolPaintrVR - $7.99 - 60% Off - $6.99 - 65% Off - Ends 1/18

Mind Labyrinth VR Dreams - $19.99 - 20% Off - Ends 1/18

New demos:

Eden Tomorrow

PlayStation VR Demo DIsc 3

New Release:

Kingdom of Blades - $9.99

#6810 Moonbathing  

Moonbathing

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:24 PM

I called up QVC yesterday when I noticed the bundle was back in stock. They were able to approve a new order with the same price of $89.96 after mine was canceled. After tax and shipping, it came out to about $115 and I just saw it was updated to shipped status!

Now to sell off my launch release headset. 

Why would you sell your launch headset?  You won't get very much for it and you'll want it as a back up in case your new one ever kicks the bucket.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Playstation VR